[Q] Really need to charge the battery of the device 30 minutes before turning it on?

Search This thread

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
I have this doubt since purchasing the Xperia Z!

As soon buy my Xperia Z2 and the store where I will buy it is difficult to leave the charging device 30 minutes before turning it on to test it!

kersey

May 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
As difficult as it was I let mine charge for an hour or so before I used it. Not sure if I needed to but was in work at the time so had a few things to keep me busy while charging

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
My phone had 62% battery when I recieved it. Probably my contractor that installed some apps and charged it. I didn't charge it untill it was empty.

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
I wonder what is the need to leave charging for 30 minutes before turning on the device for the first time since the other brands of devices do not need it!

pauliebb

Aug 30, 2009
I wonder what is the need to leave charging for 30 minutes before turning on the device for the first time since the other brands of devices do not need it!

Mine also came with 60% battery when I got it, I think its normal to keep a charge in the battery because it helps battery life.

I let mine drain right down that first day then I charged to 100% overnight.

I currently get to end of day with around 50-60% left

dilema

Sep 15, 2008
Radelaide
You should always charge them to full before first use. The charge that's in there is only a manufacturing charge, which is enough to keep the cells active.
Also, you shouldn't drain it completely. Lithium works best from around 30%-80% charge.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

Sep 20, 2011
Londrina
You should always charge them to full before first use. The charge that's in there is only a manufacturing charge, which is enough to keep the cells active.
Also, you shouldn't drain it completely. Lithium works best from around 30%-80% charge.

What I find strange is why other brands of devices do not have this rule??

raducanmihai

Aug 24, 2011
Brașov
Li-ion batteries don't need to be fully charged before first use. They don't suffer from "memory" like Ni-Cd. But it is true that for best life you should charge it between 20/30%- 80%. If you plan on storing the phone without use for a long time, best is to charge it to 50-60% (not 100%) and put it away.

Go use and enjoy your phones!

PS: A few laptop manufacturers (like Samsung) have an "extended battery life" mode that you can enable where the battery stops charging at 80%.

dilema

Sep 15, 2008
Radelaide
What I find strange is why other brands of devices do not have this rule??

Not all devices may say it, but all should be charged before initial use.

Li-ion batteries don't need to be fully charged before first use. They don't suffer from "memory" like Ni-Cd. But it is true that for best life you should charge it between 20/30%- 80%. If you plan on storing the phone without use for a long time, best is to charge it to 50-60% (not 100%) and put it away.

Go use and enjoy your phones!

PS: A few laptop manufacturers (like Samsung) have an "extended battery life" mode that you can enable where the battery stops charging at 80%.

You're right, they don't have the memory effect, but they do need charging before use. But yea, storing with at least 2/3rd charge is best.
BTW I sell batteries for a living, have done for 15 years.

Sh4dovv

Apr 1, 2014
Ok so is the correct answer yes, charge for 30mins or not necessary? Seems both sides of argument has support:confused:

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
Ok so is the correct answer yes, charge for 30mins or not necessary? Seems both sides of argument has support:confused:

As an electrical engineer I have to say: You should charge it before first use. 30 mins charge should be fine.

Well, it might be not so obvious for the battery in Z2, as it was manufactured not a long time ago, but it could end up in battery degradation, if the battery has been stored for a long period of time without usage.

edge3uk

Dec 26, 2010
I charged my first z2 for half an hour, and my second one was up and getting flashed within ten mins. I actually found the second one to be better on battery. I do agree that if the phone has been sat dormant for a long while you should charge, but as these things have literally just been made it'll make zero difference.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.