[TOOL] Task 29 (format internal Memory) without drivers, without mtty.

Search This thread

agent_47

Jan 7, 2009
GÖTEBORG
i thought of re doing doloop's modd for TP2 :)
and here it is :) fully tested to be working :)

now we can mtty our TP2 without having the need of MTTY and its drivers :)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Some of you are making this too difficult. I've posted this before, as this is all that needs to be done. Task29 does not remove your radio or your splash screen. It only clears the ROM, therefore, all you need to do is run Task29 and then flash your ROM. This is how I do it from the PC.

1. Connect to PC via Active Sync/WMDC.
  2. Execute Task 29.
  3. When phone boots to "Touch Pro 2" screen (or whatever your splash screen happens to be), I hold down the volume down button while hitting the reset button.
  4. Once I'm on the Bootloader screen, and it shows "USB", I flash the new ROM from the PC as I normally would.
  5. When the phone vibrates, indicating the ROM upgrade is complete, I disconnect the phone from the computer.

DOWNLOAD:
From here
http://valkyrie.htc-files.com/downloads/roms/valkyrie/rhodium/task29.zip

CREDIT:
all credit goes to doloop for coming up with the idea :)
Hi,

I hex edited RomUpdateUtility.exe so it runs task 29 right after flashing ruu_signed.nbh

As every one understand this command format the rom,

Just unzip and run task29.exe . You may replace ruu_signed.nbh with the radio of your choice.

After the phone reset itself, your old rom will be gone, so it won't boot: binfs has been formated, your phone memory is clean.
You'll need to power up in bootloader mode (press vol down right after power key), then use the leocustomruu.exe provided with your favorite rom package, or flash it from memory card using standard procedure.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5845908&postcount=1

Attachments

• task29.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 21,625
Last edited by a moderator:

agent_47

Jan 7, 2009
GÖTEBORG
May I ask what this is used for?

off course :)
when u flash a rom, you are copying files onto the internal memory (like duh!) but if u repeatadly flash different roms, sometimes files from older version stays behind as when u flash a rom, you just copy and sometimes overwrite files without deleting the older ones. hence at times these older files may create bugs\instability. hardrest donot always fix it.so we use MTTY

read this post to know what made me such a firm fan of mtty.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5898010&postcount=6085

but the thing is, mtty is and can be hard to use for new users. ... for me,, i was having the worst time installin the drivers needed to run mtty on win7 x64. so u i made this tool for me and for all :)

kwill

Jun 15, 2006
Austin, TX
Thanks for simplifying this process agent_47. One question, can we do a backup using spb, then use the tool, reflash a rom and restore the backup? Or does the backup cause those possibly bad or corrupt files to be copied back to the device? Just wondering if I can save some time of setting the rom back up:D

agent_47

Jan 7, 2009
GÖTEBORG
Nice tool. :)
Is it possible to run this tool from mSD card, since my phone cannot connect to PC via USB?
nope....that exe is a win32 app....our device is only a win CE
Thanks for simplifying this process agent_47. One question, can we do a backup using spb, then use the tool, reflash a rom and restore the backup? Or does the backup cause those possibly bad or corrupt files to be copied back to the device? Just wondering if I can save some time of setting the rom back up:D

u can, but i don do that. the max i do is backup some regs. with sooo may different form of wm6.5, i would sta y way from entire system back up....

but to answer ur question, spb backup wont through any bugs related to corrupt file/bad sectoring/mirror files :)

mmicha

Apr 8, 2005
How to flash new stock HTC ROM after Task 29?

Hey, just wondering how I would flash the new stock HTC rom after task 29, as it is just an exe file with no custom RUU?

Thanks!

agent_47

Jan 7, 2009
GÖTEBORG
Hey, just wondering how I would flash the new stock HTC rom after task 29, as it is just an exe file with no custom RUU?

Thanks!
use the custumruu provided with ur rom. eberithing uploaded by me in the archive is only to be used for task29
So I would assume you shouldn't have to hard reset after flashing a rom if you first perform this internal format, correct?
ya....but it wont hurt to do so either
I think he means can we just flash the nbh file from sd card instead of using the ROMUpdateUtility through USB.

either ways, the answer is a no :)

kwill

Jun 15, 2006
Austin, TX
u can, but i don do that. the max i do is backup some regs. with sooo may different form of wm6.5, i would sta y way from entire system back up....

but to answer ur question, spb backup wont through any bugs related to corrupt file/bad sectoring/mirror files :)

Thanks much Agent_47. I only use the backup after I completely set up a rom the way I like it. That way I can quickly go back to that same setup if I have to (crashes or whatever the cause may be). ONLY on the same exact rom though, build and chef. And to make sure I understand, spb backup doesnt touch sectors of internal memory anyway (just reg entries and actual files) , so it shouldn't matter using a backup copy after using task29?

weird?

got a problem, i used the Task29 internal memory format tool from agent_47 to clean im internal memory. put the nbh file on a blank 2gb formatted sd card. put the card inside the rhodium, held down the vol down button and powered on, im in the boot loader but it hasnt progressed anywhere? the connection type says serial... any ideas?

when i just power on my phone, they only thing that shows is the ATT world phone image

Last edited:

agent_47

Jan 7, 2009
GÖTEBORG
weird?

got a problem, i used the Task29 internal memory format tool from agent_47 to clean im internal memory. put the nbh file on a blank 2gb formatted sd card. put the card inside the rhodium, held down the vol down button and powered on, im in the boot loader but it hasnt progressed anywhere? the connection type says serial... any ideas?

yes. because ur not reading instructions......(remane nbh) :p

also if ur nbh is less that 20mb, read post 1 again :)

Last edited:
sorry, i re-read what i wrote, let me rephrase... after i ran your tool from my computer while connected via usb, it finished and rebooted, i them put my rom nbh file (RHODIMG.nbh, 186mb) on a blank sd card, entered boot loader and thats where i am

[SOLUTION FOUND]

i took out the mSD card, loaded into bootloader, and when i plugged in the USB cable, it changed from serial connection to USB and let me flash from my system... ill poke around in the flashing thread for my mSD card issue...

your tool works great!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Zip in post one consistently leads to "Data NED" site, which is foreign and translates (Google) to other than the download.
    Wheres everyone getting this great tool from, sure like to have it, searched through google with no luck yet and still searching, found CDMA download (not going to use it), also the cool set up available to the HD2 owners. But have'nt found a link for my Rhodium yet.
    This is too awesome of a tool, now I feel naked without it (especially all the positive responses I read through 300 of the threads), any help while I continue to search for a link would be appreciated. Thanks.

Two tools are attached to this post. One is the original task29.zip file that used to be in the OP. The other is called an Advanced RUU. I normally use this for flashing ROMs and task29 as it is much simpler. This program says it's for the worldphone version, or CDMA, but it works perfectly fine on the GSM devices as well. The instructions are pretty self explanatory.

Select task28 to flash a ROM.
    Select task29 to format the device.
    Select task32 to flash a splash screen or radio.
    There's absolutely nothing on that label about RHODxxx?
    But on tri color screen is RHOD400?

That's all I see?

Just, so you know for the future, the model number is normally right above the gray portion of the label above the bar code for the IMEI number. Either way, RHOD400 is a CDMA device. Even if you use it on a GSM network, you must always remember to use CDMA tools for it. You have flashed the GSM version of the task29 tool and a GSM ROM. Head over to the CDMA portion of this forum and the task29 tool there that is specifically for your device. You may also want to think about joining PPC Geeks forum. There is considerably more going on over on that site with CDMA devices than here on XDA. Just a thought.

Just keep in mind that GSM and CDMA tools are not interchangeable and you will be just fine in the future.
    Just, so you know for the future, the model number is normally right above the gray portion of the label above the bar code for the IMEI number. Either way, RHOD400 is a CDMA device. Even if you use it on a GSM network, you must always remember to use CDMA tools for it. You have flashed the GSM version of the task29 tool and a GSM ROM. Head over to the CDMA portion of this forum and the task29 tool there that is specifically for your device. You may also want to think about joining PPC Geeks forum. There is considerably more going on over on that site with CDMA devices than here on XDA. Just a thought.

Just keep in mind that GSM and CDMA tools are not interchangeable and you will be just fine in the future.

Thanks for the info,unfortunately that task 29 gives me an error.
    Error 240: File Open
    i have a small problem with my rhodium. i've flashed it plenty of times with roms from energy, about once a month since last year. the problem now is that it freezes on 0% and doesn't go any further. i tried task 29 bu it get an error that my device is not connected to the pc. i did a hard reset and still it doesn't go any further. it seems i am stuck with this rom and can't update it or switch to another one. any ideas ?

Try performing the update from another computer.

Try using a different USB cable.

Flash a ROM directly from the SD card.
    - To do this, rename the NBH file to RHODIMG.nbh and put it in the root directory of your SD card. This will allow you to flash directly from the bootloader.