Blacklisted IMEI?

Search This thread

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
I bought a S3 for one of my sisters a couple of months ago... Tried a newly activated T-mobile sim in it today and find out it won't connect. I suspected a bad IMEI. So I checked right on T-Mobile's website and Swappa, both confirm it... I'm SOL am I correct? I contacted the eBay seller that I bought the phone from to see if they will do anything. Otherwise it is either a new phone or motherboard right?

GS³: Carbonized, leanKernel'd, Philz'd
Put your Kitsune up!

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I hate to say it but yes. Aside from replacing the motherboard or the device itself theres nothing you can legally do.

Id wait for a response from the seller though, and if they are unwilling to solve the problem for you, or if they dont reply, I would leave a scathing review to warn others against buying from them and also report them to ebay.
(Thats also only if they listed the phone as having a clean IMEI of course. If they didn't, you can leave a poor review, but probably would have few options beyond that)

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
They listed the phone as unlocked and ready to use with any GSM carrier worldwide... Wouldn't you say that includes T-Mobile USA?

I'm waiting for a reply back, if I don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, I will report them and they will regret selling me a device with a bad IMEI.

Put your Kitsune up!

patcal

Feb 27, 2011
Gresham, OR.
They listed the phone as unlocked and ready to use with any GSM carrier worldwide... Wouldn't you say that includes T-Mobile USA?

I'm waiting for a reply back, if I don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, I will report them and they will regret selling me a device with a bad IMEI.

Put your Kitsune up!

Please let us know how it turns out.

dpshptl

Jan 26, 2011
You should definitely have the seller take it back. Cuz they sold you a phone under false pretense. If they don't then you can file a claim under the eBay buyers warranty to get your money back. This happened to me and I got the seller to refund me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: mp3deviant721

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Well I got a message back from the seller today and it looks like they are willing to replace said phone. I replied back told them that's what I wanted to do... So I think this is going somewhere good! If these guys do pull through, I might just start recommending them to people...

Put your Kitsune up!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Thats awesome news so far! I know its a hassle regardless, but its still better than what happens to most people in similar situations.
Im betting they run their ebay store as part of their full time living. They probably deal in a lot of used devices and I'd wager the IMEI tested out good at the time they received it. Then whoever was the original owner reported it lost or stolen sometime after that. It would mean its not the sellers fault, even though they are ultimately responsible for it. Im just glad to see it looks like they are taking that responsibility seriously.

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Just to update you guys, I sent the phone out this morning. Now it's just a waiting game...

Put your Kitsune up!

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Just wanted to update you guys again, the seller has shipped the replacement. Should be here in the next few days or so... I'll be double checking it when it gets here.

Put your Kitsune up!

Reactions: daggorlad

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Alright guys. I got the replacement on Saturday. It was delayed at their post office for some reason... I checked the IMEI as soon as I got it and it is good. Put the SIM card in and it connects to T-Mobile fine. All is good now.

On a side note, the replacement was rooted and on NC2 I think (I know I had to disable Knox, its annoying... Lol). Because of that it took me just a few minutes to get TWRP on it and flashing CarbonRom and LeanKernel shortly after. All without having to fire up Odin. Sweet.

Put your Kitsune up!

Reactions: serio22

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Yeah. I'm totally glad they did this.

BTW, The seller is called wireless_express_inc and I'd highly recommend them if anybody is looking for a used device... They have decent prices and sell devices that are in great shape too...

Gimme Chocolate!!

Reactions: DocHoliday77

daggorlad

Mar 8, 2013
Lexington, KY
Samsung Galaxy S20
Yeah. I'm totally glad they did this.

BTW, The seller is called wireless_express_inc and I'd highly recommend them if anybody is looking for a used device... They have decent prices and sell devices that are in great shape too...

Gimme Chocolate!!

Happy to hear it all worked out for you.

Reactions: mp3deviant721

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats awesome news so far! I know its a hassle regardless, but its still better than what happens to most people in similar situations.
    Im betting they run their ebay store as part of their full time living. They probably deal in a lot of used devices and I'd wager the IMEI tested out good at the time they received it. Then whoever was the original owner reported it lost or stolen sometime after that. It would mean its not the sellers fault, even though they are ultimately responsible for it. Im just glad to see it looks like they are taking that responsibility seriously.
    Yup, id say that implies a clean IMEI. Good luck! I hope its easily resolved.
    You should definitely have the seller take it back. Cuz they sold you a phone under false pretense. If they don't then you can file a claim under the eBay buyers warranty to get your money back. This happened to me and I got the seller to refund me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
    Just to update you guys, I sent the phone out this morning. Now it's just a waiting game...

Put your Kitsune up!

Good luck
    Just wanted to update you guys again, the seller has shipped the replacement. Should be here in the next few days or so... I'll be double checking it when it gets here.

Put your Kitsune up!