[Q] Watch ESPN login issues

Search This thread

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
Ever since the last WatchESPN update 2.0.0.0 which was in NOVEMBER - when I try to watch something on my TFP, I choose my provider and then it dims the screen but never brings up the login page. I emailed their support in NOVEMBER and I got a reply that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. Needless to say nothing has happened. Anyway, it works fine on my GS4, does anyone know the file which stores your provider login credentials that I can copy to my other device or a file that can be modified on the TFP that would make it work? I have root on both devices - I tried copying the data\data\air.watchespn folder from the GS4 to the TFP but no success.

Reactions: mistercabdriver

Lavman72

Feb 23, 2012
Weymouth, MA
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Ever since the last WatchESPN update 2.0.0.0 which was in NOVEMBER - when I try to watch something on my TFP, I choose my provider and then it dims the screen but never brings up the login page. I emailed their support in NOVEMBER and I got a reply that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. Needless to say nothing has happened. Anyway, it works fine on my GS4, does anyone know the file which stores your provider login credentials that I can copy to my other device or a file that can be modified on the TFP that would make it work? I have root on both devices - I tried copying the data\data\air.watchespn folder from the GS4 to the TFP but no success.

I had the exact same issue on my Prime. Emailed ESPN support. They responded. Their solution was to delete the app that I had downloaded from the Google Play store, and install the one from the Amazon App store. Stupid...but it worked. I just checked, and the version that I downloaded from Amazon is v 2.0.0.0

Reactions: casey225

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
I had the exact same issue on my Prime. Emailed ESPN support. They responded. Their solution was to delete the app that I had downloaded from the Google Play store, and install the one from the Amazon App store. Stupid...but it worked. I just checked, and the version that I downloaded from Amazon is v 2.0.0.0

Did you do an update after you downloaded? I just checked Amazon and it is listed as 1.6.6.1 so I downloaded it just to make sure they had it listed correctly. It is, in fact, 1.6.6.1, which does work on my prime. I went into my app updates and there isn't an update for this app on the Amazon appstore.

Lavman72

Feb 23, 2012
Weymouth, MA
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Did you do an update after you downloaded? I just checked Amazon and it is listed as 1.6.6.1 so I downloaded it just to make sure they had it listed correctly. It is, in fact, 1.6.6.1, which does work on my prime. I went into my app updates and there isn't an update for this app on the Amazon appstore.

I'm trying to think back on what I did. I uploaded the app from Amazon...and it worked. Shortly after that I decided to root and install CM 10.2 (4.3.1). When I re-loaded apps from the Play Store, WatchESPN worked.

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
I'm trying to think back on what I did. I uploaded the app from Amazon...and it worked. Shortly after that I decided to root and install CM 10.2 (4.3.1). When I re-loaded apps from the Play Store, WatchESPN worked.

Interesting. When I unlocked and flashed HairyBean about 2 months ago I updated to 2.0.0.0 through Play store and it worked. I made Ti backup of it, but, having battery drain issues with the rom and had to reflash. After that 2.0.0.0 won't work anymore. Just about every other app saves your credentials and still works after an update without having to login again - except this one!

Lavman72

Feb 23, 2012
Weymouth, MA
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Interesting. When I unlocked and flashed HairyBean about 2 months ago I updated to 2.0.0.0 through Play store and it worked. I made Ti backup of it, but, having battery drain issues with the rom and had to reflash. After that 2.0.0.0 won't work anymore. Just about every other app saves your credentials and still works after an update without having to login again - except this one!

Maybe a stupid question...but did you re-install from the Play Store, or did you restore via Titanium Backup? In my case i re-installed from the Play Store. No backups restored via TB. I used it as an opportunity to clear my Prime of all the crap that had built up over the years, and only download the apps that I use.

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
Maybe a stupid question...but did you re-install from the Play Store, or did you restore via Titanium Backup? In my case i re-installed from the Play Store. No backups restored via TB. I used it as an opportunity to clear my Prime of all the crap that had built up over the years, and only download the apps that I use.

I have a copy of the 1.6.6.1 apk that I found online somewhere and installed it directly. I then updated it through the Play store. I opened the app, clicked on a program, selected my provider, the nonfunctional provider login page popped up for a second or two then disappeared and went into the chosen program. Never actually had to type in my user/pass, that's why I'm thinking it is stored somewhere in 1.6.6.1 that could be copied over to 2.0.0.0 or maybe a databases editor would allow you to modify the appropriate file.

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
Found an interesting "fix" that worked for me if there are any users out there with persistent problems.

I installed the app through google play store, espn support told me to use the amazon version which was 1.6.6.1. I uninstalled and went to reinstall from amazon, but, amazon still thought the app was present on my tablet, even after a reboot. I reinstalled from play store and went to amazon to uninstall there, but, wouldn't let me. It would let me open the app from amazon and much to my surprise, when I chose an event and my provider, the provider login page worked and displayed correctly!!! To tempt fate, I uninstalled and reinstalled from google play store - would not display login page correctly if I opened app directly or through play store. Opened with amazon appstore and it worked correctly again.

Had this problem with stock rom and HairyBean 2.3.1 - have since switched to NRG for battery drain issues, but, WatchESPN worked correctly from initial attempt, FWIW.

MTMTE

Oct 2, 2011
Seattle
"Fix" for version 2.2.1

OK, I have a workaround for this that's working...but my post keeps getting flagged! I've contacted 2 admins and have not got a response. I've been trying for 3 days to post the exact steps!

I've posted it to other sites so just google it.

wtf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.