*WARNING* Unlocking to other network BREAKS MMS

Search This thread

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
To anyone intending to buy an Omnia7 and unlock it to put on another network...

BEWARE - MMS WILL NOT WORK.

Theres no way to change MMS settings for your new carrier.

I bought one a couple of days ago, and fell into this trap. The phone is going back as a consequence.

at45

Oct 31, 2008
MMS and other network settings can usually be configured via SMS. I'd call the new provider first and ask them to send you such a message. The phone should act on the information automatically.

Let me know if this works.

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
MMS and other network settings can usually be configured via SMS. I'd call the new provider first and ask them to send you such a message. The phone should act on the information automatically.

Let me know if this works.

Good suggestion, but we already tried that. They sent two SMS, neither were received. Standard SMS works fine.

I assume Wp7 cannot be configured in this way

Necroman_AI

Apr 26, 2010
You must use an app that can configure those options or try to find them on the test app of the Samsung...

This is because carriers block the auto configuration that WP7 makes use with the card you have inserted.

HTC made an app for that and i think LG can be configurated on the MFG app...

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
You must use an app that can configure those options or try to find them on the test app of the Samsung...

This is because carriers block the auto configuration that WP7 makes use with the card you have inserted.

HTC made an app for that and i think LG can be configurated on the MFG app...
it appears Samsung also made an app, but me, and all the reviewers on the marketplace cannot get it to work. I'm left with a phone which can't support MMS. Very frustrated :-(

Necroman_AI

Apr 26, 2010
it appears Samsung also made an app, but me, and all the reviewers on the marketplace cannot get it to work. I'm left with a phone which can't support MMS. Very frustrated :-(

Thats really bad! Well i'm sure carriers will eventually get a WP7 configuration later, but can you try to obtain support from Samsung on the non working app?

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
Thats really bad! Well i'm sure carriers will eventually get a WP7 configuration later, but can you try to obtain support from Samsung on the non working app?

I will have a go with Samsung, but I`m not holding out much hope. It appears the carrier (Three) is blocking the configuration application from working. The only other thing I can think of is flashing the firmware with a stock samsung version. Anyone know if thats a possibility??

I`ve just been down to the 3 shop, and they won`t accept the phone back, because its been unlocked, funnily enough they didn`t mention this when I bought the phone and told them I`d be using it on O2.... I`ll speak to trading standards as well.

The saga continues.

at45

Oct 31, 2008
I`ve just been down to the 3 shop, and they won`t accept the phone back, because its been unlocked, funnily enough they didn`t mention this when I bought the phone and told them I`d be using it on O2.... I`ll speak to trading standards as well.

If you bought it in store and it's not faulty and is fit for purpose then they don't have to do anything as far as I'm aware. If you bought it remotely (online/phone) then you can return it without giving a reason within 14 days.

But since you've unlocked it that returns guarantee won't apply anymore as it's not in the condition it was in when sold. Your only grounds would be a fault or not fit for purpose, and the purpose was to work on the 3 network which I assume it does. And in neither case would they be obliged to give you a refund, just a replacement (which presumably would be locked to 3 again).

If I were you, I'd ask your preferred service provider (the new one) to re-flash it in their service centre, as that'll probably be their version of the firmware with their MMS settings. There will probably be a charge since they didn't supply the phone.

Have you checked if the Samsung Diagnostics tool can help you out?

josquin

Feb 27, 2006
I have a T-Mobile UK phone unlocked and I'm using it on AT&T in the US. I have the same problem.

Everything else works great on the phone (including 3G) but not MMS.

secany

Nov 9, 2008
I think I can help you relock it again.
Please try *7465625*638*XXXXXXXX#
which XXXXXXXX is an random number or the code you got from me before :)

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
Try doing a factory reset on the phone while you have the new SIM you want to use in the phone.

Yea, tried that, no dice.

We`ve decided to keep the phone, despite MMS not working (its a gift for my wife). Sh`ll email pictures instead, which is annoying but hopefully a fix for this will come out soon.

asim252

Nov 22, 2010
Data Too?

Apologies if this may seem like a dumb question, but is accessing data (e.g. 3g) on your unlocked phone (on a different sim) also affected or is it just MMS?

Cheers,
Asim

Necroman_AI

Apr 26, 2010
I thinks these issues only happend on locked phones that were unlocked after or even unlocked ones that carriers sell. This is because the carriers are blocking the autoconfig of WP7 for MMS and other stuff. I sure thought that MS would not allow this kind of stuff...

ZaForD

Jul 17, 2006
To be fair, who still actually uses MMS?
You just bought a phone that is heavily oriented around data plans.
Emails are free, MMSs are not.

No offence intended here.

Thats pretty much what I thought when I herd you couldn't MMS.
not that I've ever sent one :)

But it is another dirty trick the Mobile TelCo's are playing on us.
I've tried the Samsung Network Profile app with O2, Giffgaff, T-Mobile, Virgin, Tesco, 3 and Orange sims all with the same result...
'This Application can't be launched with your Mobile Operator'

mwako

Nov 21, 2010
www.haydoncs.co.uk
Yup. My phones mostly been living off Wifi

Didn't think many people bought smartphones for the "phone aspect" heh

Data connection when i'm out.

Few phone calls.......whatever they are now.....

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
To be fair, who still actually uses MMS?
You just bought a phone that is heavily oriented around data plans.
Emails are free, MMSs are not.

No offence intended here.

With respect, my wife uses MMS, and as its her phone, its not unreasonable for her to be able to use that function, is it????

Yes, she can use email to achieve a similar function, but you will already know that MMS has some distinct advantages over email (auto resizing pictures, compatibility with phones which don`t support receiving email, push delivery to all devices).

For these reasons, your implied assertion that MMS and Email are interchangable, is a long way off the mark.

Oh, and emails are not free - they consume your data allowance. I don`t know the price differential is between MMS charges, but my point is they aint free.

I`m sorry if this comes across as shirty, but implying that this isn`t a problem is not very helpful.

Last edited:

Nowaynoway

May 6, 2007
Jeddah
guys,

i have found the following solution of the internet and i need your advise:

MFG is a hidden admin app on the phone. Here are the steps -- !!! use at your own risk !!!:

1. Go to the phone app
2. Dial ##634# and click Send
3. When prompted for a password type 277634#*#
4. You should now be at "Factory Menu"
5. Choose "Engineer Menu"
6. Choose "Other Setting"
7. Verify that "Set ADC" is set to Enable
8. From the "Other Setting" page, choose "Set network profile"
9. You should now be on the "Set network profile" page and in the bottom half of the window you should see a list of *.xml files. These appear to be the network configuration files.
10. Look at the filenames for the config files and take your best guess at which one to choose for your provider. I'm on AT&T and I fixed the MMS problem by choosing "_PROV_ATT_US_310_410.xml"

After you choose that *.xml profile, your MMS should be working.

what do you think ???????????????