[TUTORIAL] Full Steps to Acheive Root + ClockwordMod Recovery with new KA6 2.2

Search This thread

murrayrs5

Dec 7, 2010
spokane
i did all the steps and everything but it still shows up blue and it isnt turning green. i deleted clockwork folder and reboot and still no change. any suggestion or what im doing wrong?

Did you re-install packages twice, must do twice i messed up the first time and it didnt work i tryed again and did it twice and it went green...

Last edited:

sethtyler21

May 11, 2011
Fantastic!! exceptional guide, everything seemed to go smoothly and it booted into clockwork recovery just as described.
got a thanks from me :)

When i do a clockwork backup it seems to complete but at the end it says
can't mount /data/

is that a problem or nothing to worry about?

Last edited:

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
For me it did work perfectly after KB5 update, just go for it......

For me it FAILED on the first try. Rebooted, Tried again - EXACT SAME STEPS - and it said it succeeded. Rebooted, checked for Root, appear to have it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the full clockwork recovery! I used to have it, with ability to flash zip files, control voodoo, backup, etc. Now when I select "reinstall packages" from stock recovery, it just reboots and brings me.. right back to the stock recovery - over and over. It never loads Clockwork Recovery, even though Rom Manager downloaded the update.zip and the phone is fully rooted including the batch file patch for recovery.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2010
Did the kies update but hadn't been able to get clockwork to work. Finally sat down and this was the first tutorial I found. Worked great and was easy to follow. Thanks!!

Kwaii49

Oct 24, 2010
I'm on the kb5 stock update and it didnt work for me either. Crap. Before it was double protection and now its triple.

Edit: I tried it a second time and it worked. This time i kept my data and wifi on, and this time I had rom manager installed.

It went from blue to green. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

G8351427

Dec 20, 2010
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks! I had been having zero success getting CWM to flash; turned out to be insufficient space on the system partition. Once I deleted SlackerRadio I had enough space to install busy box. The reinstall packages step worked from there.

Thanks!

vladdangel

Account currently disabled
Jun 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Okay, I'm trying to root and mod a friends phone (this will be the 9th phone I've done, including odin'ing the moto defy).

I have done 5 galaxy S SGH's and now this vibrant... shouldn't be that differnt right?

Well, I root with super one click.

I go to free the system and move the recovery file in super manager...

Here's the problem:

/System will not mount to RW. I click RW, it pops up "OK" and stays as RO.

Tried re-rooting, tried fresh install of super manager, tried other root file explorers... Nothing.

I am rooted. I get in to ADB shell, su, and I get the #. I suppose I can just use the ADB commands (I'd have to google them) to do what I need to do, but I just want to know why this is?

Of course without moving the custom recovery into /system/bin I can't get CWM to start, so I'm stuck until I can do the ADB commands (Which I don't know off hand) or get an answer.

vladdangel

Account currently disabled
Jun 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site

supasye

Dec 11, 2008
hi,

i think my attempt has failed.. what does this mean?:

Getting temporary root.
> Starting adb server: Success
Checking for temporary root.
Already has root.
Installing modified recovery
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error:
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
rm failed for /system/bin/recovery, No such file or directory
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error:
Unable to chmod /system/bin/recovery: No such file or directory

Finished.

thanks

foxcartman

Aug 18, 2011
Jordan,New York
I bought this phone for 25 bucks,didnt come with neither ex card or the sim card,Im trying to root it and it is NO GO,my cpu doesnt reconize the phone ,I have all adb drivers installed,Is it the sim card i need?This is the first samsung i worked on,I have a rooted htc evo 4g with AKOP ICS on it,White Pandigital novel tab with CM9 ics,back-up is cm6,and a rooted fake flytouch 3 superpad 3,And a few I-pod touches hacked,Im not new to this but......The vibrate says 2.1-update1,It is SGH-T959.....Ive been at this thing for a few weeks now,still can root...Does the sim card have anything to do with stopping the root script on this thing?! I new at samsung,please...be nice...thank yu..

kmull

Aug 10, 2010
Florida
Use this method. Works much better to Root. Use Option A
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9375927&postcount=1

:confused::

I did use this method http://xdaforums.com/show... . I followed method A the Root Only Method)(and have root just fine. But like so many others, Rom Manager will not flash clockworkmod Recovery. My question is, even though I already have root, can I proceed with the B part
B " INSTALL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY AND FLASH A ROM THAT WILL GIVE ROOT ACCESS (MY PREFERRED METHOD):
– use the other update.zip (1.7MB) and this will flash CWR for you – allowing you to immediately flash a custom ROM.. I do this because it's faster. What I mean is....Can I do this method eventhough I already have Root...without wrecking my Samsung Vibrant. I have the original stock eclair and have done nothing to the phone except rooting it via the Root only method. Any ideas?

Toast6977

May 17, 2012
Yes, you can install CWM via the update.zip file even though you already have root. Just place the update.zip file in the root of the internal sd, enter into recovery and click reinstall packages, it will restart in recovery. Click reinstall packages again and you'll be in CWM recovery then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have put together some steps to take your fresh KA6 2.2 Official update and add Root and ClockworkMod Recovery. It may look hard, but should only take a couple minutes.

This is without ODIN or ROMS.

Steps:
    0. Have yourself a T-Mobile Vibrant and PC Running Windows.

1. Use SuperOneClick (latest) to root phone. When you run the application, click the first button on the left and wait for the process to complete. Details will be scrolling in the middle window.(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682)

2. Use a file manager (ROOT EXPLORER) or adb with root access to mount /system/ and remove bloatware (SLACKERRADIO and AMAZONMP3 and such) from /system/app/

2a. TOTAL NOOBS: Get SUPER MANAGER from the market (FREE). Then grant it root by going into SUPER MANAGER and selecting File Manager > [Menu BUTTON] > Setup > Enable ROOT function. Then go up levels, the top button on the file manager which will take you up a directory, until you get to / and scroll to the bottom and select [system]. Then select [app]. Then click [Menu BUTTON] > Switch System to R/W and press R/W. Scroll down and long press the slackerradio.apk to delete. You can do this too amazon market to delete and other useless apps.​

3. YOU NEED STEP 2 TO DO THIS STEP! Install Busybox from Market and run Busybox Installer to ensure its properly working and the latest is installed.

4. Run SuperOneClick again to place phone into shell root ADB (Second button from the left). Allow the process to run and then a pop up will say something about rebooting the phone. DO NOT DO THIS, continue on to the next step.

5. While in shell root from the previous step, run (3e) to (2e) modified recovery script. The instructions are simple. Download, unzip, and run the batch file found inside. This is ran from the COMPUTER NOT YOUR PHONE. Use the menu system to complete and then reboot as recommended. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833423).

5a. NOT NOOBS: you can copy over the recovery yourself to /system/bin as mentioned by some commenters. If you do not know what this is, then ignore it.​

6. Remove any update.zip files from /sdcard/ and also remove any ClockworkMod directories using your favorite file manager or by mounting to a computer with a wire and activating the drive for My Computer. This is the internal one, not external.

7. Use ROM MANAGER from market to install ClockworkMod Recovery and reboot. This is free to download. When you launch, select the top item to install the recovery and then a menu will pop up to choose the phone you have. Happily select Vibrant. Once that's done, select reboot into recover right below that.

8. Re-install packages and it should reboot. You can navigate the menu using VOL UP AND DOWN and power to select.

9. Re-install packages again and it should boot into Clockwork Recovery. It should change form BLUE TO GREEN

ALL DONE.

That should do it for ya! Let me know if it worked out. Please follow all steps and don't cut corners.

Should you need to get back to ClockworkMod Recovery, you can use "adb reboot recovery" and re-install packages, or reboot into recovery with ROM MANAGER.

Edit Rev.a: added a step (6) Made the instructions more precise and added additional steps to clear up some confusion.(1-22-11)

Edit Rev.b: Added step 2a from request. root explorer is not free so use super, that works too. (1-24-11)

Edit Rev.c: Added more detail to the steps and added supplemental info for replacing the recovery with the modified one. (1-27-11)

Edit Rev.d: Super1Click has updated, so latest? works.

Side note: I do step 4 because from my experience, I had trouble getting the modified 3e script to get root. Figured might as well just give it root to begin with.

Side note: Yes I am aware that there are other methods and different ways. This was the noob way for me to convey it to the masses. I still do appreciate all feedback regardless of what it is. Thanks!

jmcghee1973:
    ***For kicks you can do your 2.2 KA6 update the download Supercurio's KA6 voodoo kernel and ODIN it and have Root & CWM all in one shot.
    ***For kicks you can do your 2.2 KA6 update then download Supercurio's KA6 voodoo kernel and ODIN it and have Root & CWM all in one shot. ;)

Not to hijack your thread...
    I've been an XDA visitor since my AT&T Titan WM6 days. I've done alot of flashing and modding since then and have always been able to find solutions without asking until now. This clockwork recovery issue is kicking my butt.

I am having trouble with steps 4 & 5.
    what are the specific buttons to press on superoneclick in step 4?
    How exactly do I use the file 3(e)_recovery_installer?

Thanks for any help.

4. Run SuperOneClick again to place phone into root shell ADB

For this step, run SuperOneClick from before, the same you used to root. The second button says "Shell Root". Click that :) Wait for it to say you have shell root until you reset.

5. Run (3e) to (2e) modified recovery script (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833423)

Just download the attachment in the first post and follow instructions. Its fairly simple process. Keep in mind, this may not work unless your phone is shell root from step 4
    I would highly suggest doing that step. The system is full to begin with. Use Root Explorer and grant access, then mount system into r/w and remove the stupid stuff. You should do this to get Busybox on (AS IN BEFORE YOU INSTALL BUSYBOX)
    Use this method. Works much better to Root. Use Option A
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9375927&postcount=1

Side note: I have never been able to use Superoneclick successfully on any phone. I either use an exploit app, update.zip or install it myself and force push the exploit using ADB.