[SOLVED] Recovery and fastboot problems (soft bricked?)

Search This thread

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
I was given my friends tablet to try and fix for him. Basically the recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.0) cannot mount any partitions at all (and asks for a password for some reason - can be bypassed with the cancel button). The tablet will boot straight into the recovery mentioning that no OS is installed. I have attempted to boot into fastboot to flash an older version of the recovery (which I've read up on a few websites that say it will fix the mounting problem) however while pressing VOL DOWN and POWER it will boot up to the ASUS logo and no message appears about fastboot in the top-left. I'm out of ideas now and the only way I'll be able to fix this (from what I know) is either by flashing the ASUS firmware or an older version of TWRP via fastboot. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks.

EDIT: May be of reference https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/138

EDIT 2: I have finally solved the problem! I have quoted the important parts below in case anyone else has the same problem.

Basically I had some problems with the drivers the whole time on Windows 8. So what I did was disabled driver signature enforcement in Windows 8 (I think it re-enables after some time). I downloaded the drivers from this post and followed this other post , specifically this part:
Making Windows recognize the TF300T

You will need to add the hardware IDs for the TF300T in the driver to make it recognize the ADB interface

• Open the file android_winusb.inf in the naked drivers directory.
  • Look for the section titled [Google.NTx86] (for 32-bit systems) or [Google.NTamd64] (for 64-bit systems)
  • Add the following lines to make it recognize the TF300T hardware (it doesn't matter where, but I put it after the existing entries for the TF201 APX interface)
    Code:
    %AsusTransformerADBInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4C81&REV_0232&MI_01
    %AsusTransformerADBInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4C81&MI_01
    %AsusTransformerADBInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4C83&REV_0232
    %AsusTransformerADBInterface%		= USB_Install, USB\VID_0B05&PID_4C83

After the information is added, you should be able to install the drivers as usual for the device. If for some reason the device is still not recognized, you'll need to find its hardware IDs and add those to the file.

Then I booted up the tablet and connected to my computer. The drivers finally worked! I went into command prompt and typed "adb devices" and the device was there! Then I typed "adb reboot bootloader" and I got into the bootloader.

I had to look for the SKU too and since I couldn't find it cause I couldn't boot into Android it was in really small text in the bootloader at the top. Unfortunately after trying to flash the firmware in the bootloader it would not write over the system every time. So I followed this post instead: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49164067&postcount=167

After following the procedure it finally worked! Thanks cmendonc2 and everyone for your help, my friend is happy!

Last edited:

cmendonc2

Aug 29, 2011
I was given my friends tablet to try and fix for him. Basically the recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.0) cannot mount any partitions at all (and asks for a password for some reason - can be bypassed with the cancel button). The tablet will boot straight into the recovery mentioning that no OS is installed. I have attempted to boot into fastboot to flash an older version of the recovery (which I've read up on a few websites that say it will fix the mounting problem) however while pressing VOL DOWN and POWER it will boot up to the ASUS logo and no message appears about fastboot in the top-left. I'm out of ideas now and the only way I'll be able to fix this (from what I know) is either by flashing the ASUS firmware or an older version of TWRP via fastboot. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks.

EDIT: May be of reference https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/138

What bootloader is it on? It is on the top left corner of the screen wneh you enter the recovery menu in the bootloader.

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
What bootloader is it on? It is on the top left corner of the screen wneh you enter the recovery menu in the bootloader.

It doesn't say in TWRP recovery. When I boot the device straight up in the top-left corner it saw device is unlocked. However holding VOL DOWN does nothing and the tablet boots straight into TWRP

cmendonc2

Aug 29, 2011
It doesn't say in TWRP recovery. When I boot the device straight up in the top-left corner it saw device is unlocked. However holding VOL DOWN does nothing and the tablet boots straight into TWRP

You can still use fastboot in TWRP, but you will need to find the bootloader in order to figure out which recovery to flash over TWRP. There should be a fastboot command to find out.

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
You can still use fastboot in TWRP, but you will need to find the bootloader in order to figure out which recovery to flash over TWRP. There should be a fastboot command to find out.

Okay that's good to know. I am still unfortunately not able to get into fastboot. So I'll have to figure out what version the bootloader is before flash the firmware over.

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
Okay I got access to APX mode (useless from my understanding since my friends has no backups via nvflash), the bootloader while the recovery is loaded (although the driver isn't working for the bootloader), but I CANNOT GET INTO THE BOOTLOADER VIA VOLUME DOWN + POWER. Please help, somebody!

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
Its an option somewhere in TWRP called "ADB sideload".

I tried it out but I get the the message "ADB Sideload Complete" and below it a message in red" Failed". I have it plugged into the computer and I didn't hear a connection sound.

I have also looked in Device Manager and there is the Transformer with no driver loaded with it. Further searching using the device information gave me this link: http://binarydb.com/driver/ASUS-Android-Bootloader-Interface-208738.html

EDIT: Found a driver on softpedia and installed it: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ot...iver-4004-for-Vista-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml Doesn't look like it's working though.

Last edited:

cmendonc2

Aug 29, 2011
I tried it out but I get the the message "ADB Sideload Complete" and below it a message in red" Failed". I have it plugged into the computer and I didn't hear a connection sound.

I have also looked in Device Manager and there is the Transformer with no driver loaded with it. Further searching using the device information gave me this link: http://binarydb.com/driver/ASUS-Android-Bootloader-Interface-208738.html

EDIT: Found a driver on softpedia and installed it: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ot...iver-4004-for-Vista-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml Doesn't look like it's working though.

While the ADB is attempting to connect, reinstall the naked drivers. If you are on Windows 8, use test mode.

f69m

Feb 24, 2013
Munich
I tried out both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my computer but I still have the failed message come up. Any ideas still?
I vaguely remember someone posting that he succeeded to use adb/fastboot by installing a VirtualBox with Linux. You might have to search for the details.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
Hmm. Try using a different USB cable ( if u have it) or a different USB port.

Just an update. I got it working!! I did the following on this post to the universal drivers and then tried installing them on Windows 8. After booting my tablet to TWRP and plugging it in to my computer ADB works! I can reboot into fastboot now. :D Now I either have the option of flashing a JB compatible recovery or flashing the Asus firmware...

firtvid20

Jul 8, 2010
Sydney
Since I'm not able to boot into Android would anyone be able to tell me what is the SKU on the picture below? So I can flash the correct firmware.

EDIT: Found it in the bootloader in small text. -.- It was the "WW" version.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I'm not able to boot into Android would anyone be able to tell me what is the SKU on the picture below? So I can flash the correct firmware.

EDIT: Found it in the bootloader in small text. -.- It was the "WW" version.

I would suggest reflashing the stock firmware that is already on the device. Once it is completely factory fresh, you can start over with a new custom ROM.
    Yeah I tried flashing the recovery and it didn't write over the current (broken) one.
    How would I go about flashing the firmware through fastboot? I can't seem to find a guide for it.

EDIT: Found one finally: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-restore-asus-transformer-tf300t-back-to-stock/
    I tried it and it looked like it worked. I tried rebooting through fastboot but nothing happened. So I rebooted the tablet by holding down the power button. But when I rebooted it just went back into the broken recovery, like nothing really happened..

Code:
    C:\Users\user\Downloads\fastboot>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob

erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [  2.781s]
    sending 'system' (800931 KB)...
    OKAY [132.700s]
    writing 'system'...
    OKAY [  2.438s]
    finished. total time: 137.919s

C:\Users\user\Downloads\fastboot>fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.563s