Iconia a501 on HC 3.2.1 to KK?

Search This thread

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Hi, I used Timmy Deans tool on my Iconia 501 the at&t version and it put me on the A500 3.2.1 and rooted me with cwm recovery. I am looking to g o all the way up to Kit Kat and dont want to mess my tab up any one point me to info and steps? please?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Kit Kat? Acer only updated to our tab to ics. unlock the boot loader and flash a custom rom

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Hmmm, I guess I was not clear, I am rooted and have cwm. Do I not need to change my base and if I'm on hc 3.2.1 before I go to kit kat? I am pretty sure I read that I need to update some stuff? I can just flash kit kat straight from hc?

Sent from my A500 using XDA Free mobile app

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I just read a recent post on what bits u needed for it...in dev forum I think

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2723258

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Here's a post from rg1003
Detailing his steps

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51861548
Thanks for this ROM - my install went very smoothly. In case it helps anyone here is what I did - none of it required fastboot or adb:

Stating Point: Skrilax's V8 Bootloader, Thor's 1.7.3 Recovery, Randomblame's 4.3 JellyTime Release 1 (great ROM BTW). All the needed files (new recovery, OmniIROM, gapps, SuperSU) downloaded to my external sd card.

Step 1: Reboot into existing recovery and flash Thor's TWRP rev 2.0 beta 1 recovery. Reboot and make sure I could load my existing JB ROM.

Step 2: Reboot into the new recovery, go to wipe menu and choose Factory Reset.

Step 3: Flash OmniROM from OP, reboot. I did not have the issues others are having and was able get into the new ROM in less than a minute.

Step 4: Enabled developer options so I could reboot from the power menu (not necessary but convenient), reboot into recovery and flash the minimal gapps from the link in the OP. Reboot and make sure I could still boot into OmniROM.

Step 5: Reboot into recovery one more time and flash SuperSU from the OP

I had some trouble getting into the play store at first, it seemed to hang but after two more reboots (after first reboot I was able to load the play store and after the second I was able to access my apps) I was able to install TB so I could reinstall the rest of my stuff.

Maybe this methodical install one thing, reboot and make sure everything is working ok before rebooting to install the next is overkill but in the end it all worked for me.

Looking forward to using this ROM on my A500. Thanks again for all your hard work and keeping this tab alive!

Last edited:

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
I just read a recent post on what bits u needed for it...in dev forum I think

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2723258

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Here's a post from rg1003
Detailing his steps

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51861548
Thanks for this ROM - my install went very smoothly. In case it helps anyone here is what I did - none of it required fastboot or adb:

Stating Point: Skrilax's V8 Bootloader, Thor's 1.7.3 Recovery, Randomblame's 4.3 JellyTime Release 1 (great ROM BTW). All the needed files (new recovery, OmniIROM, gapps, SuperSU) downloaded to my external sd card.

Step 1: Reboot into existing recovery and flash Thor's TWRP rev 2.0 beta 1 recovery. Reboot and make sure I could load my existing JB ROM.

Step 2: Reboot into the new recovery, go to wipe menu and choose Factory Reset.

Step 3: Flash OmniROM from OP, reboot. I did not have the issues others are having and was able get into the new ROM in less than a minute.

Step 4: Enabled developer options so I could reboot from the power menu (not necessary but convenient), reboot into recovery and flash the minimal gapps from the link in the OP. Reboot and make sure I could still boot into OmniROM.

Step 5: Reboot into recovery one more time and flash SuperSU from the OP

I had some trouble getting into the play store at first, it seemed to hang but after two more reboots (after first reboot I was able to load the play store and after the second I was able to access my apps) I was able to install TB so I could reinstall the rest of my stuff.

Maybe this methodical install one thing, reboot and make sure everything is working ok before rebooting to install the next is overkill but in the end it all worked for me.

Looking forward to using this ROM on my A500. Thanks again for all your hard work and keeping this tab alive!

So I found this thread last night and when I get to the nvflash it tells me its not an executable command? I am using V8 and running from the windows batch file in the folder, I am on windows 8 also, although I tried on my w7 machine also nothing!

that guy is also on JB I am on HC

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Need adb and fastboot drivers installed on yr pc. These are in the android sdk or u can d/l them in a mini zip from my root guide.

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Need adb and fastboot drivers installed on yr pc. These are in the android sdk or u can d/l them in a mini zip from my root guide.

Well I reinstalled W7 and everything went great until, I didnt follow directions on the rom I was trying to flash. I am ICS bootloader unlocked now and I have V8 installed but now I cant get into recovery. I am able to get in to a different menu which says I can boot into recovery but all it does is says booting recovery kernel image. I went in to fastboot mode and used fastboot command fastboot reboot recovery and it didnt work, I do have the drivers installed for fastboot but I think I am missing something small probably. Any help would be appreciated. I wiped system in recovery and flashed Evil Alex rom, then read the directions like an idiot, this is way different than all the phones.

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Well I reinstalled W7 and everything went great until, I didnt follow directions on the rom I was trying to flash. I am ICS bootloader unlocked now and I have V8 installed but now I cant get into recovery. I am able to get in to a different menu which says I can boot into recovery but all it does is says booting recovery kernel image. I went in to fastboot mode and used fastboot command fastboot reboot recovery and it didnt work, I do have the drivers installed for fastboot but I think I am missing something small probably. Any help would be appreciated. I wiped system in recovery and flashed Evil Alex rom, then read the directions like an idiot, this is way different than all the phones.

GOT IT! duh, all I had to do was reboot into APX mode manually and run the flash tool again and then the most important part as ALWAYS READ THE OP of the rom you are flashing!

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Hehe if all else fails reading the directions will do the trick...pleased u got it sorted:)