[Q] Refurb T999, appears to have been rooted and flashed

Search This thread

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
So there are custom roms that are zips instead of .tars on this forum, then?

Or Can Philz flash a .tar?

I'll look for a custom rom zip out there for my phone.

Yes, most of the ROMs that are found in: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-t-mobile/development are in a .zip container rather than a .tar and flashable in a custom recovery, such as Philz.

One other suggestion, after you get root properly working, make sure to backup your IMEI by opening a terminal app (found on Google play) and type the following command:

su reboot nvbackup

Your phone will reboot and backup all necessary data.

You might also benefit from reading the following threads:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1900345
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2145521

The first thread is a bit outdated but still has good information in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: flipster64

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Hmmmm ... in addition, when I tried to use Odin to flash DocHoliday's official one (after flashing the UVUEMJC modem), I still get:

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_TMO_T999UVUEMJC.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

The phone says (on the download screen) SECURE CHECK FAIL : sbl2

You know, right before that, it says QUALCOM SECUREBOOT ENABLE .... don't know if that is a feature that is locking something.

the build.prop file does have the d2tmo properties now instead of d2can .... and the region is US and language en, as opposed to CN and vl in the old one. So ... it looks like it SHOULD be MORE friendly to my carrier... not less.

Sim works fine in my HTC G2 (with micro adapter). Just stopped working in the S3 after the update.

Last edited:

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Yes, most of the ROMs that are found in: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-t-mobile/development are in a .zip container rather than a .tar and flashable in a custom recovery, such as Philz.

One other suggestion, after you get root properly working, make sure to backup your IMEI by opening a terminal app (found on Google play) and type the following command:

su reboot nvbackup

The first thread is a bit outdated but still has good information in it.

Hmmm... missed this. I do have the IMEI ... and I did do a CM backup a few days ago....

I suppose this is why I was supposed to do that.

Sigh.

Let's see if I can restore it.

Last edited:

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
I flashed a 4.3 ROM from here according to these directions:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46872485&postcount=2&nocache=1&z=69548066239804

booted up ... but for some reason it won't recognize my sim? Same one it's been using the last two weeks?

Anybody run into this?

Did you flash the modem the ROM's post says is a prerequisite?

Prerequisites:

Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-T999
Root and Custom Recovery Installed
T999UVUEMJ4 Modem http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23196940996969671
ROM File
Knowledge of what you're doing
Patience

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Yes. Flashed the J4 modem since it was linked, then the ROM, and booted.

It behaved like an upgrade. Matter of fact, it said it was upgrading android as it booted. And it kept all of my apps and my wallpaper, which I did not expect. I have WiFi, just no network (it says to insert a sim, which was already inserted.) So for the time being it's back in my HTC so I have a cell phone while I figure more stuff out.

After that, since the rom was based off a release with JC at the end of the modem name, I then flashed that modem, which made no difference, but that was in the instructions to flash DocHoliday's tar via Odin ... which still wouldn't flash.

I need to find out if IMEI is the issue ... they moved Phone Status in 4.3 ... having trouble finding it to see if it even has the same IMEI. Not sure how that works. If that is the problem, there is a tool out there to generate a new one using your IMEI number. But like I said I'm not sure that's the issue.

Is the IMEI embedded in the modem, or a file the modem uses?

The other question is ... can this be completely wiped from CM and flashed to a 4.1.2 image now? I'd read somewhere you can't go back, but it might've had something to do with Knox, which is supposedly removed from this ROM.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Found the status information. And I think the problem is the linking to the radio .... Baseband Version UNKNOWN

Also says IMEI Unknown, and IMESV UNKNOWN.

So it COULD be IMEI.

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
I'd try doing a clean install before messing with your IMEI. If it comes down to it I'll pm you a link to what you need to fix your IMEI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

I'd try doing a clean install before messing with your IMEI. If it comes down to it I'll pm you a link to what you need to fix your IMEI.

Side note, make sure to follow the IMEI backup instructions I posted once that is sorted out

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Oh yeah, I'll definitely be backing up the IMEI once it's all working again.

One thing I'm NOT sure of I'd be willing to try is to go back to the CM backup if going back from 4.3 to 4.1.2 won't brick the phone, get it working again the way I had it working yesterday, back up my IMEI, and maybe try a 4.1.2 tmo stockmod after that just to get WiFi calling. 4.3 looks really nice, though :) Maybe an upgrade after THAT would be more ... smooth.

One day, I'd like to find someone to "sit down" with and go over "pictures" of basic architecture here and generally where these pieces fit.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

Side note, make sure to follow the IMEI backup instructions I posted once that is sorted out

By "clean install" do you mean go back and flash the modem, then flash the ROM again? Or try a stock ROM with CM? Odin doesn't want to flash any ROMs ... I get that sbl2 permissions error.

Is the IMEI stored in the files that get flashed by CM, or does the ROM pick it up from somewhere else that isn't affected by the flash?

If the IMEI is stored in the ROM itself, then my guess is it's "gone" unless I can safely restore my CM 4.1.2 backup. If that's something that can be done without bricking, that seems to me to be the safest way to get it back and back it up. Otherwise, I've generated a new IMEI file using my IMEI number from the phone itself and that tool I mentioned.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
If the IMEI is stored in the ROM itself, then my guess is it's "gone" unless I can safely restore my CM 4.1.2 backup. If that's something that can be done without bricking, that seems to me to be the safest way to get it back and back it up. .

It's warnings like the second one on this page that concern me:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282603

DO NOT flash this if you are running latest 4.3 (*MJC) firmware. It WILL brick your device. Currently there is NO way to downgrade from MJC firmware without a brick due to the Knox security stuff added to that firmware release.

That's why I'm hesitant to restore my 4.1.2 CM backup. Knox is supposedly removed from the *MJC firmware I flashed so it may not be an issue.

Last edited:

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
By "clean install" do you mean go back and flash the modem, then flash the ROM again? Or try a stock ROM with CM? Odin doesn't want to flash any ROMs ... I get that sbl2 permissions error.

Is the IMEI stored in the files that get flashed by CM, or does the ROM pick it up from somewhere else that isn't affected by the flash?

If the IMEI is stored in the ROM itself, then my guess is it's "gone" unless I can safely restore my CM 4.1.2 backup. If that's something that can be done without bricking, that seems to me to be the safest way to get it back and back it up. Otherwise, I've generated a new IMEI file using my IMEI number from the phone itself and that tool I mentioned.

Clean flash meaning, making sure the ROM is still on your sd card, going into recovery, wiping the system, data, cache and dalvik partitions. Afterwards, flash the ROM. Keep in mind that this deletes everything so, make sure to backup anything important on your phone.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Ok, clean install done. Blew everything away with CM beforehand. Asked me for my google account and wifi password.

But still no baseband or IMEI.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Would it be safe to restore my old CM backup of the 4.1.2 mod that came on the phone?

And if so, would the IMEI file(s) still be in the backup? Or do you think there's a way to inject my generated IMEI into the current clean install of 4.3?

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
Would it be safe to restore my old CM backup of the 4.1.2 mod that came on the phone?

And if so, would the IMEI file(s) still be in the backup? Or do you think there's a way to inject my generated IMEI into the current clean install of 4.3?

Yeah it sounds like it is an IMEI issue then. You should be and to restore your old backup. It won't have the IMEI in it but it will tell us if it's a problem with the ROM you choose or if your IMEI was corrupted.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Well, here goes nothin'.....

Not sure ... does a CM backup backup the modem and everything, or am I probably going to have to flash a TMD5 modem, too?

It's currently restoring.

flipster64

May 10, 2012
Columbia, MO
Yup.

It's an IMEI problem. :(

So ... now I have to figure out how to put it back. I've generated one using that SG3 IMEI program.

I wonder if there's a chance the previous owner backed it up. There's a folder I read it creates. Need to go find that again. Not holding my breath.

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
Yup.

It's an IMEI problem. :(

So ... now I have to figure out how to put it back. I've generated one using that SG3 IMEI program.

I wonder if there's a chance the previous owner backed it up. There's a folder I read it creates. Need to go find that again. Not holding my breath.

I'm going to upload some tools with instructions that will help. I'll PM you the link when I'm done.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Alright, PM sent. That should get you taken care of. Once you get it fixed, make sure to follow the instructions in my original post regarding IMEI backup. Following that procedure should prevent it from getting corrupted again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It was probably rooted and then the root was lost somehow.

Just flash it with the non knox 4.3 rom from mrrobinson.
    you can revert back to the latest stock firmware with only root injected\implemented into it. you'll have all the stock features(and bloat, which you can remove, since you'll have root access, using an app like titaniumbackup.

download the firmware in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687

you want the latest official pre-rooted firmware(listed below), where it says T999. make sure it's for T999, and NOT T999L!

T999_UVUEMJC
    Official JB Firmware - Latest JB 4.3 Firmware

and you'll need Odin for PC, to flash the firmware:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390275921635705049

follow these instructions on how to flash, starting from "Second"

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771687
    Thanks guys.

Got Odin. Watched a good root video. Now to download the ROM I want. 4.3 sounds intriguing, as long as it still has WiFi calling.

I'll go read that thread. I can be taught, but sometimes I need help finding where to start. :)

4.3 absolutely has WiFi calling. that's a T-Mobile feature that will always remain on the OTA(over the air) updates, unless they decide to do away with that technology. there were many changes made from 4.1.x to 4.3. by the way, to disable the wi-fi from always scanning in 4.3, you have to turn off\uncheck the option in Settings > Wi-Fi > press "Menu" > Advanced > "Always allow scanning", when you do the update.

4.3 features, as per wiki;

Bluetooth low energy support.[112]
    Bluetooth Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.3 support
    OpenGL ES 3.0 support, allowing for improved game graphics[112]
    Restricted access mode for new user profiles[112]
    Filesystem write performance improvement by running fstrim command while device is idle[113]
    Dial pad auto-complete in the Phone application[112]
    Improvements to Photo Sphere[114]
    Reworked camera UI, previously introduced on Google Play edition phones[115]
    Addition of "App Ops", a fine-grained application permissions control system (hidden by default)[116]
    4K resolution support[117]
    Many security enhancements, performance enhancements, and bug fixes[118]
    System-level support for geofencing and Wi-Fi scanning APIs
    Background Wi-Fi location still runs even when Wi-Fi is turned off
    Developer logging and analyzing enhancements
    Added support for five more languages
    Improved digital rights management (DRM) APIs
    Right-to-left (RTL) languages now supported[112]
    Clock in the status bar disappears if clock is selected as lockscreen widget

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Bean_(operating_system)#Jelly-Bean
    It sounds like Odin might be falling due to your phone having an att build.prop. If you are sure it is an sgh-t999, want to keep root, and have the know how, you can make this process a lot easier by updating your firmware to the last one before the 4.3 update (otherwise you will be stuck with Knox). Afterward update your recovery and flash a more current touchwiz ROM.

Make sure to read the entire OP of these threads and flash in recovery.

To update your firmware without having to use Odin, read the following thread:

There is a few options when it comes to choosing a custom recovery. I'm currently using Philz. If you get Philz, make sure to get the d2lte version. The thread for Philz recovery is below:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Oh, man. The road blocks. They are legion. And sometimes circular :eek:

I've tried updating the bootloader (from CM v6.0.3.1) as described here:

But CWM aborts the installation:

Finding update package
    Opening update package
    Installing update
    assert failed: getprop(ro.product.device) == "dttmo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2tmo"
    error in external/sd/T999_UVDMD5_firmware_v4.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Which I figured has something to do with what it's finding in build.prop as mentioned above. Except I just looked in my build prop, and it says it's an SGH-T999 made by samsung.

ro.build.product.model=SGH-T999
    ro.product.brand=samsung

But then it says that ro.product.model is obsolete, and to use ro.product.device ... which looks like it's set to ... canada? ro.product.device=d2can

Which certainly doesn't match dttmo or d2tmo.

So ... edit the build.prop file, then?

I downloaded an editor to do it. It does whine about not being able to open /storage/sdcard0/buildprop.tmp, not sure if that's going to be an issue. I "re-rooted" with CWM_SuperUserv3.0.7 so I can now use root explorer again (which is how I looked at the build.prop file) ...

At that point I guess I'd flash the radio/bootloader above, reboot to Odin mode, and try the Knox-Free 4.3 flash again?

Any red flags going up?

I'd highly recommend updating your recovery before doing much. Once you do that, try flashing the bootloader and the 4.3 ROM.The only red flag would be if you plan to use Odin since it is identifying as a different phone due to the build.prop.

Also, it sounds like the previous owner messed up when they modified the build.prop. You really shouldn't need to worry about editing it if you plan to switch ROMs since any new ROM is going to replace it anyways.