ScreenDim 1.10 beta -- need testers

Search This thread

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I apologize if this violates forum rules.

ScreenDim is my (paid) app for dimming the screen beyond standard OS settings. On OLED devices, it basically does what ScreenFilter does, but I think in a rather more friendly and useful manner, including pre-sets. (On LCD devices, it's much better than ScreenFilter, as it actually dims the backlight, thereby improving contrast and battery life.)

I just finished making a beta of ScreenDim 1.10. The main new feature is Easy Mode which combines the brightness and contrast sliders into one. Currently, Easy Mode only works on Galaxy S2 (including Epic 4G Touch and other versions) and Kindle Fire. You can toggle Easy Mode with Menu | Settings | Easy Mode.

I'd be grateful for any beta test results. To the first ten people who send me useful reports, I'll give give free copies of the paid ScreenDim 1.10 once it's released, as well as free copies of my LunarMap HD and Force2SD apps, if you want them. (Alas, I don't have a gift-code setup arranged, so the free copies won't auto-upgrade.)

Reactions: IA-32e and ohsomomo

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
Buggy at times, when at 0% it doesn't work with volume keys --- only min: 0.0% and Max 0.1% when put down to 0.0% with volume keys...

Same applies when pressing min (highest will go to 0.1% when holding volume up and repeatedly hitting volume up...)

When screen is too low a dialogue should pop up saying if you do not confirm this brightness within 15 seconds, it will go back to your last setting...

There should be an option to disable notification icon (not invisible, just not at all) totally when using and/or not using the application.

A more detailed About/Help menu would be more useful...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
If I've helped, I am interested in free paid versions of your apps... I believe that if you send a check in the mail after the person buys the app as reimbursement would be more easier than consistently updating via email. (Not to overstep you or anything, just a suggestion.)

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
App works as promised. Some screenshots attached.

Suggestions: have way to disable notification icon.

Also when not in easy mode the lowest you can go is 11.8 on both sliders. Not sure if that is design or a bug.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335672753165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335672753165.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 395
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335672781158.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335672781158.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 382

chucky_93

Jun 2, 2010
Nice app! Everything seems to be working, I just don't understand the "Active" action..I'm not sure what the purpose of it is.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
If I've helped, I am interested in free paid versions of your apps... I believe that if you send a check in the mail after the person buys the app as reimbursement would be more easier than consistently updating via email. (Not to overstep you or anything, just a suggestion.)

Great idea. I can send a paypal payment. I had someone do that for me when I tested their app, and I forgot that I could do it myself.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Suggestions: have way to disable notification icon.

Can't be done without sacrificing reliability. Unless you do something root-ish (and I really want this app to be non-root), the only way I know of keeping an app from being killed in low-memory situations is by using Service.startForeground(), but the OS requires a notification icon when you do that.

Also when not in easy mode the lowest you can go is 11.8 on both sliders. Not sure if that is design or a bug.

If you want, you can make the brightness slider go down to 0.4% by using the "Set minimum brightness" menu option. But you will find that below 11.8%, the brightness stops changing, so there is no point to that, and that's why I set the default minimum for the Galaxy S2 series to 11.8%.

You could make contrast go below 11.8%, but the display would probably be dimmer than anybody wants (I am about the pickiest user in terms of darkness, because I am an amateur astronomer, and I don't want the device to destroy night vision), and the display quality would be low. Unfortunately, given how OLED devices work, at low brightness levels there are much fewer colors available.

Technical stuff in case anybody is curious:

The way Easy Mode works is that 30% on the Easy Mode slider is equivalent to 11.8% on the brightness slider and 100% on the contrast slider. When you go above 30% in Easy Mode, you're increasing brightness and keeping contrast at 100%. When you go below 30% in Easy Mode, brightness stays at 11.8%, and contrast goes down, hitting 11.8% when the Easy Mode slider is at 0%.

On LCD devices, the brightness slider controls the backlight and the contrast slider controls the white level (by drawing a gray rectangle over the screen). On OLED devices, both of them have a similar visual effect, namely they both reduce the intensity of the miniature LEDs that make up an OLED display. But at low brightness levels, you have fewer color intensities available on the physical display.

Natedog1

Mar 6, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Works great. I have been waiting for this so I don't have hear the wife complain that my screen is too bright at night and keeping her up.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Loving it! I am trying to purchase the paid version but the Play Store keeps popping an error message on both phones. I guess I will have to buy it later today. Nice job!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

vikramjatt11

Aug 4, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
everything works really well, tested in easy mode... only issue was the " + " button didn't work the first time I pressed it, and the n I pressed " - " and they both started working again. I could not get the issue to happen again, don't know why it happened the first time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-19.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-34.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-29-16-51-40.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 84

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
works as expected. only problem, and perhaps this is intentional, is that if you change the brightness in the android display settings (as oppoposed to the app), then it goes back to the standard android brightness scheme. in other words, the app and android settings dont seem to correlate with eachother? lemee try to give you an example...

i go into android display settings and change it to 100%. then i go into your app and set the brightness to 0%. this dims the screen down tremendously, which is exactly what i like. okay, now if i go back into android display settings (still leaving the app still at 0% with ultra dim display), and lower the android screen brightness setting to say... 95%, the app seems to disable or something and the brightness will jump UP to android's 90%. instead of the display getting further dimmer, it instead shoots back up to almost full brightness when it should be going down. i hope that makes sense.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
works as expected. only problem, and perhaps this is intentional, is that if you change the brightness in the android display settings (as oppoposed to the app), then it goes back to the standard android brightness scheme. in other words, the app and android settings dont seem to correlate with eachother? lemee try to give you an example...

Right, the system settings partly override ScreenDim's brightness setting. I can't lock in the settings without root.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
I found a bunch of bugs when using "Quick activate" and loading presets and changing settings starting from a disabled state. I fixed the ones I found in 1.10c (now up), but there may be others.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I apologize if this violates forum rules.

ScreenDim is my (paid) app for dimming the screen beyond standard OS settings. On OLED devices, it basically does what ScreenFilter does, but I think in a rather more friendly and useful manner, including pre-sets. (On LCD devices, it's much better than ScreenFilter, as it actually dims the backlight, thereby improving contrast and battery life.)

I just finished making a beta of ScreenDim 1.10. The main new feature is Easy Mode which combines the brightness and contrast sliders into one. Currently, Easy Mode only works on Galaxy S2 (including Epic 4G Touch and other versions) and Kindle Fire. You can toggle Easy Mode with Menu | Settings | Easy Mode.

I'd be grateful for any beta test results. To the first ten people who send me useful reports, I'll give give free copies of the paid ScreenDim 1.10 once it's released, as well as free copies of my LunarMap HD and Force2SD apps, if you want them. (Alas, I don't have a gift-code setup arranged, so the free copies won't auto-upgrade.)
    Looks good, except the plus button above the brightness slider doesn't work. I'll play with it tonight and let you know how it goes.

When did you download? I think I fixed that problem around midnight last night and uploaded a version with that fixed. (But I forgot to mark a version number.)
    Truthfully i want to have the full version of the app but I've only seen one hiccup so far (and i love to catch bugs). I'm on ICS and when the dimness is set really low like 25% and you go to the settings menu AND then hit the back button on your phone, the screen go a tad brighter for a split second and then back down

I'll report more as i further test.

Noticed that if you go to the app while active via notification the backlight once again goes brighter for a split second

I've never seen personal data in the log. However, you can first email a log to yourself and have a look at it if you like.

Just wondering, i sent you the email now btw