[Q] Sprint Device warranty and repair procedures for Galaxy S5

Search This thread

doctorman

Feb 16, 2010
Hey Guys,
I hope this is the right forum for this.. pardon me if it is not.

Coming from Galaxy S4, I know that phone back and forth but I feel naked when I play with S5 and how does the Sprint Stores deal with this phone..

Hardware:
1) considering this phone is sort of waterproof:

a) does sprint consider it waterproof or if they suspect water damage they will send you to asurion to pay 200$ deductible?
\\SPRINT AND SAMSUNG DO NOT CONSIDER THIS WATERPROOF SO IF YOU GET WATER DAMAGE YOU PAY FOR IT FULLY

b) beside the water sensor on the battery are there any other sensors that they check in store? it seams like the only way to get inside this phone is by removing the screen on top which is very tight and a professional work.. so I can not imagine sprint stores open it that way to check inside.. am I wrong?

Software:
2) How does print stores deal with knox and root:

//UNROOT THE PHONE AND TAKE IT TO SPRINT STORE, THEY USUALLY DO NO CARE ABOUT KNOX

a) on my old phones I would just unroot and remove the custom recovery/kenel and walk in the store, as long as they can reflash the phone they used to be happy to exchange it under warranty how is it with S5?

b) How does KNOX affect this process? I was planning to root with Towelroot to avoid the knox and then install a denoxed custom ROM for now so in case I need the phone repaired I can take it in to sprint store..

I will update this first post as the information is collected.

Thank you!:D

Last edited:

doctorman

Feb 16, 2010
Hey Guys,
I hope this is the right forum for this.. pardon me if it is not.

Coming from Galaxy S4, I know that phone back and forth but I feel naked when I play with S5 and how does the Sprint Stores deal with this phone..

Hardware:
1) considering this phone is sort of waterproof:

a) does sprint consider it waterproof or if they suspect water damage they will send you to asurion to pay 200$ deductible?
\\SPRINT AND SAMSUNG DO NOT CONSIDER THIS WATERPROOF SO IF YOU GET WATER DAMAGE YOU PAY FOR IT FULLY

b) beside the water sensor on the battery are there any other sensors that they check in store? it seams like the only way to get inside this phone is
by removing the screen on top which is very tight and a professional work.. so I can not imagine sprint stores open it that way to check inside.. am I wrong?

Software:
2) How does print stores deal with knox and root:

a) on my old phones I would just unroot and remove the custom recovery/kenel and walk in the store, as long as they can reflash the phone they used to be happy to exchange it under warranty how is it with S5?
//UNROOT THE PHONE AND TAKE IT TO SPRINT STORE, THEY USUALLY DO NO CARE ABOUT KNOX
b) How does KNOX affect this process? I was planning to root with Towelroot to avoid the knox and then install a denoxed custom ROM for now so in case I need the phone repaired I can take it in to sprint store..

I will update this first post as the information is collected.

Thank you!:D

I updated the OP with some answers I found..