Review w/ VIDEO: Using a Samsung Infuse Car Dock with my Galaxy 2 Epic Touch

Search This thread

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
wakening commands is under the motion settings of the voice talk. turn off the Double tap option. in the car, the phone gets moved by the road and triggers the voice talk. I turned off the double tap ad it never turns on randomly now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Thanks,

That is so obvious, I feel like a moron for not thinking about that.

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

JS_racer

Oct 29, 2011
ground the **** out of the desktop dock and removed the back and it fits my kickstand case just fine (still looks great) . did a little at a time with a dremel. car dock there is no hope to use a case. (use the garmin mount most days, works great) still a super deal.

bubbles7361

Mar 22, 2010
Boise
Thanks for the great tip! Got both docks for under $20 tonight. The clerk looked confused when the price came up, but just shrugged and took my payment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

DevonSloan

Oct 20, 2011
Does anyone know how to cleanly (non-destructively) remove the sliding usb lock portion of the car dock? I dont want the dock app opening up, and would be happy enough just removing that bottom portion and plugging the charger directly into the phone. I dont want to just break it off, though, I'd prefer to cleanly remove it. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
For those of you that are still having trouble with the the doc launching a default program when docking the phone, just install the app call dock nothing. It will allow you to set that program as the default docking program and once docked it will do nothing just like the title implies.

Here is a link:
http://amzn.to/vwjQD2

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mikest1978

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
Thanks for the great tip! Got both docks for under $20 tonight. The clerk looked confused when the price came up, but just shrugged and took my payment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

I just got both my docks tonight. The girl kept playing with the register till I mentioned to her that it's a special deal and the desktop dock is supposed to be 50 cents. She has an Infuse as her phone, she immediately went over and picked up a pair for herself too.

Great deal, thanks for giving us a heads up.

DevonSloan

Oct 20, 2011
For those of you that are still having trouble with the the doc launching a default program when docking the phone, just install the app call dock nothing. It will allow you to set that program as the default docking program and once docked it will do nothing just like the title implies.

Here is a link:

Thx. I'll try it out, but will this just be running another app instead of the stock dock app? Part of what I am trying to do is get it to run nothing extra - same as if it were just plugged in to charge.

Mikest1978

Oct 24, 2011

Here is a link:

exactly what I've been looking for! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear

Here is a link:

Can this for example, do nothing in the car dock, but activate the dock software when in the desk dock? Or is it all or nothing?

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Dock nothing

It will allow you to set it as the default program once for each (Car and Home). Once set as the default it does nothing, kinda... OK, it actually launches itself, but does nothing and drops you right back on the screen you were on before docking. You phone still knows it is docked because of the pin-out, but after the first docking with Dock Nothing it will be as close to not docking as you can get without changing the hardware.

For those running a profile management program, it does not interfere with that. Still lets your dock profiles launch, but keeps the other programs like Vlingo from auto launching.

http://amzn.to/vwjQD2 <-- Link

Just try it, it's free and easy to uninstall if you don't like it. :p

-

Reactions: JimSmith94

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
It will allow you to set it as the default program once for each (Car and Home). Once set as the default it does nothing, kinda... OK, it actually launches itself, but does nothing and drops you right back on the screen you were on before docking. You phone still knows it is docked because of the pin-out, but after the first docking with Dock Nothing it will be as close to not docking as you can get without changing the hardware.

For those running a profile management program, it does not interfere with that. Still lets your dock profiles launch, but keeps the other programs like Vlingo from auto launching.

http://amzn.to/vwjQD2 <-- Link

Just try it, it's free and easy to uninstall if you don't like it. :p

-

Perfect, thank you! :D

Blu3Fr0g

Ordered Mine Today!

Just ordered one from AT&T and the total with the California Sales Tax was still under $20 which is not a bad deal. Now if I could find something as cool for my HTC View 4G, I would be able to have the totally nerded out Dashboard. ;)

springsyeti

Jun 27, 2010
Called At&t store that had both in stock and the salesperson stated she would give me a deal, $42 dollars for both. Took here awhile because she just returned from vacation. Anyway, I went in and asked her how much for just the car dock and it came to $17 and change. Then asked how much for the desktop dock and she told me $18.01, they sales guy next to her just about broke his neck looking at her screen. Asked for my number and I told her that I was not a customer of At&t, paid my money and walked out... Bit of dremel work and I am good. May look at grinding the car dock later to help with case fitment.

Does anyone know how to change the apps listed when docked on the desktop?

Edit: found it under setting when it is docked and shortcuts.. This helped clean up the cord clutter.

Last edited:

admckillip

May 10, 2011
Anyone still getting AT&T to honor the $18 price for both?

EDIT: WOW, what a bad first post. I misread the previous post... I apologize.

Last edited:

jaime2563

Jul 2, 2010
Anyone still getting AT&T to honor the $18 price for both?

Yup, picked up a set today for $19 at a local at&t store. They had one car dock left. The sales rep was surprised at the total cost , scored !!!OR=

I'm ready to mod my new desktop dock. Some are using dremmels and round file on the inside edges and others are removing the back plate.
Which of these two methods is better? Seems like removing the back plate would be easier but does it have the best fit?

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com

I'm ready to mod my new desktop dock. Some are using dremmels and round file on the inside edges and others are removing the back plate.
Which of these two methods is better? Seems like removing the back plate would be easier but does it have the best fit?

A combo of both IMO. Pop the back off (it can go back in just fine if you change your mind). With the back off see how she sit in the dock and file down the sides to your liking.

-

Reactions: jaime2563

jaime2563

Jul 2, 2010
A combo of both IMO. Pop the back off (it can go back in just fine if you change your mind). With the back off see how she sit in the dock and file down the sides to your liking.

-

Thanks. How are different people removing the backing of the desktop dock without causing to much damage?

CrozB

Apr 9, 2006
Bay Area, CA
www.CrozB.com
Thanks. How are different people removing the backing of the desktop dock without causing to much damage?

Flat head screwdriver. Insert into the little rectangular whole and pry up and out. It'll pop out and not break. If you want, wrap the tip if the flat head with tape for less impact marking on the rectangular hole.

Reactions: jaime2563

djjosh

Feb 14, 2011
Just got my docks today 17.01 + .50 + tax.
I had to grind down the the bottom of the car dock so the usb part can slide in can slide up whithout having to bend.

Sent from my GS2ET4g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to share my results of trying the Samsung Infuse Car Dock with my Galaxy 2 Epic Touch. It is an Epic success :eek:

Click for Video

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

I have included a video because there was a number of people that were concerned about the stability, holding power, and the ease of docking and undocking on a dock that was not designed for our phone. As you can see, the phone goes in and out of the dock with ease one handed. It also sits in the dock well tight enough to support the weight of the attached Mac Mini. The package includes the dock, it’s stand as well as an adhesive plate for mounting on the dash if desired. Although the dock does allow you to plug a power supply directly to the dock, the power supply is not included, which is pretty much the norm. The dock also has an audio output port, however when I tested this the audio is not rerouted to this port and comes from the speaker of the phone. The workaround for this is to plug the audio in to the headphone jack of the phone itself, which this dock does accommodate for. Last of all, as you can see from the pictures, the dock does have the proper cut outs for the speaker and camera on the back, so in theory you can always video your driving habits :)

Members on this Forum are reporting that they are picking up this dock from their Local AT&T stores for about $18. I purchased mine from Amazon HERE for over $30 and am very happy I did (though I wish I had found the $18 deal first).

Pros:
    Easy to use
    Does not require attaching power to the phone like a universal dock would
    Hold the phone very well with little vibration

Cons:
    Audio out from the dock does not seem to work with the Epic Touch --> UPDATE: As pointed out in the reply below, the audio out on the back of the dock works just fine if you adjust the settings.
    Heads up:

Just went to the AT&T store to pick up an Infuse car dock... rang up as $17.50. The sales guy tried to sell me the desktop dock as well. I asked how much it was, so he scanned it and it rang up for $0.01. There's a bundled discount when you buy both together. So I paid $17.51 total for the car dock and desktop dock.

thanks for the tip OP, car dock works great! Desktop dock is a little snug, but it fits.
    Thanks for the review and pics!

BTW, the current price at AT&T online is $17.99 +tax, free 2 day shipping.

Link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ails/?LOSGId=accessoryBucket&q_sku=sku5190308

The best price for the epic touch specific mount (from a reputable source) is still $39.99. Good amount of savings in this deal.
    Audio out works you have to go into dock settings from the main settings menu and check audio mode.

Wanted to add more pros;

Bluetooth routes to headset instead of speakers if a call comes in

Media volume stays at last set instead if lowering once plugged in

Screen stays on instead of timing out.
    Dock Fix-Popping off the back

Removed the back of the dock by prying up through speaker vent (you will hear popping noise as one of the two pop-rivets releases), then leveraging the edge, working around toward the top with multiple narrow screwdrivers (kind-of like taking a bike tire off of the rim). Phone now fits flush with usb port (backing totally removed), so no pressure on port, though sides still make for a tight fit. May try to modify backing so I can reinsert at later point.
    :)