[APP][2.1+] Share Where - Location Sharing

Search This thread

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
Share Where is an easy-to-use app that allows you to quickly share your current location with anyone and everyone.

It also includes a home screen widget that allows you to send a predefined message together with your location to multiple recipients via email/SMS or any of your apps with just the click of a widget.
The location is presented as a link to Google maps.

From article at talkandroid.com/reviews/apps/featured-android-app-review-share-where-location-sharing-travel-local/
"These widgets are not only efficient, but they are perfect for kids and emergency situations. Kids can quickly update where they are and if they are in an emergency situation, a quick tap of their finger on the widget will let loved ones know exactly where they are."

I started working on it in Februari 2012. It was originally created for my friend, whose 10-year old son suffers from severe epilepsy and a light form of cerebral palsy, so he needed a quick and simple way to share his location in case he didn't feel well. In situations like that you don't have the time to start figuring out exacly where you are and then put that in a message that you send to the ones who need to know. So I solved this by letting him press once on a widget, and it would send a pre-written message together with his location to his parents' email addresses and cell phones. My friend really liked the app so I developed it to meet more general needs aswell.
I figured that there are lots of other situation where this can be used, and the feeling of helping just one person out of a critical situation with my app would be fantastic.

Download from Google Play: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.bjuremo.hereiam.lite

4DrxCd6HCJpNDc29l4mXOzeLN17kGWjp4p5MZOifxYKWIqOW5IF6s37z4C1dn4a74Js=h480-rw
2bYl9_ePDcvfBQLfqmMAFBrG0LOjJ-ArdCzHDsTWjSk0-13o9Nc_6_PjCFagpR4hFwk=h480-rw
CDXnAKmfXVAwuaswkMx91VPZekyYiWXLRZ_ONH50prXCmqjij74nf0C8iiN46OON60M=h480-rw
IgTE_ZFDkhtZP3eyLqaupEr4f2fB89UoTnrN1yqK8WlL3CDbXNuEuVijyIumlimrJyHY=h480-rw
YDRYXin4lY9k20y2I7Ry84b0Re40s2EDAcFif3KR6dIG3IOkV2Lb4_OPqQsUvPO5It4=h480-rw
4xsFdjtYm7URF9E3JQvKdSmg2VDMhhf5CSP75eDP7CWNnurXci3Y46H0RmB4wRj6G5Nu=h480-rw

Download from Google Play: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.bjuremo.hereiam.lite

Attachments

• ShareWhere_Lite_NOGP_3.4.3_pg.apk
    1.9 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
I added a new feature called "Send By Request", where you can allow people to request your current location via SMS.
When the SMS is received you will get the option to accept or dismiss the request. Those added to your list of trusted persons will get an automatic reply without any interaction from you.

You also have the option to specify your own private phrase that can be used to get an automated reply regardless of which device the message is sent from. This could be used if you have lost your phone and need to borrow a friend's phone to locate yours.
Send By Request is setup in the SMS section of the app settings.

bfBcI8VsAmwuMyv3rL36nZ6zDz9YdPUzxHbLriGyLr1YiJGpEN5ZiAO0aeCT_VdTXH8=h512-rw
lkTFWVQfbNzfAMqcnBZ8ime0oLOMh_iC1KqPzQsyMvMTsuIIUcHutqJRdQU25cTspO0=h512-rw

Reactions: nagendraps

CoolRaoul

Aug 14, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
I've a problem with the link inside the message

If the recipient phone language is not set to english (just tested using french), google maps opens with message: "no results for n.nnnn, p.pppp" (GPS coordinates) then shows the *recipient* location.

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
I've a problem with the link inside the message

If the recipient phone language is not set to english (just tested using french), google maps opens with message: "no results for n.nnnn, p.pppp" (GPS coordinates) then shows the *recipient* location.

I have noticed this and commented about it in the app description on Google Play:
*** There is a bug in some versions of Google Maps for Android that formats the input coordinates incorrectly. This is depending on your device's language setting. It works for English, but fails for some languages. If the Google Maps app isn't able to open the link, open it with your web browser. ***

I have also written a report to Google Maps and mentioned it to Android Developers on Google+:
plus.google.com/u/0/114138300757943857988/posts/L2q82tRTMtJ

CoolRaoul

Aug 14, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
I have noticed this and commented about it in the app description on Google Play:
*** There is a bug in some versions of Google Maps for Android that formats the input coordinates incorrectly. This is depending on your device's language setting. It works for English, but fails for some languages. If the Google Maps app isn't able to open the link, open it with your web browser. ***

Unfortunately, since the problem depends of language settings of the *target* device not of the *source* device, the target user is generally unable to have knowledge of the fix.

I have also written a report to Google Maps and mentioned it to Android Developers on Google+:
plus.google.com/u/0/114138300757943857988/posts/L2q82tRTMtJ

Hope it will help to have it fixed. Thanks.

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
Unfortunately, since the problem depends of language settings of the *target* device not of the *source* device, the target user is generally unable to have knowledge of the fix.

A user sent me a "hack" about how to prevent Google Maps from wrongly converting the coordinates.
The fix will hopefully be published this weekend together with some other updates.

Reactions: Simba501

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
A user sent me a "hack" about how to prevent Google Maps from wrongly converting the coordinates.
The fix will hopefully be published this weekend together with some other updates.

The Google Maps link fix is available in the version attached to the first message of this thread.
It will also be available on Google Play soon.

xoLax

Dec 25, 2009
Karlstad
I am planning to translate the app from English to Korean, Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian and maybe some more languages (I can do the Swedish translation myself).
If someone wants to help me, please send a mail to hereiamwidget@gmail.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Share Where is an easy-to-use app that allows you to quickly share your current location with anyone and everyone.

It also includes a home screen widget that allows you to send a predefined message together with your location to multiple recipients via email/SMS or any of your apps with just the click of a widget.
    The location is presented as a link to Google maps.

From article at talkandroid.com/reviews/apps/featured-android-app-review-share-where-location-sharing-travel-local/
    "These widgets are not only efficient, but they are perfect for kids and emergency situations. Kids can quickly update where they are and if they are in an emergency situation, a quick tap of their finger on the widget will let loved ones know exactly where they are."

I started working on it in Februari 2012. It was originally created for my friend, whose 10-year old son suffers from severe epilepsy and a light form of cerebral palsy, so he needed a quick and simple way to share his location in case he didn't feel well. In situations like that you don't have the time to start figuring out exacly where you are and then put that in a message that you send to the ones who need to know. So I solved this by letting him press once on a widget, and it would send a pre-written message together with his location to his parents' email addresses and cell phones. My friend really liked the app so I developed it to meet more general needs aswell.
    I figured that there are lots of other situation where this can be used, and the feeling of helping just one person out of a critical situation with my app would be fantastic.

4DrxCd6HCJpNDc29l4mXOzeLN17kGWjp4p5MZOifxYKWIqOW5IF6s37z4C1dn4a74Js=h480-rw
    2bYl9_ePDcvfBQLfqmMAFBrG0LOjJ-ArdCzHDsTWjSk0-13o9Nc_6_PjCFagpR4hFwk=h480-rw
    CDXnAKmfXVAwuaswkMx91VPZekyYiWXLRZ_ONH50prXCmqjij74nf0C8iiN46OON60M=h480-rw
    IgTE_ZFDkhtZP3eyLqaupEr4f2fB89UoTnrN1yqK8WlL3CDbXNuEuVijyIumlimrJyHY=h480-rw
    YDRYXin4lY9k20y2I7Ry84b0Re40s2EDAcFif3KR6dIG3IOkV2Lb4_OPqQsUvPO5It4=h480-rw
    4xsFdjtYm7URF9E3JQvKdSmg2VDMhhf5CSP75eDP7CWNnurXci3Y46H0RmB4wRj6G5Nu=h480-rw

I added a new feature called "Send By Request", where you can allow people to request your current location via SMS.
    When the SMS is received you will get the option to accept or dismiss the request. Those added to your list of trusted persons will get an automatic reply without any interaction from you.

You also have the option to specify your own private phrase that can be used to get an automated reply regardless of which device the message is sent from. This could be used if you have lost your phone and need to borrow a friend's phone to locate yours.
    Send By Request is setup in the SMS section of the app settings.

bfBcI8VsAmwuMyv3rL36nZ6zDz9YdPUzxHbLriGyLr1YiJGpEN5ZiAO0aeCT_VdTXH8=h512-rw
    lkTFWVQfbNzfAMqcnBZ8ime0oLOMh_iC1KqPzQsyMvMTsuIIUcHutqJRdQU25cTspO0=h512-rw

The Google Maps link fix is available in the version attached to the first message of this thread.
    It will also be available on Google Play soon.
    I am planning to translate the app from English to Korean, Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian and maybe some more languages (I can do the Swedish translation myself).
    If someone wants to help me, please send a mail to hereiamwidget@gmail.com