Web OS on Desire

Search This thread

kirior

Jan 5, 2011
London
Hi all

Due to being confused i have posted the same thread in Desire Genereal, Desire Q&A, General, WebOS Hacking&General and WebOS Development.
Please delete the wrong ones.

I was just wandering would it be possible and if there is any brave soul to port Web OS to desire. I have read a bit and would like to try this OS myself. Not rich enough to owe 3 mobiles though :/.

Just let me know if I'm asking/wanting impossible or it is doable and someone may take it on board.

thnx in advance for all replies

Regards
Kirior

Da_Loony

Jul 8, 2008
Leuven
I think it should be possible to do it, due to the fact that it also runs on a linux kernel, maybe with somemods on haret it might work... only problem, does anyone have a dumped rom?

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
It would be a enormous amount of work to do honestly because all current versions of WebOS were designed with a gesture pad and Android phones do not have these. You'd have to figure out how to map all the gesture functions to hardware keys. You'd also have to figure out how to get a virtual keyboard working on the OS right away as the OS was only designed for use with a hardware keyboard.

ninditsu

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
For the keyboard, I would think that you would try to install the virtual keyboard via PC. That would require hacking to force detect the desire as a pre in webOS quick install or something

Then that still requires the mapping of gestures into hardware buttons

Don't question me about this, I'm not so knowledgable about modding software

Last edited:
Reactions: vbeli

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
It would be no easy task, but to say that the only things standing in the way of this working would be a virtual keyboard and remapping buttons isn't correct at all. In the kernel there are many a way to remap keys, not sure about the gesture pad, but it could work, and the virtual keyboard is just a patch so you could bake it into the rom itself. The whole issue, why noone has even tried is that it isn't legal.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
As far as I know right now there are no sources for this until the launch of the Pre 3, it would be interesting to see though.

gotablunt

Mar 31, 2010
east los angeles
It could be done with some sweat and tears, but just like when it was being ported to the htc hero, webos will not allow it to be copyright

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

TabascoTX

Jun 13, 2009
South Central Texas
Redmi 9A
That would be awesome. If it ports to the Desire then its just a matter of some time before it gets ported to the Mytouch 4G/Glacier. Sweet.

Sent from my Liquid Metal using XDA Premium App

Habarug

Feb 23, 2011
Bergen
It could be done with some sweat and tears, but just like when it was being ported to the htc hero, webos will not allow it to be copyright

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Didn't HP let go and let other developers use web OS as well? If so then they can release the hero version and I can try it :)

sent with love from me to you

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
all current versions of WebOS were designed with a gesture pad and Android phones do not have these. You'd have to figure out how to map all the gesture functions to hardware keys.

The Desire has an optical trackpad, but I'm sure you guys know that!!!

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
It's not the same. I have a Desire Z and a Pre. The optical trackpad and the gesture are significantly different.

Never used a pre, how is it different? EDIT NVM, watched a youtube video!!!

Read the beolw if you want, but for a start here is an interesting link for you:

http://pocketnow.com/software-1/no-palm-pre-go-pro-gesture-launch-on-your-touch-pro

The desire has an optical trackpad as opposed to the desire Z / G2's touchpad. But after realizing the difference in gestures from the video, that difference is kinda mute.

In the old winmo days someone said it was impossible to have mutli-touch on a resistive screen, until a talented dev wrote an sdk for it. It "cheated" by holding one finger in place and moving the other but even recognizing multiple screen inputs was amazing.

I'm kinda lukewarm / "meh" on the idea, but it would be cool to try webos on my own device (desire) just like trying Android on my Vogue (shipped with winmo) was cool. In fact, that's the reason I now own an android device!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

JMITR

Last edited:

ponde

Nov 10, 2008
Helsinki
Is anybody working on this? I heard somewhere that there is a team here on xda making this happen, but is it true? I really would like to see this happen and I believe that I am not the only one!

Reactions: Andrew_han

Herrie82

Nov 26, 2011
I think the main problem we're facing now is that there are no 3.x kernel drivers available for most of the current devices. Once we have this, porting to a larger number of devices should be quite straight forward.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For the keyboard, I would think that you would try to install the virtual keyboard via PC. That would require hacking to force detect the desire as a pre in webOS quick install or something

Then that still requires the mapping of gestures into hardware buttons

Don't question me about this, I'm not so knowledgable about modding software
    Is anybody working on this? I heard somewhere that there is a team here on xda making this happen, but is it true? I really would like to see this happen and I believe that I am not the only one!