Search This thread

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks and more questions on How to install a custom recovery

I will try to understand your instructions piece by piece

"make sure you check the md5 to verify it's integrity "
What is md5?

"Place the file in your fastboot folder"
I don't have a PC I have a Mac do I need a PC or can I use a windows partition on my Mac ?

Is the fastboot folder part of special software if so what is it?

"connect your phone in fastboot mode (reboot to bootloader, connect usb cable, "fastboot usb" should now be displayed on the screen)",OK

"open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (shift + right click",
How do I do this on a Mac with a trackpad ?

Thanks for your patience

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I will try to understand your instructions piece by piece

"make sure you check the md5 to verify it's integrity "
What is md5?

"Place the file in your fastboot folder"
I don't have a PC I have a Mac do I need a PC or can I use a windows partition on my Mac ?

Is the fastboot folder part of special software if so what is it?

"connect your phone in fastboot mode (reboot to bootloader, connect usb cable, "fastboot usb" should now be displayed on the screen)",OK

"open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (shift + right click",
How do I do this on a Mac with a trackpad ?

Thanks for your patience

Please use Google to find out what md5 and fastboot are. I don't have time to write descriptions of things that are common, when there are detailed descriptive readily available already.

I have no experience with using fastboot on anything other than a Windows machine because I refuse to use Macs, I can't help you there. There should be guides available on how to install fastboot on a Mac though.

Sent from my Evita

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
ok

Sometimes I get lazy

I will do my research and if I have questions I will ask here

Thanks again

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
A question

You directed me to the Android Development section
I'm not sure if I should ask here or there

I'm not sure which stock ROM I should download

I see Stock Telstra JB 4.2.2 - 5.08.841.6 with root access is that what I need for my HTC One X?

I called HTC and they told me the latest stock ROM is 5.18.502.1

Thanks

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You directed me to the Android Development section
I'm not sure if I should ask here or there

I'm not sure which stock ROM I should download

I see Stock Telstra JB 4.2.2 - 5.08.841.6 with root access is that what I need for my HTC One X?

I called HTC and they told me the latest stock ROM is 5.18.502.1

Thanks

It doesn't matter which one you choose, they're all compatible with our phone, which is the HTC One XL by the way, not the HTC One X. The latest stock ROM from at&t is 5.18.502.1 but you have an unlocked bootloader which means you're not limited to stock firmware, you can install any HTC One XL ROM you like. At the moment I believe all you want to do is SIM unlock the device, so that Telstra ROM will be fine.

Sent from my Evita

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
More Questions

In preparation for my attempt at loading a stock ROM to my HTC One X or XL I just want to get a few questions answered

Do I need to enable usb debugging on the phone?

Do I need to backup my version of Cyanogenmod before I attempt the stock ROM install?

Do I need the latest version of Recovery to do a Nandroid backup?

When I do a backup I check boot,data, and system boxes do I check any other boxes?

How can I backup to an external source using TWRP?

I notice that TWRP has something backed up on the phone already (done by the previous owner) If it's the stock ROM can I just use that to restore my phone to the original ROM?

Thanks for your patience with me

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
In preparation for my attempt at loading a stock ROM to my HTC One X or XL I just want to get a few questions answered

Do I need to enable usb debugging on the phone?

Do you mean in order to flash a ROM? If so, no you don't need it enabled for that. But, you should have it enabled anyway so that you can use adb/fastboot if you need to.

Do I need to backup my version of Cyanogenmod before I attempt the stock ROM install?

Yes, that would be a very good idea. Just in case something goes wrong you'll have a backup you can easily restore. Use the backup menu in TWRP and backup system/data/boot.

Do I need the latest version of Recovery to do a Nandroid backup?

Thanks for your patience with me

I would suggest you install the latest version of TWRP recovery (2.7.1.0), which you'll find here:

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/evita

Sent from my Evita

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
Many Thanks

Great

You suggested it's a good idea to do a backup to an external source (drive) I think that would be a good idea too
Any suggestions on how to do that?

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
Progress

I downloaded fastboot and it works :)

I downloaded the latest recovery:)

I am trying to run md5 from my terminal to check the recovery file

Two questions
Where is the checksum number from the download website you directed me to?

When I drag the downloaded file into terminal in which I have md5 open it does not generate a number so what's wrong?

Thanks for your patience

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
What makes you think the terminal will check the md5? That isn't how it's done, you need a specific md5 checking app to do that.

When you click the file to download it the md5 is displayed then, it's a long sequence of letters and numbers.

Sent from my Evita

aromerblz

Sep 23, 2012
my backyard
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Has any one tried using the SIM unlock method used for the HTC ONE M8. I reading about on it but cant verify.. I think you need the config file a usb otg cable and an external hard drive. Don't think it will damage the phone.

HTCuser3

Jun 30, 2014
Making progress How do I

I wiped everything you said in your instructions
When I tried to wipe the USB-OTG the wipe failed
Do I need to be worried about this ?
Also
After the wipe I tried to turn the phone offf
It said "Your device does not appear to be rooted" and asked me if I wanted to install something I declined
Did I make a mistake ?

I have the Stock ROM downloaded

How do I get the Stock ROM to the SD card
I have fastboot installed

Thanks

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I wiped everything you said in your instructions
When I tried to wipe the USB-OTG the wipe failed
Do I need to be worried about this ?
Also
After the wipe I tried to turn the phone offf
It said "Your device does not appear to be rooted" and asked me if I wanted to install something I declined
Did I make a mistake ?

I have the Stock ROM downloaded

How do I get the Stock ROM to the SD card
I have fastboot installed

When I tried to turn the phone off

Thanks

The OTG wipe will only work if you actually have a HDD or sd card connected with an OTG cable. When you went to turn the phone off it was asking if you wanted to install Superuser, which would root the current OS on your phone. To copy a stock ROM to your phone just enter the mount menu in TWRP, then select "mount usb storage", now your sd card should show up as a removable drive on your PC.

Sent from my Evita

garciajose8

Sep 12, 2007
Orange County, CA
I just bought a HTC One X and got the unlock code but keeps telling me Incorrect Passcode.. Trying to unlock to use with Telcel Mexico.

**** RELOCKED ****
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT-2.14.0000
RADIO-0.24p.32.09.06

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For folks interested in getting their HTC One X Evita sim unlocked so that it works with any GSM carriers I'd like to share my experience since I could not find any relevant info our forums:

First you will need a sim card from a different carrier.

Request your sim unlock code from your carrier or as an alternative you can go to Ebay (this vendor fonecare was great, cheap and super fast, got my code within minutes for less than $5 but there are many others). In both cases you will of course need to provide your IMEI number (*#06#)

Here is the BIG ONE: You need to be on a stock rom! All attempts to sim unlock on a custom rom (cm, aokp, etc..) will result in a message telling you the "sim unlock attempt was unsuccessful". After 5 unsuccessful attempts you will "permanently" lock your phone (Well not so permanently as you can reset the counter by running an RUU, but it's PITA...) If you're indeed on a custom rom (if you're not I don't really know what you're doing on xda?!) read the following:

Make an nandroid backup of your current setup with your recovery of choice.

Push a "stock rom" to your SD card, I used the latest 3.18 since AT&T is my network here but you can also refer to @redpoint73 exhaustive index for a list of all the stock rooted roms available for the Evita here

You may or may not have to flash a radio depending of whether your "stock rom" of choice comes with it or not. If needed go to @taylor.fowler thread on radio here, pick the matching radio and push it to your SD card

Reboot in Recovery

Wipe cache & Dalvik and Factory Reset.

Flash the "stock rom" you moved to your SD card (as well as the radio if needed.)

Wipe cache&dalvik again (don't really know if it's necessary, i think the jury is still out on this matter but it doesn't hurt)

Reboot to your "stock rom" to make sure everything is fine and dandy

Power off

Remove your current network sim card and replace it with another carrier sim card (this will trigger sim unlock prompt once you're rebooted)

Turn your device on

You should be prompted for sim unlock (not to be confused with sim pin which some carriers require before you get to the sim unlock prompt)

Enter your sim unlock code and hit "ok", should be followed by a "sim unlock request successful" et voilà :cool:

Reboot in recovery, again wipe cache&dalvik, factory reset and restore your nandroid backup. Amen
    Hi there.

Hope to be usefull..

I would like to confirm that the unlock code will work on ViperXl Sense based Rom as I just unlocked my phone. Theoretically it should work on any Sense Based rom that was built from one of the original RUU's for the One X (Evita).

PS. Rogers wanted to charge me $50 for the unlock code, got it from eBay for $5.5CAD, I used a vendor "fonecare" recommended by "Crappyvate". Thanks for the recommendation, Easy, Fast and Painless.
    Mmcblk0p11 when running

Strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p11

shows some sim unlock info. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge could look there as well.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium
    That's awesome.. I hadn't had time lately due to work. Buts that's great man. Did you use a powered usb or hard drive like the m8? More details.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Sorry missed the usb drive.. was it plugged in to ac power?

You asked for more details, you got 'em!

I used a Patriot Supersonic XT 32GB USB 3 drive (not that the Y cable was USB 3 ;P), the filesystem is FAT32, and the cable is from DealExtreme (I didn't order it myself, it was given to me, so I don't know which specific product, but it looks like this: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_170927_1.jpg).

I have the TELUS Canada version of the HTC One X.
    My phone is running the 2.18 HBOOT, and my ROM is the September 21, 2014 nightly release of PAC ROM (KitKat 4.4.4-RC-1).

I put the Config.dat file in the root of the drive.

I rebooted the phone into the bootloader, plugged the USB drive into the Y cable, plugged the power cable into a 1 Amp AC adapter, then plugged the microUSB end into the phone.

The first good sign was that the activity light on the USB drive was flashing this time, unlike in previous tries at the bootloader.

I entered the SIMLOCK menu, and this time the phone was actually able to read the file off of the USB drive.
    I don't remember each line that was displayed, but after a few seconds it looked like the process was finished. First it only showed one line indicating that something failed, but it didn't ask me to reboot.
    I waited a little, then my screen went black. After a few more seconds, it seemed to reload directly from the SIMLOCK screen.

It read the file again, showed 4 or 5 lines this time, only the first line said it was successful, the other lines failed, but then it said something to the effect of "process complete, press Vol Up to reboot".

I pressed Vol Up, the phone rebooted. I put a different SIM card (Bell Canada) in the phone, and I didn't get any error messages once Android loaded. The phone appears to have Emergency service. The SIM card I have is already deactivated, so I can't confirm 100% if a different carrier would work (I don't have one to try), but last time I inserted this SIM it gave me an error message about being carrier locked, and the SIM was already deactivated at that point as well. No more error messages now!

I hope this helps! it looks like as long as sieempi's website is still running, we'll be able to unlock a lot of HTC devices, no matter what ROM we use.

-----

EDIT: Sieempi's Universal sim unlock for S-off’ed HTC devices can be found here:

https://www.sieempi.ro/blog/2011/09/22/universal-sim-unlock-for-s-offed-htc-devices-536
    Good, I'll touch base in a while.. I'll see if I can bake a Y cable later and report.

I tried using this, hopefully it helps you:

[GUIDE]How to make otg cable with external power connector