[Q] Samsung Kies "Device not Supported" error

Search This thread

AdamJC07

Nov 7, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
Hey guys. I have had my Captivate since the beginning of September. I downloaded Samsung KIES and was able to download the update back in Sept. I have checked periodicially for any updates, was able to sync contacts, and all that. Yesterday, I went to check for an update, and there was one available. After downloading the update, KIES could no longer recognize my phone. I shut down my computer and the phone. When I reconnected, KIES told me that the "device was not supported." I have redownloaded it several times, but to no avail. I am trying it again, using advice I found on another forum service, hoping it will work. However, has anyone else had this issue, or is this an issue that seems to be plaguing the new update? I thought I was downloading a new firmware update for the phone, however, It may have been a KIES update...

kegobeer

Apr 22, 2007
Panama City Beach
What update did you install on your phone? Post your firmware, baseband, and kernel versions, along with the build number.

Also, this probably doesn't belong in the development section. You should post this in the general board.

AdamJC07

Nov 7, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
[Update] I downloaded KIES again (the newest version) and it still says my device is not supported. My computer recognizes the phone, just not KIES...Is it still possible to download an older version of KIES, because the issue seems to be the version of KIES, and not my phone...?

AdamJC07

Nov 7, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
I didn't actually update my phone. KIES was downloading the update, and once the update was downloaded, my phone was not recognizable. I will move the forum to the general discussion and post the info there... Thanks! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Haitian

Aug 17, 2010
Arlington, TX
I have the same issue with Kies. I downloaded an update for Kies and now Kies no longer sees my Captivate. My computer sees the Captivate no problem. I have been looking for an older version of Kies to go back to.

grigolla

Mar 6, 2008
Kies update issue

I had the same problem once my version of Kies updated last week. I tired everything, cleared user setting and cache, formated the INT SD card.

Did a ODIN one click restore to the original firmware and tried the above steps again... Nothing...

I had to uninstall the full version of Kies and go back to the MINI version of Kies, then all was fine...

I'm suspecting that they updated the full version of Kies to exclude certain versions of the Galaxy S (Captivate in my case)...

jth747

Oct 11, 2010
I had the same thing happen after I let Kies update, tried everything I could think of, it would not link to the phone. I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the older version I first had, all is good again. I suspect it was a deliberate move, as Samsung now says the Captivate can only be updated with Kies mini.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

nkrick

Feb 20, 2009
I suspect it was a deliberate move, as Samsung now says the Captivate can only be updated with Kies mini.

I concur, since AT&T has removed all native tethering and WiFi AP ability from the captivate, I think they pushed Samsung to remove captivate support from Kies. I don't have time to look around, but perhaps Kies has a config file that can be updated/changed to re-add captivate support.

gormander

Oct 11, 2010
Fremont
Same here. I just updated Kies to 1.5.3.10103_100 just now before doing research on the adverse affects (Who'da thunk it that I would need to). Turns out that after Kies installed the update, it can no longer recognize my Samsung Captivate. I am running Cognition 2.1.6 ROM but that shouldnt matter. Just last week I was able to connect to Kies and back up my calendars and messages. Now....I am getting the "connecting the device..." message. That message has been up for the past 40 minutes. I have not reflashed my phone for at least 2 weeks now.

Seems like the Kies update to 1.5.3.10103_100 did something bad.

djdk80

Nov 9, 2010
I went back to the older version kies (1.5.3.10075_17)
and it works very well now .. i think new version kies have some bug or problem

kegobeer

Apr 22, 2007
Panama City Beach
I went back to the older version kies (1.5.3.10075_17)
and it works very well now .. i think new version kies have some bug or problem

Have you read this thread? It's not looking like a bug - more like Samsung doesn't want the full Kies to work with US Captivates. Kies mini still works, and that's what Samsung wants people to use.

chernomorez

May 6, 2008
In case anyone is looking for an older version of kies, I found one at turbobit.net/i8v2c4oixldz.html

Haitian

Aug 17, 2010
Arlington, TX
I installed a previous version of Kies and it works just fine. If anyone needs a older version you can find it at samfirmware.com
They list all the versions that Samsung has made under the Samsung Kies link

elteebee

Sep 1, 2010
encountered same issue.

here's another alternative link to older version 1.5.3.10092_2_1 that seems to work.

http;//org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=DE&CttFileID=3203268&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=N&ModelName=GT-S5250&VPath=SW/201009/20100914110209343/Kies_1.5.3.10092_2_1.exe