Review of LG Tone+ (HBS-730) Stereo BT headphones w/pics!!!

Search This thread

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely helpful!

@jlczl Would it work if you flipped the colar portion of the Tone+ around so that the enclosed portion was in the front? Or does this just not work because of the way it sits around the neck.

Price wise, this is a simple decision.
The bluebuds are just insanely expensive for bluetooth headphones
I'm just looking for something that I can use for any and all activities that I need headphones, without them being a pain (snagging, worn out wires etc)

I just saw the ones that look like they have an iphone button on them (in the headphone thread) lolz.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely helpful!

@jlczl Would it work if you flipped the colar portion of the Tone+ around so that the enclosed portion was in the front? Or does this just not work because of the way it sits around the neck.

Price wise, this is a simple decision.
The bluebuds are just insanely expensive for bluetooth headphones
I'm just looking for something that I can use for any and all activities that I need headphones, without them being a pain (snagging, worn out wires etc)

I just saw the ones that look like they have an iphone button on them (in the headphone thread) lolz.

yeah, i don't it's possible to turn it around...it would fall off your neck and make you look ridiculous, lol.

also, the iphone button one is the amp iso and it was $74 of garbage...great sound...not sweat resistant. i'm glad i ordered through amazon so i could get my refund for that defective product.

Reactions: Brad.S.

Cab121

Oct 13, 2011
Dallas
Been on the fence about these for months. Now Martha Vectron Stewart has to go put together another helpful, informative, and we'll pointed review.

Shipping says arrival in a few days. :D

Thanks again for taking the time and effort so we can get our gadget fix with upmost class and confidence. Now go find some more toys for us to see. Just don't make the spouse mad it lol.

Reactions: nexicon

Floswen

Jun 20, 2012
Nice
Hi guys, someone knows where I can buy this headset in Europe? I found the HBS-700, but the 730 one isn't commercialized here :(

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Hi guys, someone knows where I can buy this headset in Europe? I found the HBS-700, but the 730 one isn't commercialized here :(

I have the 700's and they are just as good. I've had them for over a year now still running strong. If you have no choice, getting the 700s won't hurt you.

chrischoi

Dec 12, 2010
Mechanicsburg
chrismchoi.blogspot.com
Not much of a difference between the 2. I have the 730. Main thing is one has orange tips and the other is silver.

The only time I get annoyed with this head set is when I forget I leave it on and get a phone call or text. It rings through the headset so I don't hear it.
The second thing is when I lift my arms or shrug, then happen to enclose the dongle portion against my neck and arm or shoulder, the connection cuts out for a moment.
Battery life is top notch. Not gonna beat it.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Been on the fence about these for months. Now Martha Vectron Stewart has to go put together another helpful, informative, and we'll pointed review.

Shipping says arrival in a few days. :D

Thanks again for taking the time and effort so we can get our gadget fix with upmost class and confidence. Now go find some more toys for us to see. Just don't make the spouse mad it lol.

Let me know how it works when it arrives. Mine works pretty good, but then I read reviews on Amazon about HBS700 having no issues while HBS730 cutting off sound while next to the phone. I tested it all over the place at home and work. At home even left it in the kitchen and walked down to the basement where I was still able to hear the music standing at the bottom of stairwell. Wonder if they updated hardware/firmware and shipping new units now?!? I haven't seen any problem with mine.

chrischoi

Dec 12, 2010
Mechanicsburg
chrismchoi.blogspot.com
Let me know how it works when it arrives. Mine works pretty good, but then I read reviews on Amazon about HBS700 having no issues while HBS730 cutting off sound while next to the phone. I tested it all over the place at home and work. At home even left it in the kitchen and walked down to the basement where I was still able to hear the music standing at the bottom of stairwell. Wonder if they updated hardware/firmware and shipping new units now?!? I haven't seen any problem with mine.

Next to it? I've come across multiple 700's and 730's. People I work with have a mix. I hear they have the same issue with it cutting out for a split second when it's enclosed between the neck and arm or any other body part.

kroewe

Feb 24, 2008
My wife and I are both landscapers and we both have been using the 700s for years. We work outside in Arkansas where it is very hot and humid in the summertime and we have very physical jobs. These things rock. They are loud enough to hear music over both lawn equipment and heavy equipment. They are very sweat resistant, mine have lasted 2 summers of over 100f/ over 70% humidity days. They are both comfortable enough and have enough battery to wear and use on some very long days. Have never had an issue with call quality. Both svoice and Google voice search work perfectly. Plus the necklace style is a lot more discreet than most over the ear types, and a hell of a lot more comfortable than some "athletic type" bt headphones (I'm looking at you moto s10's)
The magnets are not overly strong and it is easy to accidently dislodge the ear buds but with the little plastic retaining rings on the cords, that's not a huge issue as they don't tend to get in the way if left dangling.
I would recommend these to anyone looking for a good headset that will be comfortable and durable to stand up to a pretty physical lifestyle.

Cab121

Oct 13, 2011
Dallas

Will do. Gonna use them for work so multiple environments to test daily along with long batteries drain. Anything crops up I'll drop a post about it.

Btw the amazon comments had me completely undecided. So many good and bad comments lol.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

RADLOUNI

Jun 25, 2009
Dubai
Games -> audio delay

Hi have you used it to play a game ? if yes then is the sound synced or are you noticing a delay like all other Bluetooth headsets ? Thanks

21productionz

Feb 12, 2008
I use the 730s for work, gym, and play.

Work- (cabinet maker/installer) I can hear music over tablesaw while cutting 2" thick lumber. And the battery has never died even during a 14 Hr day (granted I probably wasn't listening the entire 14 hours)

Gym- run 3 miles and never notice them while they bounce. Bench and they do slide off neck, but buds stay in ears so they never fall. (will start tucking in collar, thanks)

Play- sound syncs well while watching videos. If I'm listening to music in the car through aux audio and I get a call it routes the call through the headset. When I hang up it routes back to the car.

I will say that every so often I have to rotate them straight (OCD with symmetry) so both sides are hanging evenly on my neck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Brad.S. and vectron

vectron

Apr 23, 2011

Work- (cabinet maker/installer) I can hear music over tablesaw while cutting 2" thick lumber. And the battery has never died even during a 14 Hr day (granted I probably wasn't listening the entire 14 hours)

Gym- run 3 miles and never notice them while they bounce. Bench and they do slide off neck, but buds stay in ears so they never fall. (will start tucking in collar, thanks)

Play- sound syncs well while watching videos. If I'm listening to music in the car through aux audio and I get a call it routes the call through the headset. When I hang up it routes back to the car.

I will say that every so often I have to rotate them straight (OCD with symmetry) so both sides are hanging evenly on my neck.

Great mini-review, thanks! Can you tell me again how it works in the car? For example, you have HBS730 on and paired up with your phone. You get in the car, and are you able to pair up your phone to the car stereo? Mine fails until I turn off headphones (to unpair them), and then it pairs up with my stereo so I can take calls directly in my car. I still never got around to play around with it, but I think as it was mentioned before the only way is to go into your phone setting and turn BT off/on to force pair up with car stereo instead.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Great mini-review, thanks! Can you tell me again how it works in the car? For example, you have HBS730 on and paired up with your phone. You get in the car, and are you able to pair up your phone to the car stereo? Mine fails until I turn off headphones (to unpair them), and then it pairs up with my stereo so I can take calls directly in my car. I still never got around to play around with it, but I think as it was mentioned before the only way is to go into your phone setting and turn BT off/on to force pair up with car stereo instead.

i know wires are a big issue, but i use a tape deck audio output. with bluetooth still turned on connected to my phone. once the audio output is put in, it overrides the bluetooth so you dont hear anything in your headset until you disconnect from audio ouput. i assume if you have a newer car that has an auxiliary port, you can use that. the perk of auxiliary ports is that the sound is crystal clear. but obviously, bluetooth is very convenient...just a thought for anyone who wants to keep their headset and phone paired and just want to quickly get in and out of the car with music still being played without any extra steps. once i take the audio output out of the headphone jack in my note 2, the bluetooth audio is back in my headset.

21productionz

Feb 12, 2008
I use the aux in built into my car. I don't mind plugging a cord in as little as I use it (usually so the kids can hear it) I usually drive while listening on the headphones.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
The BT reception on this model is horrible. Stick with the HBS-700.

Do you have both hbs-730 and hbs-700 to compare from personal experience? Honesty when I hear some of the feedback about hbs-730 I feel like we are talking about two different products lol! I found reception to be very good. I'm not doubting was others saying and see the opinion split 50/50 on that. Just makes me wonder if there was some unofficial change introduced from LG which addressed this issue because unit I have functions perfectly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of LG Tone+ (HBS-730) Stereo Bluetooth headphones with enhanced multimedia and call controls: http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-HBS730

With Note 2 being multimedia powerhouse, at some point you realize that having a wired headset becomes simply inconvenient. Either if you are watching a movie or listening to a music you don't want to be restricted by wires tangling around your phone, and would like to have controls in your hand without reaching out for the phone. Also, if you are enjoying listening to music or working out with your phone as a music source - you want to have a crystal clear stereo sound with all hands on controls while Note 2 is securely hidden out of sight. Oh yeah, and you also might want to use your Note 2 to make phones calls sometime :) Well, HBS-730 does it all and in Great Style!

Let's first start with a design. It's a cleverly designed necklace, something you might have seen in one of those sci-fi movies. My review sample came in white color, although it's also available in black, and I found it to be very discrete with cloth I usually wear to work and outside. This neck strap is made out of memory flex soft rubberized material, it's very light weight (I weighted it on my digital scale to be exact 34g), and sits very comfortable around your neck. You literally forget it's on. Also, the design makes it very convenient to stay on either if you walking or exorcising (more of an incline type), etc. The ends of this neck strap house all the controls, with one side has call/phone control button and volume up/down, as well as on/off switch and covered micro-usb charging port, while the other side has multimedia Play/Pause control button and FF/REW buttons. Every control button is within a comfortable reach and easy to operate without a need to look at it. The headphones are earbuds with a magnetic tip to attach securely to a shaped opening at the end of the neck strap. There are two small plastic rings that can be moved around the flex necklace area to adjust the length of headphone cable when earbuds are in use, and also to help manage cable from dangling when earbuds are not in use. Everything is designed with a high level of ergonomics, from the material to fitment and access to all the controls. Earbuds itself come with 3 sets of silicone tips to ensure a comfortable fitment. You can wear these for an extended period of time without fatigue. Also, AC adapter with micro-usb is included to recharge HBS-730, but any cable could be used since its a universal micro-usb connector. I even tried charging these from my laptop and it worked perfectly since it only requires 400mA of current.

Now, about the actual functionality and performance of these headphones. This was probably the easiest and fastest pair up I ever had, literally took seconds from turning on/off switch and selecting headphones auto-discovered on Note 2. No need for any codes, etc. Regarding endurance, these offer one of the longest lasting rechargeable batteries with 15hr of talk time, 10hr of music play, and a decent 15 days standby time, all that with charging time under 2 hours. I have been using mine for a few days now, and while talking and playing music - there is still plenty of juice left. As for Bluetooth performance, I was able to leave my phone in the kitchen while walking around different rooms on the first floor of the house without any problem. Even went down to the basement, although further away from a stairwell resulted in signal chopping off. I know some people might have high expectations to cover ridiculous wireless distances. I haven't tested straight line max distance yet, although why would I even want to leave my phone 15-20ft away while walking with headphones? :) As to a sound quality, don't expect too much bass. The headphones do offer 3 modes of EQ with Normal, Bass boost, and Treble boost modes. Bass boost mode does make the sound a lot fuller and adds more definition to the bottom end, but don't expect to get your ears rattled while listening to dubstep lol!!! The mids and highs sound super clear and crispy. In no way these have thin sound, it's rich and full, even without exaggerated enhancement of bottom end. Multimedia controls perfectly integrate with Note 2 where you are able to play/stop/pause, skip to next/previous, and even fast forward and rewind. Every control has an audible feedback. Volume has multiple adjustment granularity on top of phone's volume control while playing music. While making calls, I noticed the volume adjustment is actually reflected with a bluetooth volume bar on a screen.

With phones becomes multimedia all-in-one devices, we forget that you can make calls with it too :) That functions flawlessly with a great noise reduction and echo cancellation. I was outside making a call with wind noise around me and the person on the other end heard me crystal clear without any problem. When you receive the call, you get a voice notification about incoming call and a gentle vibration of the neck strap. There is even a feature to have two separate sources paired up with one set of HBS-730 headphones and being able to switch between two devices in call-waiting fashion.

Between how comfortable these to carry without a need for wires or clips or trying to keep earbuds somewhere in the pocket - those are attached magnetically to the neck strap, great sound quality and integrated controls, incredible battery life which is amazing for such integration of functionality, and flawless integration with a phone and switching between calls and multimedia - HBS-730 deserve a definite recommend from me. Oh, also forgot to mention - they also offer text-to-speech option to read your SMS messages (via app from Google play).

Just to get a visual of how these look, here are some pictures I took:

tonehbs730-01_zps176a3fc5.jpg

tonehbs730-02_zpsc5673fd2.jpg

tonehbs730-03_zps31684f81.jpg

tonehbs730-04_zps3b522d58.jpg

tonehbs730-05_zpsea646756.jpg

tonehbs730-06_zps8af3df47.jpg

tonehbs730-07_zps20098841.jpg

tonehbs730-08_zps6d0e9dc5.jpg

tonehbs730-09_zpsed57bc19.jpg

tonehbs730-10_zps2184f4b2.jpg

tonehbs730-11_zps6da23dff.jpg

tonehbs730-12_zps3cf280e7.jpg
    Very nice!
    Would you recommend these for exercise? Both cardio and strength training? (edit: maybe the bluebuds would be best for this. Edit2: it's Monday. I see you mentioned running with them)
    I have a feeling that doing cardio will cause them to bounce all over; but they might have enough weight to stay down. What's your take?
    I read somewhere, and didn't see you mention it that you can answer a phone call by just pulling the headphones out of the magnetic holders. Does that feature work well? Any delay?
    Last Q, what's the warranty like? Headphones with wires like these always have the breaking point near the bud or the base of the wire. Most of my headphones only have one working bud lol

I haven't used it for that long, and I believe we had a number of comments from "which headphones are you using now" thread. Maybe Opasha can chime in? He was using it while exercising. I was outside and actually put them under my t-shirt collar so it stayed discrete. Just around your neck if you jump up/down they will bounce but still stay secure. I would stay for strength straining it would be OK. For cardio, like bike or elliptical it will be fine since you don't bounce too much, but while running treadmill you going to feel the bounce. Again, I hope Opasha will chime in on that. And I should probably modify my review statement form "running" to general "exercising" :)

Regarding, answering the call when you remove them from magnetic holder, I don't believe so. I was outside, walking around with these on and headphones attached to magnetic ends. When I received a call, I put these in my ear and then pressed Call button to answer it. It actually a good thing because you can knock down phones accidentally and will have no choice but to answer the phone if you don't want to ;) This way you have a control to pick it up whenever you want to. As a matter of fact, following are the Calling Controls:

Answer a call - headset will ring and vibrate, briefly press VOL down to stop vibration and pres Call to answer the call

Last number redial - press and hold Call button for 1sec

Voice dial - briefly press Call button to activate handset's voice command menu

End Call - press Call button

Call waiting - press hand hold Call button for 1sec

Call Reject - pres and hold Call button for 1sec when phone rings, and you also get Voice confirmation that Call Rejected

Mic Mute - press and hold Vol Up/down simultaneously for 1 second to mute/unmute (great for conference calls).

PS and bluebuds cost 3x the price of HBS-730? ;)
    Very nice!
    Would you recommend these for exercise? Both cardio and strength training? (edit: maybe the bluebuds would be best for this. Edit2: it's Monday. I see you mentioned running with them)
    I have a feeling that doing cardio will cause them to bounce all over; but they might have enough weight to stay down. What's your take?
    I read somewhere, and didn't see you mention it that you can answer a phone call by just pulling the headphones out of the magnetic holders. Does that feature work well? Any delay?
    Last Q, what's the warranty like? Headphones with wires like these always have the breaking point near the bud or the base of the wire. Most of my headphones only have one working bud lol

you can run and lift with them. they will bounce so all you have to do is wear a shirt that doesn't have a huge collar and stick the neck piece under your collar. it holds them down with no discomfort at all. trust me on this. I've been using mine for years and mainly for the purpose of lifting/cardio. also they don't have any issue with one going out like most Sony headphones. they are also highly sweat resistant. I've drenched them during cardio and they are super easy to dry.

@vectron, great review as always, brother!

i know wires are a big issue, but i use a tape deck audio output. with bluetooth still turned on connected to my phone. once the audio output is put in, it overrides the bluetooth so you dont hear anything in your headset until you disconnect from audio ouput. i assume if you have a newer car that has an auxiliary port, you can use that. the perk of auxiliary ports is that the sound is crystal clear. but obviously, bluetooth is very convenient...just a thought for anyone who wants to keep their headset and phone paired and just want to quickly get in and out of the car with music still being played without any extra steps. once i take the audio output out of the headphone jack in my note 2, the bluetooth audio is back in my headset.