[How-to]Root Android 4.2.2 And Install CWM v6.0.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

udimars30

Mar 13, 2012
Gurgaon
Here We have the Root And CWM for Nexus 7 On Android 4.2.2! :cool:

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers. See: How to Set Up Android SDK (Fastboot / ADB) on Windows.

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.

NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have them.

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + UP + Power key for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen.
Step 8 - Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 9 - Type in the following command and press Enter.

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img

Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY MODE from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.

Step 12 - Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. Then Choose yes flash recovery back (this will make CWM your permanent recovery mode)

That’s it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify. :D

Root and CWM for Nexus 4
Root and CWM for Nexus 10

Last edited:

sicameron32

Mar 27, 2012
Step 4 and step 7

I am a little confused about step 4 as I didn't think any nexus 7's had a SD card slot. I purchased mine right from google. I just put the zip file directly on the device itself and I know from my experience with my old Nexus One that this works too, just wondering who is selling the one with SD card slots. My second question, and really the more important one is step 7. I have tried to make the device go into fastboot several times and when I hold the volume keys down, the device boots to a black screen with no ability to do anything after that. If I mess with the power button (meaning I hold it in for a long time then let it out, and do this several times) I can get the device to preform a normal boot. Any thoughts?

poetjazz

Jan 4, 2011
thanks

Thanks its worked for my nexus 7..

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers. See: How to Set Up Android SDK (Fastboot / ADB) on Windows.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + UP + Power key for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen.
Step 8 - Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY MODE from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. Then Choose yes flash recovery back (this will make CWM your permanent recovery mode)

That’s it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify. :D

Root and CWM for Nexus 4

Cosa44

Jul 4, 2011
Washington, DC
Nexus Player
Thanks a million man! I was having all kinds of trouble updating to 4.2.2 and finally figured that out. Then I was having problems rooting again until I found this. Your method worked great but I used TWRP instead and it still did the trick. Thanks again.

Leonhan

Dec 27, 2012
I tried this but when I want to flash the recovery, my fastboot.exe will then not respond and will try to close. What gives?

Spenzert

Feb 9, 2013

Just a quick note here, to enter Fastboot Mode you just need to turn the Nexus 7 off, then turn on again, soon as you see the Google logo press the Volume Down key and hold (Hold both Power button and Volume Down Key). :)

udimars30

Mar 13, 2012
Gurgaon
I am a little confused about step 4 as I didn't think any nexus 7's had a SD card slot. I purchased mine right from google. I just put the zip file directly on the device itself and I know from my experience with my old Nexus One that this works too, just wondering who is selling the one with SD card slots. My second question, and really the more important one is step 7. I have tried to make the device go into fastboot several times and when I hold the volume keys down, the device boots to a black screen with no ability to do anything after that. If I mess with the power button (meaning I hold it in for a long time then let it out, and do this several times) I can get the device to preform a normal boot. Any thoughts?

yes you can do that for the normal boot

If you want to use fastboot by a easy way, use this guide ;) you don't need adb line command, just fastboot line command and it's an child game by this way ;)

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
use this:
Download this file "Fastboot.zip"
Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
=> disk C: root
Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
- adb.exe
- AdbWinApi.dll
- fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
Code:
c:\fastboot>
Enter
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Enter
If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to flash a boot.img:
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot.img

If you want to know all lines of command
Code:
c:\fastboot>fastboot
Code:
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048

Last edited:

vmancini3

Jan 26, 2013
Ok, so I am running the 4.2.2 update, and after jumping through numerous hoops trying to have my device recognized by adb, I just want to make sure that my very first step should be to boot up in fastboot mode and then issue the following command...

"fastboot oem unlock"
???

Then I can go ahead and proceed to flashing the CWM recovery and flashing the SuperSU file...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: I've tried multiple times, but everytime I boot into "fastboot" mode, which I guess is another way for saying the bootloader, ADB loses its connection with my Nexus 7! Also, if it helps anyone to know, I'm running Win7 64-bit.....I'm not sure if that matters, but the first time I booted up into fastboot mode, my computer recognized it and installed it as an "Android Bootloader Interface" in the Device Manager! When the device boots up normally, ADB does recognize it again, and it also shows up differently in the Device Manager (Android Composite ADB Interface)! ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I obviously can't issue commands to a device that ADB can't see when it's in fastboot mode!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheldor1967

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Ok, so I am running the 4.2.2 update, and after jumping through numerous hoops trying to have my device recognized by adb, I just want to make sure that my very first step should be to boot up in fastboot mode and then issue the following command...

"fastboot oem unlock"
???

Then I can go ahead and proceed to flashing the CWM recovery and flashing the SuperSU file...?

EDIT: I've tried multiple times, but everytime I boot into "fastboot" mode, which I guess is another way for saying the bootloader, ADB loses its connection with my Nexus 7! Also, if it helps anyone to know, I'm running Win7 64-bit.....I'm not sure if that matters, but the first time I booted up into fastboot mode, my computer recognized it and installed it as an "Android Bootloader Interface" in the Device Manager! When the device boots up normally, ADB does recognize it again, and it also shows up differently in the Device Manager (Android Composite ADB Interface)! ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I obviously can't issue commands to a device that ADB can't see when it's in fastboot mode!

Hi, vmancini3...

Forget about ADB when your tablet is in FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode...

Here are the salient commands....

Code:
fastboot devices
- should return a serial number to confirm your FASTBOOT connection -

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
- will unlock the BOOTLOADER and will WIPE and FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE; unfortunate, but necessary :(.

--------------------

With the BOOTLOADER unlocked, begin to set up your Nexus 7 again... as though it was a brand new, just purchased tablet... ie., country, regionalization, WiFi key... etc.

Go online with your Nexus 7 browser (Chrome), and download Chainfire's SU Updater .ZIP package from here...

http://download.chainfire.eu/310/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

Upon completion of this download, shut down the tablet.

--------------------

Reboot again into FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode... VOL down button + POWER ON button.

From your PC, run this command...

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

....where the recovery.img is your CWM or TWRP .img file.

Both of which are available here...

CWM - http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

TWRP - http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/103

--------------------

Congratulations.... you've just FLASHED a CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!

--------------------

When the self-congratulatory round of self applause has died down:), ... and with the Nexus 7 still in FASTBOOT/ BOOTLOADER MODE, use the VOL buttons to navigate and the POWER button to select... reboot into RECOVERY.

Using the new CUSTOM RECOVERY, flash Chainfires SU updater package that you downloaded earlier... usually found in the /download folder...

Done.

Reboot.

Rooted.

--------------------

I really don't understand why some people seem to have a problem with this procedure... it takes less time doing it, than actually describing how to do it.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img

Root and CWM for Nexus 4

"fastboot oem unlock"
    ???

Hi, vmancini3...

Forget about ADB when your tablet is in FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode...

Here are the salient commands....

Code:
    fastboot devices
    - should return a serial number to confirm your FASTBOOT connection -

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    - will unlock the BOOTLOADER and will WIPE and FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE; unfortunate, but necessary :(.

--------------------

With the BOOTLOADER unlocked, begin to set up your Nexus 7 again... as though it was a brand new, just purchased tablet... ie., country, regionalization, WiFi key... etc.

Go online with your Nexus 7 browser (Chrome), and download Chainfire's SU Updater .ZIP package from here...

http://download.chainfire.eu/310/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

Upon completion of this download, shut down the tablet.

--------------------

Reboot again into FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode... VOL down button + POWER ON button.

From your PC, run this command...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

....where the recovery.img is your CWM or TWRP .img file.

Both of which are available here...

CWM - http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

TWRP - http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/103

--------------------

Congratulations.... you've just FLASHED a CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!

--------------------

When the self-congratulatory round of self applause has died down:), ... and with the Nexus 7 still in FASTBOOT/ BOOTLOADER MODE, use the VOL buttons to navigate and the POWER button to select... reboot into RECOVERY.

Using the new CUSTOM RECOVERY, flash Chainfires SU updater package that you downloaded earlier... usually found in the /download folder...

Done.

Reboot.

Rooted.

--------------------

I really don't understand why some people seem to have a problem with this procedure... it takes less time doing it, than actually describing how to do it.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    If you want to use fastboot by a easy way, use this guide ;) you don't need adb line command, just fastboot line command and it's an child game by this way ;)

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
    use this:
    Download this file "Fastboot.zip"
    Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
    => disk C: root
    Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
    - adb.exe
    - AdbWinApi.dll
    - fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
    Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>
    Enter
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Enter
    If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to flash a boot.img:
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot.img

If you want to know all lines of command
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot
    Code:
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
      update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
      flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
      flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
      erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
      getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
      boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
      flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
      devices                                  list all connected devices
      continue                                 continue with autoboot
      reboot                                   reboot device normally
      reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
      help                                     show this help message

options:
      -w                                       erase userdata and cache
      -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
      -p <product>                             specify product name
      -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
      -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
      -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
      -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048
    hello

I would put the cwm or TWRP to flash a rom, this procedure is still good or there is another? thank you .

You may wish to look elsewhere or start a new thread in Q and A... this thread is very old and largely abandoned.

Thread closed

Thanks