Aokp to d3

Search This thread

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
From what I read, the biggest new features are supposed to be Android's own version of NFC and compatibility with netbooks, laptops, desktops..... I agree it is too early for another release, but perhaps the extra features that are supposed to be included are too significant to just be an update to say 4.05.

That's a valid point. I'm just getting slightly concerned about the rapid pace of both OS development, and handset manufacturing. A lot of us here like to be on the "bleeding edge" so to speak, but with new devices being released every 5 months (Droid 3 to Droid 4 being the best example), certain devices become almost irrelevant overnight, and we don't get opportunities to enjoy the current incarnation of the platform, before a new one rolls out. Thankfully, we have devs, like Hash, who are breaking themselves to allow us to extend the shelf life of our device.

Sent from my DROID 3 using xda premium

droidian1441

Sep 17, 2011
Christiansburg
^^I agree. There was so much hype surrounding the 4.0 OS that it seems both doubtful and (if true) disappointing that Google would be too shortsighted/trigger-happy, to actually let the OS mature a bit first, before pumping out another release. I've owned Android devices for better or worse, since the OG Droid, and I have to say that the evolution of the platform has been staggering...but I'm at a loss as to how the OS could really get SIGNIFICANTLY better than this. It's just my opinion, but I think 4.x is close to perfect...in the past, I could see clearly, how Eclair, Froyo, or GB could be improved, but ICS really has it all. I just think it would be terribly irresponsible of both Google and manufacturers, to support the release of a new OS this soon...

I agree, Google should wait for another major release. I mean the Android 4.0 operating system is only on ONE device officially and they have got to be out of their mind if they think anything good could come from releasing Android 5.0.

Also all of the customers of the Galaxy Nexus and other devices slated to get an upgrade to Android 4.0 will not be happy to know that their manufacturer is providing an update to a platform that was overlapped by Google themselves.

I can tell this will not bring good publicity to Google. Everybody would be pointing there eyes back at Google for releasing a new OS after one is barely going across ANY android devices officially.

That's a valid point. I'm just getting slightly concerned about the rapid pace of both OS development, and handset manufacturing. A lot of us here like to be on the "bleeding edge" so to speak, but with new devices being released every 5 months (Droid 3 to Droid 4 being the best example), certain devices become almost irrelevant overnight, and we don't get opportunities to enjoy the current incarnation of the platform, before a new one rolls out. Thankfully, we have devs, like Hash, who are breaking themselves to allow us to extend the shelf life of our device.

I too am a bit concerned about this as well. I think its more frequently dependent on the development of the actual Android platform, so much as the devices being manufactured.

It really depends on what manufacturer you're talking about. HTC for example has admitted they released too many devices and plan on focusing on increasing the quality of their devices, software and hardware wise.

If you're talking about Motorola however, they just pump out the devices as quick as they can design them. This whole "money collection via device purchases" (as I like to call it) started with the DROID X2.

Think of this timeline for their releases on Verizon since May of last year.

DROID X2 - May
DROID 3 - July
DROID Bionic - September
DROID Razr (original) - November
DROID Razr Maxx - January
DROID 4 - February

These all have TWO MONTHS in between releases for all of these devices except for the Razr Maxx and D4. It's all just a thing for collecting money and I have my doubts the X2 or D3 may even complete Motorola's upgrade cycle for ICS. This wouldn't surprise me and we may only get ICS via these ROM's like Hashcode or I are creating for the D3. All these devices are still fairly new and Motorola doesn't seem to care about making the device worth buying since the software the Bionic and D3 that shipped with them is already outdated by the newer versions on the RAZR's and D4.

IMO, Motorola needs to SLOW DOWN with releases or I can see people not purchasing their devices just solely based on the fact they keep outdating phones quickly.

Last edited:

Dri94

Oct 9, 2011
Florida
he makes a point. apples one thing is consistensty. Their OS looks appealing but its only the dev community that makes it powerful. Our OS is naturally powerful and the dev community makes it 'appeal' to those who like the visual aspects. Each company (Samsung, motoroloa, LG, HTC) could all have an apple competitor phones if they simply concentrated on one phone and making it great. Motorola could go with keyboards. samsung screens, lg a lowend/highend type of thing, and htc speciallize in media) or atleast have one phone each year that they concentrated on most, and realse it once a year [srping would be best] and then give it all the media attention. This would make all of them able to compete with apple.

droidian1441

Sep 17, 2011
Christiansburg
he makes a point. apples one thing is consistensty. Their OS looks appealing but its only the dev community that makes it powerful. Our OS is naturally powerful and the dev community makes it 'appeal' to those who like the visual aspects. Each company (Samsung, motoroloa, LG, HTC) could all have an apple competitor phones if they simply concentrated on one phone and making it great. Motorola could go with keyboards. samsung screens, lg a lowend/highend type of thing, and htc speciallize in media) or atleast have one phone each year that they concentrated on most. This would make all of them able to compete with apple.

If Motorola were to concentrate on one device in the current market that would be one of the shocks of life. It is truly the development community of all of these devices that makes the owner get the best out of their phone.

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
These are all really good points. We can piss and moan all we want, but manufacturers will keep pumping out devices, and we'll probably keep consuming them like Skittles. In my opinion, the WORST move ever made was the OG Galaxy Tab... I bought it a month after it came out, thinking it was going to be epic; it's a great device, and there's some decent dev work going on for it, but Samsung shipped that thing, intending for it to be DOA (dead on arrival). Even though it's a proven powerhouse of a device (I see Quadrant scores around and just over 3000 on the CM9 build), Samsung threw it into the market as a "feeler", to gauge the public response to Android tablet devices, with little/no intention of ever updating the thing. Turns out, I bought a $600 as-is device, under the assumption that it would be supported, and the next thing you know, there's a new line of SGT devices. That was the most epic manufacturer fail of all time I think.

Honestly, I could care less about the variety of devices out there, but they need to be supported, and they need to not be redundant... the Bionic and D3 are essentially the same device, just +/- the keyboard, the Razr, Razr Maxx, and D4 all look the same (haven't checked specs though), and don't even get me started on the poor people who bought the Atrix. The Xoom has been repackaged to include a "family" edition (whatever the hell that means), the Xyboard is out, and the Xoom 2 is on the way... variety is great, but how many of those devices are seeing regular OTAs (say one every 4 months), and how many will still be relevant by June? If carriers and manufacturers just updated these devices (and I mean OS updates, not maintenance patches), like they're supposed to (for a duration of 18 months, post release), then I wouldn't really have a problem...but they don't.

If Jellybean (awful name btw) IS going to drop, I would almost bet money on a summer release, on a Verizon quad core tablet, and then a series of excuses as to why the OS isn't ready for phones yet. Honeycomb proved one thing to Google and device makers...that we are rabid about getting what we want (see all the HC ports as evidence), and the same is starting to happen with ICS. I think they're seriously threatened by the great, progressive developers our community has (because YOU extend our device shelf life!), and are responding by amping up production across the board.

In any event, I've raved like a mad man for long enough... I would love it if a mod could move these last few posts to a separate thread, because I think it's a conversation worth having...but how about that AOKP port?! Sounds like a great idea, yes?! ;)

D3 droidian1441 ICS 4.0.4

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Idk if uve been living under a rock but the port is out haha hash mustve thought it was a cool idea too

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

I thought he just had it booting, and was testing it!! If he released it, I'll definitely check it out. Must have missed his tweet while I was test driving droidian's ROM today.

droidian1441

Sep 17, 2011
Christiansburg
These are all really good points. We can piss and moan all we want, but manufacturers will keep pumping out devices, and we'll probably keep consuming them like Skittles. In my opinion, the WORST move ever made was the OG Galaxy Tab... I bought it a month after it came out, thinking it was going to be epic; it's a great device, and there's some decent dev work going on for it, but Samsung shipped that thing, intending for it to be DOA (dead on arrival). Even though it's a proven powerhouse of a device (I see Quadrant scores around and just over 3000 on the CM9 build), Samsung threw it into the market as a "feeler", to gauge the public response to Android tablet devices, with little/no intention of ever updating the thing. Turns out, I bought a $600 as-is device, under the assumption that it would be supported, and the next thing you know, there's a new line of SGT devices. That was the most epic manufacturer fail of all time I think.

Honestly, I could care less about the variety of devices out there, but they need to be supported, and they need to not be redundant... the Bionic and D3 are essentially the same device, just +/- the keyboard, the Razr, Razr Maxx, and D4 all look the same (haven't checked specs though), and don't even get me started on the poor people who bought the Atrix. The Xoom has been repackaged to include a "family" edition (whatever the hell that means), the Xyboard is out, and the Xoom 2 is on the way... variety is great, but how many of those devices are seeing regular OTAs (say one every 4 months), and how many will still be relevant by June? If carriers and manufacturers just updated these devices (and I mean OS updates, not maintenance patches), like they're supposed to (for a duration of 18 months, post release), then I wouldn't really have a problem...but they don't.

If Jellybean (awful name btw) IS going to drop, I would almost bet money on a summer release, on a Verizon quad core tablet, and then a series of excuses as to why the OS isn't ready for phones yet. Honeycomb proved one thing to Google and device makers...that we are rabid about getting what we want (see all the HC ports as evidence), and the same is starting to happen with ICS. I think they're seriously threatened by the great, progressive developers our community has (because YOU extend our device shelf life!), and are responding by amping up production across the board.

In any event, I've raved like a mad man for long enough... I would love it if a mod could move these last few posts to a separate thread, because I think it's a conversation worth having...but how about that AOKP port?! Sounds like a great idea, yes?! ;)

Damn, the Galaxy Tab story was the most epic fail by a manufacturer I've seen in a while. The owners of the Atrix were probably planning a mob at the Motorola Mobility HQ lol!

But the way Motorola updates devices is just sad and very very disappointing. Google or any other manufacturer doesn't even use the Google Update Alliance (the 18-month rule for updates). It was long and forgotten about during its first couple weeks of life.

But take it into the fact of how Motorola updates the phones with maintenance releases. It didn't take that long for Moto to release a bugfix for the D3, which actually just arose more problems; but with the way Motorola failed to update the DROID Bionic to its 5.5.893 update was very disappointing.

They took 3 months to fix an update up, and it didn't even help the Bionic owners half the time! They have to rebuild another update for it to actually correct and/or fix what needed to be fixed. Their timing for the updates, OS or maintenance, is just awful and it doesn't seem to help the devices' performance half the time.

Motorola really needs to learn to update devices and actually improve its performance. They need to learn they have customers and that once ya make a promise you provide information and expected timings for updates, etc...
Go on Motorola's Facebook page and count how many posts AND comments you see that involves unlocking the bootloaders on these devices. Try to not find at least 20, I dare you. :cool:

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Motorola really needs to learn to update devices and actually improve its performance. They need to learn they have customers and that once ya make a promise you provide information and expected timings for updates, etc...
Go on Motorola's Facebook page and count how many posts AND comments you see that involves unlocking the bootloaders on these devices. Try to not find at least 20, I dare you. :cool:

That's the crux isn't it? If they pushed VZW (or any carrier) to allow the unlocked bootloader, I wouldn't give a sh!t if they never updated the device. My phones and tablets come out of the box, and get rooted immediately, and honestly, I trust the devs here to deliver more frequent, and higher quality updates, versus the donkeys working at Moto. It's sad that all/most of you guys who develop here, don't get paid, yet are more forward-thinking than the people at Moto, HTC, or Samsung. I'm firmly convinced that I'm going to ride out my contract with my D3, but my next device will be a Nexus of some kind... It kinda sucks, because I'll miss my keyboard, but whatever. Lol.

droidian1441

Sep 17, 2011
Christiansburg
That's the crux isn't it? If they pushed VZW (or any carrier) to allow the unlocked bootloader, I wouldn't give a sh!t if they never updated the device. My phones and tablets come out of the box, and get rooted immediately, and honestly, I trust the devs here to deliver more frequent, and higher quality updates, versus the donkeys working at Moto. It's sad that all/most of you guys who develop here, don't get paid, yet are more forward-thinking than the people at Moto, HTC, or Samsung. I'm firmly convinced that I'm going to ride out my contract with my D3, but my next device will be a Nexus of some kind... It kinda sucks, because I'll miss my keyboard, but whatever. Lol.

I would want the phone to be updated even with the unlocked bootloader.
But thats just me. :D

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
^^I'm guardedly optomistic about this. The takeover could be great IF Google insist on policy change at Moto, but I feel the purchase was made, strictly in an attempt to aquire Motorola's 120+ patents/licenses, so Google could better protect the global interests/development of the Android platform. :/

D3 AOKP

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA

I can't agree more. Quite frankly, what mobile device is going to be able to utilize 4 cores in a quad core phone? It's just absurd. I wouldn't mind being with my D3 for 2 years (although I would like 4G since it's all over my area), if I had access to my bootloader to flash the phone completely. The fact that we NEED a rom to get even the necessary battery life is crazy because of how Moto and VZW bog us down with crap. All of the tweaks devs here do can't be foreign to the Moto devs, why aren't they incorporated. Android is WORLDS more powerful than any of the stock roms, but they're not built to be powerful.

What all this boils down to...I'm bidding Moto adieu as I head over to a Samsung device. Whether it's a S3 (suspected to be quad core) or a GNex, it will have plenty of power for a mobile device. At a point, quadrant scores become irrelevant to me because you're comparing really fast to blazing fast and it's just not noticeable. If I have a 1.5Ghz overclocked dual core phone in my pocket and a 2.1 Ghz dual core laptop, I'm pretty damn satisfied.

Top Liked Posts