[PROJ] Improve/Porting Adreno GPU drivers on Snapdragon Devices

Search This thread

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
Okay so playing Brothers in arms 2 I realised a really big problem with adreno that's been here for a while: Any particle or transparent texture result in HUGE FPS dropdown, so i think this is No.1 on the list now.

Anyone knows a book about glES 2.0? Thanks.

So, adrenos struggle with transparent billboarding, or is it something else? As for the book, if you find one, let me know. I've been wanting to get into this for months.

Reactions: Dany0

Dany0

Jun 1, 2010
The answer is easy:
No, I don't have money and I can't buy any of these books, the material on the internet is either outdated or misleading, and since I have no material to work with...

We wait for Nexus S to be released, when it's released the AOSP(source code) will be out, and then I/we can work on this.

But something I have found is that it's really easy to convert glES2.0 to glES1.1 - and that would be a huge performance boost in games like asphalt or brothers in arms 2. Though I think forbidding to render transparent textures would be more effective and easier to do.

edit:
oh yeah the AOSP is out! But I don't have enough HDD space to compile it =/

Last edited:
Reactions: tolis626

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
The answer is easy:
No, I don't have money and I can't buy any of these books, the material on the internet is either outdated or misleading, and since I have no material to work with...

We wait for Nexus S to be released, when it's released the AOSP(source code) will be out, and then I/we can work on this.

But something I have found is that it's really easy to convert glES2.0 to glES1.1 - and that would be a huge performance boost in games like asphalt or brothers in arms 2. Though I think forbidding to render transparent textures would be more effective and easier to do.

edit:
:eek:
That must be a big source code!Or a small HDD! ;)
Anyway,we can all thank you for your effort pal!If someone could pick it up now that Gingerbread's out it would be cool! :)

Dany0

Jun 1, 2010
My effort? I've done nothing :D storm is the guy who compiled few kernels.

And yes, the small is the HDD. The source is 2gb(kinda big taking the fact it compiles into what, 60 megs? and oxygen is even smaller lol), and they say you need 6gb free to compile it. Counting I don't have any prequisities(except python and an old version of eclipse) on my pc installed, and I have 6,33gb free... no I will not risk it again. The last time I had 10 megs free xp didn't start.

Last edited:

m0narx

Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2008
Moscow
uhdrom.net
Hi, I have found a strange thing...
If I replace my file \system\lib\egl\libGLESv1_CM_andreno200.so on HTC Desire with same file from HTC Desire HD.... Qudrant shows 35fps on 2D test (with original only 18), but 3D isn't work at all...

Dany0

Jun 1, 2010
How much RAM do you have left after? Could be that Desire HD has more RAM they've made it to share more of it with the adreno. And Adreno 200 doesn't have a few things from 205 so... this might be the problem.

Dany0

Jun 1, 2010
I'll be trying to look at it again if I s-off properly :D But first really need to finally buy that **** tablet...

Dany0

Jun 1, 2010
Okay tablet arrived, then my stupid parents broke it and it doesn't charge. And they don't to pay the send back to china... Grr

So how's it going over here? Anyone still interested? There is still a lot of room for improvment!!

@rj*n

Mar 1, 2008
Taplejung
The people are interested but the development has been almost nil here and I'm a simple XDA-er who can't read codes so can't help much here :$

How about now mate? Can you try compiling now again?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Over at PROJ: Overclocking the Adreno GPU on Snapdragon Devices they were trying to achieve to overclock the GPU to improve performance.
    I've decided to open this thread for dedication for software porting/improving for adreno GPU on all Snapdragon chips.

1st thing we require/need to start work is:

From there we should be able to improve our drivers from other devices but i think its a good start to look at the Acer Liquid since the source is available iirc.

That should be what we need for a start.
    If i'm missing anything please let me know and i'll add it.

For reference to the other threads i posted.

Desire Porting thread | EVO4G porting thread | Incredible porting Thread

Hopefully we can get this project going and improve our GPU performance. :D
    reserved for changelog
    We'll see with the gingerbeard drivers.

I get usually more then 10% boost in nenamark, bit more, something between 15-20% boost.

Also in games, it's VERY easy to notice the extreme smoothness, people, it's totally going much higher then the 60 FPS limited by the frequency of the display. We should try this thing I suggested earlier:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755671

Y'know, although texture resolution changes would be cool, wouldn't it be more universal and effective if we tried to change how a game rendered itself? On PCs, I know this is driver level stuff and we don't have much driver level control, but say we mapped, in pseudocode of course, RenderWithoutAA to RenderWithAA and force antialiasing on games.
    Okay so playing Brothers in arms 2 I realised a really big problem with adreno that's been here for a while: Any particle or transparent texture result in HUGE FPS dropdown, so i think this is No.1 on the list now.

Anyone knows a book about glES 2.0? Thanks.

So, adrenos struggle with transparent billboarding, or is it something else? As for the book, if you find one, let me know. I've been wanting to get into this for months.
    The answer is easy:

edit: