[TWEAK][Siyah Kernel 4.1.1+][Extweaks] Get up to 7 hours of screen usage

Search This thread

gb.yolo

Aug 31, 2012
Rome
github.com
WARNING: Use this settings at your own risk. I am not responsible for what will happen to your phone.

So, Siyah Kernel 4.1.4 has been released, and since 4.1.1 and its new features I have struggled for obtaining maximum battery life without loosing smoothness.
I tested these settings on 5 phones (Galaxy S2 GT-I9100): mine and my friends' ones, and we all got the same (more or less) results: it's awesome!
Screen usage can get up to 7 hours. I did these tests with mobile data on for all phone usage, and not in deep sleep. When I was at home I switched to Wi-fi.
My ROM is AOKP M6 (ICS 4.0.4), other tests were made on Resurrection remix JB, stock XWLPF (ics), CM9 stable (screen usage: about 6 hours, no more), and AOKP JB (latest).

Extweaks settings:

CPU:
GENTLE FAIR SLEEPERS: ON
CPU HOTPLUG: (default)
CFS TWEAKS: Linux kernel defaults
CPU IDLE MODE: AFTR+LPA
SMOOTH SCALING LEVEL: 800 mHz
MAX CPU LOCK: Dual core mode
CPU UNDERVOLTING: - 50mV (if you get freezes, set -25mV)
CPU STEP COUNT: 16 (all available)
GOVERNOR: pegasusq
MAX FREQ: 1200 MHz
MIN FREQ: 200 MHz

GPU:
MALI TOUCH BOOST LEVEL: Step 2/Step 3
GPU STEP 1: 44 MHz
GPU STEP 2: 66 MHz
GPU STEP 3: 100 MHz
GPU STEP 4: 200 MHz
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 1, 2 AND 3: 800 mV
GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 4: 950 mV

THRESHOLDS: default values

AUDIO:
HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER: 0 (set this value as you want and as you ears can stand it, it doesn't affect battery life unless you listen to music)

SCREEN:
TOUCHMOVE SENSITIVITY: 3 pixel
ALL OTHER SETTINGS: default values
mDNIe negative toggle: off

BLN:
BLN: off
NOTIFICATION TIMEOUT: never timeout
BLN EFFECT: set what you want, cause BLN is disabled
LED TIMEOUT: use ROM defaults
LED FADEOUT: on
LEDS ON WITH TOUCH: off
LED VOLTAGE LEVEL: 2700 mV (2750/2800 mV if led lights are dim)

MISC:
ANDROID LOGGER: off
DEFAULT I/O SCHEDULER: cfq/noop

I think they are not too aggressive values, but if you get freezes, I recommend you reset your extweaks settings via CWM recovery and then use less aggressive ones.

In the attached screenshots, battery stats analysis starts from 91% since I had to restart my phone, and when it was at 10% I plugged the USB cable in to transfer a .zip file in my SD card, but I don't think that this 15-second charge affected my test :) (I'm sure it didn't!).
Phone usage was high today, I used Tapatalk, created a new UCCW skin, did some long phone calls, Facebook, messaging, e-mail checking, and other stuff I don't remember since the battery stats don't even report them (lol).

Notice that this is an extreme test. 7 hours of screen usage is not a myth, reality instead, but you cannot get them with the so called 'everyday usage'.

Screenshots of test made on my usual phone usage will come soon :)

gokhanmoral : the men who created THE kernel, the Siyah kernel.
geko95gek : author of MagicConfig. He found out the perfect balance between GPU frequencies and voltages.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-15.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 9,519
  • Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-56.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7,983
  • Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-43-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-43-01.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 9,534
  • Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-07-23-41-48.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 8,366
Last edited:

Dark Emotion

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
I don't think these settings are good for performance... I have used even higher settings and there was lagg in some cases. But that was all on my phone :p

Tricks25

May 30, 2012
7 hrs screen time with 1200mhz max frequency and stock battery.. how much more if it's set on 800mhz.. 8-9 hours probably on stock batt? o_O

you could have atleast included what you were doing in those 7 hours screen time like browsing, texting, facebook, etc, also the brightness of the screen, battery chart..

droidstarxx

Jul 27, 2012
Manila
I only have 3 steps on my gpu? :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Just updated my siyah. Goin to try this config

Last edited:

saywhatt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Land of Ooo

Adam Hui

May 30, 2012
Jakarta
Xiaomi Poco F3

gb.yolo

Aug 31, 2012
Rome
github.com
I don't think these settings are good for performance... I have used even higher settings and there was lagg in some cases. But that was all on my phone :p

As you said, it was all on your phone. This is why with someone's settings nobody get exactly the same results: I get lags, you don't get lags, but he sometimes gets lags and sometimes not :)

This seems largely similar to my MagicConfig thread. :D

MagicConfig was my starting point for GPU voltage levels, how cannot I admit? I always used those frequency steps (first post) but I've never found the right voltages to avoid lags, especially when turning screen on. And I forgot to thank you. I say sorry mate :)

7 hrs screen time with 1200mhz max frequency and stock battery.. how much more if it's set on 800mhz.. 8-9 hours probably on stock batt? o_O

you could have atleast included what you were doing in those 7 hours screen time like browsing, texting, facebook, etc, also the brightness of the screen, battery chart..

In the first post:
Phone usage was medium-high today, I used Tapatalk, created a new UCCW skin, did some long phone calls, Facebook, messaging, e-mail checking.

@Adam Hui sorry if I can't help you, but I don't have a RIL matching the XXKH3 modem. I have XXLPW, and since it is all going well with it (deep sleep is ok, wakelocks are ok [more or less]) I didn't much care about it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OuT.Law

dannykul

Feb 16, 2011
Try GetRIL

Thanks for reply mate..
I already have XXKH3 modem, I mean I need XXKH3 RIL (radio interface layer) to match modem with as it was the only method to avoid RIL crashes & RILJ wakelocks which prevents phone go to deepsleep.. do u have it sweet?

Try the GetRIL app, it should be able to find the RIL for you.

But if I understand correctly, KH3 is a Modem from the GB firmwares, and you're running and ICS Firmware, the RIL is part of the Firmware and I don't think you can install a GB RIL on ICS... but try the app.

rakeshishere

Feb 15, 2011
Need to test this. The magic config thread was slightly outdated and with new Siyah v4+ releases, it never got updated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Need to test this. The magic config thread was slightly outdated and with new Siyah v4+ releases, it never got updated.

It will once I get some testing results.

As I have mentioned before I do not possess an s2 anymore so it makes the process of updates slower. Doesn't hurt to be a bit patient right?

Sent from my HTC One X

rakeshishere

Feb 15, 2011
It will once I get some testing results.

As I have mentioned before I do not possess an s2 anymore so it makes the process of updates slower. Doesn't hurt to be a bit patient right?

Sent from my HTC One X

No offense mate. I'm aware that you no longer own S2 and moved to HOX. I just gave my opinion about magic config thread and it wasn't towards you.

Noed

Oct 14, 2011
Campinas
Thanks gb.yolo
I configured my phone with your settings and it's running nice.

I can't really feel a difference in "smoothness" and it's the first time I change GPU frequencies and UV... but I still can't really tell a difference... what should I expect from changing GPU params, other than battery life?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: Use this settings at your own risk. I am not responsible for what will happen to your phone.

So, Siyah Kernel 4.1.4 has been released, and since 4.1.1 and its new features I have struggled for obtaining maximum battery life without loosing smoothness.
    I tested these settings on 5 phones (Galaxy S2 GT-I9100): mine and my friends' ones, and we all got the same (more or less) results: it's awesome!
    Screen usage can get up to 7 hours. I did these tests with mobile data on for all phone usage, and not in deep sleep. When I was at home I switched to Wi-fi.
    My ROM is AOKP M6 (ICS 4.0.4), other tests were made on Resurrection remix JB, stock XWLPF (ics), CM9 stable (screen usage: about 6 hours, no more), and AOKP JB (latest).

Extweaks settings:

CPU:
    GENTLE FAIR SLEEPERS: ON
    CPU HOTPLUG: (default)
    CFS TWEAKS: Linux kernel defaults
    CPU IDLE MODE: AFTR+LPA
    SMOOTH SCALING LEVEL: 800 mHz
    MAX CPU LOCK: Dual core mode
    CPU UNDERVOLTING: - 50mV (if you get freezes, set -25mV)
    CPU STEP COUNT: 16 (all available)
    GOVERNOR: pegasusq
    MAX FREQ: 1200 MHz
    MIN FREQ: 200 MHz

GPU:
    MALI TOUCH BOOST LEVEL: Step 2/Step 3
    GPU STEP 1: 44 MHz
    GPU STEP 2: 66 MHz
    GPU STEP 3: 100 MHz
    GPU STEP 4: 200 MHz
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 1, 2 AND 3: 800 mV
    GPU VOLTAGE LEVEL 4: 950 mV

THRESHOLDS: default values

AUDIO:
    HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER: 0 (set this value as you want and as you ears can stand it, it doesn't affect battery life unless you listen to music)

SCREEN:
    TOUCHMOVE SENSITIVITY: 3 pixel
    mDNIe negative toggle: off

BLN:
    BLN: off
    NOTIFICATION TIMEOUT: never timeout
    BLN EFFECT: set what you want, cause BLN is disabled
    LED TIMEOUT: use ROM defaults
    LED FADEOUT: on
    LEDS ON WITH TOUCH: off
    LED VOLTAGE LEVEL: 2700 mV (2750/2800 mV if led lights are dim)

MISC:
    ANDROID LOGGER: off
    DEFAULT I/O SCHEDULER: cfq/noop

I think they are not too aggressive values, but if you get freezes, I recommend you reset your extweaks settings via CWM recovery and then use less aggressive ones.

In the attached screenshots, battery stats analysis starts from 91% since I had to restart my phone, and when it was at 10% I plugged the USB cable in to transfer a .zip file in my SD card, but I don't think that this 15-second charge affected my test :) (I'm sure it didn't!).
    Phone usage was high today, I used Tapatalk, created a new UCCW skin, did some long phone calls, Facebook, messaging, e-mail checking, and other stuff I don't remember since the battery stats don't even report them (lol).

Notice that this is an extreme test. 7 hours of screen usage is not a myth, reality instead, but you cannot get them with the so called 'everyday usage'.

Screenshots of test made on my usual phone usage will come soon :)

gokhanmoral : the men who created THE kernel, the Siyah kernel.
    geko95gek : author of MagicConfig. He found out the perfect balance between GPU frequencies and voltages.
    I have Siyah 4.1.5 and cm10 as ROM and everything is fine :)
    If you have some doubts about using these settings, try with less aggressive values first. If you can't see improvements in battery life without lags or lack of smoothness, use more aggressive ones. When you understand something is wrong with your phone (frequent lags, sods, freezes), then it's time to go back to the previous settings :)

Hope it helps :)

EDIT: when I say "without lags or lack of smoothness" I'm not talking about games, but everyday usage.
    With extweaks plus you can switch among three different profiles so that when you want to play games such as Asphalt, GTA and so on you can apply settings for getting the best performance while gaming :)
    Is cm9/aokp better for battery life or the samsung based roms?

As droidstarxx told you, it depends on how you use it. He said samsung based, and I agree with him, but aokp based roms still can give you a good battery life experience :)
    This seems largely similar to my MagicConfig thread. :D

Sent from my HTC One X
    I saw u're using XXKH3 modem as it's also my favourite... can u please share with me XXKH3 RIL ? It was what I've been looking for & nobody could provide it w/ links or a drop box.. thanks..

My modem's XXKH3, and i downloaded it here: http://www.ziddu.com/download/19200730/Modem-XXKH3-CWM-DragoN3252.zip.html
    ;)
    hope this helps
    cheers!