[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working)

Search This thread

yellofello99

Aug 1, 2010
what is update.zip is it the root_FRF83.zip or something else?? Also it says make sure it is not on the sd card at this point. I am confused about those few steps (2, 8-13). PLEASE HELP!!!!

KvChaos

Jul 8, 2010
what is update.zip is it the root_FRF83.zip or something else?? Also it says make sure it is not on the sd card at this point. I am confused about those few steps (2, 8-13). PLEASE HELP!!!!
Have you correctly extracted all the files in ROOT_FRF83.zip into your SDK tools folder. If you did this correctly you should be able to see a loop file inside your SDK tools folder.

AAAAAHHHH!!!

I have been trying for about an hour now and I'm still stuck on #14! I don't know if I'm not hitting enter at the right time or what, but I've tried a couple dozen times and I cannot get it to root.

I keep getting "signature verification failed"

Any tips?

Last edited:

yellofello99

Aug 1, 2010
I am worried about rooting my phone I think it will be fine but can someone reassure me and or guide me through the process

mhamen3

Aug 3, 2010
Help!

I'm hurtin'

I need help updating from EPE76 to FRF85B. EPE76 is really messing up my phone: constant black screens, calls that won't go through and text messages that won't send (even though I have service).

So basically, could you guys direct me to a place that can tell me how to update to FRF85B so I can follow the original tutorial? Or, could you give me the steps to do so? I'm very new to this, so messing with my Nexus was a mistake from the beginning. I'm pretty much saying: treat me like an idiot and give me every little step necessary.

I'd really apreciate the help guys.

Thanks a lot.

yellofello99

Aug 1, 2010
How do i get back from epe76 to frf91 with froyo because it doesnt update or anything so i just want to get back to the regular one frf91 with froyo please respond

mhoulmont

Aug 29, 2010
On step 20 I keep getting "/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory"

Any ideas? The file is there. Thanks a bunch.

fzr-r4

Sep 7, 2010
Berkeley
alternate method to root w/o unlocking bootloader

Sorry if this was covered in this thread or another, but here's what I did for full root without unlocking the bootloader:

(1) rooted using Universal Androot from FRF91.
(2) installed busybox (one method here: http://zedomax.com/blog/2010/07/07/android-hack-how-to-install-busybox-on-your-android/)
(3) Install RA Recovery 1.7.0.1 using Rom Manager from the Market
(4) Install whatever ROM I wanted with full root (I prefer Geo411m's "stock" ROMs and NazTech's Fast FroYo ROMs.

My boot screen is still the N1 "X" without the unlocked symbol, and I should be able to restore to stock recovery and a stock ROM if I want to.

Last edited:

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Dude, this is really old, there are apps to do it for you now, depending on your build. Look up SuperOneClick, Z4root, VISIONary+