[GUIDE] How to restore EFS on I9300

Search This thread

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
It started when I was trying Swapper 2 from the Play Store. Will, I guess I should read the comment, but I didn't. And yes, it corrupted my EFS and my phone was stuck at the Samsung boot logo. I have tried many method I can search over XDA, but non works. (I'm not sure about this one, which I only find while writing this guide.)

This is by far the easiest method for me, and it doesn't involve Linux, which was a pain since I haven't use Linux in years. I had to VM one for some of the XDA method, which didn't work at end of the day.

1. Flash the firmware with ODIN (original firmware) with original version that you had before. Not the custom ROM, but the original firmware version.

2. Recover with EFS with the EFS image attached in the thread. I used kTool as it faster and easier than any other tool. (Yes, I tried them all...)

3. Download Chimera Tool and buy their cheapest license (or whatever you want) which is €12.90.

That it. Yes you pay, but it the easiest, and most time saving. I spent a week Googling, trying all this various method over ADB, and no, non works. And for Samsung to repair, which they refuse and simply want to change a board and charge me US$ 200 for it, I rather pay €12.90 and do it myself. If you still have problem connection to the network after restoring IMEI, please read post 3.

Attachments

• EFS.rar
    109.8 KB · Views: 14,573
Last edited:
Reactions: nainaabd

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
FAQ

If you need the ODIN, you can find theme over here. Myself I've always used version 3.07. And as always under options you only need the 'Auto Reboot' and 'F. Reset Time' checked. Whether it a modem or stock ROM, click on 'PDA' choose the correct file and than click on start.

Q: Won't flash the EFS image I provide means I'm getting your IMEI?
A: I've wondered this as well. If it were so simple, there wouldn't be so many thread on recovering and so may people cry for help... (I'm included). As my last resort before I buy Chimera Tool's license, I flashed over my bro's S3 EFS, which I didn't want to, as I said it was a last resort. And as it turned out, I didn't get his IMEI. Instead I got his phones' Update S3 product code and serial number. And that was it. IMEI has changed from my previous 'NULL' to the infamous generic 004999010640000.

Q: Why do I still need to do EFS recovery if Chimera Tool can restore it.
A: I've experiment this myself, as I also absolutely did not want my bro's EFS. But unfortunately Chimera can only restore the IMEI and serial number, not rest of the missing files in the EFS folder. If I repartition the EFS folder and using Chimera to restore my IMEI, it would show the correct IMEI but still refuse to connect to the network. And it will have the annoy overly showing my CSC and other bunch of info on my homescreen, as if my EFS is still corrupt.

Q: Does Chimera need some special box?
A: No, a normal USB cable will work. That pretty much means standard ADB command would work, but unfortunately I can't find any info on that. I wish I did, so I don't need to get the Chimera Tool but there was no other way for me. I was also sceptical at first, as I read over many forums and they say it impossible with some sort of service box/tool. I gambled, and luckily it worked out.

Q: Where does the EFS image go for kTool?
A: Sorry, don't remember. Google it, or use the backup option first than overwrite the EFS.IMG file. That what I did.

Q: Now that I got my IMEI back, how do I back it up?
A. Use kTool again? Personally I use TWRP, as I think it the easiest. Since you can do it at a recovery level. No trying of ODIN the OS for corrupt OS before restoring the EFS. In any case, Chimera would still be function for the next couple of month and you can still mess around until than.

Q: Why the need of ODIN the original firmware?
A: I was on a custom TW ROM and Chimera didn't work. Maybe CM and other custom ROM will will work, you can give it a try. But this is how I did it and I know it works.

Last edited:

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
EFS / Baseband(modem)

It easy to criticize a member and simply tell him use the 'search function', but without realize sometimes the article will help you the most, simply just doesn't come up. Murphy's law. I was on stock 4.1.2 and after restore IMEI and EFS, the phone indicate it register on the network, but I couldn't make calls or connect to the net. This is a vary good article regarding EFS, and sadly it didn't come up easily on my search result. I came across it after I fixed the issue with tones of Googling and was searching for a different topic. But I understand people that desperate need to solve the problem quick (like I was) simply spent hour reading over hundreds of post under that article is just testing a persons sanity. So I'm going to summarised some of the stuff along with my experience. First thing you need to know:

- EFS v2 Basebands (modem) was introduced at Android 4.3 and can read EFS partition v2 and EFS v1
- EFS v1 Basebands (modem) CANNOT read EFS v2, ONLY EFS v1

If you phone is still under warranty and cannot connect to network, the best way is to stay on stock firmware and use TriangleAway to reset the flash counter and sent back to Samsung. With your IMEI number correctly showing, Samsung has absolutely no excuse on not fixing it. If you are no longer warranty, read on.

Q: My IMEI is now showing correctly but I still cannot make calls!
A: This is where the Ariza Patch kicks in. If you are on stock fimware 4.1.2, you need the Ariza Patch to fix the baseband. But after long reading over plenty post, it seems once this patch has been done, it irreversible. So beware. Before you try this patch, you may want to try update to the stock 4.3 firmware and see if it solves the problem before applying the patch.

Q: I'm on stock 4.3, now what?
A: If you still have problem connecting to the network, you need a patched modem (baseband) file. You can find them here. I think this is from the original author who did it. Instead of searching over the forums and files scatter all over the place, I'm pretty sure I dug the link out of XDA while reading through. Someone please tell me if it isn't and provide the the proper link. I'll fix it.

Q: I was on stock 4.1.2 and went to a custom 4.3 ROM, what fix shall I apply?
A: This was my scenario. And I was kind of desperate as well since I just fix my IMEI and was expect the phone to work. I wish I could come across the article on top earlier. I would've tried stock 4.3 first instead of applying the Ariza patch. Any ways, I was on stock 4.1.2 and it didn't work, so I tried a modified 4.3 TW ROM. I wish the OP would mention the EFS thing, which he didn't. I'm not blaming him or anything, but seriously not everyone keep in track of what happening with Android. The OP should mention about the EFS thing or simply post a link such as the topic above and just let people know instead of wasting hours on figuring out why it wasn't working. What I did was, after using the mod 4.3 TW ROM, the IMEI went crazy. So I thought it was corrupt again, so I ODIN back the stock 4.1.2 TW. Than I applied the Ariza patch, wolla, I could call and browse again. So I decide to give the mod 4.3 TW ROM another try. To my surprise, the IMEI still went crazy. So after more Googling only I found out because I wasn't on stock 4.3, my baseband would still 4.1.x. I tried the modem (baseband) patch which for some reason still did not work for me. So I decide to keep the stock 4.1.2 baseband and simply use a custom kernel that could read EFS v1 and v2 - Boeffla Kernel. Remember to download the 4.3 kernel not the 4.1.x! That it, you should now have a working phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: adfree

keenimo

Mar 16, 2014
u need HKCtool to backup efs both img and tar files first of all.

if this is not possible u need a stock rom and odin .after installing stock rom the efs will be repaired.

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
I just use SA manager .It will backup EFS & MODEM .store it in Ext SD .If EFS corrrrupted just install SA mgr back & restore .
Most important is backup and its very simple process

Didn't try SA manager as I was in a rush and looking specifically for Samsung phones only. But it definately somehting I want to try if I get a Sony phone. Though I still prefer at a recover level. It just so simple.

ujinking

Oct 1, 2013
Newcastle
Google Pixel 4 XL
im in nairobi kenya, unfortunately i can not buy the chimera tool because we dont have the necessary paying methods. anyone who can lend me theirs please? my S3 has the generic imei, repair would cost 15k here, which is too much. anybody that can help will be highly appreciated.

Xubair91

Sep 25, 2014
It started when I was trying Swapper 2 from the Play Store. Will, I guess I should read the comment, but I didn't. And yes, it corrupted my EFS and my phone was stuck at the Samsung boot logo. I have tried many method I can search over XDA, but non works. (I'm not sure about this one, which I only find while writing this guide.)

This is by far the easiest method for me, and it doesn't involve Linux, which was a pain since I haven't use Linux in years. I had to VM one for some of the XDA method, which didn't work at end of the day.

1. Flash the firmware with ODIN (original firmware) with original version that you had before. Not the custom ROM, but the original firmware version.

2. Recover with EFS with the EFS image attached in the thread. I used kTool as it faster and easier than any other tool. (Yes, I tried them all...)

3. Download Chimera Tool and buy their cheapest license (or whatever you want) which is €12.90.

That it. Yes you pay, but it the easiest, and most time saving. I spent a week Googling, trying all this various method over ADB, and no, non works. And for Samsung to repair, which they refuse and simply want to change a board and charge me US$ 200 for it, I rather pay €12.90 and do it myself. If you still have problem connection to the network after restoring IMEI, please read post 3.

you can also downgrade to 4.0.4 and do flash i9300 efs.tar via odin 3.07 but first backup your EFS with helroz's app from here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boiteoutilssgshelroz&feature=search_result or use any other efs backup maker
But YOU NEVER NEED TO RESTORE EFS after a flash or whenever, just in case you have an issue with it.
if u have 0049xxxx or 00xxxx imei just flash I9300XXUNA7 or any latest android 4.3 and that's it you have your unknown baseband and null imei fixed aka efs corrupt issue.
Warning!!!!
i am not responsible if you get any damage to your device as per my experience i have fixed many i9300's efs and didn't get any problem .
Good luck!

(CHANGE THE ATTACHED FILE'S EXTENSION TO .md5)

Attachments

• I9300_Repair_efs.tar
    9.7 MB · Views: 3,867
Reactions: duttyend

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
you can also downgrade to 4.0.4 and do flash i9300 efs.tar via odin 3.07 but first backup your EFS with helroz's app from here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boiteoutilssgshelroz&feature=search_result or use any other efs backup maker
But YOU NEVER NEED TO RESTORE EFS after a flash or whenever, just in case you have an issue with it.
if u have 0049xxxx or 00xxxx imei just flash I9300XXUNA7 or any latest android 4.3 and that's it you have your unknown baseband and null imei fixed aka efs corrupt issue.
Warning!!!!
i am not responsible if you get any damage to your device as per my experience i have fixed many i9300's efs and didn't get any problem .
Good luck!

From what I understand, that still under the condition of prior having an EFS back-up first, right? My guide is for people who doesn't. Like in my situation, where the app screwed up the EFS partition and I had no back-ups.

If you really want in details - Swapper 2 moved the EFS partation on to my ext SD card and format the EFS partition. I was in a flat panic with the soft-brick froze at the Samsung boot logo, assume the SWAP was on the ext SD and screwed it up than format the ext SD. Well, boom, without expectation the app would do something like that and had no prior experience with EFS - no back-ups of EFS at all. And no, full nandroid back-up from CWM does not contain EFS, I've tried that. This isn't some normal scenario of incompatibility between kernel/ROM and EFS/Modem. This is recovery guild for corruption of EFS with NO back-ups.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EFS / Baseband(modem)

It easy to criticize a member and simply tell him use the 'search function', but without realize sometimes the article will help you the most, simply just doesn't come up. Murphy's law. I was on stock 4.1.2 and after restore IMEI and EFS, the phone indicate it register on the network, but I couldn't make calls or connect to the net. This is a vary good article regarding EFS, and sadly it didn't come up easily on my search result. I came across it after I fixed the issue with tones of Googling and was searching for a different topic. But I understand people that desperate need to solve the problem quick (like I was) simply spent hour reading over hundreds of post under that article is just testing a persons sanity. So I'm going to summarised some of the stuff along with my experience. First thing you need to know:

- EFS v2 Basebands (modem) was introduced at Android 4.3 and can read EFS partition v2 and EFS v1
    - EFS v1 Basebands (modem) CANNOT read EFS v2, ONLY EFS v1

If you phone is still under warranty and cannot connect to network, the best way is to stay on stock firmware and use TriangleAway to reset the flash counter and sent back to Samsung. With your IMEI number correctly showing, Samsung has absolutely no excuse on not fixing it. If you are no longer warranty, read on.

Q: My IMEI is now showing correctly but I still cannot make calls!
    A: This is where the Ariza Patch kicks in. If you are on stock fimware 4.1.2, you need the Ariza Patch to fix the baseband. But after long reading over plenty post, it seems once this patch has been done, it irreversible. So beware. Before you try this patch, you may want to try update to the stock 4.3 firmware and see if it solves the problem before applying the patch.

Q: I'm on stock 4.3, now what?
    A: If you still have problem connecting to the network, you need a patched modem (baseband) file. You can find them here. I think this is from the original author who did it. Instead of searching over the forums and files scatter all over the place, I'm pretty sure I dug the link out of XDA while reading through. Someone please tell me if it isn't and provide the the proper link. I'll fix it.

Q: I was on stock 4.1.2 and went to a custom 4.3 ROM, what fix shall I apply?
    A: This was my scenario. And I was kind of desperate as well since I just fix my IMEI and was expect the phone to work. I wish I could come across the article on top earlier. I would've tried stock 4.3 first instead of applying the Ariza patch. Any ways, I was on stock 4.1.2 and it didn't work, so I tried a modified 4.3 TW ROM. I wish the OP would mention the EFS thing, which he didn't. I'm not blaming him or anything, but seriously not everyone keep in track of what happening with Android. The OP should mention about the EFS thing or simply post a link such as the topic above and just let people know instead of wasting hours on figuring out why it wasn't working. What I did was, after using the mod 4.3 TW ROM, the IMEI went crazy. So I thought it was corrupt again, so I ODIN back the stock 4.1.2 TW. Than I applied the Ariza patch, wolla, I could call and browse again. So I decide to give the mod 4.3 TW ROM another try. To my surprise, the IMEI still went crazy. So after more Googling only I found out because I wasn't on stock 4.3, my baseband would still 4.1.x. I tried the modem (baseband) patch which for some reason still did not work for me. So I decide to keep the stock 4.1.2 baseband and simply use a custom kernel that could read EFS v1 and v2 - Boeffla Kernel. Remember to download the 4.3 kernel not the 4.1.x! That it, you should now have a working phone.
    I just use SA manager .It will backup EFS & MODEM .store it in Ext SD .If EFS corrrrupted just install SA mgr back & restore .
    Most important is backup and its very simple process

Warning!!!!
    Good luck!