Windows 8 sucks for desktops....

Search This thread

master.peterm

May 17, 2009
lets be honest here.... the metro UI looks nice and all, but without a touch screen its completely out of place.. Keyboard and mouse interfaces have traditionally been vertical, you move through web pages vertically, you scroll through lists vertically, but metro UI is horizontal, scrolling down to turn right isn't quite intuitive....

and yea Ive done the "hack" to bring back the old start menu, but if you do that the metro UI kinda trips out plus thats the whole point of using windows 8 versus windows 7...

... worst thing was I deleted my Ubuntu partition to use it, but in a couple of days I think I'm gonna get the Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 and delete windows 8

venkat_5.uni

Feb 16, 2011
Bangalore, India
I totally agree..because what we expect from a PC is ease of access not the other way around...especially from keyboard and mouse they want us to use tiles
feels kinda stupid..the wrost case is search if I want to access a program is that really necessary for me to know which category it will falls in...its easy sometimes but not in the case of normal users....if MS really doesn't want to face the vista situation...they need to really think about the PC version of Win8....one more thing I want yo point out is that OS is really good for touchscreen capable devices but not for analog device operation....this is my opinion for the current developer built and not for win8 as a whole...

j3.cole

Jun 6, 2010
Moto G7 Power
Moto G Power (2021)
The live tiles and simplicity of it all are very nice, and dual booting Kubuntu was simple, I'm quite sure triple booting (Win7) would be a piece of cake as well. The desk top with the split screen is awesome! And a desktop is a desk top I don 't see the big deal here... Oh, this is a pre beta, I almost forgot. So let's see, New features, choices, smaller footprint, options, OH and Upgrade!?!? Can we try and see the cool part of it?

mikeeam

May 26, 2010
I love everything about it. Smooth, fast, easy to use. Even Metro UI that will be lot better when we have apps for it. And sync! Seriously, Windows 8 is fine.

I didnt have any BSOD until now. Just some freezes in my Mac Mini (but my Dell is perfect), and I can blame Apple for that.

For those who hate Metro UI.. Stop complaining a little. You can use the default desktop as your main, and Metro UI just as a launcher of apps/programs. Whining wont make MS remove it. This is the future. If you think you'd do better, then try to be Microsoft's CEO.

Reactions: cool92guy

br3nd064

Sep 3, 2010
lets be honest here.... the metro UI looks nice and all, but without a touch screen its completely out of place.. Keyboard and mouse interfaces have traditionally been vertical, you move through web pages vertically, you scroll through lists vertically, but metro UI is horizontal, scrolling down to turn right isn't quite intuitive....
I have to agree. I've been through the dev preview and I very much like the layout.. for a tablet. On a desktop however, it just seems wrong.

mariu$

May 31, 2010
yes it does
this is not a revolution, its a start over from the first day of pc's
what a disgrace
how long ago did a dialog box have a simple solid color? along with the buttons?

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio

and yea Ive done the "hack" to bring back the old start menu, but if you do that the metro UI kinda trips out plus thats the whole point of using windows 8 versus windows 7...

... worst thing was I deleted my Ubuntu partition to use it, but in a couple of days I think I'm gonna get the Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 and delete windows 8

Aside from Windows Mobile and Pocket PC, Microsoft has always kind of had horizontal interfaces(Windows Media Center, Live, Xbox 360, etc etc). But just to note, this preview isn't anything final or was made to be ran as a daily OS. The Metro UI is made for tablets, it most likely won't be incorporated in final desktop builds or if it is, it'll be more adjusted to the desktop environment. All this Preview was made to do, was introduce Metro UI and the tools to create apps to work with the Metro UI. Even though it's still heavily based on NT 6.1, so far Windows 8 uses less resources than what Windows 7 did in both beta and final builds thanks to some kernel differences as well as filesystem changes.

Looking at the past as well, the Windows 7 beta used more resources than Windows 7 final. Windows Vista used more resources than both. Windows XP was built in a different manor, so not really counting XP in this. So far, Windows Developer preview is using less resources than Windows 7 7601. If history repeats itself, Windows 8 final will use less resources than the betas, developer preview, and 7. And if rumors of registry being cut out in windows 8 final and apps that need the registry is being taken care of by Hyper-V support, then to me that makes Windows 8 x100 times better than previous Windows systems.

Last edited:

amromun

Nov 23, 2010
Riyadh
as far as I am concerned Windows 8 is just UI update for tablets or other devices that have touch screens and shouldn't be called windows 8 it should be windows 7.1 !

infrared_guy

Mar 30, 2010
Jacksonville FL
Starting to like this

I have used every version of windows since 2.5 on 5.25 floppy disk's. It took alot of getting used to not having the start menu that we have been used to since 1995. But with that said once you start getting the navigation down pat it is alot faster at finding and running programs. Wait i have to be politically correct here APPS LOL. I boot up which is amazing and click the Firefox app and Bam i am on the internet kinda digging it. The only thing that i have an issue with is None of the preinstalled apps work trust me im on a dell xps15 and my screen resolution is good enough. gonna try a reinstall with a fresh wipe to see if that clears it up. other than that i'm happy.

Reactions: lazepr

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
OnePlus Open
Aside from Windows Mobile and Pocket PC, Microsoft has always kind of had horizontal interfaces(Windows Media Center, Live, Xbox 360, etc etc). But just to note, this preview isn't anything final or was made to be ran as a daily OS. The Metro UI is made for tablets, it most likely won't be incorporated in final desktop builds or if it is, it'll be more adjusted to the desktop environment. All this Preview was made to do, was introduce Metro UI and the tools to create apps to work with the Metro UI. Even though it's still heavily based on NT 6.1, so far Windows 8 uses less resources than what Windows 7 did in both beta and final builds thanks to some kernel differences as well as filesystem changes.

Looking at the past as well, the Windows 7 beta used more resources than Windows 7 final. Windows Vista used more resources than both. Windows XP was built in a different manor, so not really counting XP in this. So far, Windows Developer preview is using less resources than Windows 7 7601. If history repeats itself, Windows 8 final will use less resources than the betas, developer preview, and 7. And if rumors of registry being cut out in windows 8 final and apps that need the registry is being taken care of by Hyper-V support, then to me that makes Windows 8 x100 times better than previous Windows systems.

yes they will incorporate it in final pcs...
however I actually have enjoyed metro ui and it actually functions pretty darn well on a desktop pc

There are some things I hope will be changed (mouse simulating touch input for instance which can alleviate a lot of transition issues) but otherwise I have a really good experience of it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm apprehensive to keep replying to this thread, because of the blind hatred that is almost always accompanied with a painful amount of ignorance... and any comment I make is quickly buried by more blather. Yet, here I am again. I guess I just can't muster the strength to resist correcting wrongs on the internet. Oh well, maybe I'll learn with time. :)

I read on one of microsoft's developer blogs that the metro start menu is fullscreen primarily because it allows you to visualize what you have access to. It's also finger friendly, and a whole lot better than 7's start menu that is confined to that little box (XP's was better because it allowed the box to expand across the screen). This makes sense. You should be happy that they are making the start menu more efficient, stop whining.

About tiles; a lot of the people in this thread seem to think that the introduction of tiles equals less user control, or dumbing down the system. Where do you get that idea? Adding a UI layer does not dumb down the whole OS, as it does not change anything about it OS; it is an entirely new UI that doesn't really replace any functionality. If you try to argue that the metro UI as replacing the pinnable area in the 7 start menu, then this is much an improvement: the pins update to give you information without you having to open whatever it launches.

I personally hate widgets; I want to use them because I love the idea of getting information on my desktop, but they cover my wallpaper which I like to have a clear view of. Tiles are perfect; no stupid UI or complex themes, no round edges that don't fit together. Information that's nice and neat, that is a separate UI element from the desktop, so my wallpaper isn't covered. I like it.
    I have previously mentioned that the biggest reason people hate live tiles is because they don't know how to use them, or how to properly embrace the system. These would be the people who shut their ears and shout nonsense at the first sign of change. It's incredibly annoying, would you stop?

The only valid arguments against tiles are the ones that point out the inefficient text size. Yes, it could stand to get customizable text sizes and perhaps a few tweaks to accommodate more text information (though I can appreciate that the reasons for the limits; this is supposed to be a preview of content, not the entirety of the content, and we shouldn't start asking for entire articles or books to scroll through tile previews). I believe that these updates are coming, however, on both desktop and WP8, so have patience; there is no reason to spew hate on a work in progress, this is only counter productive. One of the reasons I got WP7 was so that I could follow the development of a new technology. It's quite exciting to see something grow and mature :)

I know that the 360 has a raging preteen fanboy base, but I really don't want to find out that this also applies to Windows desktop. Go bring your fanboyisms to Mac, or linux if you prefer (though I also like to think the *NIX community is populated by professional bearded developers)

Speaking of the 360, I have not heard any mass complaints over the metro UI overhaul. Contrarily, it seems to be positively received almost universally.
    It's a dev preview. It's not even a beta. Anything can and will change. Don't base your opinions of W8 on this.
    maybe i'm just weird like that, but i kinda like the metro ui on my laptop/desktop setup. even though i don't have a touch-enabled screen, it didn't take me long to get used to using metro and make it work the way i like.
    The live tiles and simplicity of it all are very nice, and dual booting Kubuntu was simple, I'm quite sure triple booting (Win7) would be a piece of cake as well. The desk top with the split screen is awesome! And a desktop is a desk top I don 't see the big deal here... Oh, this is a pre beta, I almost forgot. So let's see, New features, choices, smaller footprint, options, OH and Upgrade!?!? Can we try and see the cool part of it?