[Q]Write Protection?

Search This thread

cmc_hitran

Apr 1, 2014
The New Desire 816w is quite good a device and I have successfully flashed CWM Recovery & SuperSU. It looks SuperSU is running well and root access have been achieved. I also "successfully" deleted apps shipped with the device and installed google apps by coping files into /system/app and /system/pri-app. But after reboot all apps deleted were reinstated while newly added google apps disappeared. The interesting thing is Superuser.apk is lying in /system/app which I think it's due to flash instalation through recovery. I searched online and found wp_mod.ko might be the problem but I can't find it in /system/lib/modules in my device.

Please help and advise....

xpirt

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 19, 2013
Write protection is enabled on all HTC devices by default.
To disable it you have to flash wp_mod.ko module by flar2 that defeats it or flash a custom kernel.
As there isn't available wp_mod for this device nor custom kernels you might ask @flar2 to look into it and help you or wait for kernel source code.

xpirt

kinghunki

Dec 20, 2009
LanZhou
htcui.com
The New Desire 816w is quite good a device and I have successfully flashed CWM Recovery & SuperSU. It looks SuperSU is running well and root access have been achieved. I also "successfully" deleted apps shipped with the device and installed google apps by coping files into /system/app and /system/pri-app. But after reboot all apps deleted were reinstated while newly added google apps disappeared. The interesting thing is Superuser.apk is lying in /system/app which I think it's due to flash instalation through recovery. I searched online and found wp_mod.ko might be the problem but I can't find it in /system/lib/modules in my device.

Would you please cut the screenshot of the kernel version?

cmc_hitran

Apr 1, 2014
Thanks!:eek:

Write protection is enabled on all HTC devices by default.
To disable it you have to flash wp_mod.ko module by flar2 that defeats it or flash a custom kernel.
As there isn't available wp_mod for this device nor custom kernels you might ask @flar2 to look into it and help you or wait for kernel source code.

xpirt

cmc_hitran

Apr 1, 2014
Screenshot_2014-04-03-15-51-59.png

Would you please cut the screenshot of the kernel version?

bigxie

Nov 14, 2010
Bay Area, CA
www.twitter.com
Flar released a write protection module in original development, but I haven't tried it yet.

I flashed PA's full 4.4.2 gapps over the stock ROM in recovery and it's all good. Have the Play store and services and everything works. Any changes you make in recovery will stick.

Of course, make a backup before attempting this.

Sent from my HTC D816w using Tapatalk

kinghunki

Dec 20, 2009
LanZhou
htcui.com

disable system write protection:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2707378

cmc_hitran

Apr 1, 2014
Yes I flashed gapps instalation zip downloaded via HTC app store and it's working very well:eek:

Flar released a write protection module in original development, but I haven't tried it yet.

I flashed PA's full 4.4.2 gapps over the stock ROM in recovery and it's all good. Have the Play store and services and everything works. Any changes you make in recovery will stick.

Of course, make a backup before attempting this.

Sent from my HTC D816w using Tapatalk