• Switch to Tizen

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Wait a couple months and see

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Castellano2

Nov 22, 2008
Can I record video file for 1 min on Tizien? Because if I cannot make longer video than 15s, then it is very bad

Odesláno z mého SM-N9005 pomocí Tapatalk

T-Anthony78

Jan 27, 2014
Gear 1 owners left behind once again

Can I record video file for 1 min on Tizien? Because if I cannot make longer video than 15s, then it is very bad

Odesláno z mého SM-N9005 pomocí Tapatalk

I updated my watch to Tizen 2 nights ago, only to find out there were about 14 apps available for download in the Samsung Apps store via Gear Manager (even though there are many, many more available for Gear 2 or Gear 2 Neo owners).

After confronting Samsung Support about this, I was told that unfortunately even though specs are basically identical and OS is now the same, only a few Gear 2 apps are currently compatible for the Gear 1.

What?

Attached is a snapshot of my conversation with them via chat.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 105

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
Pffff Tizen! All of those that voted to switch to Tizen probably voted out of mere curiosity. Why would anyone switch to a limited platform?? I can make the same things + more with nulls rom.

Reactions: benzoman3

Jaybenosa

Apr 11, 2011
Pffff Tizen! All of those that voted to switch to Tizen probably voted out of mere curiosity. Why would anyone switch to a limited platform?? I can make the same things + more with nulls rom.

Can you have a standalone music player so the gear can play music on null?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kable

Nov 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
I updated to Tizen because it gives me SMS and Hangout notifcations to my Sony Z Ultra without having to deal with quitky third pary apps. The battery life is much better as well.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
Can you have a standalone music player so the gear can play music on null?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This has been done before, but I forget what media player was used, I think google music worked fine. Just try any music player to see how it looks on the gear.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I updated to Tizen because it gives me SMS and Hangout notifcations to my Sony Z Ultra without having to deal with quitky third pary apps. The battery life is much better as well.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Try this app for SMS notifications and text reply using the google keyboard provided with the Null rom. You can also create new SMS to any of your contacts. Works great, it runs on android, and it can be use on any phone. Just install both server and client apps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716142

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Android on the GG1 is now dead. There will be no OS or app updates from Samsung and having known of Samsung's strategy to move the GG1 to Tizen for some time app developers abandoned Android months ago. Tizen for the GG1 has been rolled out to 72 regions in three days. That's the fastest I've ever seen Samsung push-out an update. With the exception of the U.S., it's now fully deployed globally. From this point forward any issues reported to Samsung support will be met with "you need to upgrade to Tizen." So people can stay on Android on the GG1 for as long as they want but the platform itself will die of intentional neglect on Samsung's part. There are only two downsides to Tizen. The loss of swipe up/down from the clock screen to open the camera and a user-selected app and the limited number of apps available. With the GG1 joining the GG2 family on Tizen the latter should/can be corrected as there will be 1M Samsung wearable devices on Tizen now which is a large and attractive audience for developers.

As for "franken-watching" the GG1 on Android like you described, to each their own. To many of us, doing full-size Android "stuff" on a 1.86" display and 800MHz SoC in an uncomfortable position doesn't make a lot of sense. Just because stuff like below can be done doesn't mean it's either effective or practical. Especially when you have a full-size device with a 1080P 5+" display and quad/eight-core SoC nearby. So for those that view their GG1 as a hobby, you're pretty much stuck on Android with what you've currently got being what you'll be living with until the end of time as more XDA devs start to play with and modify Tizen like they did with Android. XDA isn't an Android forum, it's a mobile device forum and going "pffff" at Tizen isn't going to make it go away.

14316294771_498abfedc1_n.jpg

14133099697_369e22a39e_n.jpg

14319649825_c79e361e70_n.jpg

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
That pro depends on your needs.

With android you can do:

Internet tethering
File manager
Google maps
Google now
Tasker
Audio recorder
Full Facebook
Google Voice dictation

Really depends on your expectations.

The more you expect to do, the more of a plus it is.

But if you just want a stock experience then it's less of a plus.

But I really wonder if Tizen will take off with the developers knowing a universal platform, the Google Wear is right around the corner.[/QUOTE

Will Tizen be open source? I read this morning where Samsung also plans on releasing a Tizen based phone in the 3 QT. I hope they do better than Microsoft's effort.

Last edited:

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
That pro depends on your needs.

With android you can do:

Internet tethering
File manager
Google maps
Google now
Tasker
Audio recorder
Full Facebook
Google Voice dictation

Really depends on your expectations.

The more you expect to do, the more of a plus it is.

But if you just want a stock experience then it's less of a plus.

But I really wonder if Tizen will take off with the developers knowing a universal platform, the Google Wear is right around the corner.[/QUOTE

Will Tizen be open source? I read this morning where Samsung also plans on releasing a Tizen based phone in the 3 QT. I hope they do better than Microsoft's effort.

Tizen released their sdk in April, and announced an app challenge. So I'd expect it to be as awesome as android!

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
With android you can.

I get the "can" but what I don't get is the "would." You have a phone right next to you that does everything you mentioned infinitely better. Why would you use a 1.8" display to review or post on Facebook when you a 5+" display available? It's like having a SUV and a coupe in your garage. Why would you use choose the coupe over the SUV to take four people and their luggage on a trip? Personally, I have 1.8", 5.7", and 10.1" mobile devices. Each stand-out as better for specific things. There are things I could do on all three but I'd still pick the most appropriate whenever possible. In the case of the Gear because it relies on a host there's always two choices available and rarely would the Gear running the way you described be the best one. Of the things you mentioned, can you point out any that you'd pick the Gear over your phone for? I'm just curious why you and others that keep talking about using thousands of Android apps on the Gear would actually want/need to. I'm sure running full Android on the Gear is great entertainment at parties but I can barely hit the three app icons on the clock face when I'm walking or running through an airport. And those situations are where I most rely on my Gear.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Try pulling an S4 Zoom out of you pocket in a hurry to answer a call, or for any other reason for that matter. Or in the case of those that are military, pulling out that S5 or Note is a no-no, but looking at your watch is ok.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Try pulling an S4 Zoom out of you pocket in a hurry to answer a call, or for any other reason for that matter. Or in the case of those that are military, pulling out that S5 or Note is a no-no, but looking at your watch is ok.

What does an S4 Zoom have to do with either using the Gear as a full-Android device or using the smartphone it's tethered to instead? Unless you're saying in cases where a Zoom and Gear are paired together using the Gear as an alternative makes sense. But who the hell uses a Zoom as a primary phone any way? Out of all my tech-oriented friends and co-workers I don't even know any one that has or is considering a Zoom. As for the military the "no-no" on smartphones is for security reasons. Circumventing it by using a Gear so no one knows is a great way to cut a military career short. Interesting answers but probably apply to less than 5% of the people here saying they use the Gear as a full-Android device.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
What does an S4 Zoom have to do with either using the Gear as a full-Android device or using the smartphone it's tethered to instead? Unless you're saying in cases where a Zoom and Gear are paired together using the Gear as an alternative makes sense. But who the hell uses a Zoom as a primary phone any way? Out of all my tech-oriented friends and co-workers I don't even know any one that has or is considering a Zoom. As for the military the "no-no" on smartphones is for security reasons. Circumventing it by using a Gear so no one knows is a great way to cut a military career short. Interesting answers but probably apply to less than 5% of the people here saying they use the Gear as a full-Android device.

Lets say you need a phone and a camera and have very limited space. Find one smartphone that at 10x that even matches the Zoom. You won't because there isn't one. Not even the +30MP Pureview come close. Even at 5x there is nothing.

Due to it's size, pulling it out of your pocket is a pain so having a smartwatch that can move as much of you commonly access data to you wrist is needed. The Gear's stock Android firmware takes care of most of this but not all so Null is needed. Unless Tizen grows up really quick, full Android is the only reasonable option.

Digital zoom is for idiots and unless you don't care about quality or want to spend a ton of time in post a phone with optical zoom is needed. This leaves either a real camera, like the Fuji X-Pro1, that you have to carry around all the time or the Zoom.

I am that less than 5% and I use the Zoom as my primary. Until a month ago I was running Ubuntu for Android (A.K.A. Ubuntop not the chroot method) for everything from web surfing to website maintenance and updates as well as Android ROM development and MODs/Patches. I needed either a decent camera and full standalone smartwatch OR what I ended up with which was the Zoom/Gear combo.

Are you military? I know military personnel (stationed at NB San Diego) from E-3 all the way up to OF-4 that use the Gear on a regular basis, on base, during the regular "work day". My wife is the only NCO in her command that doesn't use a Gear. BTW smartphones are authorized just not in secure areas.

Last edited:

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
Android on the GG1 is now dead. There will be no OS or app updates from Samsung and having known of Samsung's strategy to move the GG1 to Tizen for some time app developers abandoned Android months ago. Tizen for the GG1 has been rolled out to 72 regions in three days. That's the fastest I've ever seen Samsung push-out an update. With the exception of the U.S., it's now fully deployed globally. From this point forward any issues reported to Samsung support will be met with "you need to upgrade to Tizen." So people can stay on Android on the GG1 for as long as they want but the platform itself will die of intentional neglect on Samsung's part. There are only two downsides to Tizen. The loss of swipe up/down from the clock screen to open the camera and a user-selected app and the limited number of apps available. With the GG1 joining the GG2 family on Tizen the latter should/can be corrected as there will be 1M Samsung wearable devices on Tizen now which is a large and attractive audience for developers.

As for "franken-watching" the GG1 on Android like you described, to each their own. To many of us, doing full-size Android "stuff" on a 1.86" display and 800MHz SoC in an uncomfortable position doesn't make a lot of sense. Just because stuff like below can be done doesn't mean it's either effective or practical. Especially when you have a full-size device with a 1080P 5+" display and quad/eight-core SoC nearby. So for those that view their GG1 as a hobby, you're pretty much stuck on Android with what you've currently got being what you'll be living with until the end of time as more XDA devs start to play with and modify Tizen like they did with Android. XDA isn't an Android forum, it's a mobile device forum and going "pffff" at Tizen isn't going to make it go away.

14316294771_498abfedc1_n.jpg

14133099697_369e22a39e_n.jpg

14319649825_c79e361e70_n.jpg

Well I'm sorry I insulted you with my expression pal, so much that you had to write this whole post for it.

I dont play any games on my GG, thats silly. Im sticking to android for now as we have a modified stock rom to run different launchers, use live wallpapers, set different wallpapers, receive and sent SMS from the watch by using a fully functional keyboard if I choose to, use bluetooth tethering to use google voice search, use hangouts to chat if needed, all of these while still retaining the full functionality and features that samsung made for the watch.

We will see how much tizen grows in the future. I believe the biggest challenge for tizen will be to overcome what google wear will do with a smart watch. It will also be interesting to see how tizen is affected with the rumored upcoming "Gear Wear"

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Well I'm sorry I insulted you with my expression pal, so much that you had to write this whole post for it.

There are a bunch of people here and in the general forum that put down people who use the Gear as it's intended and make it seem that only the "cool kids" are smart enough to see the light and use their watch as a full-scale Android device. I think what people here have done beyond what the Gear's intended to do is amazing. Not finding it appealing doesn't make people stupid or inferior. Every in-built app on Tizen is superior to its Android equivalent which for those that use the Gear stock is reason enough to upgrade. Just like not moving off Android to keep your Gear's ability to be a full-Android device is important to you. To each their own.

I believe the biggest challenge for tizen will be to overcome what google wear will do with a smart watch. It will also be interesting to see how tizen is affected with the rumored upcoming "Gear Wear"

Android Wear, like Google Now, is dependent on using Google's stock apps including Gmail. With Google getting creapier and creapier in their data collection for marketing profiling, people are becoming less trusting. Whenever possible I use non-Google solutions (EG: personal Exchange account) and more and more of my tech savvy friends are too. The success of Android Wear vs. Samsung/Tizen will be determined by the masses. With all the negative press Google's been getting about their behavior I'd imagine the masses are at some point going to grow skeptical about getting in even deeper with them. Nexus (Google), HTC, Motorola, Sony, and LG lost the smartphone market to Samsung. It's a bit presumptive to think Android Wear is going to fair any better in the wearables space. Time will tell.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    in some cases not even the xposed hack will work as i found out when using easy tether - it turns out google services need https connectivity so the free version of easy tether + xposed did not solve the problem. By upgrading to the pro version of easy tether i was able to start using these services. By the way love how google translate works - very convenient in a watch

using ATT Galaxy S4 stock

Here, you need to install the Xposed Hack Connectivity service APK needed to spoof the network connectivity. This makes apps think there is a standard wifi network connection even when there is not.

Lots of people forget or miss this step and have the exact same problem you have.

Probably just get the file off here, no need to read the page contents, just download.
    http://androidhackz.blogspot.ca/2013/07/updatedhow-to-reverse-tether.html

You cannot do what you list if on USA AT&T
    I would, switch in a heart beat, I want proper smart watch app not side loaded phone apps.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    If it was 1 week that would be awesome. Lol

Well it kind of would be longer since you won't be using it as much due to lack of tizen apps, so you'd have a long stand by time. But actual usage time would be the only slightly longer.
    Sounds like a lot of people are wanting to switch back to Android.

I think switching to Tizen now is too much of a risk to take especially with Android Wear right around the corner. Why lose the ability to control your device and be at the mercy of Samsung by switching to Tizen and be stuck with it forever?