Nexus 10 vs Nexus 7(or any other tablet/phone) comparison/discussion

Search This thread

Siberian Tiger

Retired Senior Moderator / Tiger's Eye
Dec 4, 2010
Piraeus
As the title says make your discussions/comparisons in this thread.
Don't open new threads for this matter or they will be closed or deleted.
Thank you!!!

Reactions: samwheat

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
We have a similar thread in the Nexus 4 forum and it's one of the more popular threads continually on the first page.. Currently up to 162 pages in length.. Glad to see it done here now as it really does clean up the forum in a good way.. :good:

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
Nexus 10 - alot of problems / alot of units with problems . I didn t expected to be that heavy.

Nexus 7 - bulky, heavy and something its missing for me to like ... i don t know what ...

Ipad mini - very interesting all around . Ugly ios ...

Ipad 4 - very heavy but supreme build quality . Excelent customer care . You see a problem and they change the device instantly . Ugly ios gives me claustrofobia..

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Tommy-Geenexus

Apr 30, 2013
I live on a Stone Hill.
Ok i know your trying to clean up the threads but its goong to get kind of confusing if we all talk about it in one thread especially if you want to compare to just one particular device but atleast everything will be in one spot now.

Anyways is the nexus 7 a lot better then the note 7 because my mom got an 8gb note 7 for 140 dollars as a gift for our cousins we only see in the summer because they live overseas. Also does it have sd card support because she wont let me touch it :p and 8 gb seems like a low amt for a tablet

Sent from my Xperia Play (r800x)

[offtopic] to make it short nexus 7 is better than any galaxy tab [\offtopic]

Nexus 10 has good specs etc.. but is too big and heavy for me, so i decided to buy n7.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7

Jun 4, 2012
I own both so here is my 2 cents...

The N10, for me, is better all around tablet. The screen is far better, it's thinner, faster and smoother than the N7, and the front facing speakers are great. The N10 also has a micro HDMI port for connecting to projector for work presentations. Battery life is great.

The N7 is of course more portable and can be palmed in one hand. the battery life is also good, but not as good as the N10.

Anyway, I basically gave my N7 to my 5 year old daughter.

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Nexus 10 - alot of problems / alot of units with problems . I didn t expected to be that heavy.

Nexus 7 - bulky, heavy and something its missing for me to like ... i don t know what ...

Ipad mini - very interesting all around . Ugly ios ...

Ipad 4 - very heavy but supreme build quality . Excelent customer care . You see a problem and they change the device instantly . Ugly ios gives me claustrofobia..

I have the nexus 7 and nexus 10 and I don't know what problems your speaking of with the nexus 10 but mine works fine. The nexus 7 is a little chunky but it feels good in the hands. Both are nice tablets. The screen on the nexus 10 looks really good. There's times it lags but I think it's bc of the higher resolution

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
Problems like : Subit restarts, 400 ram free , 5 hour charging , screen bleeding , 5 hour screen on battery , incompatibility with many 3g modems, hdmi aspect limitation , gets very hot etc.

You can look at the troubleshooting thread in nexus 10 if you are curious .

Last edited:

CWalkop

May 29, 2012
Problems like : Subit restarts, 400 ram free , 5 hour charging , screen bleeding , 5 hour screen on battery , incompatibility with many 3g modems, hdmi aspect limitation , gets very hot etc.

You can look at the troubleshooting thread in nexus 10 if you are curious .

I still would say that your issues are a physical PROBLEM with your Nexus 10 - I don't see how you could have such a bad experience with it compared to many others without there being hardware issues. The battery life, especially; even the restarts. I've heard of others having restarts, but you seem to be having more issues with it than other people.

As for charging times, 5 hours is normal. The iPad charges no faster, really - the fastest charging tablets are by ASUS, 1.5-2 hours to a full charge. THOSE are good chargers. This is lower amperage, as it is a standard USB cable. The Nexus 10 also has a massive battery.

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
ipad charge faster and last longer .

too bad IOS ruins all

from what ive read 5 hours its with pogo cable , i get 6 with usb charger . I will not give 20$ on a plastic 50cm with 2,3 wires inside .

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

daLareid

Nov 28, 2012
This was a rather dull idea imo, to merge all comparison threads into one, say I wanted to know about a single tablet comparison now I have to go through the whole clutter just find some useful input, thanks a lot.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Ok i know your trying to clean up the threads but its goong to get kind of confusing if we all talk about it in one thread especially if you want to compare to just one particular device but atleast everything will be in one spot now.

Anyways is the nexus 7 a lot better then the note 7 because my mom got an 8gb note 7 for 140 dollars as a gift for our cousins we only see in the summer because they live overseas. Also does it have sd card support because she wont let me touch it :p and 8 gb seems like a low amt for a tablet

This was a rather dull idea imo, to merge all comparison threads into one, say I wanted to know about a single tablet comparison now I have to go through the whole clutter just find some useful input, thanks a lot.

+1 That's what I was thinking too as you can see below now its harder to find info about one specific tablet

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
unfortunately there are few tablets to compare with nexus 10 .

same category
- ipad 4
- new sony tablet
- asus infinity
- microsoft tablets

appx
- nexus 7
- ipad mini
- galaxy note 8

thats all

no use to have 100 topics with the same object like subject ...

Last edited:
Reactions: aheeejd

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
ipad charge faster and last longer .

too bad IOS ruins all

from what ive read 5 hours its with pogo cable , i get 6 with usb charger . I will not give 20$ on a plastic 50cm with 2,3 wires inside .

It is blatantly obvious from your numerous posts that you despise the Nexus 10, but that is no reason for you to make stuff up. My wife's Ipad 4, and all of my friends that have them all report over 5 hour charge times.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
It is blatantly obvious from your numerous posts that you despise the Nexus 10, but that is no reason for you to make stuff up. My wife's Ipad 4, and all of my friends that have them all report over 5 hour charge times.

Yearly friend has an ipad 2 and he said it takes a really long time to charge so he just charges it over night now ( which I don't think is a good idea)

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
my friends report

4.5 appx hour for Ipad charge VS my 6 hour for charging my nexus 10

10 hours average screen on VS 4.5 , 5 hours with my nexus 10 ( i charge it overnight also and i also don t think its a good ideea ... obviosly )

where I stuff up ?
nexus 10 beats ipads at OS, sound and screen format . thats all . build quality and details that make your life with it , are very bad from my point of view in compare.

sorry for saying my oppinions that you dont like ..
Brees , you also love nexus 10 unconditionated and you don t see the problems because its the first device that makes the things look like they should be but i want much more from this experience ... i don t want infantile issues with a device for what ive payed 550 euro in 2013 wtf .
I hope also that google makes the next device better in every way but be carefull to the QC also . It has the power and i m shore it will in the future but now this device has problems .

Nexus 10 its just a " nice try "

Last edited:

samyoue

May 12, 2013
Nexus 10 beats iPad hands down for me, only 3 downsides for me ATM:
1 it's all plastic ky, solved by nice colourful case (unfortunately lack of decent non leather cases mind you)
2 battery charge seems forever... Although I have been using quite heavily while charging which won't help charge times
3 no lovefilm Player ATM for android devices... But that's supposedly going to be fixed soon anyway

So pretty much nexus 10 kicks ass lol

talha746

Nov 23, 2012
probably a better bet is to wait for what google has to say at there I/O event. Many reports saying a new nexus 7 with hd display. I'll probably go for that as they are also reporting the same $200 price point with snapdragon processor.

Walter21026

Nov 15, 2012
San Antonio, texas
In my opinion the asus transformer infinity is a great tablet your shopping around for something powerful

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

Great tablet... but not a N10 as it blows it away, but that's comparing apples to apples, it is a great tablet but OP is asking about the next nexus tablet and the transformer doesn't compare not even compare

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
Had a breeze through the thread and didn't find the answer I'm looking for. Just wondered if there was anyone who had gone from the iPad to Nexus 10 and preferred the Nexus? I'm currently using an iPad 4 as my main tab, but have an itch for the N10 however don't wanna get burnt. Had numerous Android tabs in the past before giving in and getting an IPad, as at the time they were just far superior to anything in the Android sphere. My jailbroken iPad 4 is an absolute joy to use and gives me outstanding battery life, just obviously sucks for video and I am an Android lover at heart. Anyone jumped to the N10 and actually prefer it?

Regards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
omfg

photoshop ? i know i pad has great batt but this its too much ... display with light at minimum ?

besides that the interface looks like a childs book .. its amazing 21 hours ... please , post it on all samsungs tablet screens in a shop ! maybe they will wake up finally ..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I own both so here is my 2 cents...

The N10, for me, is better all around tablet. The screen is far better, it's thinner, faster and smoother than the N7, and the front facing speakers are great. The N10 also has a micro HDMI port for connecting to projector for work presentations. Battery life is great.

The N7 is of course more portable and can be palmed in one hand. the battery life is also good, but not as good as the N10.

Anyway, I basically gave my N7 to my 5 year old daughter.
    It's not shopped. This was my best ever result hence the screenshot. That cycle included a lot of reading on low brightness, but I generally average about 16 hours screen time. I don't game or do anything particularly intensive however. That said, my Xoom would top out at about 8.5 hours with the same usage. Anyway, I know I won't get the same usage with a N10 and I'm happy to charge nightly. I'm more interested in the overall experience of the device after coming from a jailbroken iPad.

Regards.

Seeing as nobody actually answered your question in any kind of literate manner, I'll help you out. So really the ipad vs nexus debate comes down to what you use your tablet for.

Personally, the like of access to the filesystem, ability to download stuff (via samba, SSH, http... whatever), play anything other than mp4/mp3 and being forced to use itunes is what drove me to android from my ipad 3. I get similar battery life on my nexus to what I used to get on my ipad, maybe 10-20% worse but it's fine in general - who actually has more than 6.5 consecutive hours/day (which is roughly what I get with screen brightness @ 75%) to play with their tablet anyway? I wish I did! Also, you can use usb OTG on the N10 which is brill. Google's cloud services beat the **** out of icloud too.

Downsides over the ipad are that the Android "ecosystem" (eugh) is still less mature, particularly where tablets are concerned. It is slowly catching up but ultimately any company will firstly focus on their IOS experience before they even make an Android app, let alone having feature parity between the platforms. This will change as Android tablets become dominant in the marketplace, the same was it already did for phones. Saying that though, a fairly significant chunk of the apps I use on my Android devices aren't even allowed on i-devices: tubemate, flash, andftp and terminal emulator for instance. Also it's not as quite as polished in general as the iOS UI, though it's not too far away in my experience when using the latest stock 4.2.2 release, rooted with AOSP browser installed.

Speakers are a hand-down win for the Nexus. Screen on both are excellent. Screen is a tricky one though... personally I saw my N10's screen for the first time (coming from an ipad) and thought "wow" because of the resolution, but others are disappointed with colours and contrast. I think it's fine personally. Also, I really like the plastic back for a simple reason: I don't need any kind of case! I wish they made a phone with the same materials, my N4 is stupidly fragile by comparison.

Browsing is a funny one. In some ways the ipad is better: Slightly quicker, slightly better compatibility with **** webpages. In other ways its considerably worse: No adobe flash (which, as a frequent pron-watcher, is unforgivable) and no bookmark sync as Safari is a POS on anything other than Apple hardware. Yes, you can use Chrome on iOS to get the bookmark sync but then you loose the speed advantage.
    Anyone thinking of changing their Nexus 10 for the new 7?

My main reason is that it's easier to use and smaller. The 10 in portrait is uncomfortable to use and in landscape surfing the web also.

It will have the same 2GB RAM, less battery, good screen, notification LED, good processor, etc.

I just sold my n10 and got the new n7 today. While the large screen and great resolution was nice, the new N7 has a better screen (IMO) and equal or better performance.

Plus, my n10 never felt 'zippy' or very responsive. I tried every variety of ROM, kernal, O/C, interface (tablet, phablet, phone). My preference is to use a laptop, small (under 8 inch or smaller) tablet, and a phone. Each is great, without trying to be in the adjacent category.
    I currently have a 1st-generation iPad, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10. I also owned the 1st-generation Nexus 7 prior to getting my Nexus 10.

Among all of these devices, I prefer using the Nexus 7 for almost everything. It's very comfortable to hold compared to the N10, and very easy to read on compared to the N4, i.e. it's the best of both worlds. When using the N7, I don't find myself wishing for a bigger screen. I love that the N7 fits in most of my pant pockets. Also, the N7 seems to get the best battery life of the three Nexus devices.

I require two tablets in my household - they are so great as media-consumption devices for our two children while taking car trips. I'm thinking I should sell my iPad and N10, and just buy another new Nexus 7.

Lastly, I should mention that I have never liked the iPad, due mainly to my various gripes about the iOS ecosystem.

- DDB
    Sell your TF300. Do it!

Came from TF101 > TF300 > Nexus 7 > Nexus 10.

Like you I loved my TF300. But it was slow & stuttery for me especially when multitasking. Asus used cheap memory that's why it has poor I/O speeds. It felt just a tad bit faster than the TF101.

Then went for the Nexus 7. I thought this tablet was fast! But it chokes when downloading stuff and browsing at the same time. I figured Asus may have used some cheap memory again on this tablet :(

Then came my Nexus 10. You can multi task properly with minimal lag. (Yes there is still lag when multitasking but it will not make you want to pull your hair out). Choking was gone and my tablet responds smoothly. Very happy with the N10's performance!