[i317-i317M][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

Search This thread

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
Re: [03.03.2013][PhilZ Touch][i317/M]4.87 Touch Enhanced CWM 6.0.2.8-exFAT-ext4-Root

When I try to make a custom backup no matter what partitions I choose, I get an "Error while backing up *PARTITION NAME HERE* image!" error. Does this for the TWRP backup option as well.

All backups were tested by many and do work. Without providing a log, it will be hard to help you. Advanced / Report Error and attach the recovery.log file here

Can someone punt new to a help section or user manual so i can read how to convert from twrp to cwm and vice versa. Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I just dropped that project yesterday and the 2 menus will be removed on next update. This would be long time consuming operation. It is useless since i provided option to migrate to and from TWRP already

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: intuition34

intuition34

Jul 7, 2006
Re: [03.03.2013][PhilZ Touch][i317/M]4.87 Touch Enhanced CWM 6.0.2.8-exFAT-ext4-Root

All backups were tested by many and do work. Without providing a log, it will be hard to help you. Advanced / Report Error and attach the recovery.log file here

I just dropped that project yesterday and the 2 menus will be removed on next update. This would be long time consuming operation. It is useless since i provided option to migrate to and from TWRP already

Understandable, but I'm still unclear on how to do the migration you speak of. This would involve converting one or more older backups to your "new" chosen format right? Not expecting to be given the answer, but even suggested search teems would help. At a total loss. Here.

Phil3759

May 30, 2012

Understandable, but I'm still unclear on how to do the migration you speak of. This would involve converting one or more older backups to your "new" chosen format right? Not expecting to be given the answer, but even suggested search teems would help. At a total loss. Here.

In TWRP mode, you can backup your current ROM to the TWRP format. You can also restore any backup you made with TWRP.
Just enter the menu and it should be self explanatory. Either backup or restore, like if you were under TWRP. Hope it is more clear

Reactions: intuition34

intuition34

Jul 7, 2006

In TWRP mode, you can backup your current ROM to the TWRP format. You can also restore any backup you made with TWRP.
Just enter the menu and it should be self explanatory. Either backup or restore, like if you were under TWRP. Hope it is more clear

Yes, that helps. Thanks. I was stuck on the concept of converting the back ups themselves between formats, rather than bringing the back up. (whichever format it is) on to the phone, then Backing that up using the other format. Has this slow witted moron finally have it?

One more question /comment or two :
I see no reason at all to b/u or restore the cache Partition. Am I missing something?

On my i317,when I go into the mounts section, the internal sd card is always Unmounted and can't be manually mounted. Is this because in the note 2 Samsung uses the goofy data/media-->sd card emulation and as such, isn't really a disk that can be mounted or unmounted. (at least not in the sense those terms are applied to, for instance, a micro sd card inserted in the phones sd card.slot and can then be mounted /unmounted. Do I have that right?

Lastly, if i ever go back to a 4.1.x based rom, can I use the file that is included in the. I317 nightlIes thread to restore the SD card to single user mode. (ie move everything out from under the data /media / directory) or does taunt this recovery require avoider /different approach.?

Phil3759

May 30, 2012

Yes, that helps. Thanks. I was stuck on the concept of converting the back ups themselves between formats, rather than bringing the back up. (whichever format it is) on to the phone, then Backing that up using the other format. Has this slow witted moron finally have it?

One more question /comment or two :
I see no reason at all to b/u or restore the cache Partition. Am I missing something?

On my i317,when I go into the mounts section, the internal sd card is always Unmounted and can't be manually mounted. Is this because in the note 2 Samsung uses the goofy data/media-->sd card emulation and as such, isn't really a disk that can be mounted or unmounted. (at least not in the sense those terms are applied to, for instance, a micro sd card inserted in the phones sd card.slot and can then be mounted /unmounted. Do I have that right?

Lastly, if i ever go back to a 4.1.x based rom, can I use the file that is included in the. I317 nightlIes thread to restore the SD card to single user mode. (ie move everything out from under the data /media / directory) or does taunt this recovery require avoider /different approach.?

Cache: it can be useful, yes. In custom backup mode, you can uncheck it though

Sdcard mount: that's the cause in fact. It is possible in theory, but complicated technically

This recovery can browse /sdcard/0 in custom restore mode. You can revert it as you like, nothing special

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
New in PhilZ Touch v4.87.6
Full change log in below posts
  • fix: show progress during TWRP backup and restore
  • auto dim screen on timeout supported during backup and restore operations
  • fix header menu could overlap battery stats if they are at 100%
  • fix: restore custom rom zip failed because of left debug code
  • fix: build custom rom zip from existing ROM would fail to restore if backup format was compressed
  • huge performance optimize when building custom rom .zip from existing ROM (only backup needed partitions)
  • fix useless edify incompatible code in custom rom .zip (alpha 06 files)
  • show compatible phone variants in About

v4.87.6

Phil3759

May 30, 2012

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
>>True support for /data/media/0 for Android 4.2.2<<
First to introduce true JB 4.2 migration: live toggle between /data/media and /data/media/0
This implementation keeps compatibility with stock cwm while giving user option to force /data/media/0
When migrating from or to JB 4.2, you still need to move folders to/from /data/media/0. No one will do it for you
- fix early mount of /data for datamedia devices caused by write_recovery_version()
this could cause errors on some install scripts
- hide some external menus for devices without external storage
- fix Setup Free Browse Mode bug for devices without external storage
- fix Free Browse Mode could not browse up to the root for /data/media devices
- fix Misc Nandroid Settings menu regression for devices without external storage
- fix .nandroid_secure selection in custom backup and restore for devices without external storage
- no more mount internal/external storage when checking for ors script at startup
- do not report custom recovery logs to ROM Manager
- export error log on failure during boot installed packages
- make sure we have all the log posted by users
- misc bug fixes

4.92.3 (03.04.2013)
- properly set time for all recovery session: this will now apply to the time stamp of any file modified (logs, backups...)
- add Daylight Saving Time support

4.91.9 (03.04.2013)
- merge and fix fb2png source: now built as static binary and compatible with RGBX devices (Nexus 4...)
special thanks for this to McKael and a huge thumbs up to talustus for his great support
- silent failure when formatting non existing /sd-ext volume
- use statfs instead of stat in nandroid operations
- misc fixes
- i9100/n7000 zip installer: option to skip flashing superuser using philz_installer.cfg
- i9100/n7000: disable init binary substitution from older LSJ (aka /data corruption bootloop fix)
- i9100/n7000: update clockworkmod superuser to 1.0.1.7 (security fix)

4.91.5 (29.03.2013)
- Support Nexus 4 (mako)
- fix nandroid backup and restore for devices without /modem, /radio, /preload and /efs
- fix recovery functions for devices without external sdcard storage

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zg46ow2j603731w/philz_touch_4.92.8-i317M.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mpr6rcx2b168ca8/philz_touch_4.92.8-i317M.tar.md5

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
Full change log from previous version here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39433912&postcount=5

4.93.6 CWM 6.0.3.1
- fix reboot to bootloader for phones without download mode
- define default values for CWM Advanced Edition builds to non officially supported devices by PhilZ Touch
- no need to confirm sideload as it can be cancelled
- move philz settings file from /system to /data
- fix compile error for non PhilZ Touch version
- revert temporary assert fix for i9100/n7000 (ramdisk changes):
* do not mount /system in init.rc
* add needed entries in default.prop
- n7000: no more replace init binary to fix /data corruption bootloop issue (ramdisk changes)

Start from this version (upload in progress for all supported devices), all recovery images are automatically repacked with stock/modified ramdisk.
The use of automated scripts should lead to less human errors and possibility for instant updates for all devices whenever source is updated

However, in the first releases, some bugs could appear. So, be careful when flashing upcoming packages as I cannot be made responsible for any damage to your phone. Assume the updates to be beta for advanced users

In practice, I manually checked all releases to be sure they are fine, but who knows...

Download links
Last version can be found here:

Last edited:

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
4.94.6 (21.04.2013)
- fix compile error for non touch version
- N71xx, T889, I317/M: repack on wanam Adam 2.3 kernel to fix boot delay for non stock kernels
- Fix touch support for HTC One X (endeavoru) and HTC One XL (evita)
- More fixes for HTC Explorer (pico) - work in progress

Thanks to wanam for compiling kernels for N71xx and i317M to fix boot delay for custom kernels :good:

Download links

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
4.96.5 (27.04.2013)
- change event input handling code to support auto-interpolation
- auto support for devices built-in virtual keys
- enable key repeat for recovery virtual buttons (up/down): now they auto-repeat while pressed
- fix HTC One X nandroid backup was very slow (ramdisk changes)
- fix touch for new N71xx, T889, I317/M repacks based on wanam Adam 2.3 kernel to fix boot delay for non stock kernels
- misc bug fixes and code optimization

Please give a feedback if it fixed previous touch issues and how the virtual buttons do repeat while pressed

Download links

Last edited:

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
PhilZ Touch version 5

- Brings mainly a completely revised and more portable touch code
- A true scrolling touch GUI
- A lot of fixes and optimizations

image1resize.png

image2resize.png

image3resize.png

image5resize.png

Change log
- touch code completely rewritten to support more devices (no more calibration needed)
- true touch scroll effect and much improved touch response
- secure touch: robust to wrong selections while scrolling + confirmation before any bad thing
- add option to completely disable touch
- options to restore Koush or PhilZ Touch background images
- restoring default backgrounds (Koush, PhilZ Touch) will apply live (a reboot was previously needed)
- fix touch on HTC Pico, HTC One S and HTC One XL
- restore support for device keys KEY_MENU and Home key (KEY_HOME, KEY_HOMEPAGE)
- add /preload support in twrp backup and restore modes
- mount /system and /data on Aroma File Explorer launch
- fix battery stats error in some circumstances
- i9100/n7000: update CWM Superuser to v1.0.1.8 (through zip installer)
- code cleaning, various fixes and optimizations
- force reset of recovery settings to v5: new settings file name
- backup file name is unchanged so that old settings can still be restored

Download links

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
Note: after scroll, first touch will select only. After one sec of scrolling or on second touch, it will validate immeadiately. This is by design and not a bug. It is there to limit erroneous validation while scrolling
Read more about it here: Validation Lock after scrolling

Reactions: nidnarb

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
New version 5.03.0

Below is full change log
In short:
- potential serious bug for /data/media devices
- Advanced Backup statistics during nandroid tar operations
- Update to cwm 6.0.3.2
- 3 new colors as requested
- Add toggles to change color of header text and battery/clock display color
- Small GUI changes (fix color highlight of virtual buttons and the bottom menu line color

- fix backup size progress in twrp mode
- improve code for backup stats during nandroid jobs
- display full backup stats (total size, compression ratio, elapsed time) at end of backups
- merge last cm-10.1 updates:
* fix nandroid cmd command did not load volume table
* support nandroid dump/undump commands
* nandroid backup command line still segfaults
* silent log when mounting /data/media
Touch:
- add 3 new color palettes (30 colors total): dimmer gray, yellow and gold
- add toggle for header custom color
- add toggle for battery and clock custom color
- line at bottom of menus will now have same color as menus separator lines
- set new defaults to header and menu text colors
- show backup/restore stats in color during nandroid jobs
- fix touch issue when exiting friendly log or blanked screen, and pressing on virtual buttons

- fix root break for devices with shared recovery partition caused by Whil Wheaton update
- advanced backup size monitoring during nandroid operations
- prompt to cancel backup on low free space (% and absolute)
- live display size stats during backup: total data written, free space left
- support backup and restore of /misc partition for both CWM and TWRP operations
- prevent potential segfault when calling is_data_media_volume_path()
- merge cm-10.1 changes:
* remove adb sideload /tmp/update.zip after flashing to avoid second flash under some circumstances
- fix android_secure could not be backed up under some circumstances (ensure mount of sdcard)
- completely rewritten android_secure support: much simpler code
Touch:
- optimize cancel nandroid job action
- allow cancel yaffs2 nandroid operations
- allow dim screen timeout during yaffs2 nandroid operations
- fix set brightness and auto-dim screen timer for Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- fix battery stats display for Nexus 10
- restore default actions of real device keys we fake for touch events
- correctly map device virtual keys to default recovery actions
- fix virtual buttons highlight color to match their line separator color (blue)

- support Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- clean code for non PhilZ Touch buils
- Merge cm-10.1 changes to cwm 6.0.3.2:
* recovery: fix sideload cancel" into cm-10.1
* make_ext4fs support
* auto prompt to root device when booting to main system

- use device specific background images during compile process

Download links

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
I updated I think the correct way to the newest version of this release in this thread, already had it installed downloaded the newest zip from this thread and flashed it in recovery and now I can't change backgrounds. It says invalid .png I created a custom_res folder and all that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Main thread + features + install instructions + dev support
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

PhilZ Touch is a CWM Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in CWM
    It is a well proven recovery for many phones

It also adds a full touch interface a completely configurable GUI

Since many requests to port it to i317/M, here it is finally released

Please give your feedback, what works, and any bug you could encounter
    Read the features, and check if you are missing something

I would appreciate a screen shot from your device, mainly under GUI options or custom backup menu where you select partitions
    To take a screen shot, just slide left

Also, do not forget to read about the powerful aroma file manager integration and double tap shortcut

Download links
    Recovery (.zip) packages instructions
    They come in the form of .zip files that can be flashed in cwm recovery
    • Download philz_touch_xxx.zip file
    • Put the previously downloaded philz_touch_xxx.zip file on your sd card
    • Boot into recovery (volume up+home+power)
    • Select "Install zip" and browser to your downloaded zip file.
    • Now select the philz_touch_xxx.zip fileyou copied in previous step
    • You will have PhilZ Touch Recovery flashed

Odin packages instructions
    They come in the form of .tar.md5 file
    • boot into download mode
    • start odin3 and configure it as in picture below
    • connect phone in download mode to PC via USB
    • press start to flash the tar.md5 package
    • normally, phone should auto-reboot into recovery.
      If it reboots into android and your recovery remains stock, repeat above steps and untick "autoreboot" in odin. Once flash is done, keep pressing power button until it reboots (normally will go to recovery)
    • when in recovery, if you choose option "reboot system now" and you get "yes - disable flash recovery", select that option to avoid stock recovery overwriting cwm

image272j.png

<< Root your phone and reset Yellow Triangle >>
    • Once in recovery, flash the attached Root_SuperSU.x.xx.Only-signed.zip file to root your phone
    • If you want root + busybox: flash Root_SuperSU.x.xx-Busybox.1.20.2-signed.zip file
    • to remove yellow triangle, use TriangleAway
    v5.06.1

5.05.0 --> 5.06.1
    5.06.1 (02.06.2013)
    - HTC One: move to new m7ul device tree

5.06.0 (01.06.2013)
    - support dual modem devices nandroid operations (dual sim, i9505)
    - merge cm-10.1 changes: support version 2 (2048-bit e=65537) keys in recovery
    - Nexus S/4G (crespo/4g): add mmcblk names to recovery.fstab to fix /data mount
    - HTC Desire X (protou): support both protou-ics and protu-jb fstab

5.05.9 (31.05.2013)
    - do not write backup size progress to log file
    - show total time after restore job
    - write backup path to log

5.05.7 (30.05.2013)
    - use bigger 23x41 roboto font for HD devices (i9500, i9505, Nexus 10)
    - do not uselessly statfs partition to refresh backup size progress if we're under NICE_INTERVAL (100ms)
    - show backup compression 0% when backup is tar format and compression is disabled
    - fix get time events during nandroid jobs and touch events
    - universal scroll sensitivity and row height settings (fix hypersensitivity for HD devices)
    - fix backup size progress for datamedia devices (special thanks to pickandwhammy for the time he spent in debugging this and providing logs)
    - merge Get_Folder_Size() changes from twrp 2.5
    - misc logging improvements
    - small bug fixes
    Before asking for support:

• Make sure your issue is recovery related
    • All external sdcard issues: first format in PC with primary partition, tons of people are formatting as logical and come cry
    • Reproduce your issue and while in recovery:
    • Go to Advanced / Report Error
    • Copy the /sdcard/clockworkmod/recovery.log and attach it here
    • Give detailed info about your issues
    • Without these, there is little chance I can help you, so, do not get mad if I do not answer

Request a build for a new device:
    • Go to sammobile.com
    • Search for your phone
    • Download the +1Gb last firmware file (ideally unbranded and in any case a European version)
    • Unzip downloaded file
    • Rename the tar.md5 file into .tar
    • Extract from the tar file the boot.img and recovery.img files
    • Post them here with exact file name of the file you downloaded from sammobile (exp: N7100XXDLL7_N7100OXADLL4_XEF.zip)
    • Post a link to your phone specifications, ideally, a comparison between your phone and the n7100
    • If they do not share same hardware, ensure there is a cm10.x source for your phone (Optional if you do not know how to check it)
    • You got a 100% chance for an answer and 90% chance that I release it
    >>True support for /data/media/0 for Android 4.2.2<<
    First to introduce true JB 4.2 migration: live toggle between /data/media and /data/media/0
    This implementation keeps compatibility with stock cwm while giving user option to force /data/media/0
    When migrating from or to JB 4.2, you still need to move folders to/from /data/media/0. No one will do it for you
    - fix early mount of /data for datamedia devices caused by write_recovery_version()
    this could cause errors on some install scripts
    - hide some external menus for devices without external storage
    - fix Setup Free Browse Mode bug for devices without external storage
    - fix Free Browse Mode could not browse up to the root for /data/media devices
    - fix Misc Nandroid Settings menu regression for devices without external storage
    - fix .nandroid_secure selection in custom backup and restore for devices without external storage
    - no more mount internal/external storage when checking for ors script at startup
    - do not report custom recovery logs to ROM Manager
    - export error log on failure during boot installed packages
    - make sure we have all the log posted by users
    - misc bug fixes

4.92.3 (03.04.2013)
    - properly set time for all recovery session: this will now apply to the time stamp of any file modified (logs, backups...)
    - add Daylight Saving Time support

4.91.9 (03.04.2013)
    - merge and fix fb2png source: now built as static binary and compatible with RGBX devices (Nexus 4...)
    special thanks for this to McKael and a huge thumbs up to talustus for his great support
    - silent failure when formatting non existing /sd-ext volume
    - use statfs instead of stat in nandroid operations
    - misc fixes
    - i9100/n7000 zip installer: option to skip flashing superuser using philz_installer.cfg
    - i9100/n7000: disable init binary substitution from older LSJ (aka /data corruption bootloop fix)
    - i9100/n7000: update clockworkmod superuser to 1.0.1.7 (security fix)

4.91.5 (29.03.2013)
    - Support Nexus 4 (mako)
    - fix nandroid backup and restore for devices without /modem, /radio, /preload and /efs
    - fix recovery functions for devices without external sdcard storage

Download
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/zg46ow2j603731w/philz_touch_4.92.8-i317M.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mpr6rcx2b168ca8/philz_touch_4.92.8-i317M.tar.md5