Note 3 rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 - Safe to take Kitkat upgrade?

Search This thread

stonypass

Dec 27, 2012
I have a Verizon Note 3 SM-900V MJE that's on stock Android 4.3 and Kernel 3.4.0

Its been rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 and has downloaded Kitkat 4.4 Software version N900VVRUCNC4

Is it safe for me to take the upgrade with the phone rooted?
If not, should I attempt to un-root with the same version of Kingo, a later version of it or something else before letting the phone take the upgrade?

Do the problems with not being able to write to an SD card still exist?
Is there currently any way around this?

Thanks for all advice

G

GuestK00143

I have a Verizon Note 3 SM-900V MJE that's on stock Android 4.3 and Kernel 3.4.0

Its been rooted with Kingo v1.1.2.1770 and has downloaded Kitkat 4.4 Software version N900VVRUCNC4

Is it safe for me to take the upgrade with the phone rooted?
If not, should I attempt to un-root with the same version of Kingo, a later version of it or something else before letting the phone take the upgrade?

Do the problems with not being able to write to an SD card still exist?
Is there currently any way around this?

Thanks for all advice
If you want to keep root and have the ability to flash back to MJE use this method. If you take the OTA you might be able to keep root but you will not have the option to go back to MJE if you don't like KK. Also if something goes wrong after taking the OTA and you need to Odin back to stock you will most likely loose root because there is no known root method for KitKat 4.4.2 except by the leaked NC2 that I linked you to.
Added: With NC2 you can roll back to MJE and regain root if needed. Also the SD card write is fixed in NC2.

Last edited:

stonypass

Dec 27, 2012
So, if I let the phone take the upgrade I'll still be rooted?

Any chance the upgrade will brick the phone since I'm rooted?

Thinking of taking the upgrade the installing SDFix so I can still write to my SD card.

G

GuestK00143

So, if I let the phone take the upgrade I'll still be rooted?

Any chance the upgrade will brick the phone since I'm rooted?

Thinking of taking the upgrade the installing SDFix so I can still write to my SD card.
From what I have heard the OTA will either install or not, no bricking. There is a big possibility you will loose root taking the OTA. Trust me you are WAY better off with the NC2 leak but that's your choice if you want to take the risk of having root or not. KK 4.4.3 or 4.5 is coming soon and from what I am hearing it's locked down tight. That is all these "updates" are doing is locking the phones down so we can not achieve root anymore. This is the way Verizon, AT&T and Google want it and from the looks of things they will get it sooner than everyone thinks.

gotghost29

Feb 21, 2014
From what I have heard the OTA will either install or not, no bricking. There is a big possibility you will loose root taking the OTA. Trust me you are WAY better off with the NC2 leak but that's your choice if you want to take the risk of having root or not. KK 4.4.3 or 4.5 is coming soon and from what I am hearing it's locked down tight. That is all these "updates" are doing is locking the phones down so we can not achieve root anymore. This is the way Verizon, AT&T and Google want it and from the looks of things they will get it sooner than everyone thinks.

That's what I hear also... this is no good for us power users...

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app