[Kernel][ICS][Alpha]Driving Always For User Quality (5/27/2012)

Search This thread

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Here we go - What I believe is the first custom kernel built from source for GT-N7000 ICS.

READ THIS POST INCLUDING KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE POSTING!

Driving Always For User Quality - DAFUQ!!!!

This is built by applying some small fixes to the GT-I9100 update4 source base so that the stylus and charger drivers build properly.
Source code is at: https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commits/entropy_kernel_main
Initramfs git is at: https://github.com/Entropy512/initramfs_galaxynote_ics/commits/master

It has been tested so far with Criskelo's XXLPY-based release, but should work with most other Touchwiz-based N7000 ICS releases. AOSP firmwares are not supported by this kernel. They may boot and sort-of run, but no bug reports will be accepted if you're running an AOSP-based firmware. No bootloader flashing is required.

Features:
See my I777 ICS kernel thread for now - it's built off of the same source base (but N7000 users should post here)
The one specific feature I should advertise here - This is built from I9100 Update4 sources. This appears to be the only source base so far for Samsung Exynos4 kernels that doesn't carry a high risk of permanent damage to your eMMC chip. (e.g. it should be safe from all of the nightmares people have encountered with ICS leaks here, however I cannot make any guarantees.)

Known issues:
  • Some of you are used to kernels that autoroot a ROM for you - this one will not and never will especially now that two different Superuser packages exist. Flash SuperSU or Superuser in CWM, pick your poison.
  • Camera preview is black
  • Hardware accelerated video display is not working
  • Because of these known issues, the primary use for this kernel is to reset the flash counter with TriangleAway (which DOES work on this kernel)

Attachments

• DAFUQ_N7000_05272012.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 1,009
  • DAFUQ_N7000_05272012.tar
    6.2 MB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Change Log

5/27/2012:
Pulled in some changes from the N7000 source release. Wifi and speakerphone are now working with XXLPY, however - hwaccel video is still broken.
Fixing hwaccel video requires major work or just trashing everything and starting from the N7000 source release and readding features there.

5/2/2012:
Charging now works normally. It turns out some devices have an SMB136 charger, others have an SMB328 - Now both are enabled.

4/26/2012:
  • Call audio fixed (Note only)
  • Bumped first GPU step default up to 100 MHz from 66 (Note only)
  • Increased conservative governor freq step from 5% to 10%

4/24/2012:
Initial release

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
FAQ

Q: What's up with the name?
A: Since I run CM9, this can no longer be considered my "daily driver" - so the Daily Driver name no longer really applies. I haven't picked a good name yet, expect this to change with my mood. Names may get more sensible as the mental damage caused by watching the ZOMBIE ASS trailer heals.

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: mblnx and zaferaxu

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Hey Mikey, are you using this on stunner or did you flash off of that today? Just curious before I try it on it myself.

Sent from one of my Galaxies

im on lp6. it takes like 2-3 seconds for my screen to turn on when pressing the power button and noticeable lag when opening app drawer in nova. definitley didnt do those things before

lag is the wrong word. there is a stutter during transitions.

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
re downloaded and it flashed fine. is this a stock kernel built from source? i mean did you uv it or add oc?

See the I777 thread and the git commits for what's in there.

It is in general battery-optimized - Mali 3-step defaults are battery-oriented, default governor is a tuned conservative, reduce the polling interval of it for better results.

As this is built off of I9100 sources, there might be some Note-specific things missing. I never did Gingerbread kernel development on the Note. One thing is - this should not burn out your eMMC like many of the leaks can.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyinid

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
See the I777 thread and the git commits for what's in there.

It is in general battery-optimized - Mali 3-step defaults are battery-oriented, default governor is a tuned conservative, reduce the polling interval of it for better results.

As this is built off of I9100 sources, there might be some Note-specific things missing. I never did Gingerbread kernel development on the Note. One thing is - this should not burn out your eMMC like many of the leaks can.

its usable for sure, was definitely not saying it wasnt. cant wait to see where this goes from here. i know an ics kernel from source is probably the only thing stopping official cm build.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

disregard the stutter post lol. went intio setcpu and changed to ondemand and this thing is butter smooth. and undervolts :D

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
its usable for sure, was definitely not saying it wasnt. cant wait to see where this goes from here. i know an ics kernel from source is probably the only thing stopping official cm build.

I'm working with codeworkx and xplodwild on getting that going. I need to clean up extract-files.sh and the vendor/prop repo, among a few other things. I won't have time to work it the next few days though.

If you want to improve performance, try bumping up the GPU frequency for the lowest step and reduce its staycount to 0. For battery-saving purposes, the first GPU step is a bit on the low side. I might bump it up a little, there's a BIG jump between 66 and 100 MHz.

Instead of being 166/266 MHz, it's 66/166/266 MHz. Should improve screen-on battery life.

Reactions: mikeyinid

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I'm working with codeworkx and xplodwild on getting that going. I need to clean up extract-files.sh and the vendor/prop repo, among a few other things. I won't have time to work it the next few days though.

If you want to improve performance, try bumping up the GPU frequency for the lowest step and reduce its staycount to 0. For battery-saving purposes, the first GPU step is a bit on the low side. I might bump it up a little, there's a BIG jump between 66 and 100 MHz.

Instead of being 166/266 MHz, it's 66/166/266 MHz. Should improve screen-on battery life.

ok, so for ~5 seconds after you unlock the phone there is a noticeable stutter during transitions, even using ondemand.

scrolling is very smooth tho, even in plume...

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Try increasing the frequency for the lowest GPU step, or reduce its staycount to 0.

Another option, try conservative but change freq_step to 15. I'm probably going to change that as the default.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Try increasing the frequency for the lowest GPU step, or reduce its staycount to 0.

Another option, try conservative but change freq_step to 15. I'm probably going to change that as the default.

seems the same using conservative with freq_step at 15. the first time you open the app drawer it stutters but the 2nd and 3rd times it get smoother til it doesnt stutter any more. turn the screen off and back on and its the same again.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

flashed to stunner and the stutter is even more noticable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here we go - What I believe is the first custom kernel built from source for GT-N7000 ICS.

READ THIS POST INCLUDING KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE POSTING!

Driving Always For User Quality - DAFUQ!!!!

This is built by applying some small fixes to the GT-I9100 update4 source base so that the stylus and charger drivers build properly.
    Source code is at: https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commits/entropy_kernel_main
    Initramfs git is at: https://github.com/Entropy512/initramfs_galaxynote_ics/commits/master

It has been tested so far with Criskelo's XXLPY-based release, but should work with most other Touchwiz-based N7000 ICS releases. AOSP firmwares are not supported by this kernel. They may boot and sort-of run, but no bug reports will be accepted if you're running an AOSP-based firmware. No bootloader flashing is required.

Features:
    See my I777 ICS kernel thread for now - it's built off of the same source base (but N7000 users should post here)
    The one specific feature I should advertise here - This is built from I9100 Update4 sources. This appears to be the only source base so far for Samsung Exynos4 kernels that doesn't carry a high risk of permanent damage to your eMMC chip. (e.g. it should be safe from all of the nightmares people have encountered with ICS leaks here, however I cannot make any guarantees.)

Known issues:
    • Some of you are used to kernels that autoroot a ROM for you - this one will not and never will especially now that two different Superuser packages exist. Flash SuperSU or Superuser in CWM, pick your poison.
    • Camera preview is black
    • Hardware accelerated video display is not working
    • Because of these known issues, the primary use for this kernel is to reset the flash counter with TriangleAway (which DOES work on this kernel)
    Change Log

5/27/2012:
    Pulled in some changes from the N7000 source release. Wifi and speakerphone are now working with XXLPY, however - hwaccel video is still broken.
    Fixing hwaccel video requires major work or just trashing everything and starting from the N7000 source release and readding features there.

5/2/2012:
    Charging now works normally. It turns out some devices have an SMB136 charger, others have an SMB328 - Now both are enabled.

4/26/2012:
    • Call audio fixed (Note only)
    • Bumped first GPU step default up to 100 MHz from 66 (Note only)
    • Increased conservative governor freq step from 5% to 10%

4/24/2012:
    Initial release
    And you posted this after seeing it in the known issues list why???

Because he can't be bothered to read, that's why. Like the great majority of the forum members.:mad:
    Plans for this weekend: Test with the new XXLPY release. Hopefully I won't need to do EGL/Mali lib swaps any more, and maybe video hwaccel will play nice.

Also going to look at recovery mounting so that /system can be formatted if corrupted.
    FAQ

Q: What's up with the name?
    A: Since I run CM9, this can no longer be considered my "daily driver" - so the Daily Driver name no longer really applies. I haven't picked a good name yet, expect this to change with my mood. Names may get more sensible as the mental damage caused by watching the ZOMBIE ASS trailer heals.