[Q] is xbmc installable?

Search This thread

bstag

Mar 27, 2011
Why?

I guess i just don't really understand the use of xbmc on a tablet. On my htpc sure.

ricostuart

ok just read my post and it didnt make sense! (was typing using iphone!)

XBMC is an awesome program for video playback and library. I would want to use it on the tablet for viewing as I can link multiple xbmc librarys to the main central one i use on my htpc (which also acts as a home server using ubuntu). I know that it is running as a upnp server too, but its the library linking that would be great - i watch a lot of tv shows, etc.

ELTinos

Mar 24, 2010

XBMC is an awesome program for video playback and library. I would want to use it on the tablet for viewing as I can link multiple xbmc librarys to the main central one i use on my htpc (which also acts as a home server using ubuntu). I know that it is running as a upnp server too, but its the library linking that would be great - i watch a lot of tv shows, etc.

I only got the XBMC Remote to work to control my pc and use the DLNA-functionality of XBMC on my PC to have him act as my media server and watch it with upnplayer. XBMC does make a navigationable library as media server where you can select on actor, year, director, title etc. but it is not as fancy with covers and banners as in XBMC.

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008

XBMC should be capable of doing what you want through DLNA. Go into settings and enable UPnP video sharing, then browse to it on your TF, and it should show your entire library across all xbmc devices. And it lists the files in library mode, not file mode, so you get the pretty naming instead of viewing raw folders.

If you mean you want things like posters, metadata, etc then no this is not possible. XBMC is slowly being ported to ARM platforms but it is nowhere near usable except on the Apple TV 2. There is a ton of interest in getting it on ARM, but I haven't seen any work done for Tegra2, so chances are it will never run on our Transformers.