keep the amaze or go htc one S?

Search This thread

bangsters

Apr 5, 2010
Hey guys sup!!!

Anyway, Tmo US is bringing in the HTC One S. Wondering what you guys think about it. Is it worth to switch, or just keep the amaze? I went form htc sensation to htc amaze in 1 month, now i'm not sure if i should do the same and switch to htc one s.....

if it were the htc one x with quad proc then should be a no brainer, but TMO US the way they are argghh, just don't get why they didn't get the htc one x instead....

any thoughts??? Also, I believe the galaxy note is now workable in TMO US, as someone here got it to work with a different radio....

supraman89

Jul 29, 2010
San Antonio
I wouldn't, if people think battery life on the amaze sucks, it'll probably be worse on the one s because it has a smaller capacity battery, as for me the upgrades are very nice but not quite worth it to switch from the amaze. I don't like how OEMS are starting to remove the search button, its something i use all the time.

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
I agree, too soon to switch. Dev. is picking up and once the release of 'you know what' comes out it'll be a free for all. Nobody is working on 2.3 anymore, its the calm before the storm. I see lots of good things on the next couple of months for the amaze

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
If you don't care about not being able to pull your battery or increase your sdcard storage then upgrade.

Not being able to install a bigger sdcard and not being able to pull the battery are deal breakers for me. 16gb of storage is not enough for me. I'm already past 16gb on my 32gig. Not being able to pull the battery also means you won't be able to replace it with a better extended life one. We all know stock android batteries suck ass.

In my opinion, the one s is not much better than the amaze. Besides sense 4.0 it gots nothing else on the amaze and almost nothing at all when the amaze receives the official ics update.

G

glacierguy

the fact that it has a non removable battery and no expandable memory are the killers for me. hell, i dont like the fact the amaze has an internal sd, but its tolerable

One series has a kill switch instead of a removable battery (so u can mimick a batt pull, but can't replace a shot battery :eek:) and the no removable/expandable memory is a DEFINITE buzzkill... But it does come with internal storage and that Dropbox hack built in for an extra 23 GB

Either way, I think its ugly and I love my amaze... I'll wait :D

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

ickedmel

Jul 10, 2010
One series has a kill switch instead of a removable battery (so u can mimick a batt pull, but can't replace a shot battery :eek:) and the no removable/expandable memory is a DEFINITE buzzkill... But it does come with internal storage and that Dropbox hack built in for an extra 23 GB

Either way, I think its ugly and I love my amaze... I'll wait :D

That's a pretty good point about the battery never thought... What if the battery goes bad you have to send your whole phone! Yikes.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using xda premium

G

glacierguy

That's a pretty good point about the battery never thought... What if the battery goes bad you have to send your whole phone! Yikes.

Sounds like one reason I didn't buy an iPhone... Amongst others

bangsters

Apr 5, 2010
with the One S I understand.... but what if it were the One X with Quad core and 4.7" HD screen?? OR samsung note?

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
im personally jumping ship when the galaxy s3 comes out...rumor has it as having a 1080p 4.7 inch screen :D

I remember when I got my hero, I upgraded from a touch diamond, and I was blown away at the screen. That's what an upgrade should feel like, I look at my old one and then the new one, and you can definitely tell that there's an improvement. With today's phones, unless you're buying something that's got a 3D projection on it or something beamed straight to your brain, I think trying to top what we've already got is going to be pretty damn hard. 1080P? I can't notice much of a difference.

Reactions: Acroft311

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
dragging knee on the track
I remember when I got my hero, I upgraded from a touch diamond, and I was blown away at the screen. That's what an upgrade should feel like, I look at my old one and then the new one, and you can definitely tell that there's an improvement. With today's phones, unless you're buying something that's got a 3D projection on it or something beamed straight to your brain, I think trying to top what we've already got is going to be pretty damn hard. 1080P? I can't notice much of a difference.

I think you would notice it on a 4.7 inch screen. Hell, my mytouch has a 3.8 in hdpi screen and I can tell a difference between that phone and my amaze. Maybe you need glasses? ;)

rush115

Feb 18, 2010
The One S is a lot faster than the amaze.. supposedly ~60% increase clock for clock based on the new "s4" snapdragon. But that probably isn't enough of a reason to jump ship unless you have a lot of money you want to burn. The screen is also kind of weak on the One S. Hopefully tmobile gets a version of the X.

2kwic25

Dec 13, 2010
It has ics and suppose to be faster but can't upgrade the battery or memory i would pass

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
I think you would notice it on a 4.7 inch screen. Hell, my mytouch has a 3.8 in hdpi screen and I can tell a difference between that phone and my amaze. Maybe you need glasses? ;)

I said much of a difference. The current screens are very good nowadays anyway, the differences are miniscule. And I already wear glasses :p

btw, samsung can kiss my ass!

Reactions: stratax

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
1080p on a 4.7 screen would be so pointless.. it would also be laggy, much more than 720p. even wvga looks decent on the titan, qhd look good, 720p looks amazing, thats a waste of tech/money lol. just my 2 cents.. most people that have normal human eyes don't notice a difference between 720/1080 unless the screen is around, or above 50"

samsung hasnt released a superamoled plus screen with anything above wvga as of now anyways, i dont see why or how they would jump to 1080p. unless they have been working on something for a quite a while

rbaruch

Dec 17, 2011
From what I've read on the engadget review, the amaze has a better camera for stills. Plus once ics hops along we should be getting better battery life and performance.

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT
I don't get why some of you like to drop so much cash on new phones that do the same thing. Talk about wasting money.

I agree, I had to wait for a tax refund to buy my amaze, had the G2 for a year before getting the amaze and that was only because it was free with a new account. I'll stick with it for awhile now, I love tech but I don't find a need or have the cash to upgrade every 6 months when some l "cutting edge" device comes out.
Once some "other" things happen for amaze it'll be even more of a beast.

Sent from the Morgue!

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
I also agree on not wasting money. My mytouch lasted me over a year, before that my 9700 was two years.

I will be sticking with this one for awhile. Least a year. 6 months is to fast, lol!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i dont like the fact the amaze has an internal sd

... as opposed to what? I thought nearly ALL phones with sd card slots were "internal". My Touch Pro 2's is, and i prefer it that way to keep dust and such from getting into it. But then i dont swap it out on a regular basis. I prefer a single card.

But I agree, as soon as i read the One's were not upgrade-able/replaceable, that pretty much closed it off for me. I wouldn't mind the more powerful hardware, but the severe lack of upgradability is a huge disappointment.

I dont want my information on a 'cloud' burning up data usage when adding an SD slot would negate that. Just because data usage is available doesn't mean we should be Forced to use it for everyday use. What if the network went down, or has high traffic, slowing it down? what if your in a shielded area with low or no signal?

That's like saying Cars can use smaller gas tanks because there's gas stations everywhere. True as it would be, it would be very inconvenient, especially if you wanted to take a longer trip (le* bigger file)

Tho, ive never been a fan of cloud storage either. I just dont trust having my data "out there" where i cant control it, or secure it.
    I don't get why some of you like to drop so much cash on new phones that do the same thing. Talk about wasting money.
    Great feedback, a few questions for you as you seem to be the man with a plan when it comes to the Amaze.

I've had the Amaze since November or so and I've just gotten around to rooting it. Having never rooted before, I'm now seeing the usefulness of the External SD and removable battery that I thought I could cope without come the One series. After talking with my local HTC rep [I work in cell retail], the One S is looking pretty nice from a regular consumer standpoint(although the one he let me demo was a 'prototype'].I havn't gotten any hands on time with the One X and thats the phone i've been doing reading on, and finding out everything I could.

I've seen the benchmark for the One X dual core with the Snapdragon S4 and it's pretty mind blowing, I can't seem to find a direct One X Quad Core Tegra 3 vs Dual core benchmark after some light searching while typing this.

In your opinion would I be better off staying with my Amaze and waiting to see the full potential of ROMS to come? If not, which version of the HTC One X would be the better choice? I'm running on Mobilicity which is an AWS carrier but it looks like both models will support it.

I'm fantastic when it comes to stock version of android phones, but being rooted is a whole new ballgame.

Here is the best benchmark comparison with the s4 and the tegra 3. all around the tegra 3 is better, dont listen to people saying the s4 is better when most people have only seen quadrant benchmark comparisons. which dont really mean anything. overall, if you are just going to be using your phone for calls and want fluid and barely lag. i would go with the s4. if you want some great graphics in gaming (tegra zone "THD" games look the best out of any games) and you aim more towards entertainment and what not then i would go with the tegra 3. now, if you are going to just play angry birds and stuff like that i wouldnt even think about the tegra lol, all four cores would run at like 500mhz if that

http://www.technobuffalo.com/comparisons/benchmarked-nvidia-tegra-3-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-s4/

its never good to buy a phone RIGHT when it comes out; you, along with other people do not know if and what problems it will have. i have learned this the hard way with a few android phones i have bought including this phone. if you are desperate for a new phone i would wait a few weeks before getting any of the one series. also, the only good way to test it is the one x vs one xl. the one x has much more pixels to push than the one s, and still beats it in some test, expecially graphic comsuming test.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/compan...te-fix-replacements-for-one-s-chipping-issue/

to your last question: Well, we are close to acheiving s-off and close to getting ICS (i think). after that, we should have better development going on. thats just my opinion though.

edti: i plan on selling/trading my amaze for a WP7 and stick with that until androids fragmention settles (if it ever does). and see what Microsoft brings with Apollo, and what Google brings with Jellybean.
    My friend just got a one s from tmo and I got to play with it and right from the get go I was not impressed. It felt so flimsy in my hand and cheaply made, like if I dropped it it would shatter. The camera is nice but that's about it. I personally would not pay for that phone lol, I told him to take it back and exchange it for an amaze. Ha ha

Sent from the morgue.

I had an upgrade available on one of my lines, so I went to AT&T with the One X in mind. I will admit, its a sexy looking device, but it does feel really cheap. Coming from a Galaxy Note, I was also having a hard time aclimating to the size of the One X. The rep told me the camera can snap 99 pictures in 4 seconds. First thing that came to my mind, was how quickly the storage would get filled up. Besides, who the heck needs a csmera that can shoot 99 photos in 4 seconds? I guess if you're serious about photography, that would come in handy. But then again, those who are serious about photography, aren't going to use a camera phone to snap photos. That, and the non removeable battery, and lack of SD support, I chose to use my upgrade to get a second Galaxy Note. :D only this time, I got a black one, and sold my white Note today, locally, for $450. ;) I made a profit of $200. :)

"if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" ~N.P. Rush

Brought to you courtesy of my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premiero!

I said much of a difference. The current screens are very good nowadays anyway, the differences are miniscule. And I already wear glasses :p

btw, samsung can kiss my ass!