Noobs Definite Guide to Himalaya Updating [XP/VISTA]

Search This thread

bobsys

Aug 31, 2003
Antwerp
it could be because of the Network Manager has old settings, try setting it up manually

Well, I downloaded Nertwork Wizzard and ran it. That configured my GPRS data connection automatically for BASE. So far so good, but ..... when I use the PHONE.... it still connects to ORANGE for voice. At least now the data connection goes to BASE. Really myisterious to me. I really wonder what algorithme a phone follows to select the GSM network to use.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
hmm, try selecting the Phone Network Manually, and see if that helps

kinderenh

Feb 15, 2007
Well, I downloaded Nertwork Wizzard and ran it. That configured my GPRS data connection automatically for BASE. So far so good, but ..... when I use the PHONE.... it still connects to ORANGE for voice. At least now the data connection goes to BASE. Really myisterious to me. I really wonder what algorithme a phone follows to select the GSM network to use.

There is nothing on the phone that directs you to a network, all data for network selection is on the SIM. This could just be a translation issue; your phone receives an operator id and translates it to an operator name. The translation table may reside on your phone but can also reside on your SIM. Maybe BASE is not in your Windows ROM, although I rather expect it to be in your Radio ROM. You might want to consider upgrading the radio ROM. It is recommended to use version 1.17 for the Hima.

Otherwise, if you live near the border, it might be that your Hima tries to roam on a Orange cell that is stronger than a BASE cell. You can recognize this by the triangle that appears next to the connection icon. Data traffic is always routed to a APN, also when roaming. In that case, you could roam on Orange but still use GPRS on the BASE APN.

Try selecting the network manually and see if BASE pops up, if not, it is only a translation error of the network name.

bobsys

Aug 31, 2003
Antwerp
There is nothing on the phone that directs you to a network, all data for network selection is on the SIM. This could just be a translation issue; your phone receives an operator id and translates it to an operator name. The translation table may reside on your phone but can also reside on your SIM. Maybe BASE is not in your Windows ROM, although I rather expect it to be in your Radio ROM. You might want to consider upgrading the radio ROM. It is recommended to use version 1.17 for the Hima.

Otherwise, if you live near the border, it might be that your Hima tries to roam on a Orange cell that is stronger than a BASE cell. You can recognize this by the triangle that appears next to the connection icon. Data traffic is always routed to a APN, also when roaming. In that case, you could roam on Orange but still use GPRS on the BASE APN.

Try selecting the network manually and see if BASE pops up, if not, it is only a translation error of the network name.

Thanks for your elaborate explanation. I think you are spot on even though I do not understand everything you say. I find that all my phone calls are properly charged to my BASE account (which I can consult on the internet) This applies to GSM calls where the phone says ORANGE as well as for data usage where it says BASE. Manual selection does not show BASE in the list of the Hima but it schows on my Diamond and my old Nokia phone using the same SIM. Therefore I believe your translation theory is correct and that translation must reside in the phone. Probably as you suggest in the radio. I use radio 1.17. I do not know how I could flash another phone only. Further I did never see the "triangle" you talk about or maybe I do not know what I have to look for exactly. On the screenshot you can see the ORANGE network whereas in the phonelist below it you can see the SIMM configured itself for BASE.( BASE help and BASE services)

Attachments

• hima.JPG
    hima.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 80

kinderenh

Feb 15, 2007
If you are roaming the triangle I mentioned would appear on the location where now the battery icon is located. The battery icon would move one position to the left. If no triangle is shown you are not roaming but you are connected to your home network, which would be BASE, even though it says Orange in the display.

If you already use radio 1.17 there is no need to upgrade. If you really have time there are version 1.18 and 1.19 you might try, both are disputed because of their suspected high battery usage.

To upgrade a radio ROM, use Ather90's Rom Upgrade Utility and only put the radio ROM in the same directory. The utility will only upgrade the Radio ROM and will not touch the Windows ROM. You can find the radio ROMS by using search or on the xda-developers FTP site.

bobsys

Aug 31, 2003
Antwerp
If you are roaming the triangle I mentioned would appear on the location where now the battery icon is located. The battery icon would move one position to the left. If no triangle is shown you are not roaming but you are connected to your home network, which would be BASE, even though it says Orange in the display.

If you already use radio 1.17 there is no need to upgrade. If you really have time there are version 1.18 and 1.19 you might try, both are disputed because of their suspected high battery usage.

To upgrade a radio ROM, use Ather90's Rom Upgrade Utility and only put the radio ROM in the same directory. The utility will only upgrade the Radio ROM and will not touch the Windows ROM. You can find the radio ROMS by using search or on the xda-developers FTP site.

Thanks again. You must be right when you say I am connected to BASE even though ORANGE is displayed because my BASE account on the internet is properly charged for all calls and data usage. I am not anywhere close to any boarder and therefor not roaming. Furthermore proven by the fact that the same SIM in two other devices shows BASE and not Orange. Only my Qtek 2020 does that and does it for every ROM I flashed namely WM 2003 SE and WM 6.1
So, this has become a matter of curiosity rather then a real problem however I would like to learn more about GSM's and therefore I am determined to find what causes this anomaly. I just looked and apparently I am now using radio 1.18
I am going to download radio 1.19 and 1.17 and see what happens.

jonmuss

Dec 13, 2004
Sync with Vista

I guess this will load the right driver to sync with Vista but what if you do not want to burn a new rom image, if as i have, allready installed the rom you want on a computer running XP and you just want to sync with a computer running Vista? Do i have to re-burn the rom image on the Vista machine or can i load this driver some other way without putting my XDA2 in 'bootloader' mode?

J

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
going into the bootloader is no big, just dont run the RUU after the drivers are installed, simply softreset

(hope i understood right)

jonmuss

Dec 13, 2004
Sync with Vista

Thanks for your quick reply Ather. The problem seems to start with the PDA itself, normally when i sync with XP i have to leave the option ticked in Settings\System\USB to PC, if i use this same setting on Vista nothing happens. If i then deselect the above option the PDA locks up and i have to re-boot. Whenever this option is selected the XDA locks.

If i use the other serialusbfn.dll file that is posted on this site i can get the PDA to sync but its a bit hit and miss.

So, do i need to change the serialusbfn.dll file on every WM 6.1 Rom that i use and then put my device in bootloader mode and follow your guide or not.

Thanks

J

10mg

Feb 2, 2009
Off topic from above.

I have successfully used VM workstation running xp with activesync 4.5 on a windows7 machine to flash my Roms! I was too lazy to use the xp pc downstairs lol

pedrothefish

Nov 5, 2008
upgrade to WM6

re the first page of this thread."things that wont work after the upgrade"
is the "CF slot " where the sd cards go?
i use a tomtom sd card so if it doesnt work i wont do the upgrade
thanks in advance for your help

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
You are right: No flashing with vista 64bit. Try to flash under VM. Someone posted here, you have to search, because I don't remember, where. But it is in this forum, I know.

Last edited:

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
yup they do, im my self on windows7, workes great