Phone freezing when making calls

Search This thread

itm

Jan 1, 2007
My wife has an S2 with stock ROM. It's unlocked, on a T-Mobile UK SIM. The phone is about 6 months old. There is a problem with the phone screen going blank and not responding to any button or screen presses when dialling a call. After 10-20 secs, sometimes longer, the phone starts responding again.
The problem has been around for a few months, but has got alot more frequent in the last few weeks.
The phone is running XWKI4, Kernel 2.6.35.7.
Does anyone know what might be causing this, and whether there is a fix?

noalkecodoc

Feb 11, 2011
You did UV?

This issue might be from how you UV. If you set the value to low, ur phone will not have enough power to run the tasks. So set value high on Set voltage tab might solve ur problem.

itm

Jan 1, 2007
Just to confirm - this phone is completely out-of-the-box. It's not rooted, ROM'd, underclocked/overclocked or anything. I want it to stay that way as it's my wife's phone. I was just wondering if anyone else had these problems with a vanilla S2, and whether it may need to go back for a warranty repair?

atifsh

Sep 24, 2009
Islamabad
Answer stays....
But you can try wiping using dial code first.
Save any pictures and videos on internal storage.

itm

Jan 1, 2007
Re-flash what using ODIN? I didn't flash this phone in the first place. I don't want to put a custom ROM on this phone.

atifsh

Sep 24, 2009
Islamabad
Who says custom ROM?

I try again, problem is you people ask but never do what told later...

Save you're picture/video
Using dialer dial *2767*3855#
It will wipe you're phone / factory reset.

If this don't help learn how to use Odin, get a stock ROM and flash using Odin.

Last edited:

atifsh

Sep 24, 2009
Islamabad
How specific you want?

I even write the code which will do wiping for you.

And than I said if that fails learn how to use Odin to flash stock ROM.

A331709

May 31, 2012
Are you using an alternative dialler? I had similar issues when I was using go dialler and go launcher. Uninstalled it and things were back to normal (for the most part). Check that first.
Step 2 easy way out is to reflash. You won't lose warranty etc if you do it right. Loads of tutorials available and check out samfirmware for the firmware you need to install.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edit-have you also tried alternative diallers? Does the problem come up using them too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Last edited:

itm

Jan 1, 2007
Are you using an alternative dialler? I had similar issues when I was using go dialler and go launcher. Uninstalled it and things were back to normal (for the most part). Check that first.
Step 2 easy way out is to reflash. You won't lose warranty etc if you do it right. Loads of tutorials available and check out samfirmware for the firmware you need to install.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edit-have you also tried alternative diallers? Does the problem come up using them too?

She is using the stock dialer. She hasn't tried an alternative dialer, mainly because we couldn't work out a way to change the phone shortcut on the Touchwiz dock menu. This doesn't prevent us from installing an alternative dialer of course, but it the dock can't be reconfigured she will always be launching the stock dialer by mistake!

Can anyone explain how to change the default dialer, and recommend a good alternative for the S2?

We did also try rebooting the phone - several times - but the problem remains.

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
She is using the stock dialer. She hasn't tried an alternative dialer, mainly because we couldn't work out a way to change the phone shortcut on the Touchwiz dock menu. This doesn't prevent us from installing an alternative dialer of course, but it the dock can't be reconfigured she will always be launching the stock dialer by mistake!

Can anyone explain how to change the default dialer, and recommend a good alternative for the S2?

We did also try rebooting the phone - several times - but the problem remains.

You can change out any of the shortcuts in the dock.

Open the app drawer, hit menu, edit, drag the icon you want to replace off the dock and into the app drawer, then drag the icon you want to be in the dock from the app drawer into the dock.

itm

Jan 1, 2007

Open the app drawer, hit menu, edit, drag the icon you want to replace off the dock and into the app drawer, then drag the icon you want to be in the dock from the app drawer into the dock.

When I hit Settings...Edit I just see images of the 5 launcher screens - it doesn't allow editing of the homescreen or dock
???

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
When I hit Settings...Edit I just see images of the 5 launcher screens - it doesn't allow editing of the homescreen or dock
???

Read it again.

A331709

May 31, 2012
Try Touchpal contacts / dialler. I really liked that one over go dialler or dw contacts. And then, as indicated replace in the dock.

But first you need to determine if the issue presents itself in other diallers as well.