Verizon LG G2 GPS Fix Solution

Search This thread

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I think the major problem is the compass with my phone. I get solid locks but the later versions of Maps shows various paths (like "4 minutes shorter" etc) and keeps changing my route based off there it thinks I'm going. So when I'm at a stop light, my Maps Arrow starts spinning and changing routes between all the roads at the intersection. I have to mentally drive the right way and let it reroute back to the route it was already on.

The second I stop, my compass starts spinning.

It wasn't really a problem until I went to Boston where the roads are just insane crazy and I really had to rely on my GPS for guidance. Every 15 minute trip would end up being 1 hour just from taking stupid turns and going out of the way.

Steamer86

May 29, 2012
Baltimore
The only "fix" I've found for that^ are recalibration or reboot (neither a good option). Doesn't happen often and the "fix" last for a while. This issue started on KK for me.

Claus72

Jul 10, 2006
Bologna
I have a European D802. I had a lot of problems with my gps. Very slow fix speed and loss gps signal. I have tried al the software fix and, also, all the hardware fix with no success. I have tried a lot of app to improve my gps with no success.
Last month I have discovered that all my problems with gps were due to my apn setting. I had a wrong apn setting and my agps was not working well.
I have set the apt type with "default, supl" and now with "supl" the gps is working perfectly. :D
"supl" is a feature called "Secure User Plane Location", a feature of Assisted GPS.*
I hope that my experience could help someone.
Sorry for my English. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniellogic

Lycidias

I have a European D802. I had a lot of problems with my gps. Very slow fix speed and loss gps signal. I have tried al the software fix and, also, all the hardware fix with no success. I have tried a lot of app to improve my gps with no success.
Last month I have discovered that all my problems with gps were due to my apn setting. I had a wrong apn setting and my agps was not working well.
I have set the apt type with "default, supl" and now with "supl" the gps is working perfectly. :D
I hope that my experience could help someone.
Sorry for my English. :p
How did you Set IT?

reficurg

Dec 16, 2013
I've been trying to solve this as well, started with OTA to KitKat. I should've taken the phone into Verizon for a replacement under warranty but tried the custom ROM way and have had no luck. I think my next step is to take the phone apart at this point, pretty annoying not having GPS.

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
Open her up

Just opened up the back of my phone and did the cardboard paper under the gold spring tab trick and WOW what a difference. I'm getting a lock as soon as I'm done typing the address in. Using Google Maps, no GPS app installed. I think doing that may be the only "true" fix.

Last edited:

MkVsTheWorld

Aug 29, 2010
Baltimore
Just opened up the back of my phone and did the cardboard paper up the gold spring tab trick and WOW what a difference. I'm getting a lock as soon as I'm done typing the address in. Using Google Maps, no GPS app installed. I think doing that may be the only "true" fix.

Are you talking about this gold spring tab (picture is inverted)?

made8atu.jpg

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009

made8atu.jpg

Yes sir, that's it!! Be careful not to bend it back too far. I just used some cardboard off of a cereal box, folded it in half, cut it down to size so that it would fit under the tab and inside the square. When you press your cover back on, it's going to push the tab back down into place and it will have a strong contact point with the piece on the backplate. I'm telling you, my GPS is locking instantly. Not app downloaded and edited files in build.prop or anything. I'm running CloudyfaG3 port btw.

P.S....Once you get done, update us on your results on how it's working for you.

MkVsTheWorld

Aug 29, 2010
Baltimore
Yes sir, that's it!! Be careful not to bend it back too far. I just used some cardboard off of a cereal box, folded it in half, cut it down to size so that it would fit under the tab and inside the square. When you press your cover back on, it's going to push the tab back down into place and it will have a strong contact point with the piece on the backplate. I'm telling you, my GPS is locking instantly. Not app downloaded and edited files in build.prop or anything. I'm running CloudyfaG3 port btw.

P.S....Once you get done, update us on your results on how it's working for you.

I actually tried using a business card and it didn't improve the GPS at all. I also tried electrical tape and still no luck. [emoji20]

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
I actually tried using a business card and it didn't improve the GPS at all. I also tried electrical tape and still no luck. [emoji20]

Sorry it didn't work for you, but it did wonders for me. Did you fold the cardboard in half to make it thick enough to actually push the tab up some? Anyway, here's a video of me doing a screen recording, showing how mine instantly locks. I go through the process of clearing the data and cache from the app to make sure no info is saved and then I turn on GPS and you can see how it instantly finds and locks on to satellites in less than a second. I didn't think about making a before video to compare the time it took to lock on before I did the fix, but I can say it was nowhere near this quick.

Edit: This is my first video ever loaded to Youtube and also my first video ever embedded on XDA, so you may have to go to Youtube and go full screen to see things a little better, until I can figure the ins and outs of uploading and sharing videos to and from there.

Last edited:

Haswell4200

Jul 17, 2014
Just opened up the back of my phone and did the cardboard paper up the gold spring tab trick and WOW what a difference. I'm getting a lock as soon as I'm done typing the address in. Using Google Maps, no GPS app installed. I think doing that may be the only "true" fix.
Can you direct me to that fix?

MkVsTheWorld

Aug 29, 2010
Baltimore
Sorry it didn't work for you, but it did wonders for me. Did you fold the cardboard in half to make it thick enough to actually push the tab up some?

I mainly just stuck with a single layer of a business card because I was afraid that I'd snap that spring. Using a piece of folded cereal cardboard seems like it would be too big and snap the spring. You had no issues?

I tried using a clothes price tag and folding that in half for double thickness. I also did the electrical tape trick mentioned earlier folded in single and double thickness. Each time the spring would go up some. After trying each trick, I'd put everything back together (after ensuring everything snapped in all spots) I'd run a GPS test (using GPS status) after a cold boot both indoors and outdoors. Each time indoors would take 1-2 minutes and outdoors would take 30-60 seconds, which was no improvement.

At this point, I think I'm ready to mail it off to LG for them to fix it. Unless I missed something?

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009

Ok, here's the thing. There isn't a video, or at least I could find one, of a Verizon LG G2 being fixed but it's the same concept. Be careful though because our spring is on the chassis (*see picture posted above with red circle*) and not the backplate on the Verizon model, so it won't be as easy as just replacing the backplate it you happen to break the spring. GO SLOW AND BE VERY CAREFUL!!! This is the video I used though.

Reactions: ousoonerchase

mloeser

Jul 28, 2014
Buffalo
This may be a last resort type of fix, but when I've had problems with the GPS locking on my G2 in the past, I have reverted to a Stock Rom, used maps, or some other GPS app to get a lock, verify its working, then flashed by to my rom of choice. I have done this a few times with success. Worth a try for those who haven't been able to get anything else working.

Reactions: kxs783kms

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
I mainly just stuck with a single layer of a business card because I was afraid that I'd snap that spring. Using a piece of folded cereal cardboard seems like it would be too big and snap the spring. You had no issues?

I tried using a clothes price tag and folding that in half for double thickness. I also did the electrical tape trick mentioned earlier folded in single and double thickness. Each time the spring would go up some. After trying each trick, I'd put everything back together (after ensuring everything snapped in all spots) I'd run a GPS test (using GPS status) after a cold boot both indoors and outdoors. Each time indoors would take 1-2 minutes and outdoors would take 30-60 seconds, which was no improvement.

At this point, I think I'm ready to mail it off to LG for them to fix it. Unless I missed something?

No, I had no issues. As a matter of fact, I recorded that clip last night inside my house and never went outside to get a lock first. I pushed my pin up some before I slid the folded cardboard under it, but you're right, you have to push it up very gently as it seems it can break easily with too much pressure. I can't tell you to go for it, I can just give my experience. By all means, if you feel like shipping it back to LG is your best option, then that's what I think you should do. Sorry this didn't work out for you.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
My GPS just gets goofy. Throwing me blocks away from where I am. Also my Compass is goofed. As soon as I stop, it rotates East... this makes my Google Maps try and reroute.

Older version of Maps was better. The new one that shows alternate routes keeps me running all over. I want to pick a route and stick to it. If I divert, divert me back to my original route.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
My GPS just gets goofy. Throwing me blocks away from where I am. Also my Compass is goofed. As soon as I stop, it rotates East... this makes my Google Maps try and reroute.

Older version of Maps was better. The new one that shows alternate routes keeps me running all over. I want to pick a route and stick to it. If I divert, divert me back to my original route.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

This was my same problem. The GPS in this phone was taking me all over the place one time when I took a trip to Orlando. Luckily I downloaded the route before we left the house, so it served it's purpose as a backup. I don't think the updated GM's is bad, I just think this phone's GPS sucks until you get it fixed. Since I fixed mine, I took a couple of local trips using it and it has diverted me to an alternate route yet.

Haswell4200

Jul 17, 2014
I did the hardware fix and software fix and the gps won't lock at all. Outside and not a cloud in the sky and it doesn't see a single satellite. What else can I do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So after logging a few hundred miles today, I think I have found a sweet spot with the gps.conf... I can't say if this will work for everyone, but with a relatively clear view of the sky I am consistently getting GPS locks >5 seconds, with 18-24 visible satellites and 10-16 satellite lock, resulting in an error margin of 10'-16' at a stand still and 16'-36' at 70mph. It is basically the 24A stock gps.conf file with a handful tweaks.

Attached is a FLASHABLE ZIP of the gps.conf I have been testing all day, it never failed me once and never lost a lock.

vs980_gps_conf_v4.zip

This has same Verizon and US specific settings, so if you are not using the vs980, or are using it on a different carrier or outside the US, or if the above one doesn't seem to help much for you, try the one from Mahdi... it is more generic and seems to work with multiple variants. Well testing it it seemed to be the most reliable and accurate one I found, but still suffered from occasional "lock loss" but very rarely. I tried to find a merger of the two but every attempt seemed to cause more problems than it was worth, it is also below (untouched from the Mahdi thread) and is a flashable ZIP as well.

mahdi_lg_gps_conf.zip

If you do not wish to flash them in recovery, you can extract the /system/etc/gps.conf file from the archive and replace your existing one.

If you test it out, PLEASE comment or PM me with your results and thoughts. Thanks!
    The GPS issue is actually a hardware issue. There is a springy connector on the phone that tries to keep a steady connection to the anttenae strip on the battery cover. It is on the side opposite of the SIM card.

Here is a picture from another XDA thread by JTNiggle that shows the insides of the VZW LG G2.

First picture shows the battery cover and you can see the small square copper connector for the GPS antennae on the right hand side. Second picture shows on the right side of the phone above the battery the little springy copper connector for the GPS sensor on the phone. These are the two areas I used very tiny pieces of electrical tape on to make a solid connection. This has 100% resolved my issue with GPS signals and I have been sporting this change for over a week now. I get a signal lock between 3-7 seconds depending on where I am at (inside or outside) and the days weather. I have done this on a total of 4 phones now and all four phones no longer have GPS signal lock issue. Just make sure you use a non metal tool to pop the battery cover off so it doesn't scratch up the shiny silver bezel strip.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

I have been going back and forth with Verizon and the GPS on my G2. I actually have my third replacement phone waiting for me when I get home. The last rep I spoke with said that it is a known issue that is to be fixed with an upcoming update. I would assume that update to be 4.4.2 but I haven't heard whether or not the GPS is any better in the leaked OTA. He did tell me that they have received the update from LG but it was currently being tested.

I honestly don't think all the software updates in the world would fix this problem. It is a physical hardware issue that is causing the problem.
    Optimal gps.conf file

Hello Guys,

I've suffered from some of the GPS problems for a couple of days now and it led me to edit the original gps.conf file from the LP 5.0.1.
    It now locks super fast (<10 sec cold) and <30 sec after full gps xtra reset.

I hope it will work for you too.

(change .txt to .conf and set with 0644 permission and owner:gps)
    GPS.CONF - Part 1

First off, some good tips and pointers are here and here

This is my part 1 posting... it is just information and looking for feedback at the moment, testing and custom gps.conf will come later in part 2.

So I have found some "inconsistencies" in the GPS.conf file from stock to other android ROMs... of all the AOSP/CM/AOKP builds I checked, only ParanoidAndroid is running the stock GPS.conf, all others have some inconsistencies, some of which are inconsequential, others I don't know, here are major inconsistencies I found...

XTRA_SERVER entries - QUERY specifically set to 0 in all non-stock ROMs, in stock there is no settings (meaning it should be 0) but the servers are listed. Query flag should be inconsequential, it is noted as a test flag, but XTRA has to do with timing and A-GPS data, servers are consistent across all files. Interesting that some other devices point the first few server entries to area specific pool.ntp.org time servers instead of the defaults.

NTP_SERVER - most non-stock ROMs use time.gpsonextra.net for time settings, should work fine, but using a closer host is better, PA and Stock use north-america.pool.ntp.org, using this server (or us.pool.ntp.org) should speed up GPS lock, but either entry should work, multiple entries could speed up the lock as well, but no G2 GPS.conf I looked at had multiple entries but several other devices use multiple entries based on location.

DEBUG_LEVEL - Set to 2 or 3 in most non-stock ROMs, 5 in PA & Stock. This shouldn't matter, I think, not sure how the phone uses the DEBUG messages though.

CAPABILITIES - this setting is all over the place, stock is 0x31, meaning SCHEDULING, ON_DEMAND_TIME, and GEOFENCE/ULP are active, many custom roms have this set to 0x37, adding MSB and MSA, some to 0x33, adding MSB, and AOKP using 0x17 (all except GEOFENCE/ULP) (. I can't really find an explanation of what these do or mean, but capabilities seems significant... If anyone more familiar could chime in here I would appreciate it.

SUPL - These settings deal with Secure User Plane Location architecture, it is used to supplement data information on satellites, basically to get the timing and positioning information via IP rather than the satellite data stream, it requires a data connection. This is disabled in the stock profiles, but enabled in most AOSP/CM ROMs, as it should be, interesting to note that AOKP has this set to v1 where all other ROMs use v2. Some ROMs use port 7275 and others 7276. It is said this will not work without the file /system/etc/SuplRootCert being in place with a valid certificate, interesting that some ROMs I looked at did not have this file. You can create your own with these instructions. I need to do some more research here though, as it is noted that TLS is not needed anymore in some forums. BTW, SUPL directly conflicts with C2K PDE and both should not be enabled simultaneously.

LPP_PROFILE - In stock this is 3 (Enable both LPP_User_Plane and LPP_Control_Plane) and in AOSP/CM is 0 (Enable RRLP on LTE). I had a hard time finding what this does, but on several Reddit threads it was noted that this is important on the G2 and should be set to 3 for all ROMs to get consistent GPS signal.

NMEA_PROVIDER - Stock is 1 (Modem Processor), AOSP/CM is 0 (Application Processor). This seems important, the NMEA data stream is the positioning information provided to apps.

It is also interesting to note that ACCURACY_THRES is not defined in any G2 device, meaning all messages will be processed irregardless of accuracy, which could in theory throw off GPS position for poor signal or accuracy references, on many devices this is set and can be all over the place, from 50 to 5000.

Any comments, corrections, or more info on this information could be great.

Anyway, I will be doing some testing with these values and trying to make a better, faster, smarter gps.conf file over the next few days... I will let you all know and pass on any information I get.

made8atu.jpg