[Q] Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 using Mac OS.

Search This thread

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Hello Xda-Developers, im new in the Android world, since i've been an iPhone user since the original iPhone all the way to the iPhone 4 (then things got pretty boring with). I used to Jailbreak my iPhone to have a more flexible experience with it... about 8~9 months ago i bought my first Android, an HTC One (M7) and it worked like a charm and never wanted to look back to iPhone, UNTIL one day i made an OTA update to 4.4.2, i've been having troubles with the signal, it shows full bars, i have 3G signal, but it shows "No Service" and i can't make/receive calls/SMS, i've been searching for 2 weeks or so, on how to fix it and i even sent it to warranty, and had my Sim replaced... twice. The problem persists, reading further i found that many users have been having this issues (and others) since the Kit Kat Update... So i decided to go beyond the world of a normal user... i want to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 (by the way i'm a Mac user), before making this thread i've been looking other threads and forums to help me on how to do it This is my first post on XDA Developers. Trust me, i've been looking for answers everywhere, the most similar thread i found was this thread.
And at the end the guy went for a new device, so that thread didn't help me out that much.
What i was able to do (hey, at least its a start) is to Unlock the Bootloader via HTCdev.
i think i've read pretty much to know some terms already, also thanks to Lifehacker

So... as i said before, im a Mac user, unfortunately i don't find much answers on how to do stuff with my HTC One and my Mac.
Let's get to the point:
I'd like to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 (the original HTC version, or a 4.4.2 stable custom version, whatever you think is better)
PS. Do i reeeeaaly need to S-Off and/or downgrade my HBoot?

i have:

*** Unlocked ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.56.000
RADIO-4A-25-3263-21
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.19.401.11
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Feb 26 2014, 12:32:09.0

my CID is HTC__405 (Italy)

Please remember i am on Mac OS X, i (guess) i cant use RUUs.
Im so Noob, so if you could give me steps in order or redirect me to other threads on how to do a step, i'd be sooo thankful. I'm sorry if there's already a thread solving my doubt please redirect me there (i swear i've been searching for 2 days).

Last edited:

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Update

Hello Xda-Developers, im new in the Android world, since i've been an iPhone user since the original iPhone all the way to the iPhone 4 (then things got pretty boring with). I used to Jailbreak my iPhone to have a more flexible experience with it... about 8~9 months ago i bought my first Android, an HTC One (M7) and it worked like a charm and never wanted to look back to iPhone, UNTIL one day i made an OTA update to 4.4.2, i've been having troubles with the signal, it shows full bars, i have 3G signal, but it shows "No Service" and i can't make/receive calls/SMS, i've been searching for 2 weeks or so, on how to fix it and i even sent it to warranty, and had my Sim replaced... twice. The problem persists, reading further i found that many users have been having this issues (and others) since the Kit Kat Update... So i decided to go beyond the world of a normal user... i want to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 (by the way i'm a Mac user), before making this thread i've been looking other threads and forums to help me on how to do it This is my first post on XDA Developers. Trust me, i've been looking for answers everywhere, the most similar thread i found was this thread.
And at the end the guy went for a new device, so that thread didn't help me out that much.
What i was able to do (hey, at least its a start) is to Unlock the Bootloader via HTCdev.
i think i've read pretty much to know some terms already, also thanks to Lifehacker

So... as i said before, im a Mac user, unfortunately i don't find much answers on how to do stuff with my HTC One and my Mac.
Let's get to the point:
I'd like to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 (the original HTC version, or a 4.4.2 stable custom version, whatever you think is better)

i have:

*** Unlocked ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.56.000
RADIO-4A-25-3263-21
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.19.401.11
eMMC-boot 2048MB

Im so Noob, so if you could give me steps in order or redirect me to other threads on how to do a step, i'd be sooo thankful. I'm sorry if there's already a thread solving my doubt please redirect me there (i swear i've been searching for 2 days).

UPDATE:
I just rooted it with TWRP and SuperSU
also the bootloader has a ***TAMPERED*** flag (if this is somehow harmful, how can i remove it?)

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Let's get to the point:

i have:

*** Unlocked ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.56.000
RADIO-4A-25-3263-21
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.19.401.11
eMMC-boot 2048MB

Yes, s-off is required to downgrade. Ruu is possible with a mac if you use a ruu.zip instead of a ruu.exe. S-OFF is more difficult to achieve on hboot 1.56, so maybe you'll have to use a custom rom if you can't s-off.

If you already unlocked bootloader and rooted your phone, I assume you can use adb and fastboot from your mac. If not then read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1917237

Then s-off the phone using rumrunner or firewater.

There is also a discussion here about S-OFF and hboot 1.56: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567727

If you can s-off you'll be able to downgrade using a ruu.zip from your mac.

Reactions: hzlx

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Tampered is not harmful, just ugly to see. It's a flag for service to know your phone is not unlocked out of the box. You can just flash a 4.3 ROM, no need to s-off

So, i can flash any 4.3 ROM (regardless of my phones software version [4.19.401.11] and/or my CID)?
After this, will i be able to make OTA Updates?

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
So, i can flash any 4.3 ROM (regardless of my phones software version [4.19.401.11] and/or my CID)?
After this, will i be able to make OTA Updates?
You can flash anything you like. If you flash stock rooted 4.3 ROM you will get OTA but you can't upgrade just like that. You need to relock your bootloader, flash stock recovery and stock kernel. On the other hand, you have great choice of custom kitkat ROMs which work great, so you can flash one of them. ARHD 53 would be my recomendation

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Yes, s-off is required to downgrade. Ruu is possible with a mac if you use a ruu.zip instead of a ruu.exe. S-OFF is more difficult to achieve on hboot 1.56, so maybe you'll have to use a custom rom if you can't s-off.

If you already unlocked bootloader and rooted your phone, I assume you can use adb and fastboot from your mac. If not then read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1917237

There is also a discussion here about S-OFF and hboot 1.56: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567727

Thanks a lot!
So far i managed to Unlock bootloader (with a Tampered Flag), S-OFF with firewater on hboot 1.56 and root it via TWRP and SuperSU.
I cant find a RUU for my CID HTC__405 though i have this stock ROM and it says it can restore to stock radios (which hopefully will solve my problems)... stock radios will be restored now that i have S-Off... right?

and a last question... once i am back in 4.3 will i be able to download further OTA updates (say... when 4.4.3 comes out)? if not, what should i do now?

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Stuck on boot scren htc one logo

I got stuck on the HTC Logo boot screen... i installed a 4.3 ROM via TWRP, im S-Off now and unlocked hboot 1.56 ... why am i stuck? i've been reading i need the correct kernels, but where do i find them and how do i install them?

PLEASE HELP :crying:

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
NEVERMIND

I got stuck on the HTC Logo boot screen... i installed a 4.3 ROM via TWRP, im S-Off now and unlocked hboot 1.56 ... why am i stuck? i've been reading i need the correct kernels, but where do i find them and how do i install them?

PLEASE HELP :crying:

Nevermind i managed to solve it :fingers-crossed:

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Did you check your md5's??? I've had a multitude of my friends phones get stuck on boot screen.. Tell them to check md5 and it works.. One, as others have said, I would suggest flashing a couple Roms. See what you like, if you don't like any of them, then ruu back to stock. Also what twrp are you using? Did the ROM you installed request for a certain recovery to be used? I'm a Mac user so I understand lol. But what ROM??

Sent from my Rezound running PAC-Man with SENSE!! 4.4.2 S-OFF

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
Did you check your md5's??? I've had a multitude of my friends phones get stuck on boot screen.. Tell them to check md5 and it works.. One, as others have said, I would suggest flashing a couple Roms. See what you like, if you don't like any of them, then ruu back to stock. Also what twrp are you using? Did the ROM you installed request for a certain recovery to be used? I'm a Mac user so I understand lol. But what ROM??

i managed to solve it, i re installed this ROM which matches my CID (HTC__405), the ROM didnt ask me for any recovery to be used..... anyway.. so far i haven't had any luck fixing my first issue, which is that whenever i lose signal it wont reconnect, it will say "No Service" but still have 3G/4G working, i cant make/receive calls/SMSs.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
i managed to solve it, i re installed this ROM which matches my CID (HTC__405), the ROM didnt ask me for any recovery to be used..... anyway.. so far i haven't had any luck fixing my first issue, which is that whenever i lose signal it wont reconnect, it will say "No Service" but still have 3G/4G working, i cant make/receive calls/SMSs.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

So, the issue is not resolved with custom ROM? I guess it's a hardware problem then

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
62 382926

So, the issue is not resolved with custom ROM? I guess it's a hardware problem then

Nope, before making this whole thread i sent it to warranty and they supposedly repaired it, i changed sim twice.
im going back further, trying 2.24.401.8 with android 4.2
Let's see if that works, or else i'll start trying custom ROMs... so far i've been using stocks.

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
Nope, before making this whole thread i sent it to warranty and they supposedly repaired it, i changed sim twice.
im going back further, trying 2.24.401.8 with android 4.2
Let's see if that works, or else i'll start trying custom ROMs... so far i've been using stocks.
Well, good luck. I just want to say - if you have the same problem with more than one ROM, no matter if it's stock or modified there is a hardware issue.
Supposedly is what bothers me the most in your case. Maybe your service doesn't care for their customers. It wouldn't be the first

Last edited:

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Ok... i'm just trying with this last ROM... if it doesn't work... what are the steps to go back to full stock (Locked, S-ON, remove TAMPERED, unrooted)? so i can send it back to warranty

Thanks @pball52998 & @donkeykong1

You're s-off correct? Ive seen people not needing to go back s-on for warranty purposes. But pretty much if you want to go back to stock, its just ruu, it does it all for you. Takes you back Locked with factory recovery and full just straight stock.

hzlx

Apr 18, 2014
Torreon
You're s-off correct? Ive seen people not needing to go back s-on for warranty purposes. But pretty much if you want to go back to stock, its just ruu, it does it all for you. Takes you back Locked with factory recovery and full just straight stock.

Ok, so i know where to find some RUUs but i know using a mac i have to use a .zip, right?
my question is... how do i use a RUU.zip? do i install it placing it in the internal storage then use TWRP?

So far i haven't lost signal.
2014-04-19%2001.33.36.png

Thanks again!

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Ok, so i know where to find some RUUs but i know using a mac i have to use a .zip, right?
my question is... how do i use a RUU.zip? do i install it placing it in the internal storage then use TWRP?

Thanks again!

Okay, well a ruu can be placed on the internal memory.....but...... the way that I've always seen it done, or a lot of times is
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
Code:
./fastboot oem rebootRUU
Code:
./fastboot flash RUU.zip

the RUU.zip could be named anything :confused: so you might have to rename the RUU or change the RUU.zip in terminal to what ever the foop you named it, although I wouldn't do the RUU with those instructions just yet.... Can someone else confirm it??

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012

Thanks again!

you might want to reset your phone using a ruu before to make sure your issue is really related to an hardware defect.

This ruu.zip will reset your phone to stock 1.28.401.7 (android 4.1.2) and hboot 1.44.

Then if you see the phone still have the issue, remove the tampered flag and set the bootloader back to ''LOCKED'' using this tool. Then s-on and send for warranty repair/replacement. This procedure must be done before you take any ota that will update your phone to hboot 1.55 or the tampered flag will come back and you'll have to s-off again and redo the entire procedure.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Okay, well a ruu can be placed on the internal memory.....but...... the way that I've always seen it done, or a lot of times is
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
Code:
./fastboot oem rebootRUU
Code:
./fastboot flash RUU.zip

the RUU.zip could be named anything :confused: so you might have to rename the RUU or change the RUU.zip in terminal to what ever the foop you named it, although I wouldn't do the RUU with those instructions just yet.... Can someone else confirm it??

Make sure the ruu.zip is in the same folder where adb and fastboot are.

Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
or manually reboot the phone in bootloader using power + vol down
Code:
./fastboot oem rebootRUU
make sure ''RUU'' are capital letters
Code:
./fastboot flash name_of_ruu.zip
First time it will output a failed message, do the same command again:
Code:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's get to the point:

i have:

*** Unlocked ***
    M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
    HBOOT-1.56.000
    RADIO-4A-25-3263-21
    OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
    OS-4.19.401.11
    eMMC-boot 2048MB

True ^^ I agree with @donkeykong1 If you've had two SIMs and all that......its a hardware issue that is malfunctioning....
    True ^^ I agree with @donkeykong1 If you've had two SIMs and all that......its a hardware issue that is malfunctioning....

Ok... i'm just trying with this last ROM... if it doesn't work... what are the steps to go back to full stock (Locked, S-ON, remove TAMPERED, unrooted)? so i can send it back to warranty

Thanks again!

you might want to reset your phone using a ruu before to make sure your issue is really related to an hardware defect.

This ruu.zip will reset your phone to stock 1.28.401.7 (android 4.1.2) and hboot 1.44.

Then if you see the phone still have the issue, remove the tampered flag and set the bootloader back to ''LOCKED'' using this tool. Then s-on and send for warranty repair/replacement. This procedure must be done before you take any ota that will update your phone to hboot 1.55 or the tampered flag will come back and you'll have to s-off again and redo the entire procedure.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Code:
    ./adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    ./fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Code:
    ./fastboot flash RUU.zip

Make sure the ruu.zip is in the same folder where adb and fastboot are.

Code:
    ./adb reboot bootloader
    or manually reboot the phone in bootloader using power + vol down
    Code:
    ./fastboot oem rebootRUU
    make sure ''RUU'' are capital letters
    Code:
    First time it will output a failed message, do the same command again:
    Code: