64Gb Micro SD card

Search This thread

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Hi
May I know how long do you need to format the 64GB SDHC in 7.7??
It seems like very very very long, and I thought is hang so I just stop it.
Then the card is crash, and not able to detect by my 7.7 and macbook.
Endup I format it in my camera and it can be use by my 7.7.

My question is if I format the card in 7.7, how long will it take??
I thought want to reformat it in 7.7.

I had the same problem with my 64g class 10 card that arrived yesterday.

After spending 5hrs trying to format fat32 in windows, linux and mac, Various cameras (they rebooted! never seen a camera reboot).

I couldn't get my 7.7 to show the format option in ICS.

I RMA'd it this morning.

Have another one coming and hoping that is OK....

Not sure if I should get a class 6 instead (same price in the UK though).

It also seems the card drops speed to class 6 anyway when its not formatted in exFAT. So an S3 with fully utilise it, but not the 7.7 (unless we can get an exFAT driver from the S3).

Last edited:

wailoon

Oct 4, 2005
For those expert that successfully use 64GB sdcard.

What is the class of your sdcard??
What is the OS of your 7.7 (HC or ICS)??
Is your 7.7 rooted??
Your 7.7 is using custom firmware or stock firmware??

I hope these question can help us to figure out how to format our sdcard and successfully use it in our 7.7.

Thanks.

GooG2e

Aug 14, 2010
For those expert that successfully use 64GB sdcard.

What is the class of your sdcard??
What is the OS of your 7.7 (HC or ICS)??
Is your 7.7 rooted??
Your 7.7 is using custom firmware or stock firmware??

I hope these question can help us to figure out how to format our sdcard and successfully use it in our 7.7.

Thanks.
Class6
I used HC, but now use ICS
I have root
HC was custom, ICS is stock

bex0rs

Nov 15, 2010
I was able to get my 64 GB Class 10 working with my Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 (stock HC, non-rooted).

This is the card I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WTAJTO

I wasn't able to format the card on the tablet. So I tried creating an NTFS partition on the card under Windows, which worked, but after moving the card back to the tablet, I still wasn't able to format it (as FAT32).

When I checked the partition table on the card using fdisk (Linux), I noticed some odd entries, including a "DiskSecure Multi-Boot" entry at the beginning. I decided to blow away the existing partition table using "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=100". This writes 100MB of zeroes to device sdb. This is more than is needed, but it also serves as a quick write speed benchmark. The device name may be different on your system, so be careful if you do this.

After the partition table was cleared by the above dd command, I ran fdisk again and created a new "W95 FAT32(LBA)" partition starting at sector 2048 (1MB offset) and spanning the entire available area. Then I formatted the new partition by running "mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sdb1". Again, the device name may be different on your system.

I put the card back in my tablet and it worked immediately. Total space is 59.45GB.

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Thanks bex0rs, i did try deleting the partition with fdisk, but no effect.

When you formatted ntfs did the format work in windows, as mine just kept hanging the laptop.

I'm presuming with all the I/O errors I was getting.

Edit: And it is the same device that I have... thanks

Max11

Dec 19, 2010
I had similar problem with two SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC class 10. A new card gets recognized from the tablet but after moving some bigger files I got read/write errors. Then the partition table seems corrupted and I cannot format it in any other device.

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
I had similar problem with two SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC class 10. A new card gets recognized from the tablet but after moving some bigger files I got read/write errors. Then the partition table seems corrupted and I cannot format it in any other device.

Interesting, did you finally get a class 10 card that works without issue?

Max11

Dec 19, 2010
I wrote a new partition table and the card works fine on Windows and Linux. At the moment I cannot test it with my P6800.

wailoon

Oct 4, 2005

I believe this is my problem also.
After my first format I can copy some files into the card.
But after I tried to copy some movies in, it start not functioning well.
I can even detect it in my Macbook and Windows.
I can only detect it in my camera and Acer Iconia a500. But both also not able to format or write something into it.
I believe the partition table is somehow corrupted also.

Any idea how to fix this??

Zenin

Jun 18, 2012
Be warned that 64gb class 10 does not work on honeycomb. No amount of formatting by using different programs or using other phones to format. I have been through 2 cards already both got completely corrupted.

Has anyone using ICS had luck using 64GB Ultra class 10?

bex0rs

Nov 15, 2010
Thanks bex0rs, i did try deleting the partition with fdisk, but no effect.

When you formatted ntfs did the format work in windows, as mine just kept hanging the laptop.

I'm presuming with all the I/O errors I was getting.

Edit: And it is the same device that I have... thanks

Not sure if it makes a difference - but I didn't use fdisk to delete the original partition table. The command, "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=100", wipes it out completely since it is contained within the first 512 bytes of the card, along with the rest of the MBR.

I remember having some issues with the built-in SD card reader in my laptop. It would only recognize about half of the card's capacity. I had to use a USB-SD adapter to format the full capacity as NTFS. I copied a few files back and forth and everything seemed to work fine.

Once the card was in this "stable" state under Windows, I moved it to a Linux box and did the steps I described before to format it as FAT32.

I think that the tablet has some issues with the default partition table on these Sandisk Class 10 cards, but once you create a new partition table it works fine.

Reactions: blackspy_

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Thanks for the info. but mine won't even format.

We need the exFAT driver from the S3 for native support.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2

jonamafun

Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
My Sandisk 64gb Class 6 card works fine. I've formatted it to NTFS, and use NTFS Mount to mount it under Honeycomb.

Funnily enough though, when I take the card out and connect it to my Lexar micro-SD card reader, Windows doesn't recognise it and wants to format it. When I use the supplied micro-SD to SD converter plus a Sandisk SD card reader, Windows recognises it straight away.

No idea what the difference is.

Max11

Dec 19, 2010
Be warned that 64gb class 10 does not work on honeycomb. No amount of formatting by using different programs or using other phones to format. I have been through 2 cards already both got completely corrupted.

Has anyone using ICS had luck using 64GB Ultra class 10?

My last SanDisk card got corrupted with ICS.

ropbin

Dec 25, 2009
I went samsung service center, after 2 times having problem with this weird sd card compatibility issue, I completely destroy 3 64GB sandisk uhs1 class 10 microsd,
than it even have same problem with sandisk 32GB UhS1 class 10 microsd 32GB,
so card is completely destroyed, and cannot use anymore, cannot format,
so , we ( Me and service center engineer) tested, with another galaxytab 2 7.0
it have same problem, I exchange to new one, just bought to test (it spend 40USD) .
same problem, finally I bought kingston 32GB class 10, no problem,
so conclusion is,
1 . it is not because of 64GB, even 32GB Sandisk UHS1 class 10 FAT32 preformatted microsd have same problem,
2. it is not because of class 10, Kingstone 32GB class10 is working without any problem.
3. it happen to not only galaxytab 7.7 also galaxytab 2 7.0 ICS version, probably another Tablet from samsung will be have this issue, I don't want to test any more, it cost a lot, sd card will completely destroyed, so I don't want to pay more to test more.
4. it is not because of honeycomb or ICS relate problem ( I destroyed 2 64GB Sandisk, UHS1 class in honeycomb, and 1 64GB and 1 32GB UHS class 10 sandisk microsd , destroyed in ICS)
5. for my experience, once you formatted with Gparted, or diskpart, and make it work.
but few using, (especially write process inside tab) will make card destroy.
so
untill this issue clear.
don't buy sandisk UHS1 product.

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
New card UHS1 (i.e. class 10 with a number 1 inside a letter U on the card) arrived this morning (had to buy again grrh for speed)

So, card arrived and contrary to the inter web, Lion and Windows 7 couldn't read exFAT out of the box.

Didn't let them touch it.

Loaded the card into its caddy and into an old Dell mini 9 with SDcard slot. Ubuntu couldn't read it natively either.

I formatted immediately to Fat32 in GParted and it was done within seconds (so my other card is definitely dead, as it was taking multiple minutes and not finishing).

I then checked disk in Gparted and all was fine.

Placed the card back in Lion and it was seen immediately.

Copied image of other card across and all was well (much faster copy then other card too).

Then checked card in Lion and check was fine.

Now I placed the card in the 7.7 and held my breath!

'Mounting SD CARD' message appeared where before it would say 'Card Safe to Remove'; it now didn't say anything.

Checking in 'Storage' the card showed up as 59.43g available.

Its only been in 10 mins, but Spotify is downloading files to it, so it seems OK.

I think keeping the card away from the tablet until its safely reformatted is the key, otherwise the tab seems to scree up the card.

The other card will be for an future S3 which supports exFat out of the box, but hopefully this will continue to work as FAT32 for the moment.

Updated to clarify card type.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PSA RE: SanDisk 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10

I've been sent here by On2 from SlickDeals (well, I frequent the HTC Touch Pro2 sub-forums, but I hope this information is relevant).

If this works, can you help spread the word? Otherwise, let me know and I'll take it down.

So here we go!!

-----------

Hi, been busy, but meant to get back to you. I finally got my hands on this card, and yes, they (SanDisk) did do something stupid on this 64GB C10 card vs the older C6 card.

The old 64GB C6 card just had 1 partition, one large 59.4GB (after format) drive

After further inspection of the C10 card, I found out that SanDisk stupidly added in an offset of 16MB at the beginning of the card
    (which might house that weird secure stuff that SanDisk has, but not necessary).
    I found this out through the info that the person in this thread was talking about "blowing away the SanDisk Secure MultiBoot in Linux", but I'm a Windows user, so... :p
    I'll post up a screen shot (and a formal thread of this problem later)

Basically, in order to get rid of it: (in Windows)
    - Press Start
    - type "partition", and the link "Create and format hard disk partitions" should pop up
    (alternatively, you can just type diskmgmt.msc)

Disk Management will load up at this point. You should see a list of all the drives you have.
    - Find your 64GB MicroSDXC. You should see that it's divided into 2 sections, one 16MB "empty" partition, and one 59.45GB exFAT partition (See Screenshot #1)
    - Normally you could just Right Click on the partition and delete the partition to combine the empty space, but Disk Management won't let you do it in this case.
    - (that means, when you guys were formatting it in Windows, you were only formatting the main partition, but never touched the 16MB hidden partition)

Now, in order to format your drive so it's 1 whole piece:

- Go to start, type in cmd
    - Right click on cmd, and select "run as Administrator"
    - command line will start w/ Admin privileges

Here, you need to run a program called DiskPart. It helps you "clean" hard drives that have many partitions that aren't normally accessible.
    - from cmd line, type diskpart
    - a new command line program will start
    - here, type "list", it will show you a list of commands.
    - type "list disk", find out which disk is your 64GB micro (mine happens to be disk 8)
    - type "select disk #" (# is your disk you want for cleaning)
    - disk # will be selected.
    Very important: Make sure you have the right disk!
    - If you are sure, type in the word "clean". This will completely wipe out the disk that was selected.

See Screenshot #2 for all I did
    After that, you're done, you can exit DiskPart/cmd.

Go back to Disk Management, and now you can see that the whole drive is unallocated.

At this point, you can format your drive (using your Android device or Windows, to FAT32 or exFAT) and it will use up all the space (59.45GB + 16MB = 59.47GB?, lol)
    See Screenshot #3 for after I formatted it all to exFAT
    Sandisk 64GB class 10 UHS-1 MicroSDXC card - Now working fine with Galaxy Tab 7.7

Just to confirm that using the Diskpart method which AkumaX describes in post #106 (with a couple of my own steps added) has worked perfectly for me. Thanks AkumaX! :)

After using Diskpart to "clean" the card, exactly as he describes, I then carried on with Diskpart and used the commands "create partition primary" and "assign letter=s:" (where s is the Windows drive letter that I chose for my newly partitioned card). Windows then automatically offered to format the card for me but I cancelled the request (see next step).

As Windows has a partition size limit of 32GB for FAT32 formatting (although not for reading/writing) I used "FAT32 Formatter" available for free from Ridgecrop (there is a command line version and also a newer GUI version available on their website) which is dead simple to use and I can confirm that it works perfectly. Apparently a cluster size of 4096 Bytes is a good choice for a FAT32 formatted card (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I've written various Audio and Video files to the card and played them back and everything works perfectly on my rooted Galaxy Tab 7.7 running ICS 4.0.4 XXLPL

I hope this helps others who are having problems with their 64GB / class 10 / UHS1 cards :)
    Most manufactures says their devices is supporting microSD up to 32 GB, but really it's just a phrase.

I've tried 65GB microSD on my Galaxy S II and it worked then I tried it on my Galaxy S I also worked !! which made me try it on little Sony Xperia mini and also worked !!!

Just try it, Im sure it will work.
    Yep no problems over here either.. Just need to format the card when it's in the device..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    I tried the SanDisk uhs 64gb but doesn't work. On stock ics 4.0.4 rom though

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium
    SanDisk 64gb ones are a little tricky. They come with a small system partition that messes things up. I had trouble on either stock ICS & JB versions to format a sd-card in the TAB.

Easiest way is to delete that partition in an usb reader on your PC or however possible. Under Linux this is very simple. Under windows it's not that easy since Windows itself denies acces to that partition (it system... wtf?). Solution is a tool like "MiniTool Partition". With that you can inspect and delete any partition an that card.

After that small system part is gone, the sd-card works like a charm.