ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Re: [APP][ICS+] ContactsNotification v1.10

Donated $5. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Magissia

May 9, 2012

You may want to ask to Widgetstoid creator how he managed to do the work on his application

Regards

Reactions: dapaua

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
You may want to ask to Widgetstoid creator how he managed to do the work on his application

Regards

Thank you, I'll do that.

EDIT:
I'll tried Widgetsoid and it also shows a black space in the notification bar when the icon is set to hidden, at least in my phone :(
And the icons that show a window, like GPS or battery don't work when the screen is locked, so it seems that it has the same problems as I do.

Last edited:

Magissia

May 9, 2012

Thank you, I'll do that.

EDIT:
I'll tried Widgetsoid and it also shows a black space in the notification bar when the icon is set to hidden, at least in my phone :(
And the icons that show a window, like GPS or battery don't work when the screen is locked, so it seems that it has the same problems as I do.

Hello, I miss understood the problem. You need to force the notification to be at the end of the list. This is the only workaround I know. This way, the user won't notice the space because the notification will be the last one. Battery widget reborn app let you pick if you want it to be first listed with an icon, whatever with an icon, or last without icon. If the notification is the last one (bottom for phone gui and top for tablet gui) as said, user won't notice the space because there's nothing behind. (or other notification in the same situation without icon, not visible!)

Regards

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Hello, I miss understood the problem. You need to force the notification to be at the end of the list. This is the only workaround I know. This way, the user won't notice the space because the notification will be the last one. Battery widget reborn app let you pick if you want it to be first listed with an icon, whatever with an icon, or last without icon. If the notification is the last one (bottom for phone gui and top for tablet gui) as said, user won't notice the space because there's nothing behind. (or other notification in the same situation without icon, not visible!)

Regards

This is what I already do: I set the icon to be the last one (I set notification.when to a very high value in the code). The problem is that (if I understand correctly what is happening) ongoging notifications appear always at the left part, So, if I disable the make notification ongoing option, it works correctly. But if I set it as ongoing, it appears as a blank spot at the left. I'm starting to think that I cannot make an ongoing notification with an icon that looks as it weren't there.

Thank you.

Reactions: Magissia

Michael B.N.

Apr 25, 2011
Silkeborg
Is it possible to make a feature so ContactsNotification always stays at the top of my notifications? I have a Samsung Galaxy S II with CyanogenMod 10.1, and the function 'set as ongoing' doesn't seem to work. When I receive a message or other apps present a notification, ContactsNotification moves down the list.

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Is it possible to make a feature so ContactsNotification always stays at the top of my notifications? I have a Samsung Galaxy S II with CyanogenMod 10.1, and the function 'set as ongoing' doesn't seem to work. When I receive a message or other apps present a notification, ContactsNotification moves down the list.

Yes, this can be done but I would need to ask for accessibility permissions. This would notify me when any notification is send, then I would destroy and recreate the notification, so it would be the first one. The problem is that if another program is doing that, each one would be triggering the other indefinitely, until the battery is totally drained. What I could do is to only update the notification if more than 2 minutes have passed since the last time? That wouldn't ensure it to be on top, but at least it would be one of the first notifications. I know that widgetsoid does this intercept-and-repost-notification thing... I could, of course, ignore widgetsoid and let it be first :) But for other programs I would need some feedback. I'll try to implement it and post it here. I don't know how long it would take me, I hope to have it by today, but no promises.

Reactions: Magissia

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Version 1.11

It took me less than I thought :). In this version, the notification stays always on top of the list if you go to "Settings"->"Accessibility"->"Contacts notification" and then enable it. (I mean the Settings program in android).
After that, when any new notification is posted, Contacts notification will repost its notification. It will ignore widgetsoid notifications and any notification without text.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
It took me less than I thought :). In this version, the notification stays always on top of the list if you go to "Settings"->"Accessibility"->"Contacts notification" and then enable it. (I mean the Settings program in android).
After that, when any new notification is posted, Contacts notification will repost its notification. It will ignore widgetsoid notifications and any notification without text.

What this does is keeps blinking the status bar, contacts still in "old" place, whether updated or disabled.
Works as it used to if accessability option not enabled.

I think this needs be either-or. No service, no entry. Also, repeated reposting is not so desirable as we see.

(What I would eventually like to see is a side-swiped version, avoiding all these problems and be more quickly accessible as well.)

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
What this does is keeps blinking the status bar, contacts still in "old" place, whether updated or disabled.
Works as it used to if accessability option not enabled.

I think this needs be either-or. No service, no entry. Also, repeated reposting is not so desirable as we see.

(What I would eventually like to see is a side-swiped version, avoiding all these problems and be more quickly accessible as well.)

About the side-swiped version, I was thinking the same today :). But this would take a while, even if it is not that difficult, it is a lot of work.

If you don't enable the accessibility option, it is exactly the same as the previous version, it doesn't use extra memory or anything, so if it doesn't work now, please just disable it until I figure out what happens, because it is totally optional. Do you use any other program that adds a notification? If you do ,can you tell me the name? Because if it keeps appearing, it may mean that both programs are fighting for the top space. I set it to ignore widgetsoid, but there must be lots of other programs that do the same thing. I could post tomorrow a special version that tells which program caused the repost of the notification. Would you install it and send me the results, if I do?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
About the side-swiped version, I was thinking the same today :). But this would take a while, even if it is not that difficult, it is a lot of work.

If you don't enable the accessibility option, it is exactly the same as the previous version, it doesn't use extra memory or anything, so if it doesn't work now, please just disable it until I figure out what happens, because it is totally optional. Do you use any other program that adds a notification? If you do ,can you tell me the name? Because if it keeps appearing, it may mean that both programs are fighting for the top space. I set it to ignore widgetsoid, but there must be lots of other programs that do the same thing. I could post tomorrow a special version that tells which program caused the repost of the notification. Would you install it and send me the results, if I do?

Thank you.

I can certainly run the test for you, then return to a stable version.

There is no other service competing for the top positions. However, battery stuff updates (too) often. DS-batterysaver is there but not an accessability service. Intellering also has a service but is not on the status bar. Notify me also is a service, but not on status bar. K9 email notifications repeatedly update while syncing. So many culprits.

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
I can certainly run the test for you, then return to a stable version.

There is no other service competing for the top positions. However, battery stuff updates (too) often. DS-batterysaver is there but not an accessability service. Intellering also has a service but is not on the status bar. Notify me also is a service, but not on status bar. K9 email notifications repeatedly update while syncing. So many culprits.

Thanks. Tomorrow I'll think what the best solution could be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I present here a new app.
    It allows you to choose up to eight contacts, which will be shown in a notification or a configurable sidebar. Tapping the contacts will allow you to call, message, whatsapp, email or many other things. This allows a faster workflow when you need to call someone when you are doing other things.

Just install the apk, open the Contacts Notification app, choose your contacts and press update.
    The notification will automatically appear after a reboot, so you only need to do this once or to change your favorite contacts.

I promise I am not storing or doing anything with your contacts.

Market link: Contacts notification +sidebar
    Custom themes:Go to your sdcard, folder ContactsNotification/overlays.
    There create a folder, for example, mytheme.
    Into that theme add a border.png, sms.png and phone.png file. They must be 500x500px png files. pohne.png and sms.png must have border if you want it to show. A sample file, called "holo by dapaua.zip" is included.

To show the sidebar (if enabled) , just slide your finger over the trigger area.
    Code:
    TASKER support.

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ACTION_NAME
    Where ACTION_NAME is:
    POST_NOTIFICATION. Posts or refreshes the notification
    HIDE_NOTIFICATION. Hides the notification
    ENABLE_SET_A. Enables contact set A. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards
    ENABLE_SET_B. Enables contact set B. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards

Use of this command line with Tasker:

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_A.
    Add an action of the type Script - Run Shell.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

if you are using the sidebar, type only:
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_B.
    Add an action of the type Script - Run Shell.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

if you are using the sidebar, type only:
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B

Use these two tasks to change the sets on the notification. You can use it with a timer, or position, or whatever. I am not going to explain how tasker works. I implemented this because I was asked to and I found it interesting.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

HISTORY
    Version1.1 has some cosmetic changes in the notification.
    -----
    Version1.2a:
    -Up to 6 contacts can now be added. Small screens may show really small icons for last contacts.
    -Default action can be chosen from Menu, Dial or SMS. SMS not working yet, sorry. Icon overlays are planned so you know what the icons do.
    -Slightly nicer settings screen.
    -Option to disable notification icon, toast (the small notice telling you to wait), and start at boot.
    -Can now be disabled without uninstalling.
    This version won't be uploaded to the market. I'll upload it when I enable SMS and overlay icons.
    -----
    Version1.2b
    -Fixed JB compatibility. Now notification drawer should fold by itself.
    -Added contact icon sizes, so all 6 icons fit in small phones ( I hope)
    -SMS option works.
    -Black theme
    -Still ugly
    -Phone/SMS overlays are not done yet, so you need to remember what each icon does. I'll do it next week.
    This version will be uploaded to the Play Store.
    ------
    Version 1.3
    -Nicer looking icons.
    -Added Phone/SMS overlays to icons.
    -Now you can automatically populate your contacts form the recent calls log.
    -Still ugly app(Notification is much nicer, I think.)
    -Contacts without picture show name
    ------
    Version 1.3b
    Fixes a bug in auto-populated contacts that appeared when a caller not in your contact list was in the list.
    -------
    Version 1.4
    -Overlays are now optional.Please,send me new overlays to include in the program, check here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38780390&postcount=50
    -------
    Version 1.4b
    -New ICS overlays by Virus_672 (Thanks!!)
    -------
    Version 1.5
    -Now auto-populated contacts should work. The notification will automatically refresh 20 seconds after the call end.
    -No more vibration!
    -Some optimizations, should be a bit faster...
    -------
    Version 1.5b
    -Bugs Fixed.
    -------
    Version 1.5c
    -More Bugs Fixed. Sorry about the frequent updates. No more for today, I promise.
    -------
    Version 1.6
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung "menu" option
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung Galaxy 3 lag
    -Fixed (I hope) the "can't change icon size" bug.
    -New "Thin White" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    -------
    Version 1.7
    -Now you can choose your custom theme. After first run, the folder ContactsNotification/overlays will be created. There you can create any number of folders with the following files:border.png, phone.png, and sms.png. They must be 500x500px png files. After that, choose "custom" on "Overlay theme". A new option will appear listing all themes on the ContactsNotification/overlays folder. A sample theme can be downloaded, it is the file "holo by dapaua.zip". You shouldn't add weird characters to folder name, please use only letters,numbers,- and _ .
    --------
    Version 1.8
    -Notification is shown as "Ongoing" for phones supporting the feature.
    -Bugfixes.
    -New "Thin White,Big Icons" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    ---------
    Version 1.10
    -Notification shown as ongoing is now optional, it interfered with "hide icon".
    -Possibility to donate to the developer from the app (Thanks :) )
    -Spacing between the contacts can now be configured. Larger values may show a black notification for medium resolution phones. I am still investigating it.
    ----------
    Version 1.11
    -Accesibility service added. When enabled, allows Contacts notification to be the top-most notification. This one will be added to the play store tomorrow, after I get some feedback.
    -----------
    Version 1.12SidebarALPHA.
    -Testing version for sidebar. Please read first post for instructions.
    -----------
    Version1.12SidebarBETA
    -Now sidebar works with any number of contacts or in auto mode.
    -New option:Sidebar or Notification.
    -New option: Force notification clear. If disabled, notification bar doesn't go black when a new notification is post, but it may fail to refresh on samsung phones. I recomend enabling it on samsung stock.
    ------------
    Version1.12bSidebar
    -Bug fixes in auto contact mode.
    ------------
    Version1.12cSidebar
    -Fixed bug that showed the wrong action icons in sidebar, thanks Michael B.N.!
    -----------
    Version 1.13
    -Sidebar trigger position and size configurable.
    -New option:"Do not dial directly, show dialer instead" to avoid unintended dialing.
    -Trigger can be set to "visible" now,
    -Settings slightly reordered.
    ----------
    Version 1.14
    -Sidebar size configurable.
    -New icon.
    ----------
    Version 1.15
    -Up to 8 contacts now.
    -Fixed:settings button doesn't resize with sidebar
    -2 new sizes for sidebar: X-large and XX-Large.
    -Bug fixes.
    ----------
    Version 1.16
    -Vertical position of the sidebar trigger can now be fined tuned (I want to thank Ahmad Asraf Hashim for the suggestion)
    -Transparency of Sidebar can be configured.
    --------
    Version 1.17
    -Three different backgrounds for the sidebar to choose from.
    -Two different contact sets, to enable, for example, a work set and a family set (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -Preeliminary tasker/scripting support to enable set choosing. (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -------
    Version 2.00
    -Cleared the settings UI a bit.
    -Added sidebar transition.
    -Bug fixes.
    i would love to use this app. i'm on jb and the app is working only partially
    pls help!:)

What is exactly the problem? I need a more info to help :) :)
    is there any way to make the photos look bigger? I have icon size large

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Your phone has really high resolution!! I'll add an update with an Extra-large size :) I'll code it now, it'll be on the play store in a few hours :) Thanks for reporting it!

EDIT: Here it is the new version, if you can't wait!

That was fast! Give me 10 minutes.

EDIT: It is uploaded. I'll wait a bit more to upload it to the Play Store, maybe I get some more overlays :)

I think that i will add the option to set a folder in the SD card to add your own overlays, but this won't be today.

Thank you, Virus_672, they are really nice. The icons are small, but not so much that they can't be recognized.
    New version 1.6.

Changelog:
    ---------------------
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung "menu" option
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung Galaxy 3 lag
    -Fixed (I hope) the "can't change icon size" bug.
    -New "Thin White" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    New (alpha) version

I'm done for today, so I uploaded what I could add. I hope tomorrow I will be able to finish it.