[Release] HTC Sense Transparent LockScreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
Very old mod. Probably no longer works. Use at own risk. No longer supported by me.
ROOT REQUIRED

ONLY works on ROMS that include HtcLockScreen.odex.
So it wont work if you've flashed lwp patches, Sprint ROMS or anything that removes the .odex file.
-------

Originally created by JsChiSurf over in the Hero forums via my encouragement :) This version is made for the Eris, it is not the same as the Hero version (which doesn't work properly for us).

This is a modification of the STOCK HTC Sense lockscreen that removes the background so you can see your homescreen behind it.

*Users need to already be comfortable with using 'adb' I won't be providing support on that since there are numerous threads with instructions all around.*

**Before** pushing the apk into that folder, you'll need to FIRST perform the following steps to remove the stock lock wallpapers from loading, as well as any cached custom wallpaper you have applied. You can perform these via adb as listed, or if you have Root Explorer (on the marketplace), you can navigate to the folders listed and delete the items that way.

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
cd /data/misc/lockscreen
rm *

cd /system/customize/resource
rm htc_wallpaper*

exit
Note: You may or may not have anything to delete in /system/customize/resource, so if you get an error message while using adb, don't worry.

HtcLockScreen.zip MD5: 9423D8C3D6CBBF3E084CD185130F9649
*APK NOTE: APKs are case sensitive, be sure you install this without renaming it, or it wont overwrite your original APK*

After you extract the zip to your sdk/tools directory perform the following (case sensitive):
Code:
adb push HtcLockScreen.apk /system/app
adb reboot
If you get "read-only" errors, try "adb remount" OR "adb shell", then, "su", then "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" and then the other commands.

EDIT: Clock-less version now available for download! Same instructions apply.

Clock-less Info: **Since some users may have performed the 'experienced users' steps below, an Android image has been added to 'lockscreen_topedge.png' so that it isn't 100% transparent.
If you want to remove this image: First, download the ZIP below with the PNGs, take any one of those and rename it to 'lockscreen_topedge.png, open the lock apk in your favorite zip file manager (winzip, winrar, 7-zip), navigate to "res\drawable-normal-mdpi" and drag your newly-renamed PNG in there. If a dialog pops up, be sure you select the option that has NO compression, this is usually called "Store."**
Make a post if you have any problems NOT related to 'adb.' Again, support is not provided for that.

Clockless Lock.zip MD5: B604B530E02C47DA81AD8B4563BE71D2

If you put the PNGs included in the zip below into 'com.htc.resources.apk\res\drawable-mdpi', it will remove the HTC "Arc" on the lockscreen. Now, to create your own Arc replacement, all you'll need to do is go into 'HtcLockScreen.apk\res\drawable-normal-mdpi' and change the lockscreen_topedge.png to your liking :) A much easier change than fiddling with your resources apk everytime and its only 1 image to change, instead of trying to line up three. Of course, if you remove the Arc and do not change your lockscreen_topedge.png, you will have a completely invisible lockscreen, so don't freak yourself out, just make something for that PNG.

*Does not seem to work with Hero or Legend ROMs*

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 5,626
  • HtcLockScreen.zip
    359.7 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:

jadesdan

Jun 26, 2008
I've used adb push (to change my boot animation) but I can't say I know how to use it.

Can you specify which commands to use?

EDIT: do you have to have root for this?

Last edited:

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
You would do 'adb install HtcLockScreen.apk'.
waahhh no X_X this isn't an app to be installed. you are overwritting the old one (after youve backed up!) the "install" command installs to data/app, which isn't what we want (but thanks for keepin an eye on the thread for me wshuman3 :) )

if you put the apk in your sdk\tools directory, then the command would be
Code:
adb push HtcLockScreen.apk system/app

you were correct about needing root tho ;)

Last edited:

Lemcott

Mar 16, 2010
oh sweet!
one question though, what if your phone is locked? will it still show the homescreen?

Lemcott

Mar 16, 2010
no no no... okay I admit, i worded that question wrong.

if you phone is password protected, as in locked down, with the graphical password and all that. will it still show the homescreen?

ECLIPS3

Jan 29, 2010
Rochester, NY
no no no... okay I admit, i worded that question wrong.

if you phone is password protected, as in locked down, with the graphical password and all that. will it still show the homescreen?

i believe it should still show you the home screen, considering with the normal lock app by htc in order to unlock it with the dot pattern, you have to pull the slider down, then it shows you the pattern. so going off of that, then it should still do the same thing, but instead of showing a pic on the lock screen, it shows the home screen, then you slide it down to unlock, which i would assume that it would then pop up the dot pattern.

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
ECLIPS3's explanation is entirely correct. locking will not hide your homescreen. but then, if someone wanted to see your homescreen with the normal lockscreen, they would just have to slide down the Arc most of the way and they'd see most of it. not secure either way.

but i dont think thats what you were even worried about Lemcott. but explained it anyway :p

Last edited:

Lemcott

Mar 16, 2010
yep, you got it :) I'm not really worried about them seeing the homescreen (oh no! they saw my poor organizational skills! I'm ruined! haha) I just have my phone locked done mainly because my friends and I have a pretty long running epic war to change each other's facebook status'/tweets to very embarrassing things, nosey family members, and just in case i ever forgot it somewhere.

cant wait till i get my new phone in tomorrow and patch this sucker on. speaking of which, if i were to patch this after flashing on Jamezelle's sense-abloe 2.0, would it look just like the normal htc lock screen just transparent? or will it look like sense-able's lock screen but transparent?

ECLIPS3

Jan 29, 2010
Rochester, NY
yep, you got it :) I'm not really worried about them seeing the homescreen (oh no! they saw my poor organizational skills! I'm ruined! haha) I just have my phone locked done mainly because my friends and I have a pretty long running epic war to change each other's facebook status'/tweets to very embarrassing things, nosey family members, and just in case i ever forgot it somewhere.

cant wait till i get my new phone in tomorrow and patch this sucker on. speaking of which, if i were to patch this after flashing on Jamezelle's sense-abloe 2.0, would it look just like the normal htc lock screen just transparent? or will it look like sense-able's lock screen but transparent?

it will look like the normal lock screen, just transparent. but you could edit the transparent lock screen to look like jameselles, just transparent. im sure someone would be willing to do that for you. i might, just dont have time right now.

Lemcott

Mar 16, 2010
I'll give it a whirl, but if anyone wants to race me be my guest, I'm pretty noobish when it comes to android/linux, but I'll give it my best.

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
if i were to patch this after flashing on Jamezelle's sense-abloe 2.0, would it look just like the normal htc lock screen just transparent? or will it look like sense-able's lock screen but transparent?
99.9% sure your senseable lock would be in-tact, just transparent. since your senseable lock's graphics are stored in com.htc.resources.apk and this is only a change to your HtcLockScreen.apk :)

Last edited:

Arcalyth

Mar 21, 2010
arcalyth.net
Running Ivan's 0.8T2, works like a charm. Thanks!

For all of those confused on how to install this, you simply unzip HtcLockscreen.zip on your computer, follow the instructions in the first post, then you:

Code:
adb remount
adb reboot

and when your phone boots back up, you'll be looking at a shiny new transparent lockscreen.

Last edited:

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
Running Ivan's 0.8T2, works like a charm. Thanks!

For all of those confused on how to install this, you simply unzip HtcLockscreen.zip on your computer, follow the instructions in the first post, then you:

NOTE!: the code is case sensitive, make sure you capitalize as follows:
Code:
adb remount
adb reboot

silverramsrt

Dec 12, 2009
NC
When I try this I always get the nexus 1 lock screen. I'm running Ivan's latest build.

I will try again on a fresh flash since I have been messing with stuff.;)

Edit: OK, fresh flash without wiping allowed me to change to the Transparent Lock Screen. Thanks gohamstergo.
btw, I have no idea what I changed to not allow this mod.

Last edited:

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
@silver: not sure but youre not the only one with the issue. no idea what causes it. seems rare tho

TheAtheistReverend

Mar 29, 2010
Minneapolis
Thanks for posting this!
Would anyone consider making a "lockscreen" that is nothing BUT a photo/walpaper?
No clock, no arc, nothing?
Maybe just a "walpaper" or photo?
Or even better- Truly Transparent!
That would be cool!

LexusBrian400

Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for posting this!
Would anyone consider making a "lockscreen" that is nothing BUT a photo/walpaper?
No clock, no arc, nothing?
Maybe just a "walpaper" or photo?
Or even better- Truly Transparent!
That would be cool!

If read the "advanced" directions in the OP, it basically explains how to do this, even though he was trying to tell you how to AVOID doing that. but I agree, I'd like it too. It would almost be like a security feature cuz only you would know where to swipe to unlock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this probably will no longer work with more modern ROMs. sorry. this is a very very old mod. going to request to have this thread closed since its outdated.