GPS Signal Broken -- Fix Found

Search This thread

Max)

Nov 30, 2010
I'm on cyanogenmod and every time my gps does not work because I flashed a new nightly I go in localisation settings and I just need to switch localisation off and on again and then untick and tick wifi and gps location check boxes.

Works every time

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

futty

Nov 23, 2008
I'm on darth stalker v8 and get no gps. I flashed a radio and getting my locationffor the weather widget worked just fine no other apps like Google maps or the gps test apps can get my location

Max)

Nov 30, 2010
I'm on darth stalker v8 and get no gps. I flashed a radio and getting my locationffor the weather widget worked just fine no other apps like Google maps or the gps test apps can get my location

Have you tried what I just said over you?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

papi5120

Jan 11, 2011
central islip, NY
Ive tried ur steps and im still having issues.

In maps I get an inaccuracy of 1700 meter and if I uncheck wifi and network determining my location it loses me all together. Gps test shows no satalights

tthaz777

Mar 12, 2012
You just need to do the following steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile GS3
1. Install TriangleAway here
2. Open TriangleAway, reset flashing counter (you must have root access)
3. Download original firmware for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999UVALEM) here. Thanks to SamMobile
4. Boot your phone into Download Mode (Volume down + power + home) and flash the firmware above via ODIN
5. If you have bootloop after flashing, remove battery, boot your phone into Recovery Mode, wipe data (factory reset) + wipe cache
6. When your phone finishes rebooting, you will see the GPS has been fixed and worked perfectly.
7. Upgrading to the latest JB 4.1.1 by flashing the rooted firmware by DocHoliday77 here. GPS still works.

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
Ive tried ur steps and im still having issues.

In maps I get an inaccuracy of 1700 meter and if I uncheck wifi and network determining my location it loses me all together. Gps test shows no satalights

Im having the same problem. I haven't tried what op said yet because i don't have access to a laptop to reroot my phone after i do his steps. Mine was working perfectly a week ago, don't know what happened

Sent from Flip's S3

seattlestexan

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle
So I had the same issue. I was running Root66 4.1.1, and gps went out at random. I did triangle away and went all the way back to 4.0.4 stock everything, no gps, ota'd back to stock 4.1.1, no help, even tightened the screws with no luck.
Any other suggestions, or just call T-Mobile?
Or just wait for an S4? Lol

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
So I had the same issue. I was running Root66 4.1.1, and gps went out at random. I did triangle away and went all the way back to 4.0.4 stock everything, no gps, ota'd back to stock 4.1.1, no help, even tightened the screws with no luck.
Any other suggestions, or just call T-Mobile?
Or just wait for an S4? Lol

See if the link in my signature helps.

seattlestexan

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle
See if the link in my signature helps.

YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!! That's flipping awesome! Thank you!:D

On this fix, if I root and go back to Root66, which is pretty much rooted with stock TouchWiz interface, can I go back into the dialer menu to do this again (hopefully not necessary), or will I need to ODIN back to complete stock?

Also, and probably a dumb question, can the T999 get a GPS fix better than 3 meters? It's not horrible, but it can be a bit of a pain in Downtown Seattle. Too many one way streets. LOL!

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

Long time lurker, just wanted to share an issue I had.

I've flashed nearly every ROM that is out there since I got my SGS3 and have never had any GPS issues, however this weekend I used it without a problem but Tuesday all of a sudden turning it on and off still produced nothing...not even the increased battery drain from having GPS on.

Here's what I did in hopes that it can help someone or at least give some knowledge as there wasn't a lot out there when I searched:

1.) Restored a previous Nandroid that I knew had a working GPS --- Result = FAIL
    2.) Searched XDA and Google...found a video with some USSD codes for the dialer, etc.. ---- Result = FAIL
    3.) Pulled battery and sim card, etc... --- Result = FAIL
    4.) Flashed Wicked as I know that is a stable and highly used ROM. Everything great but still no GPS. ---- Result = FAIL
    5.) Found a suggestion about clearing cache in google framework, Maps and uninstalling Maps updates. Result = FAIL
    **however Play Store wouldn't let me update Maps when I rebooted as it said it wasn't compatible with my phone. No clue why.

6.) Finally I decided to do Triangle Away and Chainfires unrooting procedure to get back to unrooted stock. ---Result = SUCCESS!

Not sure what about it made GPS come back, however the next step will of course be to root again and see if there are any issues.

Hope this helps someone who ends up in my situation. Feel free to PM if you need more details.

Thanks to all

Edit: Just as an FYI -- when I rooted again, GPS was still back and I've had no issues since.
    Good to know but youcould have got straight to the point rather than writting five pages of useless stuff then saying something that to be honest is not any special invention anyways.

Kind of a **** huh? He was just explaining what he did. Geeze.

Sent from my SGS3 Stock Rooted & Odexed
    I love this thing!
    Overall, if you have something borked, no matter what rom you use... no matter how many times you wipe... odin back to stock, should fix it always.
    The only time my gps was ever messed up was when i used a sprint leak JB rom and had the gps turned off. Flashed a couple roms after no gps whatsoever. Odin'ed with 2 or 3 different versions and still couldnt get the gps back.

Finally I flashed another JB rom based on the sprint leak and turned GPS back on and everything started working again. Lesson learned on using sprint leaks lol.
    Unroot Procedure Used

thanks for the info jpk17!
    saved us a lot of time here for whoever has that issue in the future.

can you provide the link to Chainfire's unroot procedure?

thanks!

Here is the procedure I followed to unroot...followed step by step and couldn't have been easier to follow:

I can't post links as I don't have over 10 posts yet, but should be able to figure it out from this:

www . androidrootz . com

Copy the next line after the .com and you'll get to the page.

/2012/10/how-to-unroot-samsung-galaxy-s3-at.html