NEW Root method for Motorola Android Phones

Search This thread

Tschirno

Aug 17, 2010
I downloaded the CG37.smg. I have not changed the file because it already has the size of 200 MB.
If I want to flash the file under LInux with SBF_Flash, I get the error message:

sudo / sbf_flash -r --userdata CG37.smg

cg64 mbr ...
cg37 .. userdata

===CG37.smg ===
Unable to parse header sbf.
Usage: sbf_flash <filename>

Have I missed something?

--------
update:

after several attempts and a new sbf_flash, the 200MB file is now too large

e2fsck tells me that the file is 200MB in size

Now I am a little confused???

---------
update:

after I have reduced the CG37.smg to 150MB, sbf_flash tells me no error message regarding the size. The flash process will not continue.

>> Adding CG37 0xE4400000-0xEFFFFFFF
>> waiting for phone: Connected.
>> uploading RDL03: 100%
-- OK
>> verifying ramloader
-- OK
>> executing ramloader
-- OK
>> waiting for Phone: Connected
>> sending erase

RX(7): [02]ERR[1e][ab][03]
!!failed
>>rebooting

and now? has anyone an idea???

---------------------------------------------

Milestone 2 A953 (Europe/Germany) with Retail Latin American R01 Android 2.3.6

Last edited:

Skelente

Aug 17, 2011
>> Adding CG37 0xE4400000-0xEFFFFFFF
>> waiting for phone: Connected.
>> uploading RDL03: 100%
-- OK
>> verifying ramloader
-- OK
>> executing ramloader
-- OK
>> waiting for Phone: Connected
>> sending erase

RX(7): [02]ERR[1e][ab][03]
!!failed
>>rebooting

and now? has anyone an idea???

---------------------------------------------

Milestone 2 A953 (Europe/Germany) with Retail Latin American R01 Android 2.3.6

Skreelink saw the same error using the Droid X. I tried it and also got an error issuing an erase with CG37. However, when I extracted the SBF and flashed something already in the SBF (like recovery) it went through with no issues. Same goes for a regular SBF flash. I suspect the RDL file simply does not contain the command to erase CG37, as SBFing does not wipe the userdata regularly. I would have thought the XT610 (Droid Pro) would be the same, but I haven't had a chance to download the SBF they're going off of to see.

Skreelink

Nov 28, 2010
Skreelink saw the same error using the Droid X. I tried it and also got an error issuing an erase with CG37. However, when I extracted the SBF and flashed something already in the SBF (like recovery) it went through with no issues. Same goes for a regular SBF flash. I suspect the RDL file simply does not contain the command to erase CG37, as SBFing does not wipe the userdata regularly. I would have thought the XT610 (Droid Pro) would be the same, but I haven't had a chance to download the SBF they're going off of to see.

Maybe inject the RDL from the XT610 into a Droid X SBF and retry it? If that might give the erase to CG37.

depositfiles.com/files/k7mf26dke

I uploaded a gzipped copy of a rooted 604 (Milestone X rootable system that has the same bootloader as 621 DX) clean install with prop edited. Gzip is 56MB compressed, 6.6GB Deflated, 200M resize works, barely. Just incase anyone else is testing it. :)

Note; It took me a good long while and a few attempts to do this... Lots of internal data is awesome, but a FAT32 16GB microSD can't handle a 6.6GB file ;) good ol' filesize limit, had to pipe through gzip.

Tschirno

Aug 17, 2010
I do not know if I make a mistake. I Ubuntu 11.10 / ext4 format, and check with e2fsck the userData. Then I shrink with resize2fs to 200M. But sbf_flash means the the file is too large.

Does it matter which user data will be? Which smartphone (droid, droid2, droid2global), which version (2.3.4 / 2.3.6)?

is there a possibility the file "CG37.smg" to pack in with the image and adjust the header information

Skreelink

Nov 28, 2010
A way to get onto rooted 621 with 621 kernel has successfully been done. Thanks to a ky41083 on rootzwiki I am on stock 621 rooted from a fresh 621 sbf. It seems like it can be added to rom flashes as well.

rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__320#entry645355

My post confirming with summary instructions. Now tthis thread can kind of stop being DX specific ;p to my knowledge, no other person has done this yet. I am the first. Ky41083 never put 621 system back on their dx, just a 605 restore.

Just gotta make 621 rooting a bit more automated/easier.

Last edited:

Kampfgans

Apr 25, 2012
so is it possible to root the milestone 2 with vivo 2.3.6 with this method?

i dont really understand the instructions on the first site :(

Dec 3, 2008
Las Cruces
I tried using the milestone rom and lost data connectivity and phone always showed roaming I wasn't able to *228 either I kept getting a message telling me there was a error processing

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA

Skreelink

Nov 28, 2010
I tried using the milestone rom and lost data connectivity and phone always showed roaming I wasn't able to *228 either I kept getting a message telling me there was a error processing

Always showing roaming, I would think a wrong PRL. Although ROM flashing shouldn't touch the PRL or any radio settings for data/phone. What carrier do you use? Also, do you have any experience with QPST or CDMA Workshop?

werepacman

May 22, 2012
Please, could someone post more detailed instruction of this method?
Like here for example: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614651

I have a questions about step 1 - Where one should find ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb to modify value?

Where to execute dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/CG37.smg ?

Last edited:

KuGeL94

Jun 5, 2012
Germany
esfmods.com
Does anyone know if this works for Motorola Defy Mini?

Can someone make a video tutorial for this because I don't understand some of the steps, because it's kind of hard.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2008
Las Cruces
Im on Verizon. And in response to your question no I have no experience with either of those. I hate this new version they really screwed up my phone now it takes for ever to start up. :mad:

arnaldo.acao

Jun 13, 2012
Step 3 problem

I can't get the file of step 3. I obtain this message in mediafire site:File Removed for Violation.

How can I do to get it?

Last edited:

jackburton72

Dec 30, 2009
great thanks

Hi! I just created this thread to let you know that thanks to user dettofatto and me, there's a new root method for Motorola Android Phones (I don't know if it will work for other brands).

NOTE: I tried this method with Gingerbread, I don't know if this will work with other versions.

The method is far from easy, but it works if none of the existing exploits and tricks don't.

Ok, there are some simple-like steps to root your phones:

1. If you have an unrooted gingerbread, ask for a rooted gingerbread userdata partition image (aka CG37) with a modified local.prop file and USB debugging enabled.

The value that you need to modify is ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb from 0 to 1.

IMPORTANT: The best you can do is to double wipe the phone and then modify local.prop an allow USB debugging, so the data partition doesn't have any of your personal information.

Then you can create a userdata partition image by typing this in the shell (with root access)

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/CG37.smg

or

Code:
busybox dd if=/dev/block/userdata of=/sdcard/CG37.smg

and let it do its work.

2. Once you got your CG37.smg in the SD card, you will have to boot into linux (so you can use sbf_flash).

3. When you are in linux, you need to extract the folder contained in the zip that you can download here mediafire.com/?n100jj66130lgra

4. Then you need to copy the CG37.smg and your original SBF (the non rooted one) to that folder.

5. Now you'll have to start a terminal with root permissions, and move to the folder by typing

Code:
cd <folder>
(where folder is the folder I just mentioned, without the <>, you can drag the folder to the terminal if you don't want to type its address)

4. Then you need to resize that partition to 200 Mb, since sbf_flash won't allow you to flash a big image (approx. 1,1 Gb). You have to type this

Code:
efsck -f CG37.smg
resize2fs CG37.smg 200M

5. Then you need to type

Code:
chmod +x sbf_flash

and then you need to start your phone into bootloader and connect it to the computer, then you type

Code:
./sbf_flash -r --userdata CG37.smg ORIGINAL.sbf
(where ORIGINAL corresponds to the name of your SBF)

and let it its work.

5. Once the phone started up, you now need to run this command

Code:
bash finishroot.sh

And let it finish the work.

6. Now you have your phone rooted. You can just reboot into recovery mode and do a double wipe, because the files that we needed are now in system partition.

great thanks

jzy20

Aug 5, 2011
Hi! I just created this thread to let you know that thanks to user dettofatto and me, there's a new root method for Motorola Android Phones (I don't know if it will work for other brands).

NOTE: I tried this method with Gingerbread, I don't know if this will work with other versions.

The method is far from easy, but it works if none of the existing exploits and tricks don't.

1. If you have an unrooted gingerbread, ask for a rooted gingerbread userdata partition image (aka CG37) with a modified local.prop file and USB debugging enabled.

IMPORTANT: The best you can do is to double wipe the phone and then modify local.prop an allow USB debugging, so the data partition doesn't have any of your personal information.

Then you can create a userdata partition image by typing this in the shell (with root access)

Code:

or

Code:

and let it do its work.

2. Once you got your CG37.smg in the SD card, you will have to boot into linux (so you can use sbf_flash).

3. When you are in linux, you need to extract the folder contained in the zip that you can download here mediafire.com/?n100jj66130lgra

4. Then you need to copy the CG37.smg and your original SBF (the non rooted one) to that folder.

5. Now you'll have to start a terminal with root permissions, and move to the folder by typing

Code:
cd <folder>
(where folder is the folder I just mentioned, without the <>, you can drag the folder to the terminal if you don't want to type its address)

4. Then you need to resize that partition to 200 Mb, since sbf_flash won't allow you to flash a big image (approx. 1,1 Gb). You have to type this

Code:
efsck -f CG37.smg
resize2fs CG37.smg 200M

5. Then you need to type

Code:
chmod +x sbf_flash

and then you need to start your phone into bootloader and connect it to the computer, then you type

Code:

and let it its work.

Code:
bash finishroot.sh

6. Now you have your phone rooted. You can just reboot into recovery mode and do a double wipe, because the files that we needed are now in system partition.

:fingers-crossed:thanks....but how to root xt320 defy mini?can you help us?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

or

Code:

and let it do its work.

Code:
    cd <folder>

Code:
    efsck -f CG37.smg
    resize2fs CG37.smg 200M

5. Then you need to type

Code:
    chmod +x sbf_flash

Code:

and let it its work.

Code:
    bash finishroot.sh

Could it be possible to re-upload the required files? The mediafire link in the OP says it has been removed for violation... I was going to try this method for a DX 621, despite having the 604 root method, it would be nice to actually have the 621 kernel.
    system.zip