GPS issues on Rogers note 2

Search This thread

UserNamer

Jul 31, 2010
Interesting... I've had this issue happen only once. Nothing I did would start a GPS search. I waited about 2 hours outdoors in a car. Once I restarted the phone, it had a lock on lots of sattelites within 10 sec.
It's happened to me on two different Note 2s. GPS will be working perfectly and then the icon will disappear; not blink with the "Searching for GPS" message ... it will disappear, as if 1/ there is no GPS hardware in the phone, or 2/ no application is trying to access the GPS API, even though Google Navigation or Waze or GPS status is open and actively trying to receive GPS information.

It happened two different times on the first phone and neither multiple reboots nor switching the dropdown menu toggle fixed it.. The store replaced it and the second Note 2 had flawless GPS for a few days, including on a 6.5 hour drive with Bluetooth connected and running the NPR app. The second day of the trip with the second Note 2, GPS worked fine for a 45 minute drive. The return to the hotel, though, was useless. The icon kept disappearing. Every once-in-awhile it would come back for 2-3 seconds, update our position, then disappear again.

This is a much different frustration than the horrible GPS on the Samsung Captivate (with its interminable "Searching for GPS" message). Fortunately we had another non-Samsung phone in the car and it never lost its GPS signal.

I'm wondering if I just got a second "bad" device from the same store or if it's a software issue.

From a testing perspective, I have experienced the same "disappearing GPS icon and no GPS service whatsoever" using 1/ Google Navigation, 2/ Waze, 3/ GPS Status (from the play store). In two of the cases, there was at least one other device (non-Samsung) in the car which never lost GPS.

Anyone else?