Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Search This thread

Tippfehler

Oct 29, 2008
Bavaria/Germany
Many thanks for the mail notification extension.
Is it possible, to have a widget for cleaning the mails, without going thru the liveware menus?
I'm looking forward, if this extension is working under ICS.

Last edited:

fourthw

Apr 29, 2012
Great smartwatch apps Beowulf

Thank you very much beowulf, great apps. the smartwatch map is works great, one question on the mail notifier, i have a verizon galaxy nexus and am having trouble, i dont get any notifications, and i get the mailnotification app is not responding. do i need to change the protocol from imaps or the port from what it automatically is t 993? thanks for any assistance

Originally Posted by beowulf6
Hello. i again have developed a bit.

I am not sure if the mail notifier does work now for everyone.
For me it worked already before on my actual device and in the emulator.
But still i changed a bit what i have forgot in the mail library.
smartwatchmailnotifier.apk

and i have developed a GPS Map Application:
SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

it uses now openstreetmap.

It does not have an own icon at the moment.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs.

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Thank you very much beowulf, great apps. the smartwatch map is works great, one question on the mail notifier, i have a verizon galaxy nexus and am having trouble, i dont get any notifications, and i get the mailnotification app is not responding. do i need to change the protocol from imaps or the port from what it automatically is t 993? thanks for any assistance

Hi.

if it is not responding it is most likely some wrong with your setting.
You can find the correct Port for your mailserver on the webpage of your mailprovider most of the time.
993 is only the port for the imaps port of google mail.

if you set it to imap it will most likely be a different port.

If you have set the server in any mail application on your desktop PC you could get the correct settings from there maybe.

I also changed the GPS Map application for the Smartwatch.
It is using now Google Maps and i have set the refreshing even higher. I am not sure about the battery consumtion with that high refreshrate.
with a press on the screen of the smartwatch you can dim the screen.

The problem with google mail is the big copyright box at the bottom that is eating much space.

Google Maps version:
http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMapGmap.apk

OpenStreetMap version:
http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMap.apk

You can not install both at the same time.

Maybe i should make a thread where all the apps for the Smartwatch can be found? I am not really sure if this is the right thread for the development of smartwatch apps.

fourthw

Apr 29, 2012
thank you again beuo, re: google maps app

I downloaded the google maps app and it works; however it shows no street names, while the prior app showed street names, just fyi. also, i configured the mailnotification app with imap correctly and port 993 but still receive no notification, i have 2 step authentication active, but even had google generate a specific password for the app, but still nothing, maybe there is something wrong with ics on galaxy nexus 2 since the gmail notifier in the playstore does work but only with subject line but no body.cheers

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hi fourthw,

About the street names.. i fear google maps is not really optimized for such a low resolution. But it seems zooming out helped. You only need to reopen the app on the smartwatch and the new zoom should be active. I will see if i could make it zoomable from the app.

Am using a galaxy note with android ICS 4.0.4.

If you use google mail with 2 step verification you need to create a password for the app. Try to enter it with or without spaces. I fear though that the google mail imap implementation is a bit different because i wasnt able to see the bodytext either.

I am currently using the rss reader to get the google mail notifications where at least a part of the bodytext is readable. If you wish i could tell you how to use the rss reader for that.

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail? http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695

Last edited:

fourthw

Apr 29, 2012
beowulf: re google maps and mail notifier

Good morning, thank you for your kind replies. Google maps now shows the street names, but as you said it is very zoomed which is fine, so thank you! Re: mail notification, yes i did enable IMAP but still nothing,I also did give it a separate password through the google authentication thing online. i think it may be the app itself on my galaxy nexus running 4.0.2 since everytime i access the app on the phone it freezes and says mail notification is not responding, do you want to wait or cancel. I do have the rss feed and its working really well. I also was able to get at least the subject line in the gmail notifier app from google play (but no body of mail) by giving it its own password through authentication. cheers

Hi fourthw,

About the street names.. i fear google maps is not really optimized for such a low resolution. But it seems zooming out helped. You only need to reopen the app on the smartwatch and the new zoom should be active. I will see if i could make it zoomable from the app.

If you use google mail with 2 step verification you need to create a password for the app. Try to enter it with or without spaces. I fear though that the google mail imap implementation is a bit different because i wasnt able to see the bodytext either.

I am currently using the rss reader to get the google mail notifications where at least a part of the bodytext is readable. If you wish i could tell you how to use the rss reader for that.

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail?

morg01

May 19, 2010

SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs. :)

@beowulf

thanks for the apps . . although the email notifier isn't even installing on my GS2, (I do have install apps from unknown sources checked)

edit: also how different is the official sony one and can it be made to work with sammy phones?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware.extension.mail&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zb255ZXJpY3Nzb24uZXh0cmFzLmxpdmV3YXJlLmV4dGVuc2lvbi5tYWlsIl0.

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
@beowulf

thanks for the apps . . although the email notifier isn't even installing on my GS2, (I do have install apps from unknown sources checked)

edit: also how different is the official sony one and can it be made to work with sammy phones?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware.extension.mail&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zb255ZXJpY3Nzb24uZXh0cmFzLmxpdmV3YXJlLmV4dGVuc2lvbi5tYWlsIl0.

i can get it to install on my GS2 ...
i am using ics btw

the official one doesnt support ICS :(

morg01

May 19, 2010
i can get it to install on my GS2 ...
i am using ics btw

the official one doesnt support ICS :(

just tried again since you mentioned that . . . I had to turn off my watch before installing . . . . that did the trick

ref: official app, I think if you read the notes it mentions the default sony email app on sony phones .. .

Last edited:

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hello,

Sorry that the mail notification is not working as intended.
i was not even aware that there is a sony only mail notifier application for it.
So my application has nothing to do at all with the sony version.

I wonder why the sony app should only work with sony phones. But i believe they will have their reason.

I think i need to get rid of the javamail library for android. It seems it is not really bugfree or i just did something wrong. I always wonder why it is working for me.

Do you get a notification on your smartwatch that reads:
"Error: Failed to Connect to Server" ?

i am already looking into a whatsapp notifier. But because there is no official api available at all i need to read directly from the whatsapp database which will need a rooted phone to get access to it. The only other way would be to catch the android notifications. But there is already an app in the market that does this but crashes for me.

morg01

May 19, 2010
Hello,

i was not even aware that there is a sony only mail notifier application for it.

I wonder why the sony app should only work with sony phones. But i believe they will have their reason.

I think i need to get rid of the javamail library for android. It seems it is not really bugfree or i just did something wrong. I always wonder why it is working for me.

i am already looking into a whatsapp notifier. But because there is no official api available at all i need to read directly from the whatsapp database which will need a rooted phone to get access to it. The only other way would be to catch the android notifications. But there is already an app in the market that does this but crashes for me.

@ beowolf

yeah I got the app installed in the end, I had to turm off the watch before the app would install -strange- :confused:

I have four accounts setup through the samsung email client and was looking for a plugin that would send notifications from that.

I mentioned the sony mail notifying app in the hope someone could decompile and tweak it to work with the samsung email app :)

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

cool man
dunno if this can help ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ishii.android.customnotifierextension

this app actually just push the notification to the watch but since u can set more than one app for the notifications it will be jumble up. Hopefully u can make one especially for whatsapp, with a function of open in phone ... :)

fourthw

Apr 29, 2012
mailnotification app

Hello again, thank you. no i do not get the error: failed to connect to server, i was able to install, but most of the time it says when i try to get into mail settings, it says mail notification is not responding, would you like to close it, wait or ok!,

the gmail notifier app (from google play) does work, and it does notify me when gmail comes in and also shows from whom and the subject line but no body of actual email. I would appreciate if you could show how i can get the email body thru RSS feed as you had suggested. thank you kindly

Hello,

enzo319

Dec 24, 2010
Yea be nice if we can get the Sony app 2 work with any other phone or beowulf6 can work his magic. Keep up the good work!

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
thanks. I am no magician. I just started developing for android and got my smartwatch. :)

The RSS Reader for the smartwatch does not support Atom Feeds.
So you need to convert it first to a RSS Feed.

Here is a PHP Converter Script that converts atom feeds to rss.
I gathered it together from different places:
So you need to host it on your own PHP Hosting.
http://code-i.de/smartwatch/atom2rss.zip

If you do trust me you can use the script from my server. I will not save your mails or connection details that get read from that script. You can decide yourself if you trust me or not.

to get the feed into the rss reader you can then enter it in this format:
Code:
http://code-i.de/atom2rss/atom2rss.php?url=https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom

change the hostname if you host it on your own php hosting.

unfortunate it seems the RSS feed app can not read from a HTTPS connection.

So use it or wait until i find a better solution. Or the sony mail app gets modified to be usable for everyone.

//Edit: So i just finished the WhatsApp Notifier. It works the same way as the CustomNotiferExtension.
So you need to enable the Accessibility App in the Android Settings.
I have not tested it with WhatsApp but it should work as long as WhatsApp does create system notifications.

Download: SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: koba

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
thanks.
//Edit: So i just finished the WhatsApp Notifier. It works the same way as the CustomNotiferExtension.
So you need to enable the Accessibility App in the Android Settings.
I have not tested it with WhatsApp but it should work as long as WhatsApp does create system notifications.

Download: SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier.apk

thanks
will test it out and will report back

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
notification working

the whatsapp notification is working :)
it would be nice if it can also show the partial msg or the msg that pop up on ur notification bar ...

anyway u r gr8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone.

Sorry. was a bit busy the last days.

I worked a bit on some smartwatch apps.

the Mail notification app:
    smartwatchmailnotifier11.apk
    should no longer crash on the phone even when wrong settings are entered. i also changed a bit more and added some more settings in the settings-screen that are accessible from the javamail library.

there might still be a not responding message when the app fetches messages. So please press "wait" when this pops up. It should be faster after the first fetch though.

If you have problems i would like if you can provide some server-details. especially if you use some free mail hosting out there and wich settings you used in the app.

I also changed the Whatsapp Notification app.
    I am not sure if the new version prints out the full message. But i changed it so it should print out every possible text type from the view. So there might be some odd number or something like that.
    SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier21.apk

I also made a wrong answer. It seems the smartwatch does support more then the 3x3 touchpoints. i must have misunderstood the documentation of it somewhere.
    I come to the conclusion because there is a new calculator app in the market that must need more than 3x3 touchpoints because of the many buttons.

Or are there different versions of the smartwatch?

//Edit:
    Ok. made another small App for the Smartwatch because the default Calendar app does not show any event at all for me.
    The app shows the Events from your Calendar on your smartwatch and you can swipe with your finger to the left to see the next event and swipe to the right to see the previous event.

It will most likely only work on Android 4.0 and higher devices. So sorry for everyone else.
    SmartwatchCalendar.apk

Hi.

if it is not responding it is most likely some wrong with your setting.
    You can find the correct Port for your mailserver on the webpage of your mailprovider most of the time.
    993 is only the port for the imaps port of google mail.

if you set it to imap it will most likely be a different port.

If you have set the server in any mail application on your desktop PC you could get the correct settings from there maybe.

I also changed the GPS Map application for the Smartwatch.
    It is using now Google Maps and i have set the refreshing even higher. I am not sure about the battery consumtion with that high refreshrate.
    with a press on the screen of the smartwatch you can dim the screen.

The problem with google mail is the big copyright box at the bottom that is eating much space.

Google Maps version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMapGmap.apk

OpenStreetMap version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMap.apk

You can not install both at the same time.

Maybe i should make a thread where all the apps for the Smartwatch can be found? I am not really sure if this is the right thread for the development of smartwatch apps.
    The whatsapp notifier doesnt work on my HTC One x (ICS)
    When I start the app on my smart watch it says "no events" and then it freezes the smart watch.

Hi. that is odd. there is nothing special happening on opening the event-list on the smartwatch.

Do you have the Accessibility Service enablend in your Android System Settings and enabled it inside of the Whatsapp notification settings? (there is a "Active" checkbox. The first one is only to show the icon on the smartwatch and is provided from the LiveWare Manager)

I also digged into the Sony E-Mail notification app.

When i am correct they have extended the Content Provider from the System E-Mail Application. the "isDeviceSupported()" Method does not just check for the Mobile-Phone ID or something like that which would be easy to change for other Phones.
    It does check for the Content Provider from the E-Mail Application where it can get the E-Mail accounts and other data.

So without a modified E-Mail.apk for your Android version and no Root access i suppose it is not possible.

Thanks to Tippfehler and koba for providing the links.

SmartwatchMap.apk

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs. :)
    Hi fourthw,

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail? http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695