[UPDATE]Official Nexus one Wifi issue thread(every N1 owner should read)

Search This thread

hbkmog

Jul 6, 2010
New York City
I experienced this issue yesterday. Was listening to streaming music on spotify, and shortly after (about a minute) the screen turned off, the music was off. Mind you, I did not change the wifi sleep setting, so this behaviour is expected at some point (although I thought it took much longer for the wifi to actually turn off). However, when I turned the screen back again, the wifi indicator in the notifications bar was still on (it should have been 3G by then). I actually had to close and open spotify again to get it to connect.
Yeah that's the typical symptom of this issue.
No matter how you change the wifi policy setting, it basically behaves the same.

unknownrebelx

Feb 23, 2008
Long Beach
Hey, noob n1 owner here

I just got my n1 last monday (last batch made, AT&T version etc.)

I still have that same problem. I don't know much about flashing kernels nor do I want to root just yet, so I'm staying away from all of that.

I did just install wifi fixer from the market place and in advanced options, it had options called "Nexus One Fix 1" and an alternate "Nexus One Fix 2"

I will try these out and report if it actually works or not.

blablum

Sep 2, 2007
The driver fix does work. I tried it with a Cyanogen nightly. Sent the phone to sleep and the pings kept returning. Tried streaming radio with XiiaLive and the stream didn't drop. However, I'll wait for a final release on Cyanogen or a Modaco with the driver installed.

Anyone else tried the nightly? Did it fix the problem for you? I'm curious to know if this really fixes it.

jose540

Dec 29, 2008
Just a heads up, I installed the cyanogen 7/25 nightly build but I still have the same wifi problem. My particular problem is that wifi loses connection when my nexus goes to sleep.

I'm currently using the wifi fixer app on the second nexus fix. While this doesn't prevent the problem, it helps by resetting your wifi whenever it disconnects.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

G3f

Jun 22, 2010
Wifi fixer

I tried this but it burns battery like crazy, it also has a tendency to go into overdrive and start resetting the wifi every 2 seconds when it can't connect (if the signal is weak etc) which causes some major lag.

I'd rather just connect manually than suffer with that.

hbkmog

Jul 6, 2010
New York City
Just a heads up, I installed the cyanogen 7/25 nightly build but I still have the same wifi problem. My particular problem is that wifi loses connection when my nexus goes to sleep.

I'm currently using the wifi fixer app on the second nexus fix. While this doesn't prevent the problem, it helps by resetting your wifi whenever it disconnects.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
Did you try the 7/22 build? That's the one people reported to have fixed the issue.
Although not very possible, but maybe the pulled the fix from the build?

pwig

Jun 29, 2010
I just bit the bullet and unlocked and flashed my first ROM. Cyanogen RC2 seems to have fixed it. So far "crossing fingers."

Edit: never mind. All that for nothing. Ugh. This wifi problem is a goddamn ****ing joke.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

mindfrost82

Retired Senior Moderator
There's basically two issues going on and it seems to affect different phones.

The issue on GitHub that is fixed by the new kernel/driver is different than the one the OP is talking about.

That issue seems to mostly affect MAC addresses that don't start with 00. The issue with that is that WiFi won't reconnect to an access point after waking the device up.

The issue the OP is talking about is more of a power saving issue. Regardless of the sleep policy, Wifi slows down or stops. It can slow down enough to make streaming music impossible.

The best way to test this is to turn off your cell connection (airplane mode, take out your SIM, etc), then use only WiFi. This way, you're 100% on WiFi without the possibility of it falling back to your cell data connection.

I have a 00 MAC on an At&t N1 and I have this issue.

As someone else said, mine seems to throttle the connection way down and it'll start messing up my streaming radio. I was mostly testing it with the SiriusXM app since I don't think it does as much buffering as Last.FM.

With no SIM in the phone and connected to a Linksys G router, my music would start getting choppy or completely cut out after about 10 minutes or so.

If I ping my phone's IP, it'll make the connection alive again and bring it back to normal speeds. If my XM stream stopped, I can usually ping the IP and it'll start back up again immediately.

If you setup a never-ending ping from your computer, then it should keep the WiFi on the phone from going into its deep power saving mode. I will test this theory today. The downside is that you may not always have a computer to be able to do this.

While the connection may slow down enough to effect streaming radio, it usually never affected my notifications and push mail since that requires small data packets.

So for those of you that say you don't have this issue, please try it in airplane mode or take out your SIM. Then listen to streaming radio (preferrably something that doesn't buffer much) for 10-20 minutes.

Last.FM buffers whole songs, so it might take longer to notice it in that app.

pwig

Jun 29, 2010
00:23
So I guess there is truly no hope for me after all?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

hbkmog

Jul 6, 2010
New York City
There's basically two issues going on and it seems to affect different phones.

The issue on GitHub that is fixed by the new kernel/driver is different than the one the OP is talking about.

That issue seems to mostly affect MAC addresses that don't start with 00. The issue with that is that WiFi won't reconnect to an access point after waking the device up.

The issue the OP is talking about is more of a power saving issue. Regardless of the sleep policy, Wifi slows down or stops. It can slow down enough to make streaming music impossible.

The best way to test this is to turn off your cell connection (airplane mode, take out your SIM, etc), then use only WiFi. This way, you're 100% on WiFi without the possibility of it falling back to your cell data connection.

I have a 00 MAC on an At&t N1 and I have this issue.

As someone else said, mine seems to throttle the connection way down and it'll start messing up my streaming radio. I was mostly testing it with the SiriusXM app since I don't think it does as much buffering as Last.FM.

With no SIM in the phone and connected to a Linksys G router, my music would start getting choppy or completely cut out after about 10 minutes or so.

If I ping my phone's IP, it'll make the connection alive again and bring it back to normal speeds. If my XM stream stopped, I can usually ping the IP and it'll start back up again immediately.

If you setup a never-ending ping from your computer, then it should keep the WiFi on the phone from going into its deep power saving mode. I will test this theory today. The downside is that you may not always have a computer to be able to do this.

While the connection may slow down enough to effect streaming radio, it usually never affected my notifications and push mail since that requires small data packets.

So for those of you that say you don't have this issue, please try it in airplane mode or take out your SIM. Then listen to streaming radio (preferrably something that doesn't buffer much) for 10-20 minutes.

Last.FM buffers whole songs, so it might take longer to notice it in that app.
Actually to be precise. The two problems are like this:

For phones with MAC address starting with non-zero. The issue is wifi policy doesn't work at all no matter how you set it. The wifi will idle/stop when the phone goes to sleep and may not be able to reconnect to wifi when you wake the phone up.
This above problem is most likely fixed by the new driver fix by Broadcom.

On the other hand, the other problem is like you said, power saving mode. And this problem affects almost every phone out there even with the MAC address starts with 00. But what's different here from the first issue is, here the wifi connection is weakened and degraded when the phone goes to sleep because the wifi chip is supposed to save power. That's why you get the choppy sound gradually and stream finally stops. But in the first case, the streaming would usually stop shortly afterwards and there's no response when you ping the phone. I've read that some people have this problem, they can receive email notifications and such during sleep but won't have VOIP ring.

That being said, the power saving mode issue is yet to be fixed. But I think it can be kind of solved through apps like Wifi Fixer because it will keep "waking up", "refreshing" the phone intermittently when the phone's asleep. I think that's the reason why some people reporting wifi fixer works for them, yet some others say no maybe because their MAC address starts with non-zero, which is actually the first problem, thus can't be solved with a work-around.

Also this second problem doesn't seem to affect people that badly because there are also people reporting being able to stream radio for over 30 minutes.

Can you try streaming with other online radio app? Because maybe other apps may keep refreshing data connection, so won't disconnect. Also another way to try this out is logging in an instant messenger app(nimbuzz, ebuddy, etc.), put the phone to sleep on wifi and then send messages to your phone, see if you can receive the messages or not. Email notification is another way to test it out too, although it could be slower and not as responsive.

Last edited:

myboo_1988

Dec 17, 2009
this is my 2nd day ...i try to google the solution ?i guess is hardware problem?
my n1 cannot barely call...each time call the connection will end it after few second...or else it will be fine after 1 -2 hour...can make call and etc...after that the phone start back to normal the signal is full bar but just end it automatically

hbkmog

Jul 6, 2010
New York City
this is my 2nd day ...i try to google the solution ?i guess is hardware problem?
my n1 cannot barely call...each time call the connection will end it after few second...or else it will be fine after 1 -2 hour...can make call and etc...after that the phone start back to normal the signal is full bar but just end it automatically
Sorry pal, your problem doesn't seem to relate to the wifi issue this thread is discussing.

myboo_1988

Dec 17, 2009
the section is dead...no one bother me...sob sob...after root now what warranty also cannot claim arhhhhhhhhh:(

pwig

Jun 29, 2010
I would like to clarify;
Yes I am in the boat where I have the 00 MAC address. So, if I ping my phone using "ping -t" it will reply endlessly. Albeit, the pings are between 120ms and 2500ms, and average around 220ms. Any other device on the WiFi network return pings of less than 1ms but whatever. Anyway, the constant activity keeps the phone connected. If I leave the phone alone for about 10 minutes or so WITH THE SCREEN ON OR OFF, the WiFi connection becomes unresponsive and I have to initiate a manual WiFi restart or I start up a program that uses the internet and it sort of kicks the phone into action, and therefore it reconnects on WiFi (usually with a new IP address, yay) or 3g.
In all fairness, the phone usually finds the WiFi as soon as the screen is turned back on, but why can't it just connect and STAY CONNECTED like every other friggin' device EVER?