[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview for Galaxy S

Search This thread

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Ok, its not Android rom, but which recovery used in ubuntu?
Cant test it now(

It uses CyanogenMod recovery. Essential parts are based on CyanogenMod so that it can be made available on all devices supported by cm team. Its a great strategy as this way they will end up having a chance of having huge amount of users at launch instantly. They won't have to wait for their device to sell. Apps will be developed faster and more through their app store will result in huge money instantly, huge growth without doing anything except using help of open source cm. That's why I love open source, I love cm team and their work. And Sir pawitp's work is the best.

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
i have a question dose the back and home and menu buttons work
(i don't have this device)

Nope, there is no use of those buttons on Ubuntu touch. To go to home swipe from left edge. Swipe from bottom for menu and that also has the back button. Swiping from right will open the last opened app which is still running. And top edge swiping will open settings bar, message bar and all that stuff. Kthnxbai!

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

My experience with the os and conclusion -
The os is extremely smooth when it loads an app and is working properly, it was laggy at some parts like just after boot or when launching an app.
But I couldn't help but notice the extreme smoothness of the camera app and home. I didn't played with it more than 10 mins. Camera app was extremely smooth and was clicking clear pictures and fast. I also noticed that multitasking was working great even though the device has so limited ram.

Its a promising os and I will surely use this on my galaxy s (maybe on my nexus 7 as well) once its fully released.
And kudos to pawitp for porting.

dark_knight35

Jan 15, 2012
AW: [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview for Galaxy S

Yeah I wiped and then installed cm and I got that decryption password message. I rewiped in recovery and it didn't came back. :)

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

No, this isn't an android ROM. This is an entirely different OS. Like u can't use a software made for Linux on windows, same way u can't use kernel made for android for Ubuntu.

But it doesn't need too many changes to make a 4.2.2 kernel work on Ubuntu *looking at porting guide* :)

caravagio

Dec 2, 2009
Timisoara
great for test, but it still has many problems and sometimes laggy like hell... but still it's a great achievement for our beloved device... tnx pawitp

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Do you know the device-manufacturer? I'd like to order one tomorrow. :laugh:

No one knows, canonical said they working with a HUGE SUPPLIER. I guess its Samsung, HTC, Asus or LG! Any other can't be called a huge supplier.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

What about apps , you dont care about them ??

Don't worry about apps, this OS will have the fastest growing app market ever. They have planted the seed for it right.

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok
No, this isn't an android ROM. This is an entirely different OS. Like u can't use a software made for Linux on windows, same way u can't use kernel made for android for Ubuntu.

Technically, it is Android running underneath so that Android hardware drivers can be used. However, you cannot just flash a random kernel because they won't have the proper options and ramdisk for Ubuntu.

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Technically, it is Android running underneath so that Android hardware drivers can be used. However, you cannot just flash a random kernel because they won't have the proper options and ramdisk for Ubuntu.

Well I do not know the exact technical details, I wish I did but i don't [ :( ]. U r the expert and hence the maintainer for sgs.

Top Liked Posts