Google Cardboard G3

Search This thread

Osseon

Jun 28, 2014
Has anyone tried Google Cardboard for the G3's 1440p Display? I'd imagine its an entirely unique experience for this device's high resolution.

wyase9

Nov 23, 2011
Ive loaded it, haven't yet made my "cardboard viewer". Will report back...

Have recently bought a plastic viewer, which is pretty much like cardboard, but more sturdy (I guess).
The experience is wonderful. There is a video viewer software on google play, where it takes normal video and splits it for each eye (as the eyes are split, so you cannot view it through normal player). It looks amazing with the right content, like being in a massive cinema all by yourself !!

Have not tried it with other phones to compare, but with the G3, it looks amazing.

scoppola

Oct 7, 2007
I got the Dodocase one. Problem is, the screen is too large for the lenses, so you don't see the whole screen. I haven't found anything all that interesting to do with it. Played with it for a few minutes, and probably won't touch it again for a long time. The 3D Google Earth thing would be cool if the quality wasn't so bad (stutters a lot, takes a long time to render, and looks generally bad).

heymecalvy

Nov 30, 2012
I kinda agree with scoppola here. I got the Dodocase VR kit as well (really well made, BTW, great quality cardboard, feels nice and sturdy). With the Nexus 5, the screen is the right size for the lenses to focus well. But trying it with the OnePlus One, the 5.5" display seemed to be a bit out of focus, unfortunately. Not sure what the best way to remedy this might be, just scooting the screen back a little bit might help. But it seemed difficult to view the whole image properly from that focal length

death__machine

May 6, 2012
Dubai
Dodocase is coming out with a bigger size which should fit g3.

There's also Unofficial Cardboard who have one for bigger phones. I've ordered mine today.

I fell for google cardboard. And made it my self. A bit time consuming to cut every thing but it was free untill I bought the lenses. Amazone.de for a bit more then 10 €. I havnt tried to many apps.
One cool flight sim. (Refugio flight)
Its a great idea. It needs litle more coding I guess.

I printed the blueprint up scaled to 105%. The g3 fits perfect.

Ps. Plz type down the titleof the best 3d apps. Ds.

Last edited:

Astrikol

Jan 19, 2013
Plovdiv
Hey guys, I hope I'm not too late on the Cardboard thread, so here is my experience - It's amazing! I made one myself with lenses from old binoculars, so I had to adjust the setup(the phone is about 4-5cm away from where it should be on the blueprint), but finally I got it to focus. My only problem is that sometimes the camera "jumps". When you are on a roller coaster ride it suddenly turns the view to the back and you have to turn all the way around to look at the front again or just jumps the front point of view as you rotate your head. It's not happening on all apps, but it is annoying. I tried the phone without case and it seems to be better, but still persists. Has anyone had such problems? I'm wondering if it is because of my custom rom or the water damage my phone suffered (I had water below the lcd screen and it was replaced by warranty, but nothing else). So is there a way to check if my gyroscope is ok and the problem is from the app, the case or the rom? Thank you!

P.S. Here is my list of installed app - try them out, they are amazing and all are available on Google Play:
1. VRSE - Sundance
2. Lanterns for Google
3. Snow Mountain
4. Cosmic Roller Coaster
5. VR Free Flight
6. Vanguard VR
7. Hoverboard Dive
8. VR Roller Coaster
9. Crazy Swing VR
10. Jurassic Dino VR
11. VR Cave Flythrough
12. VR Volcano Flythrough
13. ZenVR
14. Cartoon Village VR
15. Mad Race VR
16. Orbulus
17. Roller Coaster VR
18. Titans of Space for Cardboard
19. Cmoar Roller Coaster
20. Cardboard Craft
21. Dive Deep
22. VR Airplane Flight
23. VR Fores Animals

That's all I left on my phone and I've tried maybe around 10-15 more. I didn't left those that require a bluetooth controller, since I still have to hold the phone to my face :D

Reactions: illwafer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I hope I'm not too late on the Cardboard thread, so here is my experience - It's amazing! I made one myself with lenses from old binoculars, so I had to adjust the setup(the phone is about 4-5cm away from where it should be on the blueprint), but finally I got it to focus. My only problem is that sometimes the camera "jumps". When you are on a roller coaster ride it suddenly turns the view to the back and you have to turn all the way around to look at the front again or just jumps the front point of view as you rotate your head. It's not happening on all apps, but it is annoying. I tried the phone without case and it seems to be better, but still persists. Has anyone had such problems? I'm wondering if it is because of my custom rom or the water damage my phone suffered (I had water below the lcd screen and it was replaced by warranty, but nothing else). So is there a way to check if my gyroscope is ok and the problem is from the app, the case or the rom? Thank you!

P.S. Here is my list of installed app - try them out, they are amazing and all are available on Google Play:
    1. VRSE - Sundance
    2. Lanterns for Google
    3. Snow Mountain
    4. Cosmic Roller Coaster
    5. VR Free Flight
    6. Vanguard VR
    7. Hoverboard Dive
    8. VR Roller Coaster
    9. Crazy Swing VR
    10. Jurassic Dino VR
    11. VR Cave Flythrough
    12. VR Volcano Flythrough
    13. ZenVR
    14. Cartoon Village VR
    15. Mad Race VR
    16. Orbulus
    17. Roller Coaster VR
    18. Titans of Space for Cardboard
    19. Cmoar Roller Coaster
    20. Cardboard Craft
    21. Dive Deep
    22. VR Airplane Flight
    23. VR Fores Animals

That's all I left on my phone and I've tried maybe around 10-15 more. I didn't left those that require a bluetooth controller, since I still have to hold the phone to my face :D