[Q] Regarding Wireless tethering

Search This thread

LowPassFilter

Jan 21, 2011
I'm grandfathered into "unlimited" data and was wondering what the easiest way to obtain wireless tethering will be ... once i get the phone on sunday! Am I correct in assuming that I'll have to root the at&t sgs2 to enable wireless tethering?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
If it's like the Infuse:
Root
Delete tethermanager.apk (it's bigbrotherware that blocks Android native tethering)
Tether away - but be careful, AT&T is REALLY cracking down on tethering.

ngocdao

Sep 16, 2011
Honolulu, HI
AT&T tracks suspicious data usages now and automatically provisions the correct plan when they catch you:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

loursonbrun

Oct 21, 2010
If it's like the Infuse:
Root
Delete tethermanager.apk (it's bigbrotherware that blocks Android native tethering)
Tether away - but be careful, AT&T is REALLY cracking down on tethering.

Hi Entropy512,

thank you for this tidbit; do you have a list of other bigbrotherware that can be deleted from our phones ?

Thank you.

link12245

May 3, 2009
Clearwater, FL
They track it at the network level now. I wouldn't suggest doing it, or you will lose your unlimited plan, and they won't give you the option to go back. I already got a notice myself, and I used maybe 200mb tethering. It technically is against the contract to tether with the unlimited plan, so they're only protecting their rights, but it does suck.

JonGarrett

Mar 9, 2011
Bklyn, NY
noob here but what is the directory where the tethermanager.apk is located AND can I delete it without needing titanium backup. I have a Rooted GS2.

thnx.

19android

Nov 18, 2011
noob here but what is the directory where the tethermanager.apk is located AND can I delete it without needing titanium backup. I have a Rooted GS2.

thnx.

I think you need Titanium Backup to delete/find it....at least it seems easy to locate and then delete it you use TB.

I have the file located but have not deleted it. Just want to confirm this is a vialble option to tether without paying and possibly avoiding AT$T finding out?

BTW....the free version of TB is all you need to find and delete the file along with other bloatwear.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006

thnx.

It is in the same directory where all the apks are located (system/apps ?). You don't have to use the titanium backup if you know the exact file name of the apk.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

I have the file located but have not deleted it. Just want to confirm this is a vialble option to tether without paying and possibly avoiding AT$T finding out?

There is no way to avoid AT&T find out you're tethering regadless how you do it. If you use a lot of data, AT&T will packet sniff you and find out.

switters1

Nov 19, 2010
It is in the same directory where all the apks are located (system/apps ?). You don't have to use the titanium backup if you know the exact file name of the apk.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

There is no way to avoid AT&T find out you're tethering regadless how you do it. If you use a lot of data, AT&T will packet sniff you and find out.

How is this possible?

I frequently browse websites on my phone with the browser agent set as PC (many sites display better b/c their mobile sites suck)
I run a bit torrent client on my phone to download the TV shows I like.
I frequently download large amounts of data from FTP servers.

Is it possible that att can mistake some of these activities for tethering? Eg might they think that only PCs do these things?

When I decide to tether, is there any way to "sanitize" the traffic?

If they accuse me of tethering, is there any recourse? Can I challenge the claim or ask for their proof?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Yes, AT&T can mistake you for tethering. There are already a lot of threads here discussing exactly that. Do a search.

AT&T also starts throttling top 5% data users. So, even if you don't tethering, if you keep doing what you are doing, you will get throttled.

dead3y3

Oct 16, 2014
hmmm

I think you need Titanium Backup to delete/find it....at least it seems easy to locate and then delete it you use TB.

BTW....the free version of TB is all you need to find and delete the file along with other bloatwear.

What if you used pdanet, I bypass downloaded it. Wasn't avaible for my device on play store but went and used opera and found link to download app. Still doesn't let me use hotspot. But what if you deleted that file then used pdanet to block the checks they use

Dead3y3 ^^^^^^

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
About a year ago I was using wifi tether for root on my GS2 and got away with it for months on my 3GB at&t data plan. Some time later, I got a letter in the mail from at&t saying that if I do not stop tethering, they will auto upgrade me to the 5GB data plan which includes tethering.

Needless to say I didn't listen (but did cut back on it) and shoved the letter in a drawer. I started using PDAnet to tether off and on thru the months after getting said letter. I never got anotherone, then again it's also been awhile since I have tethered.

I am not saying PDAnet is tether tracking proof, but I am saying that if used only on occasion you have a good chance of not getting caught.