[GUIDE] How to root a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (SM-T217S)

Search This thread

Justin Buser

Apr 8, 2009
There are a couple other guides on here but they are mostly just links to videos or ad infested download links and none of them worked for me so this is how I ended up getting it to work. Everything I used is attached

For the more experienced readers it's simple, flash TWRP using Odin, boot into recovery and TWRP will prompt you to root.

For the only slightly experienced:

Boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device)
Unzip the TWRP Recovery Image after downloading it below.
Connect your tablet to your PC, unzip and run Odin, click the PDA button and select the TWRP md5 file you just unzipped.
Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery)

Once in TWRP if you select the reboot option under advanced you should be prompted to root your device if it's not already rooted. If that doesn't happen for some reason you can use adb to sideload the SuperSU zip I've attached, or put it on an sd card and find the flash zip from sdcard option in TWRP to flash it.

Attachments

• Odin307.zip
    456.2 KB · Views: 27,994
  • SuperSU-v1.93.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 39,504
  • TWRP-2.6.3.0-recovery.tar.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 51,737
Last edited:

wsigo

Jun 24, 2009
Thanks Justin! Works great. Someone should sticky this.

Luckily I had a Windows computer I could use for this, but my main machine is a MacBook Pro. I wish someone would do a nice clear walkthrough like this one for using Heimdall on a Mac.

firedroidguy

May 13, 2011
St Louis
To start I have rooted many phones but am stumped on this tablet. After getting it to start with holding the volume down and power key it stops on the downloading screen. Once I can get it to reboot I held the volume up and power key and got into system recovery. If I am not mistaken I can boot from here also. Right??

yort1992

Apr 1, 2014
Thanks!!!

There are a couple other guides on here but they are mostly just links to videos or ad infested download links and none of them worked for me so this is how I ended up getting it to work. Everything I used is attached

For the more experienced readers it's simple, flash TWRP using Odin, boot into recovery and TWRP will prompt you to root.

Connect your tablet to your PC, unzip and run Odin, click the PDA button and select the TWRP md5 file you just unzipped.
Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery)

Once in TWRP if you select the reboot option under advanced you should be prompted to root your device if it's not already rooted. If that doesn't happen for some reason you can use adb to sideload the SuperSU zip I've attached, or put it on an sd card and find the flash zip from sdcard option in TWRP to flash it.

Thanks for the help! This is my first root I've done myself and it works like a charm. Now my next step is to flash it to any carrier. Does anyone know how to flash the sprint device to a different carrier? If anyone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

colt223

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for this. I finally got a couple Galaxy Tab 3's (One 210 and one 217) to upgrade my girls from their Kindle Fires.
Really needed this root to remove all the factory loaded crap.
Thanks.

slickdealers

Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for this. I finally got a couple Galaxy Tab 3's (One 210 and one 217) to upgrade my girls from their Kindle Fires.
Really needed this root to remove all the factory loaded crap.
Thanks.

I just recently got this tablet from a deal sprint had. What version was your tablet on before rooting? Right now mine is on 4.2.2, but there is an update out. I dont want to update if it wont work with this root.

colt223

Sep 18, 2012
I just recently got this tablet from a deal sprint had. What version was your tablet on before rooting? Right now mine is on 4.2.2, but there is an update out. I dont want to update if it wont work with this root.

I believe it was on 4.2.2 when I rooted. I will have to double-check that when I get home tonight.
What model number do you have? I had to use a different TWRP download for each one of mine, meaning I had to find a different one for the 210.

Reactions: slickdealers

slickdealers

Nov 1, 2012
I believe it was on 4.2.2 when I rooted. I will have to double-check that when I get home tonight.
What model number do you have? I had to use a different TWRP download for each one of mine, meaning I had to find a different one for the 210.

My model number is T217S. I tried to do some extra googling and came up with a post saying that the update after 4.2.2 installed KNOX on their tablet, which made their tablet come up with errors when trying to root. Based on your answer and what I found, I'm assuming I'm alright to give it a try. I do have one other question though. After rooting do you know if it would be possible to unroot incase I have to go back to Sprint with a problem?

colt223

Sep 18, 2012
My model number is T217S. I tried to do some extra googling and came up with a post saying that the update after 4.2.2 installed KNOX on their tablet, which made their tablet come up with errors when trying to root. Based on your answer and what I found, I'm assuming I'm alright to give it a try. I do have one other question though. After rooting do you know if it would be possible to unroot incase I have to go back to Sprint with a problem?

I am honestly not sure about going back, but I have had no problems. In fact, when I booted after root, something (sorry I dont remember if it was during root, or after) asked me if I wanted to disable Knox. I said yes, and smooth sailing ever since. I think it might have been the super user app itself that disabled it for me.

Reactions: slickdealers

slickdealers

Nov 1, 2012
I am honestly not sure about going back, but I have had no problems. In fact, when I booted after root, something (sorry I dont remember if it was during root, or after) asked me if I wanted to disable Knox. I said yes, and smooth sailing ever since. I think it might have been the super user app itself that disabled it for me.

Just tried it and successfully rooted! I got the same message that you described about Knox. It appears when you go to update SuperSu. Thank you for the help!

For anyone else wondering about going back to stock, I found a thread to the stock firmware.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512172

Mr_Ada

Dec 26, 2013
Didn't work for me

I did the TWRP stuff and all it did was trigger that warranty bit. Still no root.

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T

Yeah, same story here. After flashing TWRP then installing SuperSU first via the TWRP option by booting directly to recovery before OS after flashing TWRP through odin.....then once I clicked the SuperSU app after the OS loaded I chose first the "play" option to update SuperSU then the TWRP option to install the binary update. When it next booted it informed me that Knox was installed and asked whether to disable or not..I said yes and haven't had any problems at all...just trying to find a good ROM now^^

Reactions: majjhima
Jun 1, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S9
Root Failure, odd case

I have twins - they are both, identically:

Software Version: T217VPUAMH9
Hardware Version: T217S.04
Model Number: SM-T217S
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband Version: T217SVPUAMH9
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-1458241
Build Number: JDQ39.T217SVPUAMH9

Jim Trotter III-style, I-DENTICAL!

I successfully rooted one with:

1: Enable debugging
2: Boot into Download Mode (from poweroff, hold Vol Down+Power)
3: terminal: sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY ./T217S.TWRP2.7.0.0.flashable/recovery.img
4: poweroff ; boot to TWRP. From TWRP, wipe [factory reset], then install: ./root/SuperSU-v1.93.zip

With the second (apparently evil) twin, at the heimdall command, I get:

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
0%
ERROR: Failed to send file part packet!
ERROR: RECOVERY upload failed!

Ending session...
ERROR: Failed to receive session end confirmation!
Releasing device interface...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

On the device, the blue progress bar grows to about 2% and stops.

I even tried using a different cable in case one had gone wonky, to no avail.

I am at a total loss here.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S9
... and SUCCEED, but via strangeways

So, mounting frustration.

I tried instead a slightly different version of TWRP:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery/T217S.TWRP.2.7.0.0.recovery/recovery.tar.md5

This time the result is different, but still no success:

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
Please be patient!

Session begun.

Uploading RECOVERY
100%

... but it stuck at 100% and did not continue. Device also stuck.
^C, hard reboot of device.

Tried again to double check, same result - sticks at 100%, progress bar on device sticks at somewhere around 5%.

Aware of the possible futility, but bored, I tried first one again:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY ./T217S.TWRP2.7.0.0.flashable/recovery.img

SUCCEED.

So, apparently it has to be "knocked loose"?

Dunno. I'm in. Hope this helps someone else.

twynn

Mar 10, 2009
Root NB8

This won't work with NB8 EDIT: I was wrong this does work on NB8

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Excellent

Thank you very much for these directions, I have rooted before but was having trouble with this device.. Your method/files worked perfectly, as others have said previously this should be stickied! I particularly enjoyed your ingenious suggestion to hold Vol Up when pushing start in Odin :good: Just for clarification- 100% confirmed working root on T217S with 4.4.2 and NH4, I checked for OTA updates before rooting and this works flawlessly with current updates (as of 12/14/14)! After installing TWRP, I was NOT prompted to root when rebooting but ended up installing fine through TWRP, with no need to install any development kits. To help the 'slightly experienced' users you mention and get around the lack of prompt for root on reboot, I've revised your instructions a bit - feel free to include any/all with no credit necessary.. Just trying to help, and show appreciation! ;)

@mediaaccount did you get into TWRP? You probably just need to sideload SuperSU as stated by OP

Download the attached files, extract Odin and TWRP. (You should have a folder named Odin0307, a recovery.tar.md5 file, and a SuperSU-v1.93.zip file before continuing)

Connect your tablet to PC, copy SuperSU-v1.93.zip to the root directory, and disconnect tablet.

Turn tablet off, then boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device, then press Vol Up at warning screen)

Connect your tablet to PC, open Odin3 v3.07.exe, click the PDA button, and select the recovery.tar.md5 file.

Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery) After a few seconds, you will be in TWRP and you can release the Volume Up button.

*OPTIONAL* Although not necessary for root, I'd highly recommend creating a backup ASAP (BEFORE rooting)! Touch BACKUP, then swipe to backup. After backup has completed (mine took ~6 minutes total) press the back button twice to get back to TWRP main screen.

Tap INSTALL, tap SuperSU-v1.93.zip, then swipe to confirm flash.

After your device reboots, open your new SuperSU app and it will prompt you to remove KNOX, allow it to attempt (it will succeed) and restart your device.

SuperSU will push a notification that the binaries need to be updated, select normal mode (Doing through ADB is unnecessary on this device) and restart one last time.

Your tab is now fully rooted, download Root Checker Basic to verify :highfive:

I did not have enough space on SD card, so I backed up to internal and then copied it to my computer to free up the tab's space again. Thanks again Justin, much appreciated :D
    Do this method work on 4.4.2

Yes. ODIN, TWRP, SU.zip work on KK

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Just tried it and successfully rooted! I got the same message that you described about Knox. It appears when you go to update SuperSu. Thank you for the help!

For anyone else wondering about going back to stock, I found a thread to the stock firmware.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512172
    ... and SUCCEED, but via strangeways

So, mounting frustration.

I tried instead a slightly different version of TWRP:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery/T217S.TWRP.2.7.0.0.recovery/recovery.tar.md5

This time the result is different, but still no success:

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    Claiming interface...
    Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
    Claiming interface again...
    Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
    Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
    Please be patient!

Session begun.

Uploading RECOVERY
    100%

... but it stuck at 100% and did not continue. Device also stuck.
    ^C, hard reboot of device.

Tried again to double check, same result - sticks at 100%, progress bar on device sticks at somewhere around 5%.

Aware of the possible futility, but bored, I tried first one again:

$ sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY ./T217S.TWRP2.7.0.0.flashable/recovery.img

SUCCEED.

So, apparently it has to be "knocked loose"?

Dunno. I'm in. Hope this helps someone else.