Siyah kernel 3.1RC6 and BRICKED GALAXY S2

Search This thread

sinancetinkaya

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Did you know Siyah actually means Black? So your phones are! :rolleyes:
Yes siyah means black in Turkish, so ?
Bad things happen everytime during development progress, Gokhan cannot test all the code line by line in every aspect. A code worked well on his device might not work on your device.
The thing shocked me more than the bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!
If you don't want get your SGS2 bricked, don't even root it. Even a bad written root required program can brick your device, it doesn't have to be a kernel.
I hate Samsung at software side (I agree Samsung makes awesome hardwares).
There have to be a fail safe option, at least the bootloader must not be accessible by OS but something like ODIN (Just like HTC's S-OFF)

Last edited:

sauron96t6

Apr 24, 2012
There have to be a fail safe option, at least the bootloader must not be accessible by OS but something like ODIN (Just like HTC's S-OFF)

Sound good! Would take a security option (eg. boot from the S2 external Sd). IMHO this section shall not be accessible bootloader .... cannot risk the brick, if happens we must put hands in our pocket and pull out some money!! :eek:

Tiyaj

Mar 21, 2012
RR

That's bad.. I have tried most of the Siyah kernels on Resurrection Remix ROMs.. No issues so far.. I am now using CM 9 kernel comes with Resurrection Remix 1.7. Try it. One of the Best.. :)

pika456

Nov 21, 2011
if you semi fix the boot (boot loop)
have you tried to full restore from cwm backup? or flash different kernel?

usually it fixes my boot loops, from other causes however

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
The thing shocked me more than siyah kernel's bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!

I want to make something clear again: it was not siyahkernel's bug, but it was samsung update5 source's bug. since I rebased my sources on update5 sources with v3.1rc6 some people had this problem.
that bug was in siyahkernel's v3.1rc6 and that kernel is already removed and I have uploaded another rc6 which is based on update4 sources.

I feel bad and I am sorry. However, I am not sorry because of a bug that I made but I am sorry because phones are bricked because of that problem. I am almost 100% sure that the problem which bricked phones is caused by Samsung's mistake or otherwise I would completely stop releasing new kernels.

you may choose not to use siyahkernel again and choose one of the available several high-school kiddie's work which are usually just a blind mix of other kernels but that will not make your device any safer because most kernels have very similar patches/code.

there was only one way that I could avoid that problem in rc6 and that would be to say in several threads that "wow, update5 base rocks, but I have no time to rebase my sources on it" and wait for somebody else do it before me.. then I would wait and see if there were any problems.... if I did that the result would be different but there would again be some bricks.. it wouldn't be you or siyahkernel users but it would be some other kernel's users...
If you blame me more than Samsung in this matter I won't (and can't) stop you but I don't think it is fair.

ephraim

Oct 6, 2010
Cebu City
Asus ZenFone 4 Max
I want to make something clear again: it was not siyahkernel's bug, but it was samsung update5 source's bug. since I rebased my sources on update5 sources with v3.1rc6 some people had this problem.
that bug was in siyahkernel's v3.1rc6 and that kernel is already removed and I have uploaded another rc6 which is based on update4 sources.

I feel bad and I am sorry. However, I am not sorry because of a bug that I made but I am sorry because phones are bricked because of that problem. I am almost 100% sure that the problem which bricked phones is caused by Samsung's mistake or otherwise I would completely stop releasing new kernels.

you may choose not to use siyahkernel again and choose one of the available several high-school kiddie's work which are usually just a blind mix of other kernels but that will not make your device any safer because most kernels have very similar patches/code.

there was only one way that I could avoid that problem in rc6 and that would be to say in several threads that "wow, update5 base rocks, but I have no time to rebase my sources on it" and wait for somebody else do it before me.. then I would wait and see if there were any problems.... if I did that the result would be different but there would again be some bricks.. it wouldn't be you or siyahkernel users but it would be some other kernel's users...
If you blame me more than Samsung in this matter I won't (and can't) stop you but I don't think it is fair.

Well said GM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

g00ndu

Apr 22, 2008

GM, i don't think we are blaming you at all for the bricks, or at least the majority of the users here. Caveat emptor applies when anyone decides to flash other than stock roms. FYI, i don't even use your kernel, has always been on speedmod. it is only recently i started using dorimanx kernel. i know the risks, and i know what's the worst scenario would be, and if it happens, i will not blame anyone but myself.

sinancetinkaya

Feb 10, 2007

Are you talking to me ?
If yes, what the hell are you talking about?
Which part of my message is blaming you?
FYI, I'm on your side!

gokhanmoral

Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
Are you talking to me ?
If yes, what the hell are you talking about?
Which part of my message is blaming you?
FYI, I'm on your side!

no, I was talking to everyone. and "you" words in my post refer to those who had their devices bricked.
I just wanted to clarify something in your post but the rest of the post has nothing related with you or your post.
although there are no sides here I know that you don't blame me.

gokhanmoral

Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
Umm.. what? I'm not trying to be rude but this smugness won't get you anywhere.

neither I am trying to be rude but that part is a fact.
I am not saying that siyahkernel is the best. there are already alternatives which people can find more comfortable.
that part may not seem too much related with what I was trying to say and may seem smugness but it is not. It was an answer to those who had no idea about what was going on and thinking that choosing just another kernel would make them safer.
anyway.. "siyahkernel is not the best" would be enough as an answer to you.

m.ecore

Apr 24, 2012
samsung shape up ????????

Still putting down other dev's work .the fact that your arrogance remains so strong points to dodgy judgement .Samsungs fault !!!!!!!!ONLY SIYAH KERNELS DESTROYED THE PHONES .from now on its only highschool kids who make my kernels speedmod/neak etc.

Reactions: simone201 and ram3n

mahtew

Nov 9, 2011
Still putting down other dev's work .the fact that your arrogance remains so strong points to dodgy judgement .Samsungs fault !!!!!!!!ONLY SIYAH KERNELS DESTROYED THE PHONES .from now on its only highschool kids who make my kernels speedmod/neak etc.

Two weeks ago probably You would say how gokhan is great etc. etc./

YOU DECIDED TO USE HIS KERNEL. IT WAS YOUR DECISSION. FLASHING NON STOCK SOFT CAN DESTROY YOUR PHONE! DIDN'T YOU KNOW THAT?? IF YOU KNOW THAT THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BLAME ANY ONE. IT'S YOUR OWN F... FAULT
Have YOU read the disclaimer on the first page of the thread??

IT WAS SAID MANY MANY TIMES.

My phone is also bricked. I don't know if it can be repaired.. And so what? I decided to chose this kernel. SO IT WAS MY FAULT. Probably, If I would visit more frequently last pages of SIYAH KERNEL THREAD then my phone wouldn't be bricked.

This thread should give us an answer how to repair our phones. NOT HOW TO FLAME!

BrandoHD

Aug 28, 2009
Arima

What arrogance, you guys are unbelievable.

He has clearly stated his case and in case you were not reading the thread, the issue is not with the kernel but with the source code he based the kernel upon, many other devices have been bricked by many other kernels/kernel devs due to this and those kernels only had one thing in common, SOURCES Samsung does need to shape up, they released official sources and some unofficial that does not work with the hardware even for the device they released it for (Galaxy Note, I777 and Korean GS2) and that is close to unacceptable.

But yet you feel you had to create an account on 24th April 2012 to make one post about a topic that you are clearly ignorant about should be enough to show everyone else to regard your "opinion" as vacuous...

This thread are for those that unfortunately bricked their devices, it is not a thread to blame GK especially when blame is, in his words "unfair"

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Two weeks ago probably You would say how gokhan is great etc. etc./

YOU DECIDED TO USE HIS KERNEL. IT WAS YOUR DECISSION. FLASHING NON STOCK SOFT CAN DESTROY YOUR PHONE! DIDN'T YOU KNOW THAT?? IF YOU KNOW THAT THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BLAME ANY ONE. IT'S YOUR OWN F... FAULT
Have YOU read the disclaimer on the first page of the thread??

IT WAS SAID MANY MANY TIMES.

My phone is also bricked. I don't know if it can be repaired.. And so what? I decided to chose this kernel. SO IT WAS MY FAULT. Probably, If I would visit more frequently last pages of SIYAH KERNEL THREAD then my phone wouldn't be bricked.

This thread should give us an answer how to repair our phones. NOT HOW TO FLAME!

It seems that the only option is motherboard replacement, embedded flash memory chip is dead, you may not have to worry about Samsung service center seeing your flashing history

gokhanmoral

Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
two weeks ago i disliked arrogance as much as i do today....!!!!Never heard of a kernel so much or any damage like this guys work.A new motherboard is just 1 of the 3 major parts they had to change.YOU dont know me from adam boy,so how can you say what i was PROBABLY doing to weeks ago.idiot.

I was not thinking about answering your previous post but this one deserves an answer.

idiot? considering your attitude and narrow-minded approach, it seems that your mind is bricked way before than your device. and I am sorry for you that it is not possible to replace your brain. I advise you to find someone to plug you a jtag, in whatever way you like, maybe it will help you relax...

karendar

Aug 9, 2010
Montreal
Umm.. what? I'm not trying to be rude but this smugness won't get you anywhere.

Not really being smug from my point of view, depends on how you wanna take it I guess. Choice of words could have been better, but the message gets across. Copying someone's repo and taking bits and pieces left and right is a "Beginner's attempt" at kernel coding. Which alot of kernels are initially. It's a learning method. Gokhanmoral's product is more mature than some people who begin modding kernels and his point was to say you could have taken any kernel on the thread from a total noob beginner and scrap your phone.

Modded kernels are a risk. This is a simple lesson in humility for everyone who's got a bricked phone, reminding them that it CAN happen and you can only blame yourself for flashing knowing the risks. And it's a lesson in humility for the kernel coders to not always throw everything brand spanking new into the wild without testing things first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    release candidate = not final = beta = not fully tested =still bugs = bricked = bug = because still beta= your own risk = your fault. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    This is one of those unfortunate incidents development efforts revealed such a result, which seems a bug in Samsung official kernel is causing it in one of the latest updates. Any developer, other than Gökhan, could have used the same sources for his kernel and got a similar result.

this is exactly what happened.

I used M250(S/L/K) sources as base. that device has the same specs as our device.

I flash the kernel to my device and then upload. but there is no way that I can test/review Samsung's official kernel sources in every detail. I always avoid changes which can harm our devices but the problem is not caused by a change made by me.

The same problem occurred with other devices which use exynos4 such as galaxy note, i777 and korean variants. we are just lucky that our stock kernel doesn't have that problem or everybody using cfroot would be having the same problem. other devices had the same problem and people were blaming improper packing of cwm recovery because there was no other change in the kernel image (it was not compiled), until we had the same problem by changing only the Samsung base.

In other words, if you download and compile the official ICS sources for korean variant from Samsung's site and pack it with CWM Recovery, you will have the same problem. I doubt it happens only on high I/O load.

although there is no proof of that some of us think that it only occurs if you use old gingerbread bootloader to be able to use jig to reset binary counter.

I feel terribly bad for those who had that problem and I am very sorry for what happened. I wish I had a solution for that.
    I wish there was a way for me to foreseen that problem or test but there wasn't.
    I understand that people who had their devices bricked are angry and think that the problem is caused by me. In a way, they are right, it was my existence which made that problem occur. However, I want to restate that it was not caused by any of my changes and it was not my intention to brick your devices.
    I hope Service Center's will fix the problem.
    The thing shocked me more than siyah kernel's bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!

two weeks ago i disliked arrogance as much as i do today....!!!!Never heard of a kernel so much or any damage like this guys work.A new motherboard is just 1 of the 3 major parts they had to change.YOU dont know me from adam boy,so how can you say what i was PROBABLY doing to weeks ago.idiot.

I was not thinking about answering your previous post but this one deserves an answer.

idiot? considering your attitude and narrow-minded approach, it seems that your mind is bricked way before than your device. and I am sorry for you that it is not possible to replace your brain. I advise you to find someone to plug you a jtag, in whatever way you like, maybe it will help you relax...
    On 22.4.2012 many people bricked their S2 while performing full wipe having Siyah kernel 3.1RC6.
    What disappointed me is the update on development coming from developer in real hurry these days.
    Developer need to test their development 1000 times before releasing it to users.
    As a rule only we the user are responsible flashed kernel knowing the risk of RCs and BETAs.
    We can't blame developer for this disaster
    This thread is for those who bricked S2 and now are in process to recover their devices.
    As a general habit, posts on bricked devices can be avoided easily by fan boys.
    So now we need to help each other in the process of device recovery.
    Please discuss here, what you are doing, any fix whether you found or not.

Thanks
    Kachrukamble