Worth using as a full fledged tablet?

Search This thread

lanzagas

Apr 20, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I had to install ADB.

For the casual user ADB installation and use is far from simple and for using it one every so many months is a real pain.

I hope BN upcoming NC update will make all this unnecessary.

LongbowFoSho

Sep 17, 2010
I've always avoided ADB, and it looks like I will need to know what it is to root the NC and have full functionality. Someone explain please.

Sent from my Incredible with the XDA Premium App.

You do NOT have to use ADB for anything. I've never used it and I've been on rooted stock, a different version of Froyo (not found here) and now CM7 with absolutely zero use of ADB.

All you need to get started is use WinImage or Win32DiskImager to write the image to the SD card, boot it and you're done.

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I had to install ADB.

For the casual user ADB installation and use is far from simple and for using it one every so many months is a real pain.

I hope BN upcoming NC update will make all this unnecessary.
Lol... I guess i'm not the average user, I just assume most have worked in MS-Dos before and can run a command line program should they need too.

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
adb is not hard. the drivers can possibly be a pain, but adb is extremely simple and very well documented around here.

As always - If you want to take advantage of your hardware, you will have to spend the hour to learn these very basic hacking procedures.

lanzagas

Apr 20, 2011
You do NOT have to use ADB for anything. I've never used it and I've been on rooted stock, a different version of Froyo (not found here) and now CM7 with absolutely zero use of ADB.

All you need to get started is use WinImage or Win32DiskImager to write the image to the SD card, boot it and you're done.

I agree with you ADB is not always necessary... And honestly unless you are going to use it often I would avoid it just because the pain that is to set it up and remember the commands when you use it once in a while.

In my case I was setting the NC to use CM7 from a SD without rooting. I used these fantastic instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

But on my PC WIN7 x64 the steps that are required to install GAAP didn't work for me because the PC can't read de uSD once is formatted by the CM7 installer, so I had to use ADB and these instructions: http://www.nookdevs.com/Honeycomb_Google_Apps_and_Market
and installed ADB using these instructions:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

dsf3g

Mar 31, 2009

Agreed. I've rooted my NC with Autonooter, cutomized it a fair bit, installed the Amazon Market, and even disabled OTA all without the need for ADB.

RootExplorer and Sqlite editor are the most exotic tools I've used.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
No, i wouldn't say it is difficult at all. To root the stock OS, you need about 10-15 min of free time. After that, you can flash CM7 (which is of course pre-rooted) or Froyo (if you like old OS's) without any trouble.

poppscc

Dec 6, 2009
With the galaxy wifi only coming in @ 350, it's a real alternative to the nook. Native froyo, Bluetooth, front and rear cameras, and a mic. Definitely worth the premium IMO.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
With the galaxy wifi only coming in @ 350, it's a real alternative to the nook. Native froyo, Bluetooth, front and rear cameras, and a mic. Definitely worth the premium IMO.

Given that we have CM7, "native froyo" is meaningless. We have BT (again, with the better CM7). Yes, we lack cameras , and the mic, but in no way is that worth $100. One might argue the GPS is perhaps worth that, but that still is debatable...

I Am Marino

Mar 13, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Given that we have CM7, "native froyo" is meaningless. We have BT (again, with the better CM7). Yes, we lack cameras , and the mic, but in no way is that worth $100. One might argue the GPS is perhaps worth that, but that still is debatable...

I don't see GPS, camera, and a mic worth $100, I still have my phone

poppscc

Dec 6, 2009

sure, it's not worth it to you, but sure as hell worth it to me. I dont need the cameras, but the mic is a nice touch for the google services. BT would work 100% rather than partially. Froyo is better than an almost done CM7.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
sure, it's not worth it to you, but sure as hell worth it to me. I dont need the cameras, but the mic is a nice touch for the google services. BT would work 100% rather than partially. Froyo is better than an almost done CM7.

Uh... sorry, but CM7 reached stable several days ago. Yes, work goes on with even more improvments, but CM7 is done (and better than Froyo.. let go of the outdated OS people....).

And the only thing my BT does not do is the headset profile. Other than that, i can use GPS just fine, headphones just fine, etc...

poppscc

Dec 6, 2009
Uh... sorry, but CM7 reached stable several days ago. Yes, work goes on with even more improvments, but CM7 is done (and better than Froyo.. let go of the outdated OS people....).

And the only thing my BT does not do is the headset profile. Other than that, i can use GPS just fine, headphones just fine, etc...

sure, cm7 is stable, and at the same time there are still battery issues. So in conclusion, Nook froyo has sleep of death issues, on top of no bt. CM7 has battery issues and bad battery life in general, and partially working bt.

Until those issues are resolved, the samsung tab has a clear advantage. Mic, working bt, front and rear cameras, gps, and all the buttons. Worth the 100 bux, but not too much more. many got the NC for 200 flat, which is a totally different price point compared to 350.

lanzagas

Apr 20, 2011
I don't have a Galaxy Tab but I read some reviews where people who had both said that the NC had a far better screen. For me that alone is a deal breaker but I'd like to experience it first hand.

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011

Guess you haven't seen the quandrant scores from the CM7 threads =\... whatever, if you want to buy inferior hardware/software (less of the gpu I admit) for $100-150 more. Go ahead =D.

But chances are good that if you're on these forums, it's because you don't mind getting your hands dirty. I've only really had to use ADB for one thing, and that was gapps. Other then that, root explorer is more than enough to install programs from there, or edit files.

If people are to stupid to learn a couple of commands, then they shouldn't be playing with this stuff... I don't claim to be a genius by any stretch of the imagination, but I gladly spent the few hours learning how to get my nook color setup without asking anyone to hold my hand.

So if a camera and bluetooth(talking is the only advantage here) are what you really need in a device, get the more expensive tab. If you're like everyone else who has a camera and a cell phone and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty; buy the nook.

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
sure, cm7 is stable, and at the same time there are still battery issues. So in conclusion, Nook froyo has sleep of death issues, on top of no bt. CM7 has battery issues and bad battery life in general, and partially working bt.

Until those issues are resolved, the samsung tab has a clear advantage. Mic, working bt, front and rear cameras, gps, and all the buttons. Worth the 100 bux, but not too much more. many got the NC for 200 flat, which is a totally different price point compared to 350.

Battery issues and bad battery life in general? You clearly don't have a nook w/ cm7 installed. As you're trying to convince people there are two big problems in CM7.

CM7 has one problem with battery, it doesn't go into as deep of a sleep as Stock. That's it. Meaning when you're not using the Nook color, it's using more battery than the stock os would.

CM7 dies at a rate of about 1-2% an hour, while not being used.

Stock dies at something like... 0.2-0.5% an hour.

This only applies when you push the power button to put them to sleep, when you're actually using them... They both use the same battery amount! So if you're watching a movie on stock, you're not using any less of the battery then you would on CM7.

If you have a problem charging your device at night, then electronics probably aren't for you at all... =\

Reactions: Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I was under the impression CM7 was the best the NC can offer.

You are correct in that impression. yes, you generally have to slap the NC on the charger at night, as caused by the non deep sleep. Thats it. Video is working great, 3D is better than ever, we have decent bluetooth, and a very fast and stable system overall. People saying otherwise are either:

using crappy SD cards that cause the system to be unstable

haven't tried the official release and don't know what they are talking about.

Do i want battery life to improve? You bet your sweet arse i do! Is it a problem big enough to make me give up ALL the other bonuses? HELL no.

Reactions: Gin1212

poppscc

Dec 6, 2009
Battery issues and bad battery life in general? You clearly don't have a nook w/ cm7 installed. As you're trying to convince people there are two big problems in CM7.

CM7 has one problem with battery, it doesn't go into as deep of a sleep as Stock. That's it. Meaning when you're not using the Nook color, it's using more battery than the stock os would.

This only applies when you push the power button to put them to sleep, when you're actually using them... They both use the same battery amount! So if you're watching a movie on stock, you're not using any less of the battery then you would on CM7.

If you have a problem charging your device at night, then electronics probably aren't for you at all... =\
according to your figures, it's a huge difference. it's literally 4-5 times the difference in battery drain. There is a noticable battery difference between froyo and cm7. I typically get 4-5 on cm7 and 5-6 on froyo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "@I Am Marino"
    One use you didn't mention much was as an eBook reader - I am surprised how much
    I am enjoying the NC as my first eBook reader. ePub fromat works well, PDF so-so.
    I use FBreader for ePub and Repligo mainly for PDF.

On PC/MAC/Linux end, Calibre an open source eBook library management tool is great.
    http://calibre-ebook.com/

Nook is a fun device, because it boots 'first' from a bootable uSD card, you don't have
    to worry about bricking device, so less worry about trying new versions of Android
    on it too.

Good luck,
    Peter

I was under the impression CM7 was the best the NC can offer.

You are correct in that impression. yes, you generally have to slap the NC on the charger at night, as caused by the non deep sleep. Thats it. Video is working great, 3D is better than ever, we have decent bluetooth, and a very fast and stable system overall. People saying otherwise are either:

using crappy SD cards that cause the system to be unstable

haven't tried the official release and don't know what they are talking about.

Do i want battery life to improve? You bet your sweet arse i do! Is it a problem big enough to make me give up ALL the other bonuses? HELL no.
    Lol... I guess i'm not the average user, I just assume most have worked in MS-Dos before and can run a command line program should they need too.
    huh. some of us grew up when DOS was still the killer app of the day. our first family "laptop" was the size of an overnight suitcase...